Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Careers Challenge: a legacy

ArrowJoy4ArrowJoy4 Posts: 793 Member
This is the first ever challenge I've made, and I hope you enjoy it!
The title is fairly self-explanatory: this challenge revolves around careers! The goal is to play a family legacy, with each generation focusing on one career. The challenge finishes when your final generation reaches max level of the last career. Obviously the fewer packs you have the shorter the legacy will be, and this is more of a free-form challenge so you don't have to do a specific career for a specific generation. The idea is that you pick the career that best suits your sim rather than forming your sim to fit the career, so you pay attention to them as they grow and develop and figure out which they'd have the most fun with. Since it's more free form, there will be some rules that are more flexible, but there are some that are more strict.

The rules:
  • each generation needs to get to level 10 of their career, or otherwise max out levels. If you fail to reach max level before your sims dies, you Cannot proceed to the next generation's career. Either make their ghost continue, ambrosia/magic them back to life, or start from the top if you want max difficulty
  • Each generation must be biologically related, so while you can adopt you do need to birth a baby that will continue the legacy
  • The next generation's work will not be counted until their parent has maxed out their career
  • Spouses may count towards career completion, but they have to be married. If they fail to max level then it doesn't count towards completion, but you may still proceed to the next generation and just have to re-do that career. You may have more than one spouse, and you might choose to get married like the day before they die, but if you divorce they no longer count even if the spouse did max level
  • you must keep every object your sim earns at each level and put it somewhere in your house
  • Avoid cheats as much as possible (personally I had to use debug a lot, and I used health cheats on robots because they were always on the brink of death for some reason and the repairman never worked)

Flexible rules:
  • if you want to prolong the challenge, do both branches of a career (ie. both author and journalist for the writing career). Otherwise, just one branch is fine (and apparently once you pick a branch your sim can never do the other branch)
  • you may choose to live in the same house for the entire duration
  • Have each generation live in completely different worlds and sections of each world
  • Freelancers, vet, odd-jobs, retail, and part-time jobs do not need to count as careers but you may include them and decide how many of those you wish to do
  • Keep generation 1 around as a ghost and have each generation visit them to pay respects in the form of gifts and/or hugs, or selfies together
  • try to get every occult type into your family tree (it's funnier to do vampires early on because then they'll show up randomly in later gens, if you like that sort of chaos) (I also included special sims, like father winter, the flower bunny, patchy the scarecrow, and the sad clown)
  • You can also try to give each sim a different aspiration, to complete every career And aspiration type
  • You can choose to have each sim only have 1 career count towards completion, or you can do multiple careers per sim (but of course any you fail to max level it doesn't count, it just means you can move to the next gen anyway)
  • take a picture/have a painting made of each generation and put it in a special place
  • have a pet for every generation, or every other generation
  • If you really really want more rigidity and planning, you can choose to have specific careers for specific generations, like gen 1 must be a vet and and gen 7 must be a journalist
  • if you have twins and keep them living together their entire lives, both can count towards career completion but only one of them can pass the legacy to their child
  • Have two kids initially and have both them and their spouses count towards career completion, then have their kids live together and both working towards completion so you have 2 legacy branches going simultaneously
  • Make each generation have at least two kids, one to continue the legacy and the other to take over the house and take care of the parents in old age. It also makes it more uncertain of who will continue the legacy and which career you'll end up with
  • any clothing you earn from your career must be given to them as a regular outfit
  • try to win as many sims awards as possible (you get one every time you reach a max career level)
  • try to use each of the traits at least once
  • try to get every time of physical coloration (for example, every hair color, eye color, and throw in a few inhuman skin colors)

When I did this challenge I ended up with 17 generations, since 7 of them did not have spouses to help out. Well, 2 of those did, but those spouses didn't count since one did a part-time and the other did a freelancer, which are career types I didn't include in my challenge. I also have 8 expansion packs, which means mine was a longer challenge than others might be (also I didn't actually have my first gen do a career, but instead be a jungle explorer because I wasn't expecting it to become any kind of challenge at the time XD)

With 11 careers in base game (excluding freelancer), the minimum number of generations (if each one has a spouse) is 5-6 generations. If each one and their spouse manages 2 careers each, it's only like 2 generations XD
The maximum number, if you have absolutely every single pack + never get married + include stuff like freelancers and retail + do both branches of each career, is somewhere around 50-60 generations. Obviously that's a bit daunting, so it's up to you what you want to count as career completion! And if you're up for that challenge, I fear you!

I know this isn't as planned out as other challenges, but it's also the only one I've ever completed because I like Freedom and Chaos. So if you're like me and have struggled with most other challenges, maybe this is the one for you!

Happy simming!
Post edited by ArrowJoy4 on

Comments

• ArrowJoy4ArrowJoy4 Posts: 793 Member
    Just to give an overview of my own challenge:
    Generation 1: jungle explorer, had a kid with father winter, married after death, lived in willow creek
    Gen 2: fisherman, wife was an alien gardener, lived in top left Windenberg
    Gen 3: alien veterinarian, had a kid with the flower bunny, spouse had no career, lived in brindleton bay
    Gen 4: blue-skinned athlete, wife was a secret agent, lived all over the city
    Gen 5: entertainer, husband was critic, had a poly with another woman with no career, lived in oasis springs
    Gen 6: vampire tech guru and criminal, never married, lived in forgotten hollow
    Gen 7: Vampire astronaut, spouse was a painter, divorced a few generations later so I counted it anyway, lived in newcrest
    Gen 8: detective, married co-worker, found out grim reaper can't have kids, lived in oasis springs
    Gen 9: mixologist, married a spellcaster teacher, lived in glimmerbrook
    Gen 10: actress, married a spellcaster business man, lived in del sol valley
    Gen 11: spellcaster chef, married an island spirit who worked as a lifeguard, lived top left sulani
    Gen 12: spellcaster style influences, husband was a judge, attended college, lived in britechester
    Gen 13: spellcaster scientist, married a tech guru (didn't count due to Gen 6), accidentally turned ghost, lived in del sol valley
    Gen 14: spellcaster engineer, husband worked retail, lived in the city
    Gen 15: spellcaster writer, wife was a mermaid freelance artist, lived in windenberg
    Gen 16: merman conservationist, wife was a mermaid politician, lived in the shipwreck
    Gen 17: Mermaid doctor, never married, lived in brindleton bay

Gen 3 was nearly the blue-skinned style influencer who had 4 kids with patchy the scarecrow, or the blue-skinned writer who had a kid with the sad clown. Gen 6 became so famous that they constantly showed up to crash future generations hangouts, but they were to famous to talk to. Gen 12 ended up being semi immortal because she could brew rejuvenation potions so I kept checking in to give her some. Gen 13 accidentally became a ghost in a ghost goo serum incident and amazingly was the first time I realised sims might die before reaching level 10. And this is only half of the chaos!

Overall, it's a great way to try lots of things you might never do!
  • RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    I've bookmarked this. It looks great!
  • MocaJavaMocaJava Posts: 1,392 Member
    This is a cool idea. I've been looking for something new to do, I may give this a go!
    Okay time to make a Sim and begin! Wish me success. :smiley:
    Rawla wrote: »
    Okay time to make a Sim and begin! Wish me success. :smiley:

I'm so excited to see how it goes for you!!
    My founder had four kids! Not so great for trying to complete a career so I'm going to start over. lol
    My founder had four kids! Not so great for trying to complete a career so I'm going to start over. lol

oh ha! XD good luck with the reboot!
    edited August 2021
    ArrowJoy4 wrote: »

Thanks! Going to start in new Cottage Living world on the 64x64 lot. I'm not sure which career I'll choose for my founder yet. I'm sure it'll come to me when I start playing. :smiley:

ArrowJoy4 wrote: »

Thanks! Going to start in new Cottage Living world on the 64x64 lot. I'm not sure which career I'll choose for my founder yet. I'm sure it'll come to me when I start playing. :smiley:

Sounds like you're playing it exactly right! I hope the new pack is tons of fun!
    Glad I'm doing it right. The new pack is quickly becoming a favorite. Thanks for a fun challenge! :smile:
    Figured I'd peek in and share my new founder with you. Her name is Kimberly Grace. I've started with giving her the Acting career.
    Loves Outdoors, Geek, Gloomy

311_Width_K_Grace_Sims_4_Founder.png
    Oooooo she's so pretty!!! I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job with her!