Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More then one best friend

I think it's ridiculous the Sims can't have more then one best friend. I want my Sim to be best friends with her spouse and her best friend. People can have more then one best friend in real life. So, I don't understand why EA limits Sims to just one best friend. I don't think there should be a limit on how many best friends a Sim can have. Most people have one or two best friends. But, some people can be like the friends on F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

I also have couples who are best friends with other couples. Family friends should also be a thing. As in real life. There is the family you're born into and the family you chose.

It just seems The Sims needs to improve on the kinds of relationships that people do have in real life.

That's my rant for the day. What are your thoughts?

[img][/img]AA9LL96.png
[img][/img]D7ADJ0j.png
[img][/img]iRVh4xQ.png

Comments

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I completely agree and would like to see this change. I actually think friendship as a whole could be updated to make the game more interesting/complex. Friendship themes are a whole area of gameplay that's barely developed.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    edited October 2021
    I mean by definition it doesn't make sense to have more than one best friend, only one person can be the best after all.

I'm literal like that B)
    Post edited by Caitxcat on
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I understand this literally too. There can't be multiple best friends, only one, otherwise best doesn't mean best... ;) I don't think it would make sense to have more than one.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I was surprised that they could have only one. Like, a child can only have one parent as a best friend instead of both parents.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    There can only be one best, but saying that I really wished that they would add a second category for friends who are very close. This category would not have a certain amount of sims or animals, yes I did say animals.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,829 Member
    I'm good with one best friend. We should have had a poll. :p
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2021
    If you're not opposed to using mods MCCC can allow your sims to have more than one best friend.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    "Best" is a superlative.

One can have good friends, and better friends. But grammatically, "best" is singular.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Caitxcat wrote: »
    I mean by definition it doesn't make sense to have more than one best friend, only one person can be the best after all.

I'm literal like that B)

Didn't any of you ever watch The Mindy Project?

To quote Mindy Kaling, "best friend isn't a person, it's a tier!"
    But also, this is yet another one of those situations where honestly, if you want your sim to only have one best friend, then your sim can have only one best friend. Why not open up the option for other simmers to make their friendships work differently if that seems more realistic to them?
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    But also, this is yet another one of those situations where honestly, if you want your sim to only have one best friend, then your sim can have only one best friend. Why not open up the option for other simmers to make their friendships work differently if that seems more realistic to them?

Funny, I have this same thought when it comes to allowing polyamory without having to use mods. Whether it's a guy with two girlfriends who are in love with him and with each other, or whether you want to simulate a polygamous religious tradition, the option should be there. Having multiple best friends (I'm with Mindy Kaling on this!) is just the beginning.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    If you're not opposed to using mods MCCC can allow your sims to have more than one best friend.

I was about to suggest that, too. I use that option myself.

I consider the term to mean more of a "best level" friend rather than THE best friend, so allowing multiples makes sense for me. But I do understand why some would want it to be more literal.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,141 Member
    I use mccc to have several best friends, but only if I want them to be near to my sim more than usual. (Sorry for the bad english, I can't explain it better). Mostly it's not more then 3 sims as best friends at all, it's like how was in teenage times when I was hanging around with my best friends.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Sims could have multiple Best Friends in previous Sims games. The first time I realized it was an exclusive relationship in Sims 4, I was fulfilling that aspiration to become best friends with a spouse, and I got a notification that my sim had drifted apart from her other bestie, and it made me sad. Then I did it again accidentally when I didn’t realize the other BF had already had a BF and I wiped them out. So I don’t even bother with it anymore because I don’t want to steal anyone’s BF.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    If you don't have an aversion to using mods, MCCC has a setting that allows your Sim to have multiple BFFs.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I am of the idea that you have a "best friend" who you confide in, but not anyone else and then you have good friends, the ones you can depend on and then the rest are merely acquintances...but that's not necessarily true in the Sims. Anyone who can pull a jet ski out of their back pocket can do anything they want. :D

I have MCC's setting to have more besties.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    Everyone is different, but I just think it's a little curious to categorically think that no one can ever possibly have more than one best friend. I would say I have four, and it's five if you also count my sister, which I do. But they are all people I talk to or text with on a daily basis, barring unusual circumstances; they are all the people I want to tell immediately when something great or terrible happens, they are all people who I know would take my call at 3 a.m. in an emergency, and whose house I would drive to at the drop of a hat if they needed me. We've travelled together, and mourned for dead friends and family together. Most of us have had big fights with each other that we figured out how to resolve in a healthy and mature way.

I've known all of them for over a decade, some for thirty or forty years. We have different histories, and different memories together, but I can't think of a single one of them I'd kick off the lifeboat if it came down to it. There are also another three or four who I have just as much history with, but due to geographical distance and personal circumstances we don't talk as often, but in emergencies, we've still been there for each other, and we still have in-jokes from twenty years ago. If I would say that if any of them have any failings at all as friends, it's that none of them are remotely interested in the sims. :D

I don't know how I would elevate one of those people over another. I mean, there are other people who I do consider casual friends or warm acquaintances. And I am absolutely not an extrovert, I'm definitely not one of those people who has several hundred Facebook friends, or makes new friends all the time. But the friendships that I do have are pretty deep and longstanding, so... I don't know, it would seem very arbitrary to me to elevate one of them over the others.

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying, it makes perfect sense to me that TS4 should have the option for sims to be BFFs with their spouse, and their closest sibling, and their college roommate, and their lifelong best friend from sims scouts, if you want them to.
  • BlackkatnessBlackkatness Posts: 63 Member
    Well, I believe more then one can be the best at the same time. We do have team sports. We have elite squads.

I just think it should be a choice to have more then one best friend, because everyone's social dynamic is unique. A person can start out with one childhood best friend. But, then grows up and meets their soul mate. Many people are best friends with their own parents or siblings. Sometimes it's a sibling and a friend from school.

I do use CC and I will look into the mod you're suggestion. Would it conflict with other mods?
  • LoveDesiLoveDesi Posts: 15 Member
    It would be nice to have more options in that category.. Like Best Friend Trio, Confidant, friends with secrets, or a certain special friend group maybe.. Idk.. Just some ideas..😊😂😂🤷🏾
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Goodness, almost everyone has at least two best friends: their best girl/guy friend, and their spouse/significant other. Then you get into people who are also on this level - someone's parents maybe, or siblings, maybe an aunt/uncle or cousin. That's at least THREE best friends right there, assuming one from each overarching category. Yeah, I don't think anyone on this planet has only ONE best friend unless they're a hermit who knows literally no one.

For everything else, there's mods...
  • LoveDesiLoveDesi Posts: 15 Member
    @WildIrishBanshee 👉🏾Thats funny..😊 I agree with you.
  • WritingAndSimmingWritingAndSimming Posts: 21 Member
    I agree, it's quite annoying especially with aspirations.

My sim is best friends with her sister, but in order to get her soulmate aspiration completed, she needs to break that and be best friends with her wife. Multiple best friends would be a good addition.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,632 Member
    I’ve modded my game to allow more than one best friend, because of the game’s restrictions on being best friends only with your romantic interest. Once you get beyond middle school, you can have more than one close friend. Your soulmate? Yes. Your sibling? Yes. Your soul sister? Yup. That Bromance? Why not?

If the exclusive nature of the word “best” is the problem, maybe we need more types of friendships allowed in game.
  • JustMeAlbJustMeAlb Posts: 371 Member
    I found it jarring when I later declared another Best Friend and the title got yanked away from the previous one, luckily sims don't seem to have much memory.
    The cake is a lie