Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Wordpress. How to start for very beginners.

Comments

• superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Just wanted to ask this again, but how does somebody make subpages on Wordpress?
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • BorntorunBorntorun Posts: 76 Member
    I'd also love to know! :)
  • rosethesimmerrosethesimmer Posts: 109 Member
    I think for a better layout, type your wordpress name, then ".wordpress", then ".com", then "/wp-admin". I looks something like this: websitename.wordpress.com/wp-admin
  • ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    This is probably a stupid question. But I seem to be struggling with it. Once you have posts to put into your pages. how do you get them into the page so that it is like a story? Do you have to manually put in a "next post" button. Because i'm just being blind and not seeing it.
  • LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    So how do you import pictures in Wordpress? I come from using Blogger....
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
  • miss_eulenaugemiss_eulenauge Posts: 250 Member
    One day, I will appear here and ask questions on how I set this up... I am fairly happy with posting in the forum for now (and don't have time to set *anything* up), but someday... :smiley:
    Thank you for the help and information that's already here, it looks super helpful! :)
    | Amelia Britton - A Lifetime of Sims || Louise Aldrich - A Year-Long Challenge |
    time zone: Berlin, Germany - EA Gallery ID: Noctuara
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,374 Member
    @miss_eulenauge It's great that you're writing your questions here. I set up my website / blog a year ago and found really good help in this thread.
    It is my experience that there is a lot of help to be found among other Forum members. YouTube also has a lot of useful guides, but as I am Danish, I can unfortunately not give you a link.
    Good luck with your project when you get this far.
    @MonaSolstraale I already tried to set up a blog about a month ago, and IllusoryThrall was very nice in helping me. But my RL is quite stressful, so I had to give up after a whole afternoon of pointless fiddling (until way too late). I really plan to go back to that project once I can, and when I do I'll be sure to ask here :)
    I'm happy with posting on the forum for now, since my current SimLit (the only one that has ever lived longer than 3 days :# ) is part of a challenge where everyone posts their updates in the challenge thread, and the other challengers act read and comment, and it's super fun. Eventually though, I'll want to re-post all that on a blog, because I would like to keep the updates together, or at least more together than it is possible in a 100-page-thread, where 4-12 people post updates and comments on a daily basis :smiley:
    When I tried to set up a blog before, I had a lot of fun, but got sidetracked fiddling with the template pointlessly. Very much like the original author, Wordpress had me confused about the basics (like the difference between Posts and Pages), and all that... And like them, I do better with labeled pictures than with lengthy explanations, especially since my mother tongue is German and I'd have to google the more technical terms to even understand an explanation ;)
    | Amelia Britton - A Lifetime of Sims || Louise Aldrich - A Year-Long Challenge |
    edited June 2021
    @miss_eulenauge I use a free theme and I have not created a template.
    There are many themes to choose from and they all contain a template for building your website, so look for a free theme that suits your needs or ask those who have a theme that appeals to you.
    In the beginning I used a blog format but I find it more manageable with a permanent front page.
    I use Pages for my chapter overviews and the pages that are a permanent part of my website.
    I use Post for chapters and weekly updates.
    It is my intention to make it simple and manageable for myself and my readers.
    I have noticed that there are some really active story threads in the Forum and I think that is great. I have tried to follow some of the stories, but it is difficult when you do not participate yourself.
    If you want to preserve your history for a long time, it sounds like a good idea to save them on a website. I decided to make a website after my stories were deleted with the closure of the Danish forums.
    edited October 2021
    How could I make an image clickable like a link?
    Could I then insert that image into a table or gallery of some sort? (And how could I do that anyways, without or with the link?)

I'd like to make sort of a "Gallery" as Table of Contents, showing the featured image from each posts, so people can then click on these (or on text underneath if I can figure that out...)
    Like @raerei3 (here) or @IllusoryThrall (here, scroll down a little)

I am using the theme "Colinear" right now, if that matters.
    Thank you!
    edited October 2021
    @miss_eulenauge Hi I assume your question applies to WordPress. I will try to illustrate the process with some pictures.
    I would really like to elaborate on my answer, but I have an appointment now.
    Pl7Ca0ul.png
    First you can make a line Clickable by highlighting it and tapping this symbol (-)

8LhanKdl.png
    You can highlight an image in the same way

MvGkgcrl.png
    Once you start typing your reference in the small box, WordPress will provide some suggestions for pages and post.
    Choose the one that fits and save
    Have a nice day :)
    @MonaSolstraale Thank you, that explanation is awesome! Have a nice day too :smiley:
    I was able to link a picture, so thank you so much for that! The gallery thing or similar didn't work yet though, so if you have time again and/or know something... :)
    @miss_eulenauge When you ask about the gallery, is it here in the Sims Forum or do you have a gallery on your WordPress?
    Sorry for not explaning enough! Now that I have a bit more time I went ahead and got some pictures:
    I would like to be able to do something like these two, and I don't really know how. Just something that enables me to show the post's featured images in that sort of tiled pattern next to each other (in chronological order) so I can then look back easily and such.
    Hope this makes it clearer!
    3TRq9Ad.png
    3TRq9Ad.png

@miss_eulenauge To create a Gallery you must have some page builder feature.
    I have a free plugin called Elementor. It automatically came with my theme. It allows you to build a website as if you were building with Lego bricks.
    I have not put myself very much into all the possibilities, as it goes far beyond my needs.
    I do not know if it can work with your theme.
    I just have to add that I myself have purchased a domain, so I do not know if a free WordPress.com site has any restrictions. Others may be able to provide an answer.
    In the following image you can see options for creating image galleries.
    SpVzO3yl.png

Are you supposed to be able to click on the image. Does each image represent a chapter?
    I know that @ThePlumbob, for example, uses images that refer to chapters.
    I think she made the composite image in an image editing program. She's not active in the forum right now so I can not ask.
    Each image refers to a page with 10 chapter pages.
    You must publish the page, but it does not have to be visible on your page except when you click on an image or text link.

My reference to my stories can be found via the banners on this page.
    They can also be found in a dropdown menu, but the dropdown menu is not really necessary.

I hope I have understood your question correctly .... otherwise you are welcome again.
    I have personally found many answers on how to solve a problem, by watching tutorials on YouTube.
    Remember you can always experiment on a page and save it as a pending until you want to publish it.
    @MonaSolstraale Thank you! It actually worked.

For other curious people (and myself if I've forgotten how to do it in 2 months), here's the explanation:
    First, insert a table where you want your pictures to go. You will be asked how many rows and columns you want - for my theme (which has a sidebar among other things) 3 or 4 columns work best in terms of picture size and readability, but you might also choose 7 or something. You will be able to change this later, so just choose something.
    aryFkEm.png
    Next, insert the image you want to go into the table first. Insert it like any other image as its own block under the table.
    D86fgio.png
    Next, select the image and make appear in smaller quality. This image will only be really small, so it'll help loading times if you do not have 40 tiny 4k images in your table of contents ;)
    0mq01m2.png
    After that, paste it into the table where you want it to go. (Crtl-X, then Crtl-V). After you have done this, you will not be able to do the typical image-y things anymore, as it will appear like text in Wordpress. So make sure to put in a caption, resize it, replace it with another picture, make it oval or anything like that *before* you put it into the table. If you forget something, just delete the image from the post and put in a new one.
    ZEPocA9.png
    Now, you can write something underneath the image - just click behind it and type like you would in word, or link the image to a specific site (arrow 2), or just paste the next image. For me it was better to have the table with a fixed width (arrow 3) so all the columns were the same width and it looked neat despite sometimes odd picture proportions.
    JfOrz3h.png
    This is where you can add rows or columns later on, so you don't need to redo it completely if you change your mind.
    KjaOix4.png
    And... done! (Or something like it. I will probably exchange these pictures for others and link everything when I actually write it the posts, but for now this is quite pretty already!)
    @miss_eulenauge I'm glad it worked :smiley:
    Your guide with pictures of your whole process is a really good idea :+1:
    I actually think I will save the guide for a day I myself will need a gallery.
    I'm also terribly forgetful when it comes to processes I do not use often :lol:
    edited October 2021
    Thank you! I was going off of the first page here where I really liked the explanation style - it's just a bit easier to understand than trying to tell what to do.

I just think it's really cool to have the images in one place like that and be able to look back at e.g. your current heir's toddler self. But then again, I started writing through a challenge here that is basically "post 1 picture per day of your playtime with this Sim, writing actual story is optional", so... :)
    Sorry about doubleposting!
    @MonaSolstraale Another question: What I said about sizing down images - I was really just guessing. How do I best do that? Do I need to downsize or convert every single one before uploading them to Imgur, or can I do it either there somehow or in Wordpress? And what would a good size be?
    edited October 2021
    I always upload my photos full size to Imgur.
    t5M3xx4h.png
    I find a specific image by selecting "Images" in Imgur.

dUtOKdvh.png
    In the picture you can see how you can set the size at the bottom.
    Once I have selected a size I copy the Direct Link and upload it to my website.

Here I have selected Huge Thumbnail for you to see details
    Below you can see

dUtOKdvl.png
    Large Thumbnail

dUtOKdvm.png
    Medium

dUtOKdvt.png
    Small
    I hope once again I have understood your question correctly :)

NB: It is only necessary to set the size once because you can scroll back and forth between the images by pressing the two white >>
    @MonaSolstraale Thank you! This was what I wanted to know. I had heard people say that it's better to upload images in some sort of compressed format or with less resolution, but wasn't sure at all about the details.

(and thank you about the white >>, that is sooo useful!)
    edited October 2021
    @miss_eulenauge There is also an option to set your preferred image size in Media Setting in WP if you upload images directly to your WP.
    Personally, I always use Imgur, except for my Header images.
    My WordPress Blog has long recommended me to update to WordPress 5.9
    Normally I update all Plugins when a new version is ready, but WordPress 5.9 seems to contain major changes. It is recommended to take a Back-up of the entire website, as well as to uninstall all Plugins before installation and I honestly do not want to.
    Does anyone have experience with this update?
  • FeroshaCoutoraFeroshaCoutora Posts: 142 Member
    My WordPress Blog has long recommended me to update to WordPress 5.9
    Normally I update all Plugins when a new version is ready, but WordPress 5.9 seems to contain major changes. It is recommended to take a Back-up of the entire website, as well as to uninstall all Plugins before installation and I honestly do not want to.
    Does anyone have experience with this update?

I'm running WordPress 5.9 right now. Overall, I'd say it's pretty different in how it handles themes and customization, like there's so much more you do with blocks now to get the site look you want. I bought myself a custom theme as a holiday treat, making it a little less painful because everything was new, and I had an instruction guide. Still, it was a bit of a learning curve! And I don't know how well my old site would have transitioned over.

In RE: backing up your sight and uninstalling your plugins, I'll say I nearly lost my sight once after a problem with plugins and sobbed on the phone to customer service, so now, I'm like, afraid not to backup!
    Dark Family Comedy & Paranormal Romance

r0AD3AN.jpg
    @FeroshaCoutora Thanks for your reply :)
    I fear that update contains far more than I need.
    I'm pretty happy with the pretty simple structure I have on my website now. I already have Elementor as part of my theme and I actually do not use any of the module building options I have access to.
    When I look at your website I think it is a work of art in itself. It is definitely positively meant. It is very beautiful in its construction :love:

Regarding backup, it is not the biggest problem. My website is already set to send a complete backup to my Dropbox once a month and a minor backup every week.
    I'm more apprehensive about uninstalling my plugins, even though I only have very few plugins installed. I have a Follow Button created with an HTML code. I'm afraid I'll have to start over to create a new code. Besides a short WordPress course I attended last winter, I am without prerequisites.
    I'm very much in doubt whether I should install that update because I think it's more the constant reminder of an available update that bothers my eye than the need for more options.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top