Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Footprint desperately needs to be fixed or disabled for all world except the DLC one

Seriously, the footprint is still playing havoc on every world except the Evergreen Harbor one.
I get it, it was never tested or meant to be used outside of the DLC it came in? I assume? Since the consequence is that every single world becomes smoggy if left alone? Even Sulani, giving the "amusing" consequence that the game insists Sulani is thriving and it is all smog and lung cancer everywhere. It doesn't help that 90% of the good looking building material is "Impact: Industrial".

You literally have to fight the game to stay neutral in most worlds.

Also, are the devs aware that if you turn the footprint "Off", the only consequence is that all worlds go 100% green after awhile? Why not having that function completely removed instead? Why the slow creep towards "green"?
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek

Comments

• kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Hm it seems to be the complete opposite for me and others based on what other people have said. It seems to creep towards neutral. Even the neighbourhoods in EH that were preset with different footprints go towards neutral when you play normally and change nothing. I did have a problem tho with a lot turning green when I didn't use any solar panels or green appliances. I also have a hard time getting Port promise to stay industrial.

The eco footprint system needs tweaking definitely.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »
    I did have a problem tho with a lot turning green when I didn't use any solar panels or green appliances.
    In my experience, the main purpose of those appliances is to generate your own water and electricity if you're living off the grid, with the green or industrial influence being just a side effect. You can also influence the footprint with building materials alone, although I have yet to find something to influence it in a major way, because before turning to mods, I used to struggle on either front, keeping neighbourhoods green or industrial. Just like a diet, which can start out great until your body gets used to it and you start gaining weight again, my neighbourhoods tend to go back to neutral after a while no matter what I do, in real time even when I'm not playing in them. I can leave the greenest neighbourhood to play with a family in another world for a few days, only to return and find that everything has turned back to neutral.

So yeah, even though everyone seems to have different experiences with the eco footprint, we all seem to agree that it needs tweaking (or fanmade mods, which are more reliable and better at fixing one thing without breaking another in the process).
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I haven't had any problems with eco states in particular, so I wouldn't like then turned off. They do naturally move towards neutrality, as confirmed by the devs in all the prerelease information. When I do not mess with anything (actions or builds), all the worlds always stay or becomes neutral. I will admit I haven't turned it off, though. If something is bugged out there I would not have a clue.

However, building is supposed to have pretty a large impact on this over time. Specifically all the buildings in the neighborhood. I'd 100% check if you have a bunch of BB with a certain eco score if it seems slanted.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    I haven't had any problems with eco states in particular, so I wouldn't like then turned off. They do naturally move towards neutrality, as confirmed by the devs in all the prerelease information. When I do not mess with anything (actions or builds), all the worlds always stay or becomes neutral. I will admit I haven't turned it off, though. If something is bugged out there I would not have a clue.

However, building is supposed to have pretty a large impact on this over time. Specifically all the buildings in the neighborhood. I'd 100% check if you have a bunch of BB with a certain eco score if it seems slanted.

Yeah I have checked every single item I put in the house to make sure I wasn't using eco items.

Though I think the eco appliances should have the most impact rather than a certain wallpaper for example
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    People say the worlds gravitate to "Neutral" but in Briteshester for example the place definitely go smoggy. I mean true, Victorian style city with coal heating and fireplaces everywhere... of course. But anyway. The fireplaces in the student areas must be removed or the commons and Darkwing house alone will turn the place disgusting after awhile.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,959 Member
    I've not played in Evergreen Harbour. I've had lots/neighbourhoods be agonisingly close to 'green', but still in the neutral zone. But then, I'm not playing households who are super into being green, they just own a few solar panels and wind turbines as well as a dew collector. Maybe I'll challenge myself at some point and see if I can get somewhere to go green!
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I have turned off everything that has to do with eco, and yet my footprint is constantly being changed to green. This is annoying! :#
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
    Busufu wrote: »
    I have turned off everything that has to do with eco, and yet my footprint is constantly being changed to green. This is annoying! :#

Yep. Seems you cannot actually Turn It OFF, you just turn off all Industrial influences, it seems. So all worlds, everywhere, will be green eventually.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I've had the opposite problem - in my latest save the main household has turned their entire neighborhood green, which is great because then I get the auroras.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    edited October 2021
    I love using the Industrial Effect on certain maps but I always use cheat codes for it.

My problem has always been that every lot I have played slowly goes green. Now if I want to play in a Industrial world I use CC. I added a negative environment score as a gameplay effect to some CC-walls and that made my game much more enjoyable.

For me having the Green state and the Industrial state for all the worlds is one of the best things with the pack.
    edited October 2021
    Today I visited the Spice district for the first time in this save, Eco Footprint has been turned off since the save started.
    Everyone coughing, air slightly yellow. (Yes, after a few hours the smog disappeared, but it should not have been there to begin with Footprint OFF).

Does EA even understand what "OFF" means in English?
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I don't have this problem. My green neighborhood stays green until I change something (landscaping seems to have the most effect) and my other ones are neutral at varying points on the scale. I haven't been to Evergreen Harbor in this save, so no idea where they are. However, though I haven't directly modded anything to do with the footprint, there could be a side effect from MCCC or another of my mods.