Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Build Mode vs Previous Build Modes

One common perception among Simmers is that the Sims 4 is much easier to build with than the Sims 3 or the Sims 2. Indeed, when I build, I notice that you just plop an object down and drag. Everything becomes very tactile. CAS becomes very tactile. You can just mold the Sims however you want with your cursor. Build/Buy also becomes highly tactile. And for many people, this is the definition of 'easier'.

However, with the easiness of Build Mode, the Build Mode also becomes less customizable. In the Sims 3 and the Sims 2, the constrainFloorElevation cheat code was quite cumbersome to use, but the cheat essentially allowed to player to alter the wall height relative to another wall height. In the Sims 4, you are merely given 3 standard wall heights. Period. This is definitely easier to build with, as you have 3 standard wall heights and you just click on them. But, you can't make the walls go any shorter or even taller, and there are no double-story windows like in earlier games. The Sims 4 also allows the ability to add more deco objects, and there are a ton of clutter items, but this comes with the lack of detailed animations. In the Sims 2, houses were barely cluttered up, and they had to be because Sims were very picky about stuff in the way. In the Sims 4, houses can be very cluttered up, and the Sims will just put the dish magically on the end table; somehow the empty dish would just teleport to the table.

The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 did allow houses to be built on uneven terrain, and the foundations might have walk-out basements. The Sims 3 World Adventures introduced a new style of basement, and this new style of basement was carried over to the Sims 4, but the old style wasn't. So, even though you can make basements in the Sims 4, you can't make them the old-fashioned way. Furthermore, the perfectly flat land in the Sims 4 would be perfect for uploading/sharing lots to the Gallery, whereas the house-on-a-cliff in the Sims 2 and Sims 3 would be best played in the original neighborhood, and the creator would have to share the whole neighborhood/world. (Speaking of the Gallery, the Gallery seems to be the only way to share Lots, while the Sims 2 Exchange or the Sims 3 Exchange just provided one way as players could also export the Sims2Pack file or Sims3Pack file and upload to a private website.)

The Sims 4 would have a lot of ways to decorate a house. You can put a chimney anywhere you want, even if that makes no sense. In the Sims 2 and the Sims 3, the location of the chimney makes logical sense, because that's where the fireplace is, and smoke comes out of the fireplace.

So, my core argument is that while the Sims 4 Build Mode is easier and much more intuitive for a wider audience, it also has to sacrifice a lot of old functionalities that might have been tedious to use, but made the overall Build Mode much more customizable. In other words, The Sims 4 swaps out customization options for accessibility by a greater audience.

As for me, I still prefer The Sims 3 Build Mode. I feel that The Sims 3 Build Mode is the middle ground and has cool functions from both the Sims 4 and the Sims 2.

Comments

• WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I went from the Sims 2 build mode to the Sims 4 build/buy and in many ways, Sims 4 is superior in that regard. It doesn't take endless fiddling to get things just right for one, or having to move sims to remove items that are the dreaded "in use." Just missing that annoying dance alone saves me hours of frustration! Almost anything build-wise you could do in 2 is streamlined in 4, a few clicks instead of a painstaking process. Oh yes, and one window, instead of separate build and buy.

Or you could just use rooms, and be really lazy lol. And the chimneys only really made sense in 2 if they were external...internal ones drove me batty. As far as clutter goes - there were plenty on Sims 2 who maxed out the clutter, and I do mean maxed it out. As in there isn't enough in any games Maxis made catalog for the clutter in their houses lmao. And there are those who are using clutter for the first time, as it finally makes sense.

Superior? Yes. Easier? Ehhh. I was never a great builder in any installment, but I think my Sims 1 houses had the most flair out of all of them. Outsides, at least - I'm better with interiors lol. But to each their own.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    No poll? 😄

I'm not a builder but I prefer the Sims 4 for it's ease of remodeling, altering, moving rooms, moving lots and rotating builds. I remember having to pass on numerous builds with homes that sat too far back or too close to the edge of the lot. And the constrainFloorElevation cheat led to much frustration trying to alter builds on which it had been used.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,641 Member
    I’m not much of a builder in any version of the game, but I could barely manage a cracker box house in Sims 3 before I got frustrated and threw in the towel. I still don’t build complete houses, but in Sims 4 I’ve managed to build some nice additions, basements and auxiliary buildings without resorting to curses. I love the room option for adding on or gardens, since I’m not much of a landscaper either. Looking back at Sims 3 recently, I also realized that I much prefer the build aesthetics in Sims 4, as well.
    Speaking of the Gallery, the Gallery seems to be the only way to share Lots, while the Sims 2 Exchange or the Sims 3 Exchange just provided one way as players could also export the Sims2Pack file or Sims3Pack file and upload to a private website.

I see lots offered on TSR and MTS pretty often. Some just link back to the gallery, but I wonder if they are downloadable from the CC sites.
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    I see lots offered on TSR and MTS pretty often. Some just link back to the gallery, but I wonder if they are downloadable from the CC sites.

I just took a look at the ModTheSims website, and selected a random house. I did not download the house, but I did open the Information tab, and under it, it looks like a trayitem. That would imply that the person had to choose the correct lot file under the Tray folder and put that lot file into the zip folder with pictures and upload to MTS. In other words, the Sims 4 method of sharing lots elsewhere is not as intuitive anymore as it was in the Sims 2/3, and the most intuitive way of sharing lots is the Gallery.

@cyncie