March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Rating on the Sims games.

2...Next

Comments

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited October 2021
    I do both when it comes to needs.

Filling the needs bar is a full time job in TS1. Its very difficult, and only gets easier when you can afford the better quality beds, showers, or skill higher in cooking etc which are all hard to do unless your needs are already high. Its gotten easier and easier in each iteration.

Sometimes I play families and work to keep their needs up. Others I use cheats to fill needs because i want to story tell or do some other simulation (run a business for example). If i want it extra challenging, i will enable needs. But usually running the shop is challenging enough. I consider it like playing survival vs creative mode. I do wish needing was more difficult in TS4 because it takes joy out of my "survival" mode because its too easy to fill.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

omg, I would die of boredom, how is that fun? Perfect Sims in a perfect world. To each their own, but to me I would have to turn it off and go find something to do to stimulate my brain.

It was quite stimulating and challenging to singlehandedly run a busy shop. Greeting customers, using sales socials to persuade customers to buy, keeping an eye out for when to pounce at just the right moment to ensure a sale, ringing up customers, restocking, and getting rid of sims who show up to socialize or loiter. If you ever get back to playing the game you should definitely try running a shop. So much fun. 🙂

I did play shops in TS4 and I still prefer Open for Business, but I have to say I didn't find it as disappointing as the critiques GTW got I actually liked that EP.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2021
    I have played many games in the franchise. I have played on PC, GameCube, Wii, PSP, Nintendo GBA, Micro and DS (all the DS variants), PS4 and mobile. I have a love/hate relationship with the games not on PC.

Sims 1 PC was the hardest because the needs were always in the red no matter what I did. It was also very limited compared to the other 3 games. No aging past children if you had a baby in the game. There were no days of the week and no weather to deal with. I very rarely played with any of the features of the expansion packs even though I had them all.

Sims 2 PC is where my heart is in regards to the series as a whole. I STILL play this game 17 years later (I have the Ultimate Collection on my Origin account and will keep it as long as I am able to play the game). I love the progression of the life stages, premade families, Sim customization options, personalities, aspirations, wants/fears, chemistry, attraction, jealousy, fighting, relationships, etc. There is NOTHING I do not enjoy in this game. Every time I play I discover something I had not done before. This is a COMPLETE game in my opinion. I just played the other day after taking about 3 months off because I needed yet another new laptop (I have played Sims 2 on 8 different laptops since it was released, having to get a new laptop after 2-5 years lol).

I also actually enjoyed the gameplay in Sims 3 PC but it was the physical appearance of the Sims themselves that kinda turned me off to the game. They looked like clay to me and just did not look as good as Sims in Sims 2. I have this game on my Origin account but haven't played it.

I also tried the PC version of The Sims Medieval and did not like that at all. I guess it deviated too much from the other PC games I was used to. I returned it less than a month after I bought it. I never bought the 2 expansion packs for it either.

I also have the PC versions of The Sims Stories. I loved Life Stories and Pet Stories (I have the custom neighborhoods from those 2 games in my Sims 2 UC game). I did not like Castaway Stories for PC (see above about Medieval because the same applies to Castaway Stories and why I returned both).

Sims 4 PC is just a total disappointment to me in terms of gameplay. I get bored after only an hour because of the lack of features I have been used to since Sims 2 and 3. The Sims in the game look the best they have ever looked in the franchise, even compared to Sims 2. This is the only reason I try each pack as they come out if I am interested in the pack. The gameplay just isn't there to hold my interest.

For the mobile, handheld and console versions, I had mixed reactions. I enjoyed The Sims, The Sims 2, and The Sims Bustin Out for Nintendo GameCube, GBA/DS/Micro and Wii. The only games I returned were the following:

1) the GameCube version of The Urbz: Sims In The City. I loved the GBA/DS versions of The Urbz.

2) I also literally could not play Sims 4 on my PS4. The controls were too difficult and the text was too small to read. I ended up selling the game and my PS4 a couple years ago.

3) I also did not like Castaway for any handheld or console.

4) I keep trying to like The Sims Mobile for iOS but I keep getting bored. I guess it's not like FreePlay which I absolutely LOVE. I have played FreePlay for 8 years on both Android and iOS (currently).

I am UPSET (to keep it forum appropriate) that Sims 4 is NOT on the Nintendo Switch. I hope future Sims games come to the Switch as I think it would help bring the franchise back to those who cannot afford a gaming laptop.

This is my opinion on the franchise as a whole on various platforms. I hope this helps someone who is trying to decide which of the games they want to try.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,782 Member

See, TS4 is so easy, no one even worries about getting motives in the green.

Yeah.. you always so proudly mention that you have touched the .. thing, what is supposed to be a game, last in 2017. So yes, after all, there has been additions to the base game during those 4 years.

It is not just how easy everything is, as EVERYTHING IS in all games if you want it to be so.
    Even in The Sims. I still remember the expressomachine what made all needs up, I thought it was by simlocigal and @IngeJones , but I assume I was wrong. And in TS2 testingcheats on and you can do the same what you can with UI Cheats now.. and even if not preferred that, always there is Maxmotives-cheat. Again I do not know about TS3, but very hard to believe you cannot keep motives at green there too, IF you WANT to.

I am currently playing rags to richies challenge (among other saves) , with the simple living lot challenge and some others, and I am suffering with motives. That dude is miserable, as he has no money to buy items what he needs to cook, not to mention he has no place to cook!
    No bed to sleep at (and NO, those naps in bench in the park aren't good).
    And if in any way, he manages to get some food. Then his hygiene is red.. or bladder.. oh yes , I forgot to mention, no money to buy those either.

And if a trip to gym helps to that, ah the social.. and fun.. and he refuses to do things cause he is miserable!

And for money, as he started with 0, with the current lot challenges, he cannot even paint ! as that painting costs minimum 50.

Sure, my own rules too.. I do not allow him to sell anything from inventory, all he can sell is to stalls in HoB, or flea market and if he ever paints , those at either flea market or romance festival.

What I am trying to say here, it is AS EASY, AS YOU LET IT TO BE.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited October 2021
    Sims 1: Has a special nostalgic place in my heart. It was the first time anyone had ever seen anything of its kind. And it was easier for people to create content for it than for any other game since due to third party custom creation tools (such as the Transmogrifier), and Sims File Maid made it every easy (on old computers: its visual basic doesn't work on modern computers) to install your custom content where it should go.
    There were no core mods, but there sure were some great object mods, and I collected as many of those as I could. My poor old computer actually took 30 minutes to load everything I loaded so much cc/cas/furnishings on it. But at least the neighborhood music sounded different from the loading screen music. And the music: Sims 1 music was so relaxing and fun. And the loading screens ACTUALLY changed, as did the loading music, every time a new EP was installed (if you had the base game and installed your EPs on top of the base game, but they HAD to be installed in order or bad things would happen). Back then, the CAS and build mode were not good compared to later games, and aging was not existent or very limited, but everything was new. Personality points instead of traits were used.

Players used their own creativity to create stories, and make goals and aspirations for their own characters. The "Room" score calculation in the needs was completely illogical and did not work right - you had to have an open floor plan with everything decorated with the same rugs and wallpaper to get a good "room score". Boring. So I just ignored the room score. Besides, I had to micromanage my Sims to get all their other needs met since they had absolutely no sense: watching TV while starving, and the like. And even if they were next to the bed when their energy ran out, they would get in bed, get out, then pass out on the floor. That last bit with the bed broke the immersion a bit (normal people get in bed, THEN pass out while laying down).
    However, there were lots of other great details: there were actually slot machines (for the first and last time in the series), there was a chemistry set that could bring smell complaints from the neighbors or create Frankensteins, there was a cake that would either have a gorgeous lady, a handsome man, or a gorilla in it...and you never knew which one it would be. Then there was the evil genie that always "accidentally" messed up everyone's wishes. Community lots and pets were introduced, and even a Superstar pack that introduced fame to the series, but you had to travel to the "Hollywood" (I think they called them something else) studio areas. But you could not control any of the pets, and your Sims were frequently woken up by racoons and Clair the bear overturning the trash cans. But at least dogs would chase the racoons away if you had them.

There was way more challenge in Sims 1 than any other game: between having to micromanage your characters, social score was far harder to keep up, but required for promotions. If you had too low a mood and a clown painting in your house, the sad clown would show up at your Sims house to make them even more miserable. If two Sims fought, the Sim that lost would pack their things and leave the game, and did not even show up in the household list to put in another neighborhood. Child sims who got F grades were automatically sent to military school, and they had to go to school 7 days a week. All Sims also worked 7 days a week. None of the cars were controllable: all cars in the game were carpools, trolleys, or limos. (Except for a certain object mod that allowed a bike or motorbike to be driven around the lot, but it could not travel.)
    On vacation, mascots would often make the Sim children miserable, but for adult Sims there was plenty to do on vacation, and souvenirs to take home to display. Later Sims EPs would also introduce recipes, including potion and charm recipes, minigolf, and an amusement park with BUILDABLE roller coaster pieces. Sims (2000) was awesome in so many ways. Some objects have still not made a return at this time: indoor sky diving object, beach volleyball object, and recipe spellbook, along with visitable studio lot neighborhood.

Sims 2: Where do I begin? The first time in the series that aging was introduced (unfortunately, unlike the commercials the chandeliers were not swingable), and for the first time, premade aspirations could be selected, and starting with the University EP pack, love attraction features were available. Unfortunately, this would be the first and the last time that those were available in the series. Finally, you could customize not just the heads and bodies, but also the shoes, the facial features, the hairstyles, the jewelry, the clothing, and the makeup. Cars were also introduced in an EP: and they were done here better than in any of the later Sims games: you could not just drive them off the lot, but you could even repair and fix them up. Sims 2 also introduced hidden lots for the first time ever. Romantic interactions were generally displayed as cut-scenes (30 second or less movie scenes). My favorite cut-scene was the first kiss. There were also reward objects (most tied to aspirations) for the first time in the series. Stuff packs were introduced for the first time.

Sims 2 never had Fame, but it had so many other features and details that it was still a great game. Yes, it had loading screens. But at least, like TS1, there was actually INTERESTING text to read while the game was loading. TS1 introduced "reticulating splines" in its loading text script that scrolled across the screen. Hotels, vacations and dorm rooms were also done better than any subsequent games. There were local dances, local gestures (greetings), room service, a hidden vacation lot, and a Charlatan pickpocket. When pets were introduced, they actually had PET careers, and training for pets. Hobby rewards were also added in an EP. In the final EP, Sims 2 also had not just magic, but good and bad magic. But complete redesigns of Sims 2 objects, since they were 3D, unlike Sims 1, were much more difficult to create, so most custom content was either CAS or recolors. Sims to still had loading screens, but at least it had some semblance of a loading bar, along with the fun loading text. There were actually werewolves and plantsims introduced for the first time, and working restaurants for the first time (I had some Sims starve before I finally figured out you had to actually select "done ordering" before your Sims meals would arrive. The Sims 2 store was the first time EA added microtransactions outside the game. Sims 1 was a tough act to follow, but Sims 2 succeeded spectacularly in that.

Sims 3: For the first time ever, there was a color wheel. Again, there were far more CAS personalization options. There was even a create a pattern tool (which I never learned how to use, I just downloaded custom content). And, there was OPEN WORLD for the first time ever. No more loading screens between lots. You could switch between viewing the Sim and viewing their trip through town. However, as a trade-off to open world, there were now rabbithole lots: you could see the buildings, but if you tried to view your Sim inside them, they would just be standing there. These rabbit-hole lots that were viewable tended to break the immersion. However, later in the game, visiting the cemetery during a full moon would change the rabbithole crypt with chance cards into a permanently usable lot. Other EPs added brand new features like tombs to explore with quests, horses, fairies, plant-eating zombies (so annoying!), salvaging items from junkyards, "nectar"-making, mermaids, hidden islands, and actual DIVING that you could view with your Sim. Witches and fame would make a return. But there was also this fame portal thing to perform in other player's lots that was multiplayer, however, it only involved one other player, and if you did not know them IRL, this did not work too well, especially if they stopped playing for a length of time. The final EP was fun - time travelling and Bot creation (now you could make your own Servo, or several). Sims 3 was full of great features. Some people liked it better than Sims 2, and some did not. The Sims 3 store offered a considerable amount of official content as well....for an additional price. Pets were actually controllable for the first time.

Sims 4: This is still in development, and was far less complete at introduction than any prior game. Since not all EPs have been released, it does not have as many options yet as prior games. But it has some great new features that have not been seen before. When the EP came out, nobody realized how game-changing the club features would be. The marketing...focused on the dancing and DJ booth we had seen in previous games and expected to be in the game by then. Yes, those needed to come, back, but the clubs were the real benefit of that EP. (Especially the ability to add vampire activities to a club: the first rule of Vampire Club is you do not talk about Vampire club. Clubs for those with certain skills were also great.)

However, some of the premade clubs need major improvements. The renegades and paragons are annoying. The cooking and gourmet club members are always getting kicked out of the NPC home where they meet for being "inappropriate" by cooking meals.
    Toddlers took forever to appear in game, but they were done better than in any previous Sims game.
    The reputation and fame systems were done probably better than any prior game, except you cannot book and perform at venues like Sims 3.
    The photography skill was introduced, but a big opportunity was missed: there are no fashion models in the game. In San Myshuno, festivals were introduced for the first time. This was fantastic...until Seasons BROKE the Geek Festival (along with the computers and consoles when it rained during the festival). This is immersion breaking: IRL a festival like this would either move to an indoor venue (maybe underground?) or put canvas tents up to protect the machines and equipment. Apartments were nice, but not done quite as well as Sims 2. And the elevators were immersion breaking: sims disappear BEFORE the elevator doors shut.

Unfortunately, EA has done some things that Simmers feared they would do: they introduced important items from prior games (ie basketball hoop, hot tub, DJ and dance system) in paid EPs and the new game packs. Then they introduced Kits for the impatient people who did not want to wait for full stuff packs including all the kit content, or did not want all of the content. But at least it did not come at the cost of new EPs or GPs. Cottage Living introduced farming for the first time since the Sims 3 store. There are also some new features in Sims 4 that NOBODY expected: clothing that was not gender-restricted, nail customization, and a number of special time-limited events with game rewards. (I'm still sad that I missed the Sims Sessions event this summer. Working a bit too hard in my full-time job.) Cars still have not made a return though, and this is a BIG oversight. There is not even any public transit, no bus stops, no working railroads, nor any subway systems. Sims just disappear, before they even leave the edge of the lot. This is immersion breaking to watch your Sim just disappear without a good reason. (Magic teleportation would be a good reason, for example), but either way, teleportation should come with special effects, like sparkles around the Sims for magic teleports, glows for zen/meditation teleports, Sims walking or riding off the viewable lot (like in Sims 2), or Sims getting into a bus like they did with the Sims 1 carpools.

I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    PS - Yes, my last post was longer than I intended. I journaled my daily experiences and emotions in handwriting for about 20 or 30 years, it was a relaxing bedtime activity, and I kept all of it private. As a Gen X, I am still getting used to Twitter and text messages. I remember landlines, and still find it annoying we do not even have a landline phone decoration in the game. Phone booths too, though those were made obsolete by cell phones. Also, what happened to the newspaper boxes, magazine racks and book/magazine stores? You still can buy newspapers at most coffee shops, though few people subscribe anymore. Retro pack anyone?
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    edited October 2021
    The Sims 1: I originally borrowed The Sims 1 Hot Date or something from the public library, but it wouldn't run because it was an expansion pack, and I needed the base game. So, I decided to borrow the base game, but the base game had a long wait time, and when school was starting up in the autumn, I couldn't play games anymore. Over the autumn quarter of the school year, I did intense research on Wikipedia and perhaps other sites on The Sims and found out about The Sims 2 that way. Immediately, The Sims 2 sounded way more fun -- aging, life stages, aspirations, wants and fears, family trees, genetics. So, I went with The Sims 2 (base game) and never looked back. It costed my Dad $50-60, I think.

The Sims 2 and The Sims 3: I played with this game the longest. Even in 2020, I was still a Sims 2 player, mostly because I got the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on release date, and it ran great on my computer. By early 2021, I decided to give the Sims 3 a go again. I purchased the base game back in 2013, but I frequently got pulled into the Sims 2 more. Only recently, I decided to upgrade my Sims 3 game. With more expansion packs, especially the Generations pack, the Sims 3 was definitely much more playable. I still can't believe that EA has left out a wedding arch and wedding cake in the base game, though. Generations should have been in the base game, seeing how important it is to core gameplay. The Sims 3 Build Tools are much better than The Sims 2, and Build Mode has been greatly enhanced with Create-A-Style! Back in the Sims 2, I had to use SimPE to make object recolours, and it was time-consuming because I had to make the textures seamless; I also had to test out each texture in-game to see if it would look good with in-game lighting. But with The Sims 3, recoloring stuff is a no-brainer; I just flip out my Create-A-Style tool and click-click-click, and I get everything I want. Now, I put The Sims 3 on equal footing with The Sims 2.

The Sims 4: I am not a big fan of Build mode. The Build Mode feels too limiting and constrained, compared to previous versions. I suppose the Build Mode is more accessible to more players, and therefore, building stuff has to be dumbed down by a large margin. It's "easy" and "intuitive" but also very limiting. I prefer The Sims 3 Build mode over The Sims 4's. The Sims 4 does not provide any custom content creation tool officially, and one would be required to look up external tools for custom content creations. Personally, I am satisfied with the base game content, so I just play with Maxis stuff. So... I just spend the most time in Live mode. The actual gameplay is okay. In the gameplay, I just look at the Needs panel, Careers panel, Aspiration panel, Whims, and Events/Holidays panel. Overall, it feels very RPG-like, and so, I play The Sims 4 as an RPG.

For all the things that the Sims 4 has, the Sims 3 does it much better, while the Sims 4 feels like a lazier version or miniature version of the Sims 3. So, I will put Sims 3 and Sims 2 at the top and on equal footing. Second place goes to The Sims 4, mainly because The Sims 4 is one step higher than the Sims 1. At least the Sims 4 has aging and family trees and lifetime goals and better graphics.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Yeah.. you always so proudly mention that you have touched the .. thing, what is supposed to be a game, last in 2017. So yes, after all, there has been additions to the base game during those 4 years.

It is not just how easy everything is, as EVERYTHING IS in all games if you want it to be so.
    Even in The Sims. I still remember the expressomachine what made all needs up, I thought it was by simlocigal and @IngeJones , but I assume I was wrong. And in TS2 testingcheats on and you can do the same what you can with UI Cheats now.. and even if not preferred that, always there is Maxmotives-cheat. Again I do not know about TS3, but very hard to believe you cannot keep motives at green there too, IF you WANT to.

I am currently playing rags to richies challenge (among other saves) , with the simple living lot challenge and some others, and I am suffering with motives. That dude is miserable, as he has no money to buy items what he needs to cook, not to mention he has no place to cook!
    And if in any way, he manages to get some food. Then his hygiene is red.. or bladder.. oh yes , I forgot to mention, no money to buy those either.

And if a trip to gym helps to that, ah the social.. and fun.. and he refuses to do things cause he is miserable!

And for money, as he started with 0, with the current lot challenges, he cannot even paint ! as that painting costs minimum 50.

Sure, my own rules too.. I do not allow him to sell anything from inventory, all he can sell is to stalls in HoB, or flea market and if he ever paints , those at either flea market or romance festival.

I don't have all the updates the rest of players have, so, I don't have a lot challenge trait etc. Here is the thing, when you put a Sim on a vacant lot in TS4 they can just run over to the common little cook out area and grab a hotdog some townie made. Or they can just run across the street to a park bench and sleep. In the game (maybe things changed with a lot of patches) they didn't even need to pee or shower for 24 hours when a player first puts them on a vacant lot. Then if their fun too a small dip they pulled out a phone autonomously to raise fun and build social so they really didn't have to do a thing to stay happy. Maybe your lot trait makes things more challenging. But the rags to riches experience is so dang easy in TS4 it's not even worth trying since the Sims mood is also pretty happy for more than three days. Just turn them loose on a vacant lot, they won't need anything for days. But your lot trait may be better for a better, harder challenge.

None of those things are possible in TS2 because there are no common areas where Sims can just grab a hotdog, nap is all they can do on a park bench and they need food every four hours or die, dead, game over. Their hygiene will go to almost zero within six hours, and the toilet is a necessity because if they pee themselves their hygiene goes down a lot. Combine those two with lack of energy and you will have a dead Sim in a matter of 24 hours. Doesn't matter if they were hungry or not. You can't walk away from the pc if playing rags to riches in TS2 because more than not the Sim is going to be in dire straights when you come back. In TS4 I have left the pc for hour or more and nothing happened worth mentioning. The game is set to feed the Sim even if no food on the lot. Lock one up and see how long they starve, they don't, they pull magic food from their pocket. Now, people can do things to make it harder by curbing the Sim to go back to the vacant lot without grabbing that hotdog etc. but the game is coded for easy peasy.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 888 Member

I don't have all the updates the rest of players have, so, I don't have a lot challenge trait etc. Here is the thing, when you put a Sim on a vacant lot in TS4 they can just run over to the common little cook out area and grab a hotdog some townie made. Or they can just run across the street to a park bench and sleep. In the game (maybe things changed with a lot of patches) they didn't even need to pee or shower for 24 hours when a player first puts them on a vacant lot. Then if their fun too a small dip they pulled out a phone autonomously to raise fun and build social so they really didn't have to do a thing to stay happy. Maybe your lot trait makes things more challenging. But the rags to riches experience is so dang easy in TS4 it's not even worth trying since the Sims mood is also pretty happy for more than three days. Just turn them loose on a vacant lot, they won't need anything for days. But your lot trait may be better for a better, harder challenge.

None of those things are possible in TS2 because there are no common areas where Sims can just grab a hotdog, nap is all they can do on a park bench and they need food every four hours or die, dead, game over. Their hygiene will go to almost zero within six hours, and the toilet is a necessity because if they pee themselves their hygiene goes down a lot. Combine those two with lack of energy and you will have a dead Sim in a matter of 24 hours. Doesn't matter if they were hungry or not. You can't walk away from the pc if playing rags to riches in TS2 because more than not the Sim is going to be in dire straights when you come back. In TS4 I have left the pc for hour or more and nothing happened worth mentioning. The game is set to feed the Sim even if no food on the lot. Lock one up and see how long they starve, they don't, they pull magic food from their pocket. Now, people can do things to make it harder by curbing the Sim to go back to the vacant lot without grabbing that hotdog etc. but the game is coded for easy peasy.

I certainly won't say Sims 2 isn't harder, to me it was way harder and I used testing cheats to keep their needs up a lot, but I have never had a sim in 4 just magically pull food out of their pocket when I was trying to starve them to death. If I didn't give them a way to get food they starved. This is one thing I have never had happen in my game.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    edited October 2021
    I've never seen a sim pull food out of their pocket unless they had something in inventory and I directed them to eat it.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on