Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Adding New Underwear too Mature for Sims 4?

Comments

• ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Adding New Underwear is Not too Mature for the Sims 4 and its Teen Rating
    been wearing underwear since I got out of diapers, not sure maturity should be an issue for undergarmets.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    When was underwear a category option?
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    When was underwear a category option?

In previous entries, such as Sims 2 for example. Never in 4, though.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    netney52 wrote: »
    The game has had underwear before in sims 1&3. As I never played sims 2 I can’t comment but I suspect it did as well. Actually sims 3 had some nice underwear that came with its city pack (can’t remember the name). I’m finding it’s getting boring seeing comments of sims being a teenage game with limits incase someone maybe offended. If that is the case then they should do away with the various woohoo spots and death types. It seems inconsistent with what content they will put in the game when it comes to it being teen related.

I understand what you are getting at I agree with the spirit of your response, but in the US the game has a teen rating (so teens and up) and traditionally violence has been been more... Acceptable than flirting with sexual themes there. And with the ESRB. I'd so much as argue the more standard ratings of E-M are based on levels of violence (E's comic mischief to E10's fantasy violence to T's violence to M's intense violence, all from the ERSB website). So violence is very explicitly accepted at a teen rating.

I realize not everyone has the same values or even same/similar ratings, but the ESRB definitely does have weight in the conversation if we are talking potential rating changes. The higher it is, the less accessible. (Now I realize parents do make the ultimate choice regardless, but I have to show ID to buy an M rated game in person. I'm in my twenties and was still carded.) If anything, I would assume all the global ratings boards quirks could have arguably sanded off 4's edges. There are certainly locales that take violence more seriously.

Sorry I have no idea what esrb is as I don’t live in the USA. What I mean is the game has woohoo spots which for me seems more adult theme then underwear. Plus it has never been an issue in previous sims games. I don’t and will never understand how the USA is fine with violence but not fine with other topics such as underwear in a game.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    I've noticed a lot of the word "Underwear" in this thread instead of "Sleepwear". Sleepwear is also as broad as underwear, i mean i can sleep in my everyday clothes if i don't feel like taking them off, and other days i could sleep in my birthday suit just as a change from the usual. so are those considered sleepwear by that definition as well?

The thing is that the current selection of sleepwear in this game is woefully inadequate in general and i've had to eliminate the sleepwear tag in CAS once or twice just to get a few more options that should be in there anyway. The developers of this game have always been a bit by the book where the rating is concerned. The thing is that teenagers these days know more of the birds and the bees, filthy/rude language and violence of the various types than these people who write these guidelines are ever prepared to accept. One day these ratings will change and we can do away with the pretense,

Anyway, there are plenty of options as pointed out by other users that can mean there are options that can be added for male and female sims alike and they don't need to be transparent or too suggestive. So there is no actual excuse not to add some.
  • fluttereyesfluttereyes Posts: 2,337 Member
    Underwear has been in the game since at least Sims 2, where it was used for sleepwear. If it offends you don't put it on your Sims. I don't dress my Sims in underwear but I have no concerns about others doing it, they play their game and I play mine.
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    I would like more underwear options. This is the sort of thing I thought kits would be for.

I’d love for Sims be able to have dressing gowns that they can take off and leave on the bed or a chair and put on when they go downstairs.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I don’t think it’s “too mature” I just think they can’t be bothered. That one female set of lacy panties is very see through, and outside of like thongs or something it’d be hard to be more mature.

I basically never have sims wear just their underwear, even as sleepwear, so I don’t really care too much.
  • Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    Not really, Heck the women actually have the sheer pairs kind of see the lady parts though, is rated Teens yet the Sims 3 master suite quite a few undies are charming yet risky ha-ha.!
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    As pointed out above we have at least one dress that is... amazingly naughty already: The sheer flowery full length one. It is especially noticeable if you pick the all-black or all-white versions of it but the flowers literally only covers the strategic bits, and you can see that the sim is wearing NO underwear from the sides. It's that see thru.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    The base game has a lingerie set with garters/lace. That's already a little more "naughty" than a basic underwear set, so adding more of varying styles doesn't really feel inappropriate to me at all.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    The base game has a lingerie set with garters/lace. That's already a little more "naughty" than a basic underwear set, so adding more of varying styles doesn't really feel inappropriate to me at all.

Since when does lace and garters equal naughty? Lace is pretty, cotton is comfortable. As long as it doesn't veer on the erotic lingerie side sold by woohoo shops I think all lingerie is fine and appropriate. I could use more underwear styles apart from the two lacy and two cotton styles present in game. Even males have just two options and those are with very limited number of swatches. More swatches for the ladies are needed too. They should also add lady lingerie in the heart pattern they used for the male boxers.
  • SimtaniumSimtanium Posts: 256 Member
    edited October 2021
    In TS3 we had a SP and Store sets centred on giving us new lingerie. :tongue:

Personally, new underwear is not high on my list of wants though.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of the word "Underwear" in this thread instead of "Sleepwear". Sleepwear is also as broad as underwear, i mean i can sleep in my everyday clothes if i don't feel like taking them off, and other days i could sleep in my birthday suit just as a change from the usual. so are those considered sleepwear by that definition as well?

The thing is that the current selection of sleepwear in this game is woefully inadequate in general and i've had to eliminate the sleepwear tag in CAS once or twice just to get a few more options that should be in there anyway. The developers of this game have always been a bit by the book where the rating is concerned. The thing is that teenagers these days know more of the birds and the bees, filthy/rude language and violence of the various types than these people who write these guidelines are ever prepared to accept. One day these ratings will change and we can do away with the pretense,

Anyway, there are plenty of options as pointed out by other users that can mean there are options that can be added for male and female sims alike and they don't need to be transparent or too suggestive. So there is no actual excuse not to add some.

As my son used to say, “Mom…you don’t have to be careful about what you say around me, I go to public school”. 🤣😂
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    As long as the Townies don't walk around in their underwear I don't mind. I've seen Vlad jogging in a red jumpsuit and that shocked me more!
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Last I remember new underwear in the game it was a free patch around valentine's day I think? Wouldn't mind seeing more in a kit, especially more options for men.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    I just don't understand why we need more underwear seeing as that isn't a clothing category for sims 4 unless you mean the underwear in the sleep category. Yeah I don't really care if we get more underwear, lol.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Since when does lace and garters equal naughty?

...Since Cancan was invented, at least. Seriously, lace and garters are the very definition of "sexy underwear".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Since when does lace and garters equal naughty?

...Since Cancan was invented, at least. Seriously, lace and garters are the very definition of "sexy underwear".

Lacy lingerie doesn't necessarily mean naughty and garters were very much needed to keep your stockings up before modern stockings were invented. Hence pretty much no one wears them anymore and are considered kinky. At one time, even bloomers were considered obscene to be on display.

• CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

I suppose a pair of athletic supporters for my athletic male sims would also be considered 'naughty', even though they're very necessary.

"What are you wearing under those shorts my good man?"
    "Me jockstraps"
    "Naughty naughty."

But then again why would a sim even walk around in their jockey straps? Not that male sims need any of those. In Vanilla Land they seem to have zero business to protect anyway.

How about some more natural underwear? I'd love that. We do have the Sulani Coconut Bra. Why not a pair of fig leaf undies for my castaway sims because their original underwear got eaten by a seaturtle?

This is the sims for crying out loud. Let's have some fun underwear!
    Forget about the ratings. Barrels and Bloomers and Bumflaps is what we need, indeed!
  • phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    A long, long time ago, in Sims 2, one of the outfit categories was "Underwear." Even with them moving from PG-13 to PG, I don't think it's too "mature." Underwear used to be funny...
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • YumegiriYumegiri Posts: 1 New Member
    Underwear is just everyday swimwear
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,957 Member
    They already have it in the game so can’t see it as too mature. It would be nice to see some more cute lingerie. I use several categories to draw sleepwear from, underwear, some swim pieces, t shirts and baggie shirts. Athletic wear etc. but we could use some cute lingerie pieces, would love some silky ones.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    If underwear is too inappropriate for a teen game then lord help us
  • BlackkatnessBlackkatness Posts: 63 Member
    I get bored of the same things too. Of course I'm going to say yes to more variety. The word I'm going with is "flattering". It doesn't have to be too mature. But, I would like to see more flattering things for my Sims to wear. Cute, posh and elegant. Somethings in CAS make Sims look like a sack of potatoes. That narrows things down and I have to try to avoid having my Sims wear the same things.