Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is Adding New Underwear too Mature for Sims 4?

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited October 2021
    Adding New Underwear is Not too Mature for the Sims 4 and its Teen Rating
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I don't even understand why would adding new underwear be too mature for Sims 4. I would've chosen the first option, but the "teen rating" confused me also. I'm from Finland and underwear in here is a normal thing. I don't understand the ratings in this case. I'd just answer that I would like more underwear in general for my Sims and they don't need to be teen rated, children wear underwear too.
    I'm always up for new clothes for my Sims and I would like more swimwear too, both for all ages.
    Sexy lingerie doesn't have to be rated either. We already have lacy bra and panties in the base game, so... why would they have a problem of adding more.

It is more so meant in a way that adding underwear is or is not explicit enough for teens to be allowed to interact with it (since not everyone knows or understands the ESRB). If you think teens can handle it, it is fine for the rating. If you think they cannot, then it isn't. I'd assume you think underwear is a perfectly acceptable to see on pixel people.

If you were more concerned with ESRB specifically, I think adding underwear would be fine personally. However, I do think there is room for debate because I consider the ESRB rather touchy over the concept of nudity. Conan Exiles is rather famous for having an optional nudity setting. No sex or anything (nothing detailed beyond the chest on a woman either), just your parts flopping in the wind as you move. In the US, this had to automatically be censored or the game would have gotten an AO rating, which is putting it in the ranks of sex games. PEGI has an 18 rating which separates it from actual sex games because the nudity is not sexual in nature, so it was not censored for a lower rating. I personally think the ESRB should make similar distinctions between nudity and sexually explicit nudity, but I am drifting off topic.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    just your parts flopping in the wind as you move.

😂🤣

Can’t see this happen in the Sims anytime soon but who knows what a Seasons refresh will bring us? Probably a lot of mosaic blowing in the wind.
  • Options
    just your parts flopping in the wind as you move.

😂🤣

Can’t see this happen in the Sims anytime soon but who knows what a Seasons refresh will bring us? Probably a lot of mosaic blowing in the wind.

Me either, and it would definitely bump up the rating if they did. Then again, I'm not sure if specifically removing the mosaic would and should do that. It is not like the devs go through the extra trouble to model and animate those parts below the mosaic. I think some people might genuinely think that about a number of games, a la GTA Hot Coffee Controversy.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    XvFP52p.png

Just a reminder that this is literal lingerie in the basegame. I think we handle more underwear.
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited October 2021
    XvFP52p.png

Just a reminder that this is literal lingerie in the basegame. I think we can handle more underwear.
    Have you seen that one dress with the cut-outs from Luxury Party, the flower dress from City Living, or the top from Vampires? They are all see-through to the point that I understand now why Sims don't have modeled/detailed parts beneath the underwear.

I think the excuse of "maturity" went out the window on launch.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    XvFP52p.png

Just a reminder that this is literal lingerie in the basegame. I think we handle more underwear.

Where is that in basegame, I haven't seen it before. It looks like cc to me.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    XvFP52p.png

In my game, that is Nancy Landgraab's default outfit....that's what she wears around town
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,924 Member
    edited October 2021
    @crocobaura , that is not cc. Basegame, underwear, full body :)
    gPCe6qb.jpg

ETA: and as Nate_Whiplash1 said, Nancy's default underwear.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    @crocobaura , that is not cc. Basegame, underwear, full body :)
    gPCe6qb.jpg

ETA: and as Nate_Whiplash1 said, Nancy's default underwear.

I'll have to look again, don't think I have ever searched for full body underwear. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Here's Nancy at the club, wearing the same outfit. In my game, that's all she wears out in public. Well, that and the sad panda hat, which always makes her sad lol

SrG04Fx.png
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The game has had underwear before in sims 1&3. As I never played sims 2 I can’t comment but I suspect it did as well. Actually sims 3 had some nice underwear that came with its city pack (can’t remember the name). I’m finding it’s getting boring seeing comments of sims being a teenage game with limits incase someone maybe offended. If that is the case then they should do away with the various woohoo spots and death types. It seems inconsistent with what content they will put in the game when it comes to it being teen related.
  • Options
    netney52 wrote: »
    The game has had underwear before in sims 1&3. As I never played sims 2 I can’t comment but I suspect it did as well. Actually sims 3 had some nice underwear that came with its city pack (can’t remember the name). I’m finding it’s getting boring seeing comments of sims being a teenage game with limits incase someone maybe offended. If that is the case then they should do away with the various woohoo spots and death types. It seems inconsistent with what content they will put in the game when it comes to it being teen related.

I understand what you are getting at I agree with the spirit of your response, but in the US the game has a teen rating (so teens and up) and traditionally violence has been been more... Acceptable than flirting with sexual themes there. And with the ESRB. I'd so much as argue the more standard ratings of E-M are based on levels of violence (E's comic mischief to E10's fantasy violence to T's violence to M's intense violence, all from the ERSB website). So violence is very explicitly accepted at a teen rating.

I realize not everyone has the same values or even same/similar ratings, but the ESRB definitely does have weight in the conversation if we are talking potential rating changes. The higher it is, the less accessible. (Now I realize parents do make the ultimate choice regardless, but I have to show ID to buy an M rated game in person. I'm in my twenties and was still carded.) If anything, I would assume all the global ratings boards quirks could have arguably sanded off 4's edges. There are certainly locales that take violence more seriously.
  • Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    ESRB ratings are over rated. I'm sure the M rating stopped a lot of teen aged gamers from playing Skyrim and GTA.

More to the point, no, it's just underwear.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    How can having MORE underwear be too mature, you'd think it'd be the other way around. :p
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Well I don’t see the point of adding more underwear because you can’t use it anyway or maybe just as sleepwear.
  • Options
    AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    You know... there is no elegant negligee for lady sims as sleeping wear... :bawling: Like... we have no rights to dress sims for players' visual ASMR.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    There are also matching stockings for that along with several slippers that match in most colors. I think lingerie/underwear could be updated. I'd also see more robes.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I doubt underwear is more mature than naked sims taking showers in the rain.
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member

Ikr, you can convince people to run naked through crowed streets.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

I understand what you are getting at I agree with the spirit of your response, but in the US the game has a teen rating (so teens and up) and traditionally violence has been been more... Acceptable than flirting with sexual themes there. And with the ESRB. I'd so much as argue the more standard ratings of E-M are based on levels of violence (E's comic mischief to E10's fantasy violence to T's violence to M's intense violence, all from the ERSB website). So violence is very explicitly accepted at a teen rating.

I realize not everyone has the same values or even same/similar ratings, but the ESRB definitely does have weight in the conversation if we are talking potential rating changes. The higher it is, the less accessible. (Now I realize parents do make the ultimate choice regardless, but I have to show ID to buy an M rated game in person. I'm in my twenties and was still carded.) If anything, I would assume all the global ratings boards quirks could have arguably sanded off 4's edges. There are certainly locales that take violence more seriously.

I kinda feel like you are talking about something completely different here based on your previous posts. Sounds like you are talking about mature content, nudity and private parts 😆😆
    What I THOUGHT this thread was about is lingerie and general underwear/swimsuits?
    I don't see how underwear would be too much? Especially with lingerie already in the game. Everyone from toddlers, kids to elders have underwear? Both in real life and in game.
    If you are a super conservative individual then sure it could be. Like my mom would have a heart attack just to see sim underwear 🤣🤣 she is super traditional and conservative. But that's personal. Doesn't have anything to do with rather general underwear is too mature for a game.
    The stuff you are talking about would not even be considered for sims game anyway.

I do think we could use more. I'm not desperate for it but I'll never say no to more undies 😁
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I don't think it's inherently "too mature." Of course, "underwear" covers a pretty broad spectrum of possible choices, and even if we don't all agree on where to draw the line, I'm sure we would all agree that there is a line for a game like the Sims. I'll leave it at that, but I'm sure we can all think of a few items that might be a bit much for TS4, outside of CC.

That being said, I would definitely appreciate having more cute options in the sleepwear category. I will disagree with OP's assertion that there's no lingerie in the game; as an adult person who actually wears lingerie, there are items in the game that are certainly quite similar to things I see irl when shopping in a lingerie store. (My personal opinion is that some of the items in the the game are not particularly attractive, or things that I would buy for myself, but that's a matter of personal taste. I do actually like the lace underwear set, so that's what most of my female-identified sims wear.) But certainly the sleepwear category is far more limited than any of the other categories, except maybe swimwear. So I am all for more options.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I wish we had some old fashioned long underwear complete with bum flaps for all ages. They would be great for historical players and just plain fun for everyone else.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member

Ikr, you can convince people to run naked through crowed streets.

I don't know about that. Some outgoing sims started running naked in public at least with Seasons. They do it autonomous.
  • Options

I kinda feel like you are talking about something completely different here based on your previous posts. Sounds like you are talking about mature content, nudity and private parts 😆😆
    What I THOUGHT this thread was about is lingerie and general underwear/swimsuits?
    I don't see how underwear would be too much? Especially with lingerie already in the game. Everyone from toddlers, kids to elders have underwear? Both in real life and in game.
    If you are a super conservative individual then sure it could be. Like my mom would have a heart attack just to see sim underwear 🤣🤣 she is super traditional and conservative. But that's personal. Doesn't have anything to do with rather general underwear is too mature for a game.
    The stuff you are talking about would not even be considered for sims game anyway.

I do think we could use more. I'm not desperate for it but I'll never say no to more undies 😁

It is indeed about underwear in the Sims, but in regards to ratings, if underwear is considered too mature it is generally considered so around the lines of nudity and sexual content. Some people think nudity or underwear is inherently sexual. I do not. However, the ERSB might considering they do not make distinctions between types of nudity. I have to speculate since they do not specifically mention underwear.

All in all, I do not think it should be a problem myself, but I can see where the argument can be made in the other direction. I suppose I have sort of ended up filling that role since none of the alternate votes really wanted to write out their opinions.
  • Options
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I don't think it's inherently "too mature." Of course, "underwear" covers a pretty broad spectrum of possible choices, and even if we don't all agree on where to draw the line, I'm sure we would all agree that there is a line for a game like the Sims. I'll leave it at that, but I'm sure we can all think of a few items that might be a bit much for TS4, outside of CC.

That being said, I would definitely appreciate having more cute options in the sleepwear category. I will disagree with OP's assertion that there's no lingerie in the game; as an adult person who actually wears lingerie, there are items in the game that are certainly quite similar to things I see irl when shopping in a lingerie store. (My personal opinion is that some of the items in the the game are not particularly attractive, or things that I would buy for myself, but that's a matter of personal taste. I do actually like the lace underwear set, so that's what most of my female-identified sims wear.) But certainly the sleepwear category is far more limited than any of the other categories, except maybe swimwear. So I am all for more options.

I agree that the one style already posted in the thread is, but that was base game. I said I do not remember any meaningful additions since adding anything I would really consider lingerie. I don't remember DLC or updates adding much in the underwear category at all, but if I am wrong (which is definitely possible) I would appreciate you telling me which pieces I missed.