Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mods won't work

Now like, I know this is probably common sounding, but I couldn't find any even like long dead threads that helped tbh. I've been modding on Sims 4 for a while, I was even making my own mod for Sims 3 at one point I think, I can't remember tbh, but the thing is, I had a system update to Windows 10 or whatever? And since then I can't get my mods to work. Not like, oh they aren't appearing in the game properly, I mean they aren't even listed in the list in the settings. I've tried everything I can think of from repairing it a million times over, deleting and redownloading both it and Origin, trying to format the folders and everything, and the only thing I can think of to be a possible issue is that there's no file thing that's supposed to auto be in there? Heck, I even have to like make the mod folder myself, it doesn't appear naturally when I repair it or whatever, even when I deleted it, it was left behind, even though I know it originally came with it.

I know there's supposed to be some file in the mod folder that naturally comes with but I can't find it (I can't remember the name of the file off the top of my head rn) and none of the links to it online work at all. Would love some help in fixing this, it's really got me stumped.

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    There are some folders/files that are supposed to regenerate, but it is pretty odd that a fresh install would not fix it.

What exactly do you mean by it isn't listed in the settings, to be perfectly clear?

Absent more specifics, I'd ask for other players to donate some saves, mods, and folders to test. At least then you can look to see what the functioning folders have that yours do not and if they work for you.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    Are you talking about the Resource.cfg file that should be inside your Mods folder? If it is missing simply closing and re-opening the game should regenerate it.

Make sure your Mods folder is in the right location: Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods

If you use OneDrive, try disabling it. There can be issues where a duplicate Mods folder exists on OneDrive and downloads are misplaced or the wrong drive is accessed by the game.

You could try resetting your game by moving your custom music, mods, recorded videos, saves, screenshots, and tray files to your desktop and then delete the game from your computer. Open the game from Origin and all new files should be generated. Then you can move everything back.
  • KingOfEyeballsKingOfEyeballs Posts: 50 Member
    Bananas_45 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Resource.cfg file that should be inside your Mods folder? If it is missing simply closing and re-opening the game should regenerate it.

Make sure your Mods folder is in the right location: Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4 > Mods

If you use OneDrive, try disabling it. There can be issues where a duplicate Mods folder exists on OneDrive and downloads are misplaced or the wrong drive is accessed by the game.

You could try resetting your game by moving your custom music, mods, recorded videos, saves, screenshots, and tray files to your desktop and then delete the game from your computer. Open the game from Origin and all new files should be generated. Then you can move everything back.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game itself a few times, restarted it multiple times, and even recreated the proper files, that is, Electronic Arts and such, but the resource cfg isn't resetting. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled Origin itself, and nothing works.
  • KingOfEyeballsKingOfEyeballs Posts: 50 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    There are some folders/files that are supposed to regenerate, but it is pretty odd that a fresh install would not fix it.

What exactly do you mean by it isn't listed in the settings, to be perfectly clear?

Absent more specifics, I'd ask for other players to donate some saves, mods, and folders to test. At least then you can look to see what the functioning folders have that yours do not and if they work for you.

When I go into Options after starting the game, and look under Game Options, and then under Other, and click View Custom Content, nothing shows, even if I do individual mods to try and make sure none of the mods themselves are the issue. :( I can't figure out what's going wrong, other than not having the resource cfg, but I can't get it to auto-reset back into the folder, no matter what I do.
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,775 Member
    At this point, I would suggest posting on the EA Help site. https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en