March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think the Sims 4 & its DLC is too US/euro focused?

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    No
    US, yes, without question. Europe, definitely not. I don't understand why people act like the entirety of Europe is heavily represented because we have a couple worlds inspired by Britain and Germany. Like it's a very diverse continent and specifically there's absolutely nothing of Southern Europe, so we're definitely not overly represented or too heavily focused on
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No
    Onverser wrote: »
    US, yes, without question. Europe, definitely not. I don't understand why people act like the entirety of Europe is heavily represented because we have a couple worlds inspired by Britain and Germany. Like it's a very diverse continent and specifically there's absolutely nothing of Southern Europe, so we're definitely not overly represented or too heavily focused on

Exactly. But it is often the case that people confuse culture and skin color, to put it bluntly. NOT looking to get into a racist argument here, but again, many people assume all African countries are the same because well... black people with a funny accent when in reality they are just as culturally different as any Asian or European country. Again, nobody in their right mind would argue that Thailand and Mongolia are culturally identical yet many have no problem believing that all pinkish people are clones and so are all the brown people no matter of actual culture and heritage.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Way too US-centric, no where near enough Euro continent.

But then, we also run into the problem that the world has many cultures, and the game is unable to represent them all. Europe is made up of multiple cultures. Africa, Asia, and South America also have multiple cultures.
    Australia & NZ generally get ignored. Apparently, we do not exist.

It's way past time we had a Tasmania themed pack...

Agreed. Even with the worlds that are supposed to be European or UK inspired it feels to me like a bunch of American sims went on holiday and randomly decided to live there and build a city/town for themselves.

That's it!
    They're like all those "Irish" pubs that popped up everywhere a few decades back.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    No
    That's it!
    They're like all those "Irish" pubs that popped up everywhere a few decades back.

Hey now wait a sec. What’s wrong with a good aul Irish pub? Every little hole in the wall in the world should have one. 😜
    No

But then, we also run into the problem that the world has many cultures, and the game is unable to represent them all. Europe is made up of multiple cultures. Africa, Asia, and South America also have multiple cultures.

Agreed. Even with the worlds that are supposed to be European or UK inspired it feels to me like a bunch of American sims went on holiday and randomly decided to live there and build a city/town for themselves.

That's it!

Most Americans I know do celebrate St Patrick in a WASTLY different way than actual Irish people... ;)
    No

That's it!

Most Americans I know do celebrate St Patrick in a WASTLY different way than actual Irish people... ;)

In all fairness though, the way St. Patrick’s day is celebrated nowadays is extremely Americanized -even in Ireland.
    Apparently there’s this tradition with eating cabbage and corned beef on St.Patrick’s day, which again, is as far as I know something only (Irish) Americans do. In Ireland folks don’t eat cabbage and corned beef. 😂 They go to the pub, then the chipper, then the pub. And then the pub. And then they eat a bag of Taytos.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2021
    No
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I sort of don't understand your references. I think all countries are just about westernized aren't they? I mean where can you go in a culture that doesn't drive cars, have planes, have pcs, cell phones, TVs and I am asking for real? It seems people think that other peoples are still living in the stone ages, where they still practice old traditions from thousands of years ago, and or dress in traditional attire on a daily basis, but that isn't true but only in a very few places in the middle east. Unless people live on an island far away from the westernized world all countries have what came from America, like cars, planes, TVs, cellphones, Electricity, etc. So, I really don't understand the statements about mannerisms and culture.

What is so western about about cars, tv and technology? 🤣 i mean paper exists in the sims but i dont consider it to be chinese influenced game.

As far as culture, I mean some things that dont really exist in the Sims. Like for example the school system is from a western perspective. Ive seen some comments before like the way classes work in DU is different from their home country.

Some culture mannerism was brought in from Snowy Escape. Like leaving shoes at the door, bowing ,and like the uniforms as well. Things like that is what I meant by mannerisms. Some people kiss cheeks as a greeting and others wave hi or handshake. Like if you had drinking fizzy juice with a korean family in game, a sim may pour a drink respectfully the way it works in their culture. Things that would be considered cultural ettiquite where they live.

Korean-Drinking-Culture9.jpg

Your comment also comes off a little rude. When a country isnt "westernized" it doesnt mean its in the stone age. And traditional wear in some places arent as formal as you may think, its normal to be seen wearing some kinds of dresses or styles because it is their culture. Like how its normal to see people in America wearing a dress or suit and tie.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was talking about the westernized, modern world. We all live in a modern world where we all use what I listed. Which was created in America and I only mentioned those modern conveniences because you asked did we think the game was too American and or too European. There isn't any where (almost) that you can go where any of that isn't present in modern life. It's just a fact and shouldn't be taken rudely or anything else.

Well i wasnt mentioning tech, i said in my orignal comment what i meant by US or Euro inspired:

As far as worlds, food, clothing, activies, and mannerisms

I'm sorry if I came off as rude and offended you. What I see with the games now is too much California influence but people who don't live in America won't understand that. Like there is a lot of LA influcence in this game, I'm tired of all the LA type worlds they created for TS3. Not everyone in America celebrates the things they do. It's a vast, huge, diverse country. As far as food goes , some may think it's too American but to be blunt TS4 doesn't even have a lot of the food outside of urban food or LA influenced foods. I don't see how they can represent all the cultures of every little place inside a place all over the world, because they haven't even represented at all many customs and or foods, and or towns in America other than the West coast/East Coast attitudes and practices. I get what you are saying but they have yet to build the game outside of the box of LA. (Los Angeles) Look at their 'western' town in TS4, it's heavily Los Angeles influenced and doesn't even reflect Arizona, Kansas, Texas, or even Colorado or Wyoming or anywhere other than their own backyard.

Forget about Southern foods, there is hardly any in TS4. People in the South don't even bother with St. Patrick's day like those who live in north eastern states. What I mention doesn't even fill a thimble. So, yeah, I think others may think this game represents Americans but it doesn't, it represents those who live around Los Angeles. And the mid west is not even in TS4. So, it's kind of odd anyone who doesn't live in America would think it is how America is, no, it's far from it. It's basically LA's idea of America and the 'world'.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    That's it!

Hey now wait a sec. What’s wrong with a good aul Irish pub? Every little hole in the wall in the world should have one. 😜

Cos they're like that abomination, the Outback Steakhouse. The menu of that place is garbage.
    The closest thing they have to Australian on the menu, is the New Zealand lamb.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    No
    I sort of don't understand your references. I think all countries are just about westernized aren't they? I mean where can you go in a culture that doesn't drive cars, have planes, have pcs, cell phones, TVs and I am asking for real? It seems people think that other peoples are still living in the stone ages, where they still practice old traditions from thousands of years ago, and or dress in traditional attire on a daily basis, but that isn't true but only in a very few places in the middle east. Unless people live on an island far away from the westernized world all countries have what came from America, like cars, planes, TVs, cellphones, Electricity, etc. So, I really don't understand the statements about mannerisms and culture.

What is so western about about cars, tv and technology? 🤣 i mean paper exists in the sims but i dont consider it to be chinese influenced game.

As far as culture, I mean some things that dont really exist in the Sims. Like for example the school system is from a western perspective. Ive seen some comments before like the way classes work in DU is different from their home country.

Some culture mannerism was brought in from Snowy Escape. Like leaving shoes at the door, bowing ,and like the uniforms as well. Things like that is what I meant by mannerisms. Some people kiss cheeks as a greeting and others wave hi or handshake. Like if you had drinking fizzy juice with a korean family in game, a sim may pour a drink respectfully the way it works in their culture. Things that would be considered cultural ettiquite where they live.

Korean-Drinking-Culture9.jpg

Your comment also comes off a little rude. When a country isnt "westernized" it doesnt mean its in the stone age. And traditional wear in some places arent as formal as you may think, its normal to be seen wearing some kinds of dresses or styles because it is their culture. Like how its normal to see people in America wearing a dress or suit and tie.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was talking about the westernized, modern world. We all live in a modern world where we all use what I listed. Which was created in America and I only mentioned those modern conveniences because you asked did we think the game was too American and or too European. There isn't any where (almost) that you can go where any of that isn't present in modern life. It's just a fact and shouldn't be taken rudely or anything else.

Well i wasnt mentioning tech, i said in my orignal comment what i meant by US or Euro inspired:

As far as worlds, food, clothing, activies, and mannerisms

Forget about Southern foods, there is hardly any in TS4. People in the South don't even bother with St. Patrick's day like those who live in north eastern states. What I mention doesn't even fill a thimble. So, yeah, I think others may think this game represents Americans but it doesn't, it represents those who live around Los Angeles. And the mid west is not even in TS4. So, it's kind of odd anyone who doesn't live in America would think it is how America is, no, it's far from it. It's basically LA's idea of America and the 'world'.

Yes that is true! Ive downloaded lots of cc food, including some southern folds. I have to have my sims have some mashed potato, jambalaya, shrimp and grits etc 😋
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited October 2021
    No
    I mean, it definitely is US/euro focused, but then that's primarily where the game is made and who it's made by. Like it's nice to include more of the world, which they do a bit sometimes, but I think of that as a bonus and have no expectations for that. Considering how shallow cultural things tend to be in the sims, it probably makes more sense to support games focused on exploring life in other countries actually made by the people from those countries, rather than pushing for what will probably be lackluster representations in a Western based and owned company cash cow.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Yes
    USA yes all the sims games have been heavily USA focused. I agree with other simmers on the European front it’s only 3 worlds one is German inspired the other 2 uk or more specifically England inspired. For Europe that is not much considering how much culture there is across the continent in all the different countries. I say this as someone who is from England, uk and we have 2 worlds inspired by our culture.
  • coolskeleton95coolskeleton95 Posts: 11 New Member
    Yes
    err... yes and no? Obviously, there's a reason for why it's Euro/US-centric; The devs are (for the most part) from the United States. I'd say the bigger problem is that a lot of the worlds feel same-y. Green lawns, picket fences, the like. Even the worlds inspired by the US all (except Riverview and Appaloosa Plains from TS3) feel suburban/urban. Give me my backwater country towns. More desert towns. Mountain towns, etc.
    edited October 2021
    No
    Food, when will the game add soup beans and cornbread, with a side of fried potatoes? That is as common as grilled cheese, so, no I don't think the game is too American centric when they won't even add a common, everyday meal. As if the only beans consumed are beans and franks while camping.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    No
    LiELF wrote: »
    *ahem*

If, somehow you were under the impression that I posted here before…the answer is NO. That’s just your wild imagination.
    Anyway…😇

Below I’ll post what I posted before, I mean what I posted before in my head, of course…because I didn’t post anything here before. 👀

Anyways, I didn’t realize there was anything else beyond US/ Europe. I thought the world sort of revolves around us. 😋

The game is a bit too much Planet -Down To - Earth focused in my opinion. I believe we’re in dire need of some extraterrestrial gameplay and plenty more enchanted portals. Time for our Sims to be whisked away to the Whimsical Lands of Weirder and more Magical and More Weird. Sure not everybody agrees. As long as I agree, which I do.

I’m well aware that the game is designed in US by US, however, I do think the team should be a little more creative with the base game mailboxes. And that’s all I have to say about that….

Other than that they’re doing a fine job with adding items and worlds inspired by other cultures around the globe.

The emphasis should be on “Inspired” though. It’s all The Sims ever needed. What the Sims doesn’t need is “Literally Represent”. I find that the latter is such a bad idea and too often results in a game / community breaker.

Yes, precisely! Like, why don't we have a bog city or violet beaches or furry trees for harvesting or hovering bridges that can blow away in the wind or a mechanical cog realm (since we have all of those gigantic contraptions like the telescope, micro(haha)scope and cupcake monstrosity) with aeronautics? I would love to see physics that don't exist in our world and unusual colors and fantastical towns. The Magic Realm is so full of fabulous, I want more of that and other oddities please. Throw in some inspirational flavor from real cultures from our planet and you could have something very unique and special. <3

This sounds so exciting!!🤭🤭🤭😏
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    No
    US yes, Europe no. We have just three maps inspired by Europe. Two of them are British and one is German: Windenburg, HoB and Britechester. What is more, that three worlds have still american vibes. I see no representation of small apartments, detached houses etc. Roads, lots and the space between the lots in Windenburg Old Town for example are too big. There is not too much cultural aspects also. Ok, we have some food in cottage living, but it is all we have. Europe is small but various continent with a lot of countries an a different cultures. Sometimes in one country you can find a tones of different cultures. For example in the Kingdom of Spain, you can find a lot of variety. People in Caralonia, Basquonia, Baleares, Castilia and the principality of Asturia ect, have a different cultures. There is still a lot of to show and three expansions we have can’t fill that gap. I feel that the Mt. Komorebi which is inspired by Japan is also americanized. I appreciate that EA wants to implement some diversity to The Sims, but this game is an american point of view of the world. The society of Europe/Asia/Africa looks different lives different and has a different history than US and The Sims doesn’t represent this.
    edited October 2021
    No
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    US yes, Europe no. We have just three maps inspired by Europe. Two of them are British and one is German: Windenburg, HoB and Britechester. What is more, that three worlds have still american vibes. I see no representation of small apartments, detached houses etc. Roads, lots and the space between the lots in Windenburg Old Town for example are too big. There is not too much cultural aspects also.

Definitely agree with this. An Old Town (tm) is definitely not Esplanades. As much as I love Windenburg the weird mix between a Germanic Old Town (tm) and parade spaces are weird...

This is what I think of when someone says "Old Town" to me (Stockholm):
    Old-Town-Gamla-Stan-Stockholm-Sweden-%C2%A9-Jonybigude-Dreamstime-30009713-e1425578208295.jpg

Also I would like to see even more modern architecture. Not talking Mid Century Modern but just contemporary European architecture for the masses. Which means also not the deliberately "Modern" houses on the Island in Windenburg.
    You know, something like this (I know we can't make semi-detached houses, but here's two examples)

2010s:
    Smaa-Stockholm-Enskededalen-Karrtorp-Exterior-Entre.jpg

1980s:
    radhus.jpg

• GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Yes
    Am I the only one who gets Rothenburg ob der Tauber vibes from Windenburg?
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    No
    No, I would like to see a mix of new themes, global themes and US / Europe themes. If they totally drop the latter, I wouldn't be happy but I like seeing different content.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • MsMayMsMay Posts: 440 Member
    No
    The game is made from US/euro focused. So it’s not surprised the game is made in the US. I don’t mind EA adding some more DLC US/Euro influenced cultures in the game. But also welcome wanting more countries influenced DLC in the game. I do wish we had more features in the gallery to create & share our own items (clothes, accessory, world, tattoos, & etc) for free to anyone (like in the sims 3 gallery) in the sims 4 gallery & abilities to download them from talent users all over the world that had countries influenced creation items to make the game more better & interesting. Like how CC created help save the sims 4.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    No
    No. It's a US game made in the US by (mainly) US citizens. It's fine. Can't represent every country in the world nor would I have them try. I never race or culture played much in the sims. My sims are just sims to me. Living in just a world 🙂
    Just give me zombies and a swamp world.

Exactly it's weird how people are upset that the game mostly represents the country of origin.
  • invalid_grantinvalid_grant Posts: 4 New Member
    I was fine with it until NAPs were introduced. It's a completely alien thing to me and I didn't know how it worked. It's one thing adding your culture cause it's what you have more experience with and can portray most realistically and another adding political peculiarities only understood in America. Also all of my sims are now called "they" by the game despite the fact that I'm not into it either.
    No
    Am I the only one who gets Rothenburg ob der Tauber vibes from Windenburg?

Not sure about the town specifically (had to Google it, sorry :D ) but I most certainly get Bavaria vibes!
    All we need now is some Oktoberfest inspired game play including "Beer" Steins and ehrr...dirndls & lederhosen?
    October patch maybe? We could do with some outlandish partying for a change.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,888 Member
    edited October 2021
    Simmingal wrote: »
    grandma wear

Is this another of those "Knitting" arguments where somehow people think "grandmas" in 2021 looks like little old ladies from 1896?
    Unless she's a vampire, no woman in the western world would wear anything really different if she's 45 or 65 years old.

And why do my sims have to exist in 2021?
    why does my sim have to be in western world?
    why can't they be epic vampire grandma?

I do not comment on how real grandmas wear their clothes these days

I just use the grandma stereotype/ media costume style to convey what type of clothes i am looking for without having to write essay about it

= modest clothing with lace details, flower prints, fun oldstyle stuff,vintage fits, and beautiful old accessories to go with

all in cozy comfy way

sure real grandmas probably don't look so cool anymore but mine surely did wear their clothes that way

so i just want option to dress my sims in similar manner should i choose so.
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    No
    Another thing they needs to be adress is the United States of America is huge.We have different climates and cultures base on state and region.
    edited October 2021
    No
    As far as very narrow streets I think that would be impossible in TS4. It's almost impossible to play houses or buildings that are lining a very narrow street (we have some in San Francisco and other areas of the US btw) because the camera settings would bleed over into the next building. A lot of us have built those type 'towns' for our older games with a very narrow street separating buildings. The problem with that is the camera could almost see everything inside the other building across the street, behind the lot, beside the lot, etc. This makes it difficult to play though the graphics were not as good in TS2 and we could only see a few things on transparent floors if we build homes or buildings that close but in TS3 we could almost see it all. The game would render everything next door etc. inside the buildings. I don't think people think about what it takes to build a very narrow street with many homes or community lots side by side. I don't know why people thinks America doesn't have row houses, either, there are plenty, every where. I think it is a matter of precision and the camera ability to not bleed into other buildings, not a lack of wanting to bring other European styled towns to the game. No one wants to see a dark streak across their screen and not realize that's a tree too close to a building. The same difference with narrow streets with very close knit buildings would happen and has in older games. I'm going to guess the width of a road/street is important for gameplay purposes and more important than immersion on this one, since I have done this is older games and it's not fun to play with such narrow streets at all. Camera settings would have to get an overhaul.