March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think the Sims 4 & its DLC is too US/euro focused?

Comments

• JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    Yes
    This game is based on Anytown, USA.

The original creator & the gaming companies are all from the US. That's what they know, that's what they made. It seems like they're trying to include different cultures now, because the Sims has a global presence.

But they've still got some 'refreshing' to do, haha.
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    edited September 2021
    No
    No. I mean they are based in the US ofcourse a lot is going to come from their own experiemces. but I feel like they work hard to be inclusive of other cultures.
    Post edited by Caitxcat on
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    No
    Daravi wrote: »
    Im also one of those who want a new world to be based from an asian or african country
    Imagine an overrepresentation of white and asian-based sim in a centralafrican-based sim village, reverse to HoB. I can already see whole socialmedia channels burning, rightfully in my eyes. The same people who don't care about HoB-overrepresentation, will be definately explode if this happen on an african-themed village. I would be really cautious, especially after the japanese dlc incident. I know an overrepresentation won't happen, but I really asking myself would the PoC-player accept it if a white family would live in an african-themed village or would they be angry, because the white/asian sim ruined the immersion?

Yeah, youre overthinking this or being facetious lol

White families are found everywhere, even in countries in Africa. Asian families are found everywhere, even in countries in South America. And every kind of race can be found anywhere. But if you want a certain playstyle or world, go for it. This is why I wish we had more control over the way townies spawn. I do wish there were tabs to control how many townies, what sex, single/married, what age, what color/ethnicity etc generates in your world. I actually have had a world I wanted asian set in the past, and I had to keep editing townies. I wasnt angry or outraged though, thats just how the game is designed.

I dont really care what twitter thinks about my personal game and neither should you. Im only annoyed if the sims team accepts those extreme political or social views and then limits options for everyone else.

Do you really want the team to stop including anything thats not US/Eurocentric because of irrational complaints?

I remember the issue with SE controversy, and I dont like the decison the team made.

Seriously, I loved to have other cultures in my game and I don't say they should stop, just be cautious. I'm an expat, I lived and will live again in different cultures and learnt and loved various local things and took some of them in my daily life, because I loved them, they felt right. Now the majority sees this as cultural appropriation, although I live after the proverb, when you are in Rome, do like the Roman's, just to not attract attention, it could be seen as western arrogance. It's an balancing act, believe me, I'm obliged to represent the correct and best behavior in my rl, I have to thought about it and it's not funny as it's sounds.

I'm not a Twitter fan or happy about what happened in the past there either, but this is something what companies in general have to keep an eye on, otherwise they get sued or get killed by bad publicity. The emotions are on a very high level in the USA, and we are talking about an American company what some people see as irrational, could be see by other as an serious and important issue. I can't judge what's wrong or right, nor I want to. But they keep judging without mercy. I keep shaking my head when reading news about the USA. In their righteous anger, they ignore personality rights of their targets, they want a revenge and destroy. They do the same what they don't want for themself.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited September 2021
    No
    Im also one of those who want a new world to be based from an asian or african country
    Imagine an overrepresentation of white and asian-based sim in a centralafrican-based sim village, reverse to HoB. I can already see whole socialmedia channels burning, rightfully in my eyes. The same people who don't care about HoB-overrepresentation, will be definately explode if this happen on an african-themed village. I would be really cautious, especially after the japanese dlc incident. I know an overrepresentation won't happen, but I really asking myself would the PoC-player accept it if a white family would live in an african-themed village or would they be angry, because the white/asian sim ruined the immersion?

Yeah, youre overthinking this or being facetious lol

White families are found everywhere, even in countries in Africa. Asian families are found everywhere, even in countries in South America. And every kind of race can be found anywhere. But if you want a certain playstyle or world, go for it. This is why I wish we had more control over the way townies spawn. I do wish there were tabs to control how many townies, what sex, single/married, what age, what color/ethnicity etc generates in your world. I actually have had a world I wanted asian set in the past, and I had to keep editing townies. I wasnt angry or outraged though, thats just how the game is designed.

I dont really care what twitter thinks about my personal game and neither should you. Im only annoyed if the sims team accepts those extreme political or social views and then limits options for everyone else.

Do you really want the team to stop including anything thats not US/Eurocentric because of irrational complaints?

I remember the issue with SE controversy, and I dont like the decison the team made.

Seriously, I loved to have other cultures in my game and I don't say they should stop, just be cautious. I'm an expat, I lived and will live again in different cultures and learnt and loved various local things and took some of them in my daily life, because I loved them, they felt right. Now the majority sees this as cultural appropriation, although I live after the proverb, when you are in Rome, do like the Roman's, just to not attract attention, it could be seen as western arrogance. It's an balancing act, believe me, I'm obliged to represent the correct and best behavior in my rl, I have to thought about it and it's not funny as it's sounds.

I'm not a Twitter fan or happy about what happened in the past there either, but this is something what companies in general have to keep an eye on, otherwise they get sued or get killed by bad publicity. The emotions are on a very high level in the USA, and we are talking about an American company what some people see as irrational, could be see by other as an serious and important issue. I can't judge what's wrong or right, nor I want to. But they keep judging without mercy. I keep shaking my head when reading news about the USA. In their righteous anger, they ignore personality rights of their targets, they want a revenge and destroy. They do the same what they don't want for themself.

I think some comments have some value, but also stick true to what you know what's reasonable and whats not. Every experience ive had with someone from another culture has always been welcoming to assimilate in theirs. When you take social media / outrage out of the equation, so many more experiences are more peaceful. Its also good to limit negativity from others who are assuming your character and decisions, especially when they are quick to assume you have a prejudice of some sort.

I do think the team has to be careful and cautious, but I just hope that the bias and political and social extremes of some do not limit the scope of what they want to provide. But thats also the other coin of being a big business. Even an indie game has more freedom, but usually less resources.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2021
    No
    No, I have never thought about it like that, a game generally has a setting which have different features inspired by things from other worlds, but I don't expect that to be from equal parts of the world, nor do I think it should be, that's an impossible task.

I don't think people should expect the sims 4, a game with serious flaws, to represent the whole world. Games are difficult to make, you need a lot of art, research and development, that's why developers generally only focus on a particular setting with different influences and then they work on that and put in details into that setting.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    No

*ahem*

If, somehow you were under the impression that I posted here before…the answer is NO. That’s just your wild imagination.
    Anyway…😇

Below I’ll post what I posted before, I mean what I posted before in my head, of course…because I didn’t post anything here before. 👀

Anyways, I didn’t realize there was anything else beyond US/ Europe. I thought the world sort of revolves around us. 😋

The game is a bit too much Planet -Down To - Earth focused in my opinion. I believe we’re in dire need of some extraterrestrial gameplay and plenty more enchanted portals. Time for our Sims to be whisked away to the Whimsical Lands of Weirder and more Magical and More Weird. Sure not everybody agrees. As long as I agree, which I do.

I’m well aware that the game is designed in US by US, however, I do think the team should be a little more creative with the base game mailboxes. And that’s all I have to say about that….

Other than that they’re doing a fine job with adding items and worlds inspired by other cultures around the globe.

The emphasis should be on “Inspired” though. It’s all The Sims ever needed. What the Sims doesn’t need is “Literally Represent”. I find that the latter is such a bad idea and too often results in a game / community breaker.

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    No
    Other than that they’re doing a fine job with adding items and worlds inspired by other cultures around the globe.

The emphasis should be on “Inspired” though. It’s all The Sims ever needed. What the Sims doesn’t need is “Literally Represent”. I find that the latter is such a bad idea and too often results in a game / community breaker.
    I absolutely agree with this. Trying to literally represent specific worldwide locations, cultures, or peoples would so likely become a horrible train wreck. That I'd probably still stop to look at, but still...
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    No
    *ahem*

If, somehow you were under the impression that I posted here before…the answer is NO. That’s just your wild imagination.
    Anyway…😇

Below I’ll post what I posted before, I mean what I posted before in my head, of course…because I didn’t post anything here before. 👀

Anyways, I didn’t realize there was anything else beyond US/ Europe. I thought the world sort of revolves around us. 😋

The game is a bit too much Planet -Down To - Earth focused in my opinion. I believe we’re in dire need of some extraterrestrial gameplay and plenty more enchanted portals. Time for our Sims to be whisked away to the Whimsical Lands of Weirder and more Magical and More Weird. Sure not everybody agrees. As long as I agree, which I do.

I’m well aware that the game is designed in US by US, however, I do think the team should be a little more creative with the base game mailboxes. And that’s all I have to say about that….

Yes, precisely! Like, why don't we have a bog city or violet beaches or furry trees for harvesting or hovering bridges that can blow away in the wind or a mechanical cog realm (since we have all of those gigantic contraptions like the telescope, micro(haha)scope and cupcake monstrosity) with aeronautics? I would love to see physics that don't exist in our world and unusual colors and fantastical towns. The Magic Realm is so full of fabulous, I want more of that and other oddities please. Throw in some inspirational flavor from real cultures from our planet and you could have something very unique and special. <3
    #Team Occult
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2021
    No
    VeeDub wrote: »

I absolutely agree with this. Trying to literally represent specific worldwide locations, cultures, or peoples would so likely become a horrible train wreck. That I'd probably still stop to look at, but still...

Yeah, if you add too much without having put in enough development into it then the end result will not turn out great, which is kinda what townies have turned into with their generated random outfits.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    No
    Simmingal wrote: »
    grandma wear

Is this another of those "Knitting" arguments where somehow people think "grandmas" in 2021 looks like little old ladies from 1896?
    Unless she's a vampire, no woman in the western world would wear anything really different if she's 45 or 65 years old.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,553 Member
    No
    Simmingal wrote: »
    grandma wear

Is this another of those "Knitting" arguments where somehow people think "grandmas" in 2021 looks like little old ladies from 1896?
    Unless she's a vampire, no woman in the western world would wear anything really different if she's 45 or 65 years old.

LOL! Didn’t you know? Those groovy mini skirted teens in the 60’s reverted to little Victorian spinsters when they turned 50!
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited October 2021
    No
    I think I agree with the spirit of the grandparents wear discussion, but while everyone is different in my experience there is a fashion change. Definitely nothing out of 1896, but in my own family once you embrace gray hair you: care little to nothing about makeup, change regular hairstyles to less maintenance because you aren't getting it dyed as often, focus more on comfort than appearance with clothing choices, usually pick easy to wear (slip on) shoes, and probably have some medical accessories.

I can make what I consider a normal little old lady just fine in 4, so I think I understand the criticism being thrown around here, but I do believe our styles change as we get older.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    No
    Stick with what you know because every time they try to step out of the box, here comes the controversy. I will say they do try.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    No
    its a us game so no but I still want more japan stuff
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    No
    The problem is that the world is full of cultures. It is amazing problem but it also makes it easy to step on toes of you are too specific OR too generic.

"People" (you know, other people), keep forgetting that yes, for someone outside of Europe, "White European" is a homogeny. Up until recently most people also thought that way about South America, Africa or Asia tho that is at least changing slowly.

Not many people today would think that Northern China, Japan and Thailand are culturally identical anymore, and at least SOME people can these days distinguish between more than just "North of Sahara and the Rest" when it comes to Africa. At least they know where South Africa is as well as Egypt... ;)

I get Windenburg. It is "Basically Germany with some of Eastern France, Northern Italy and Austria thrown in, I guess". Jungle Adventure is a made up (tho fairly respecting) country in Central or South America (Sort of like what Marvel Comics would do when they didn't want to step on toes and be free to replace leaders and stuff). City Living is basically San Frantokyo from Big Hero 6.

Snowy Escape is... another matter. Somewhere recently the Sim team has gone to pick specific IRL cultures. We now have "Japan", As in very specifically Japan. We also have "Marocco" and "India" (although just as a kit), and the same soon with "South Korea" (also just a kit). We ALSO not only have Windenburg but now also very specifically "England".

My point is that done well, it is awesome, but we still have over 5000 unique cultures to go through. Who decides where we go next?
    If we are going to be respectful to individual cultures, Europe is no less diverse than Asia or Africa. And the other way around of course.
    Spain, Finland, Ireland, Greece, Norway and many more definitely deserves packs of their own on the size and magnitude of Country Living. They ARE culturally different enough to theoretically warrant packs of their own.
    Same of course with Chile, Brazil, Colombia... Or Iran, Turkey, Israel and Syria. All deserves dedicated packs to them. Because they are that unique. Or for a more gigantic example (Africa), what about South Africa, Kenya, Nigeria or even Madagascar?

The problem is that after the Sims team stopped inventing countries and started packs of Specific REAL countries there is no going back, but it is also far harder to not offend people by doing a pack "wrong" OR by not doing a pack at all "Why not Korea when we got Japan?".
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited October 2021
    No
    No, not really. I mean US yes, Europe no. It doesn't bother me. There are some bites from everywhere. And yeah I agree with others that it could use some Africa even though I am genuinely tired of representation. All the demanding got out of hand.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Way too US-centric, no where near enough Euro continent.

But then, we also run into the problem that the world has many cultures, and the game is unable to represent them all. Europe is made up of multiple cultures. Africa, Asia, and South America also have multiple cultures.
    Australia & NZ generally get ignored. Apparently, we do not exist.

It's way past time we had a Tasmania themed pack...
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    No
    Movotti wrote: »

You sneaky Devil ;)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2021
    No
    I sort of don't understand your references. I think all countries are just about westernized aren't they? I mean where can you go in a culture that doesn't drive cars, have planes, have pcs, cell phones, TVs and I am asking for real? It seems people think that other peoples are still living in the stone ages, where they still practice old traditions from thousands of years ago, and or dress in traditional attire on a daily basis, but that isn't true but only in a very few places in the middle east. Unless people live on an island far away from the westernized world all countries have what came from America, like cars, planes, TVs, cellphones, Electricity, etc. So, I really don't understand the statements about mannerisms and culture.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    No
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Unless people live on an island far away from the westernized world all countries have what came from America, like cars, planes, TVs, cellphones, Electricity, etc.

All countries have what came from America because America has what came from all countries. 😉
    edited October 2021
    No
    I sort of don't understand your references. I think all countries are just about westernized aren't they? I mean where can you go in a culture that doesn't drive cars, have planes, have pcs, cell phones, TVs and I am asking for real? It seems people think that other peoples are still living in the stone ages, where they still practice old traditions from thousands of years ago, and or dress in traditional attire on a daily basis, but that isn't true but only in a very few places in the middle east. Unless people live on an island far away from the westernized world all countries have what came from America, like cars, planes, TVs, cellphones, Electricity, etc. So, I really don't understand the statements about mannerisms and culture.

What is so western about about cars, tv and technology? 🤣 i mean paper exists in the sims but i dont consider it to be chinese influenced game.

As far as culture, I mean some things that dont really exist in the Sims. Like for example the school system is from a western perspective. Ive seen some comments before like the way classes work in DU is different from their home country.

Some culture mannerism was brought in from Snowy Escape. Like leaving shoes at the door, bowing ,and like the uniforms as well. Things like that is what I meant by mannerisms. Some people kiss cheeks as a greeting and others wave hi or handshake. Like if you had drinking fizzy juice with a korean family in game, a sim may pour a drink respectfully the way it works in their culture. Things that would be considered cultural ettiquite where they live.

Korean-Drinking-Culture9.jpg

Your comment also comes off a little rude. When a country isnt "westernized" it doesnt mean its in the stone age. And traditional wear in some places arent as formal as you may think, its normal to be seen wearing some kinds of dresses or styles because it is their culture. Like how its normal to see people in America wearing a dress or suit and tie.

• GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Yes
    Not Eurocentric necessarily, but definitely UScentric. The Sims to me just feels very American, even in worlds that are supposed to be inspired by other countries or cultures it just gives me 'made in the USA' vibes. Now that's not necessarily an issue to me, and like others have mentioned I would much prefer that if they are doing other cultures they make it more of an inspiration (like with Sulani), rather than trying to recreate another country or culture. I tend to notice the US vibes a lot more with caucasian style sims than anything else, I seriously don't think I've ever looked at a premade white sim and thought, 'Oh they're from outside the US'.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No

What is so western about about cars, tv and technology? 🤣 i mean paper exists in the sims but i dont consider it to be chinese influenced game.

As far as culture, I mean some things that dont really exist in the Sims. Like for example the school system is from a western perspective. Ive seen some comments before like the way classes work in DU is different from their home country.

Some culture mannerism was brought in from Snowy Escape. Like leaving shoes at the door, bowing ,and like the uniforms as well. Things like that is what I meant by mannerisms. Some people kiss cheeks as a greeting and others wave hi or handshake. Like if you had drinking fizzy juice with a korean family in game, a sim may pour a drink respectfully the way it works in their culture. Things that would be considered cultural ettiquite where they live.

Your comment also comes off a little rude. When a country isnt "westernized" it doesnt mean its in the stone age. And traditional wear in some places arent as formal as you may think, its normal to be seen wearing some kinds of dresses or styles because it is their culture. Like how its normal to see people in America wearing a dress or suit and tie.

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was talking about the westernized, modern world. We all live in a modern world where we all use what I listed. Which was created in America and I only mentioned those modern conveniences because you asked did we think the game was too American and or too European. There isn't any where (almost) that you can go where any of that isn't present in modern life. It's just a fact and shouldn't be taken rudely or anything else.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    Yes
    Movotti wrote: »
    Way too US-centric, no where near enough Euro continent.

But then, we also run into the problem that the world has many cultures, and the game is unable to represent them all. Europe is made up of multiple cultures. Africa, Asia, and South America also have multiple cultures.
    Australia & NZ generally get ignored. Apparently, we do not exist.

Agreed. Even with the worlds that are supposed to be European or UK inspired it feels to me like a bunch of American sims went on holiday and randomly decided to live there and build a city/town for themselves.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

edited October 2021
    No

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was talking about the westernized, modern world. We all live in a modern world where we all use what I listed. Which was created in America and I only mentioned those modern conveniences because you asked did we think the game was too American and or too European. There isn't any where (almost) that you can go where any of that isn't present in modern life. It's just a fact and shouldn't be taken rudely or anything else.

Well i wasnt mentioning tech, i said in my orignal comment what i meant by US or Euro inspired:

As far as worlds, food, clothing, activies, and mannerisms