Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Having issues with styling townies with NPC roles.

I've been working on a nostalgic save file where all sims look like sims from previous Sims games. But I've been having some problems with NPC roles.

Currently I'm trying to set librarians and gym trainers. But every time I have edited a librarian in CAS and I go back to the lot, a new sim is spawned to replace the librarian. I have created a couple of gym trainers and given them the right traits and jobs through cheats, but the game prefers to select a random premade for a gym trainer. I've also edited premade townies that had been selected by the game to be gym trainer, but again, after editing them, another sim will be selected.

Basically this makes it possible to tweak these NPC roles. Which is a shame, because I really wan to play the game without randomly generated looking townies. And I have thought of some fun Sims 1 style names to give to the librarians, like Paige Turner and Betty Book, that I really want to use.

Does anyone have experience with this and know a solution?

And does anyone know how bartenders are selected? It seems to me that a random sim will be picked every time and it is no use to try and make custom bartenders. Is that true?

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    The mistake you are making when doing this is you are not to actively play the sim, not even for a moment just to bring them into CAS. This deletes the part that gives them that role. Instead what you do is from Manage World, find the household the sim is living in, take them straight to CAS from there. Go into CAS, and edit their outfits, hairstyle, and anything else.

When it comes to assigning the roles, the game will usually pick from the homeless section, or creating a whole new sim for that role, and also picking sims with certain traits that did not have a job to fill a role. I was a little curious about this a while back. I went through a game save and evicted quite a few sims, and noticed that very soon after that they were doing different NPC roles such as the bartender, librarian, and so on, even though they already had a job (that your sim can also work at). I'm sure there is more to this than that, but this is what I have discovered personally.
  • VividVivid Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2021
    Thanks for your insight! Actually I only edit them through Manage World, so what you desrcibed is not the issue. I am aware that actively playing them will remove any NPC role related traits/jobs. So I make sure never to do that.

The sims I'm using are definitely suited for the roles, because they have all had them before. It's just after editing them (through manage worlds) that they lose their roles. I now have like 8 homeless sims that used to be librarians, all suited for the job, but the game keeps generating new ones.

It also keeps making new retail workers, even though I've imported some retail workers from other save files through the gallery. But the retail workers do keep their roles after I have edited them in CAS, so that's not a big issue.
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    In my experience, the only way to make sure they don't lose their NPC role is to edit them while you're in live mode. I edit gym trainers all the time and they always keep their job. What I do is, while I am playing my Sim, I find the NPC at their job location. Then I open the cheat console and type in testingcheats true hit enter and then cas.fulleditmode and hit enter and close the console. Then I shift-click the Sim and click on edit in CAS (or something similar). Then I edit them as usual but before I leave CAS, I make sure that I have selected the outfit category they were wearing when I entered CAS. Otherwise - although I don't think this happens with homeless households - it can happen that you switch over to that household when you exit CAS and are playing the Sim you only wanted to edit. And this is how I edit 90% of game-generated Sims, not from Manage Households but on the go.
    Librarians are a bit of a different creature though because they wear a career outfit that you can't edit in regular CAS. There are separate cheats for that which I have never tried. But you can edit the physique and features this way of course.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    edited September 2021
    wish theyd just give us actual npc manager already p_p even my CoL roles are messed and it hasn't even been that long dang it

so tired of randomized townies taking over everything and landgraabs being reduced to being massage therapists and maids and whatever the heck is worst possible role match
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I flag freeze them in their career with MCCC, that keeps everybody where I want them career wise. I get tired of making over endless NPC’s.
  • I've found success editing in Manage Worlds. As long as you move them back into Unplayed Households, they should revert to whatever role they had when you went to edit them. Rebuilt a couple of Britechester librarians and they kept their roles.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'll play around with editing them through shift-clicking in live mode and see if that works.

And I'll definitely see into that career locking thing. I prefer playing the game without such core mods, but I've had to install MCCC to recreate ghosts for some graveyard lots anyway, so I might as well keep it!
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    Vivid wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice!

I'll play around with editing them through shift-clicking in live mode and see if that works.

And I'll definitely see into that career locking thing. I prefer playing the game without such core mods, but I've had to install MCCC to recreate ghosts for some graveyard lots anyway, so I might as well keep it!

You can keep ghosts if you have them move in and became playable. Then you can put all your ghost in same household and out of the world. They will still haunt through their urns (at least this works for me on a residential lot, haven't tried on a community lot).
  • RedShoe7RedShoe7 Posts: 705 Member
    I've been obsessed with NPCs for a while now. I don't like the randomly generated ones. I have some mods that help but for just editing them in CAS, just use manage households to edit them but make sure (as was mentioned above) that you put them back into Unplayed households. When you edit them they automatically go into played households. Just click on the heart and they will go back to unplayed households. If you don't do this any NPCs will lose their jobs.

I have some mods for assigning roles and preventing random NPCs but for some reason Librarians can't be assigned. They have to be generated by the game so I edit them all the time. There will also be two librarians for every library so if you edit one and see another, it may just be the other's shift.

Good luck!
    A thanks for mentioning that there's two librarians for every library! I finally managed to style them. But now I'll make sure to have a second one spawn for each library!

I've been using the copy/paste function in MCCC a lot and I feel like I have things under control now haha