Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you use to tell stories for your Sims?

Comments

• TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    The "story" is all written in my head.
    Mostly in my head, but a few photo snippets here and there of parts of that bigger picture.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • jpsulsuldagdagjpsulsuldagdag Posts: 450 Member
    It's all in my head. I don't have the energy to blog or vlog about it.
  • johnny33johnny33 Posts: 91 Member
    Ever since I found out Sims 3 keeps track of days I've been interested in story telling with the day tracker. Just started a new save where my sim is writing books as a form of memories that are stamped with the in-game date. I'm probably going to have to build a large library eventually :D

mRfnSIc.png
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    All (fictional) stories start in somebody's head, so...
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • elissaaaaelissaaaa Posts: 4 New Member
    Honestly one of the only reasons that keeps me playing is making the story up in my head but also screenshots are fun too
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    How can we add custom memories in sims 3 scrapbook? Would love to do it. Is it posible?
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    The Sims 2 photo albums
    @texxx78 You should see a button in the Universal Control Panel (UCP). It looks like a tiny photo album picture. You can't miss it. Click on that button. The game will take you into Cameraman mode, and you can focus the camera and take a picture. Once you have taken a picture, that picture will automatically go into the active Sim's photo album, and you can write a little title and description.

For me at least, I really dislike the built-in memories system, and I usually disable all memories. Instead of creating auto-memories, I just make custom memories/snapshots and fill up the scrapbooks that way.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @waterywatermelon thank you so much! A way to write my family's history in game, with pictures... This is amazing!
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,395 Member
    I don't. I play wants-based
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,941 Member
    edited January 2022
    i store it in my head and separate screenshot folders until i come and type it up on forum post maybe

though that becomes kind of complicated once you've been playing the story for long time and haven't wrote anything up :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The Sims 2 photo albums
    Have finally found a way to tell TS4 stories in the TS2 way. It's more cumbersome as it involves an outside game display, but does the same job with the benefit of not needing the game to see/read the story. The basics are:
    Set up a story folder per household
    Play game and take your shots, keeping story elements in mind
    After playing, move the shot files into the relevant folder(s)
    rename files so you don't have the date-time issues that can't handle AM vs PM and change of year. I start with 001 and go from there
    using your graphics programme (I use the provided Windows Paint for simplicity), add a blank space for captions and the text function for writing them. Voila! you have your stories.

This has revolutionized TS4 for me, moving it out of boring into usually fun.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I mostly take photos in whatever method the game allows, and the “story” is usually in my head as I take some general photos. I don’t share my stories much, though.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • jazzunicornsjazzunicorns Posts: 185 Member
    Personal website or blog (great for written stories)
    I defs miss the old TS2 exchange with options to upload stories in the form of photo albums along with sims and lots. It also housed the forums. I'm old though! :)
  • hiddengnomeshiddengnomes Posts: 21 Member
    > @Simmingal said:
    > i store it in my head and separate screenshot folders until i come and type it up on forum post maybe
    >
    > though that becomes kind of complicated once you've been playing the story for long time and haven't wrote anything up :smile:

Haha it’s funny because the same thing happens to me with my blog. I usually take pics, edit, post them in my drafts/queue and write the way later. Sometimes I’m so ahead that I don’t even know what to caption the pictures anymore :D
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I plan my stories as I play according to who my Sims are attracted to. I play Sims 2 mostly.
  • lebgirl_18lebgirl_18 Posts: 142 Member
    mods and screenshots
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
    The Sims 2 photo albums
    As a writer, I find the TS2 albums indispensable for story telling. It transforms routine simming into what amounts to a graphic novel, something that can be explored, developed, and gone back to. Back in the days of the TS2 website those stories - text and pictures - could be shared with the greater simmer community. That part of the site amounted to an online writer's group where we shared and commented on one another's' work, possible because we had a concrete means of doing so. It turns a game into an art form.

I am with you on that one Oldseadogge.

I no longer make stories for the Sims. With the Sims 2 it was easy take a picture make an album and add your blog to it; upload to the Sims 2 forum where we could share our stories with the Sims 2 community.

I made many Sims 2 type tutorials for game playing but I feel the effort with the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 is not worth my time. It would distract from "fun" and not add to it.
  • LamaaaayLamaaaay Posts: 66 Member
    Social media website, such as YouTube or Twitter or Facebook (great for written or video stories)
    For the longest time I would just have stories for legacy's in my head and would normally make family trees for them. But recently I've been posting the story of my Legacy family on Instagram. I suppose it's not quite a written story, but it is the story of family throughout several generations. (so far 3 and a half)
  • fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    i literally just use my head for the stories hahaha
  • Humusk1Humusk1 Posts: 23 Member
    Screenshots help me keep track of the stories I'm working on and think of follow-up stories. Writing what's going on in the family bio and keeping it up to date also helps.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,845 Member
    A "screenshot storage" folder on my computer, outside of the Sims 4 folder to eliminate lag, broken out into subfolders for each save/story and sometimes more subfolders by household or by week if I'm planning to write the story down on the forum.

Sadly my Mac's Finder file manager and built-in Preview image viewing/editing app are far superior to Sims 4's screenshot manager. I need to be able to easily rename, batch delete, batch move, crop, reduce image size of a large group of images to aid in forum display, and move around subfolders quickly (or have a good tagging and search system if no subfolders). A shame because I actually like the built-in memory system on Sims 4 where sims can reminisce about certain memories, but it's too hard to find anything in that screenshot manager.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The Sims 2 photo albums
    A "screenshot storage" folder on my computer, outside of the Sims 4 folder to eliminate lag, broken out into subfolders for each save/story and sometimes more subfolders by household or by week if I'm planning to write the story down on the forum.

Sadly my Mac's Finder file manager and built-in Preview image viewing/editing app are far superior to Sims 4's screenshot manager. I need to be able to easily rename, batch delete, batch move, crop, reduce image size of a large group of images to aid in forum display, and move around subfolders quickly (or have a good tagging and search system if no subfolders). A shame because I actually like the built-in memory system on Sims 4 where sims can reminisce about certain memories, but it's too hard to find anything in that screenshot manager.

i came up with something similar a few months back for my PC. It's as close to the TS2 style as I can get, complete with lots of caption space. The TS4 approach is just too limited and awkward. TS2 memory system still the best.
  • MantleJackalMantleJackal Posts: 372 Member
    Pretty much all of my stories are in my head. I have no problem creating them in my mind but when it comes to getting them down in writing I draw blanks. Sometimes I get something down but inevitably I end up scrapping it. Maybe one day.
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,109 Member
    Yeah, all the stories are in my head. I would blog about them, but it's like being at a concert and watching it on your phone screen. You're just focusing on getting the evidence and not making the actual memory and enjoying the experience. It takes all the enjoyment away for me.
  • SirianaSimsSirianaSims Posts: 176 Member
    • I started out just taking screenshots while playing, picking the interesting ones and commenting/telling the story (The first few chapters of the Duchelli Legacy)
    • Then I started focusing on exploring some plot that had appeared by itself so I would set up specific situations because I certain screenshots. (Rest of Generation 1, beginning of Generation 2)
    • Then I began to plan out the plot beforehand, and getting my Sims into the situations I wanted screenshots of, often using poses. (Up until Chapter 23 or so)
    • Most recently, I am now writing out the entire blog post in text, summarising what screenshots I need, then going into game and posing what I need, taking waaaay too many screenshots and then picking out the best ones, while editing my text as needed.
    generation5julia.png