Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @emorrill - Thanks. I think as teens most of us experienced a particularly rough night babysitting and/or a difficult understaffed shift at the local fast food joint, etc. that may have left us questioning the point of our own existence after it was over. But those fleeting mood swings can usually easily be taken care of by playing with the dog for a bit, chatting with friends, cleaning oneself up and getting some sleep, or whatever other outlets one might have had available.

I like to think the game wasn't trying to emulate that, but rather the developers might have chosen a kinder way to express "destantiate" or "go into hibernation mode" even if the player wasn't meant to ever see the instruction on the screen. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Chiesbit wrote: »
    The info displayed can be modified to your liking, one of the default options is called Current Interaction, so when sims are doing something, even if it's just an idle animation it shows there. Something curious I've found with this mod is that the interaction of pregnant sims going into labor is called "This should not be seen" :lol:
    There's a number of little things that Tagger can reveal like that one, that the player was never really meant to see on-screen. I once noticed a homeless NPC teen babysitter hovering on the edge of the map after he finished his babysitting assignment, one would think patiently waiting for the game to make him go into hibernation as off-duty homeless sims do. The Tagger Current Interaction read "Destroy Myself."

That seemed so sad and rather extreme for what I knew was really supposed to happen. And his mood was really low too (I think the kiddies wore him out that evening)...but I made it up to him by getting a family to take him in as a resident the next time I saw him on-screen and he's doing much better now. :)

And here I thought my sims toddlers where a handful, the ones that poor babysitter had to take care of must've been true evil spawns, who knows what he had to endure to end up wanting to destroy himself lol
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @emorrill - Thanks. I think as teens most of us experienced a particularly rough night babysitting and/or a difficult understaffed shift at the local fast food joint, etc. that may have left us questioning the point of our own existence after it was over. But those fleeting mood swings can usually easily be taken care of by playing with the dog for a bit, chatting with friends, cleaning oneself up and getting some sleep, or whatever other outlets one might have had available.

I like to think the game wasn't trying to emulate that, but rather the developers might have chosen a kinder way to express "destantiate" or "go into hibernation mode" even if the player wasn't meant to ever see the instruction on the screen. :)

@igazor Agreed! :star:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Something curious I've found with this mod is that the interaction of pregnant sims going into labor is called "This should not be seen" :lol:

I just discovered that recently too.

• Options
    MR2021MR2021 Posts: 93 Member
    edited September 2021
    Well, I've never aged my toddlers up, I might be the only one lol

So maybe you haven't seen this meme lol:

aJVJKeT.jpg

Thank you for your reply. I thought it was some amazing feature of the game itself about which I had no idea.
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Some Ambitions careers are broken: Firefighter, Stylist and Architectural Designer. If your Sim has mastered the required skill(s) for that profession beforehand, it will take several Sim-weeks to reach the top.
    Therefore, my tips are: 1, if you don't want to cheat (that "shift+click" cheat I mentioned), make your Sim start learning the skill AFTER they join the career. One of my Sims went from level 1 to level 8 in the Architectural Designer simply by learning the Painting skill, and another reached the top of the Firefighter profession just by working on his Handiness and Athletic skills.
    And 2, you can use the Drafting Table for "research new fashion concepts" (Stylist) or "research architectural design" (Architectural Designer) to increase your job experience. Since you can do it whenever you want, and not only during work hours, your Sim can level up in the career relatively fast compared with solely performing jobs.

P.S.: I had no problems with the Ghost Hunter and the Investigator careers though.
    "If any one faculty of our nature may be called more wonderful than the rest, I do think it is memory … The memory is sometimes so retentive, so serviceable, so obedient; at others, so bewildered and so weak; and at others again, so tyrannic, so beyond control!" Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited September 2021
    If you have two guitar players at the same skill level,
    Both above level six,
    Both playing an acoustic guitar,
    no other instruments involved ...

If one starts a jam session (selecting jam), and then the other joins in,
    One will play the lead, and the other will play the harmony.

Never noticed it before ... :D

Edit:
    Of course it might be because I just got some pretty good Skullcandy headphones ...
    And depending on which player I put the camera closest to, I can hear which guitar is playing what.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Some time ago, I made a post about statistics of collectables and some skills, and while the former is complete, there is a lack of information about the latter. Therefore, I decided to make a post exclusively about skills. Some of them, however, do not have statistics (or, at least, not relevant ones), so I'll only talk about the ones that generate itens or important interactions with objects. All of them will have links to their specific pages in Sims Wikia.

Cooking = 64 recipes
    Guitar = 24 compositions
    Handiness = 45 (although the Skill Journal only indicates 42) upgrades
    Logic = 10 potions
    Painting = 171 paintings (small: 52; medium: 55; large: 42; brilliant: 9; masterpiece: 13. All of them have 9 variations depending upon the Sim's traits)
    Writing = 23 genres
    Martial Arts = 8 belts
    Photography = 4 sizes , 4 filters, 20 collections, 278 subjects in total
    Inventing = 18 inventions (widgets: 9; toys: 4; big inventions: 4; SimBot via an opportunity)
    Sculpting = 6 different materials, 94 sculptures
    Bass = 24 compositions
    Drums = 24 compositions
    Mixology = 62 drinks (although 8 of them are only available to some life states)
    Piano = 24 compositions
    Alchemy = 44 elixirs
    Bot building = 21 trait chips
    Laser Rhythm-a-con = 24 compositions
    Artisan = 34 creations (accessories: 16; glass objects: 13; perfumes: 5)
    Violin = 8 compositions

And at last but not least...

Hidden skills = 67 (list)

I'm well aware that Sims Wikia is not perfect, but, as far as I know, it's the best available source about the game (apart from the forums). Feel free to add or correct information about this post; after all, the more reliable data we have about this complex game in one place, the better.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I finally got all the Service Awards and Career Rewards! I'm feeling exhilarated! At last, I can make a complete post about the recolors of the trophies.

I decided to divide them by career at first. It will be a rather long post, since I'm not willing to divide it into short comments so as not to give the impression that I'm only trying to get likes. So, please, be patient and let's get down to it ;)

Architectural Designer: 4 Service Awards (Key to the City, Valor Trophy, Honor Trophy and Epic Hero Medal) + 1 Career Reward (Empirical Building Model)
    MvliQQB.jpg

Doctor: 5 Service Awards (Key to the City, Hero Medal, Epic Hero Medal, Honor Trophy and Valor Trophy) + 1 Career Reward (Skeletal Endowment). Unfortunately, I never got the Key to the City for this profession, even after trying it with 3 Sims (one in the "normal" way, the others with cheats), so I had to place the key from buydebug. There must be a glitch with this profession, since it's the only one released in the base game that benefits from the Ambitions awards.
    Y1afiuL.jpg

Firefighter: 7 Service Awards (all of them: Hero Medal, Epic Hero Medal, Key to the City, Valor Trophy, Honor Trophy, Hero Trophy and Award Ribbon) + 3 Career Rewards (Firefighter's Axe, Fireman's Coat and Golden Fire Hydrant). In this screenshot, there's also the Fire Alarm.
    xvilTSm.jpg

Ghost Hunter: 5 Service Awards (Key to the City, Award Ribbon, Hero Medal, Epic Hero Medal and Honor Trophy) + 1 Career Reward (Paranormal Memento)
    eVPcQDl.jpg

Inventor: 4 Service Awards (Key to the City, Honor Trophy, Hero Medal and Epic Hero Medal) + 1 Career Reward (Inventor's Accolade)
    lcEd2HT.jpg

Investigator: 6 Service Awards (Hero Medal, Epic Hero Medal, Key to the City, Honor Trophy, Hero Trophy and Award Ribbon) + 1 Career Reward (Investigator's Keepsake)
    jOVREbJ.jpg

Stylist: 4 Service Awards (Key to the City, Valor Trophy, Honor Trophy, Epic Hero Medal) + 1 Career Reward (Dazzling Looking Glass)
    iKsgX9i.jpg

There are 7 Service Awards for self-employed: only the Valor Trophy is not granted to these careers.

Fisher (Hero Medal)
    Z0gEJJc.jpg

Gardener (Hero Trophy)
    xUoS2Xr.jpg

Nectar Maker (Honor Trophy)
    q3cTcBc.jpg

Painter (Award Ribbon)
    TnXEr8j.jpg

Photographer (Key to the City)
    6Ssb4Pl.jpg

Sculptor (Epic Hero Medal)
    Y4V6M40.jpg

Writer (Honor Trophy)
    NaiWC10.jpg

Now, on to the recolors:

Hero Medals
    8WK1kjh.jpg

Epic Hero Medals
    rKD3ErH.jpg

Honor Trophies (it saddens me that two of them look exactly the same)
    D3bMFNu.jpg

Hero Trophies
    rXof9KU.jpg

Valor Trophies
    GJEoOex.jpg

Keys to the City (to my surprise, even them look different from each other. If you look closely, you'll see that not only the wood on the base can have 3 different shades, but also the keys can be golden, silver or bronze)
    IZ5lKHb.jpg

I won't give a screenshot of the different Award Ribbons, as I've already done this some time ago. Again, I apologize for the size of this post, but I hope it helps anyone willing to explore the minute details of the Ambitions pack. Personally, I enjoyed making this discoveries and ultimately pursuing each and every one award. It was no easy task, but in the end it was so rewarding...
  • Options
    I've recently discovered that you can copy the work anniversary gifts! That's right: you can use the Copy tool and place as many as you want of them. I had cheats on, so I don't know if you can copy them without cheats, and I believe it works best for decorative purposes, and not profit: they worth between 60 and 110 Simoleons and, bearing in mind that your Sim must be working on a rabbit hole for at least three years to get the first gift (the plaque), 110 Simoleons will probably make little difference in the household funds.
    The interesting part is that the game recognizes them as part of the "build mode", not "buy mode". Even so, they can't be found among the other items: probably an error in the code.
  • Options
    I would also like to share with you the trophies for competitions, as I don't know how many people have seen them. If I remember correctly, the ones from Riding competitions can't be purchased in buydebug.

Racing competitions: Beginner (bronze), Advanced (silver), International (gold)
    jU94Ifq.jpg

Jumping competitions: Beginner (bronze), Advanced (silver), International (gold) - Front and side
    MP7B8q4.jpg
    PhRFA60.jpg

Cross-Country competitions: Beginner (bronze), Advanced (silver), International (gold) - Front and side
    jdgxS1K.jpg
    mFNK295.jpg

I chose to show the side of the trophies too because I think the ones from jumping and cross-country don't look very good at the front pictures.

The same rule of recolors depending on the level of the competitions also applies for the trophies of the Bot Arena competitions. Unfortunately, my Sim wasn't able to win any of the International trophies: she always got 2nd, 3rd or 4th place... Anyway, here it goes:

BattleBot
    gHusA5p.jpg

Bot Building
    J9gppaZ.jpg

EmotiBot
    X7YXG2f.jpg

• Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    Screenshot-10.jpg
    I never noticed that the sim that asks the other sim to slow dance
    will occasionally wink at the other sim while dancing.Its adorable!
  • Options
    BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    edited September 2021
    MR2021 wrote: »
    I would also like to share with you the trophies for competitions, as I don't know how many people have seen them. If I remember correctly, the ones from Riding competitions can't be purchased in buydebug.

Racing competitions: Beginner (bronze), Advanced (silver), International (gold)
    jU94Ifq.jpg

Jumping competitions: Beginner (bronze), Advanced (silver), International (gold) - Front and side
    MP7B8q4.jpg
    PhRFA60.jpg

Cross-Country competitions: Beginner (bronze), Advanced (silver), International (gold) - Front and side
    jdgxS1K.jpg
    mFNK295.jpg

I chose to show the side of the trophies too because I think the ones from jumping and cross-country don't look very good at the front pictures.

Here's a Picture from my old Photobucket Account ... :D
    That was one awesome Horse too ... She adopted it from the stables.

I thought it was the wild one she had before that horse ...
    But then I noticed the second trainer in the picture ... :/

etc8.jpg

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    Lovecat182Lovecat182 Posts: 1 New Member
    [quote="Faerie197;c-15776431"]I do somewhat agree. There is a lot of stuff to do in Sims 3. And it can be rather overwhelming. A single sim can't take advantage of everything available to do. Well, they an if aging is disabled. But even just enabling aging when children are growing up, your sims will die of old age before they can truly master everything they can do.[/quote]

Just like in real life. It's one of the main reasons why generational play is possible and each sim has a different life, as opposed to Sims 4 where every Sim can do everything. Besides, you can change the lifespans of each life stage in Sims 3 if you want longer.
  • Options
    BlackSand wrote: »
    Here's a Picture from my old Photobucket Account ... :D
    That was one awesome Horse too ... She adopted it from the stables.

I thought it was the wild one she had before that horse ...
    But then I noticed the second trainer in the picture ... :/

etc8.jpg

Oh, I totally forgot about the "truly epic equine statue"! Unlike the trophies, this statue can be found in buydebug. It remained in my family inventory, as there was no room for it in my lot (actually, there was, but my house would look cramped). I simply LOVE this statue, along with two other sculptures depicting unicorns. Thanks for bringing it up. And oh my, your Sim has won A LOT of Advanced competitions! :D
  • Options
    jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    There are so many trophies and awards in this game! I've barely scratched the surface and I've been playing since 2009. Thanks everyone!
    Screenshot-5.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    jaletu2005 wrote: »
    There are so many trophies and awards in this game! I've barely scratched the surface and I've been playing since 2009. Thanks everyone!

Indeed! That is one of the things I love the most in the game (and my list is pretty long haha). And The Sims 3 is one of the two games that made me discover I'm like Muttley in my passion for medals and rewards lol
    Anyway, if you pursue these awards, I hope you have better luck than me and get ALL of them.
    Post edited by MR2021 on
  • Options
    If both the Tree of Prosperity and the Wishing Well are present on the same lot, pixies and fireflies will fly around the latter in the evening. I find this sooo cute!

0gvRSYr.jpg
    ABLLF2m.jpg
    vC9wzhR.jpg
  • Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I just realized that child sims with the No Sense of Humor trait can't do some if not all of the fun kid activities from Generations. No joyrides, no tea parties, no presiding over the royal court, although some people might consider that last one a blessing. It actually made me a little sad. They can still put on a costume and play pretend though, so I guess their childhoods aren't completely devoid of fun.
  • Options
    This one upset me so much that I posted a new topic about it. My sim was exploring in a tomb in Egypt, when a paparazzo caught fire outside and died. When he died, I got a message that said, "Trip over. Fikry Ameen has died," and my sim was sent home from Egypt. I had no idea this would happen, and have never read where anyone else has had it happen. So be forewarned when your sims are exploring tombs, especially in Egypt, that if you are suddenly taken to a sim on the lot who is on fire, you need to get your sim out there to put out the fire, if you want them to stay for the rest of their trip.
  • Options
    emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    This one upset me so much that I posted a new topic about it. My sim was exploring in a tomb in Egypt, when a paparazzo caught fire outside and died. When he died, I got a message that said, "Trip over. Fikry Ameen has died," and my sim was sent home from Egypt. I had no idea this would happen, and have never read where anyone else has had it happen. So be forewarned when your sims are exploring tombs, especially in Egypt, that if you are suddenly taken to a sim on the lot who is on fire, you need to get your sim out there to put out the fire, if you want them to stay for the rest of their trip.

@IreneSwift OMGOSH!! :open_mouth:

Well that bites... :( I'm sorry that happened...

I'd never heard of that happening to anyone either. And how did the Paparazzo catch fire? Lightning strike? Spewing some lies? :lol: Thanks for the heads up. 👍
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Options
    emorrill wrote: »
    @IreneSwift OMGOSH!! :open_mouth:

Well that bites... :( I'm sorry that happened...

I'd never heard of that happening to anyone either. And how did the Paparazzo catch fire? Lightning strike? Spewing some lies? :lol: Thanks for the heads up. 👍

It was hot, and he was out there too long. I had two paparazzi catch on fire once before, from hanging around outside a tomb another of my sims was exploring, but I sent her outside to put them out that time. This sim was so deep into the tomb, I didn't think he could get out there in time.

• Options
    Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    Screenshot-10.jpg
    I never noticed that the sim that asks the other sim to slow dance
    will occasionally wink at the other sim while dancing.Its adorable!

Off topic I know, but that entire photo of your Sims... The room, the Sims, the outfits, THE THEME... I absolutely love it. It's beautiful.
  • Options
    BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    I didn't know that teenagers who are scolded by parents or family can sit in a chair or on a couch and sulk.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I didn't know that if we delete the school in the town editor. kids and teens just don't have to go to school, without any penalization... This is so useful to play homeschooling or for historical saves...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top