Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Season, New Sims! New Kits!

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    One thing I like about kits is hat they are so small and exact theme wise, that I think it's not the purpose that we shall all like each and every of them. Also, I think when adding stuff for a specific style/theme (CAS or BB), we don't always need a full stuff pack, but for some themes just a small number items will make perfect sense. So, I just feel extremely relaxed about the kits, they are not thee to attack us, they are not evil, they are just an option for anyone whop fancy some little extra. Also, not being enthusiastic is not the same as complaining. I think most not fancying what's on offer will simply look forward and move on - that's another good thing about kits, we don't necessarily miss out on a lot of content if we skip one :)

The issue is that the game is already watered down, I don't want kits to become like the store packs in TS3 where they added all the fun gameplay and left all the rabbit holes in the game.

Well, the last 2 or 3 kits did not exactly introduce new game lay, or did I miss something? If all kits become stuffpacks, I might change my mind ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited September 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    We'll see if they quickly bundle and push them, but I suspect kits sell well enough to the more casual audience; Sims 4 is quite the cash cow after all. They had mentioned anyway that they were made so they could be skipped and it wasn't a big deal, which is why the content could afford to be more niche.

I just wish the kits would start being more niche already... most of the ones released up to now have been very much opposite of niche

do something weirder next time pls
    if its just gonna be same content as packs there is no meaning

or if this is supposedly the niche then packs should be more fun with weird stuff instead ;) I'll take that too
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Fashion Street looks like City Living rejects. I disabled City Living due to the horrendous clothing. I'm glad Cottage Living injected a bit of Britishness into the oh-so-American game.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    I wish they would finally give us some attractive male clothes instead of knitted jackets, boring coats or strange suits.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    Fashion Street looks like City Living rejects. I disabled City Living due to the horrendous clothing. I'm glad Cottage Living injected a bit of Britishness into the oh-so-American game.

Dang why they gotta be rejects 💀💀💀
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Well, no kit has been interesting to me so far. Let's see if they lure me in with these.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I quite like the Incheon kit but I find I can do without either and that's going to save me the £65 extra on my ever expanding real life electricity bill.
    Also I see we are back to demanding "gameplay" yet nobody has ever been able to define what that is on these forums.
    "Island living has no gameplay" - "you have literally dozens of new things to do!" - "I don't like that gameplay so I refuse to admit it's gameplay".
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member

Considering they worked with a Mumbai designer specifically for this kit, I hardly think they're "leftovers" or "rejects" from City Living. I think calaprfry just chose to express their opinion... poorly.
  • EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    edited September 2021
    Also I see we are back to demanding "gameplay" yet nobody has ever been able to define what that is on these forums.
    "Island living has no gameplay" - "you have literally dozens of new things to do!" - "I don't like that gameplay so I refuse to admit it's gameplay".

OT: To say that Island Living has no gameplay is an exaggeration. But, IMHO, the gameplay that Island Living does have is too boring and shallow for an Ex. pack. IMHO, for it to be worth its $40 price tag, Island Living needed at least a couple of the following additional suggestions: active diving with underwater buildable lot(s), more fleshed out mermaids, active resorts/hotels, houseboats, fully fleshed out off-the-grid/eco gameplay, sulani culture skill with learnable recipes, better festivals (which appear on the calendar so I am aware of their existence), boats for more than one sim or surfing.

As someone who primarily likes to play Sims 4 as opposed to building & creating sims, I was disappointed that the fall roadmap only lists kits. I was hoping for an actual GP. But, I am pleased with the free swatch update.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2021

I would say that gameplay is things that you do in Live mode. And people "demanding" gameplay are asking for more stuff to do in live mode.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    edited September 2021
    Now I think the ducks are a clue ... they are in the weird "glass window circle", but a guru also very clearly included ducks in the background of the French pig chef welcoming a new sim guru, couple days ago. I don't know how to share a twit here on the forum, and I know I should not share the picture directly - so you will need to scroll down a bit on here...

Near the end of this page...

Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think I can say this with confidence.

More kits? Ugh! I can't help but notice we haven't gotten any Stuff Packs since Kits started coming out.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2021
    I’m just standing here with my $10.00 hanging out.

k4FA4ns.gif

Someone surmised on Twitter that kits being quicker and less expensive to make were being pushed out to keep content fresh and cash flowing while they work on and put out the free updates to improve the base game and considering the last several updates I am totally willing to support that. So many people were all “I would be happy going a year without packs if they would just improve the base game”. Now many of those exact same people are all like “Aren’t we getting anymore packs?” 😂🤣

This is exactly what I've been thinking but wasn'tgoing to say anything 🤣. I heard a lot of players asking for them stop making packs and "fix the game" and I've been hearing it more and more on twitter of simmers telling them they don't want more packs but fixes. Now they are "fixing the game" probably working on bugs,lore and basegame simmers are like nooooooooooo we want packs!!😭😭 REAL packs lol.

Can't have it all *shrugs* 🤷‍♀️ I'm one of those players who rarely ever have a bug. And the ones I do don't bother me in the least so I prefer tons of gameplay packs. But if they are improving the basegame for a lot of players or even older packs then that's never a bad thing. And players who can't afford packs can still enjoy a fun basegame
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited September 2021
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Considering they worked with a Mumbai designer specifically for this kit, I hardly think they're "leftovers" or "rejects" from City Living. I think calaprfry just chose to express their opinion... poorly.

I agree that the items in the kit are very good. I know sometimes I might sound negative, it’s not my intention.
    I just love the Sims and get frustrated by some of the choices made.

The two kits are very close to existing packs. That’s why I’m not excited by them.

Although it’s not very clear what steps they took to make these kits. When I’ve seen a couple of You Tube videos tonight, one showed the designer talking about her input etc. It’s interesting.

I just think they could’ve chosen a different fashion theme so it looked like a brand new thing.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I just wish the kits would start being more niche already... most of the ones released up to now have been very much opposite of niche

or if this is supposedly the niche then packs should be more fun with weird stuff instead ;) I'll take that too

yeah...same...
    and its spooky season soon, shouldnt we get at least one dark kit?
    I mean, I like the mombai inspired cas but still...where is my niche stuff? gothic, punk/rock, sci-fi, fantasy?
    We better get an occult pack soon if kits dont fill the void.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

k4FA4ns.gif

Someone surmised on Twitter that kits being quicker and less expensive to make were being pushed out to keep content fresh and cash flowing while they work on and put out the free updates to improve the base game and considering the last several updates I am totally willing to support that. So many people were all “I would be happy going a year without packs if they would just improve the base game”. Now many of those exact same people are all like “Aren’t we getting anymore packs?” 😂🤣

This is exactly what I've been thinking but wasn'tgoing to say anything 🤣. I heard a lot of players asking for them stop making packs and "fix the game" and I've been hearing it more and more on twitter of simmers telling them they don't want more packs but fixes. Now they are "fixing the game" probably working on bugs,lore and basegame simmers are like nooooooooooo we want packs!!😭😭 REAL packs lol.

Can't have it all *shrugs* 🤷‍♀️ I'm one of those players who rarely ever have a bug. And the ones I do don't bother me in the least so I prefer tons of gameplay packs. But if they are improving the basegame for a lot of players or even older packs then that's never a bad thing. And players who can't afford packs can still enjoy a fun basegame

Yep, I said this on Twitter too.

Simmers: Bust The Dust was awful! Kits are too small and shouldn’t contain gameplay.
    Also Simmers: What? 4 new kits and none of them contain gameplay?

Like, I could probably successfully sue this community for giving me whiplash.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited September 2021
    Deleted. It was a misread of a misread. :smiley:

(But I am getting the Fashion Street Kit soon after it drops)
    Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member

k4FA4ns.gif

Im kind of half on board here.

i am happy with all the work being done on game improvements- i think the build buy stuff that's just turned up are a fantastic start and im reaaaally looking forward to the townie refresh and lore stuff that is in the pipeline. What im really holding out for is a whole world's refresh, if only for basegame and delivered by the gamechangers.... it would be brilliant. BUT i know that all these bug fixes and improvements come at the cost of packs.

But that doesnt mean im ok with Kits, or rather the volume of kits we are getting right now and the types of kits we are getting. I dont think we should be making people pay to be able to better represent themselves, their culture and diversity in game. I dont think that should be behind a pay wall in a game that supposedly pride's itself in people being able to play with life, be unashamedly themselves and not be judged, make anything possible etc.... oh but if you live in India and want to represent your own cultural style you are going to need to pay for that. See that just doesn't sit right with me. If it comes as part of a more fleshed out pack with game play features, build buy features and a world that are all linked in to a culture i can take it a little more, but when in the past we have had FREE updates to represent the islamic faith, chinese people, Caribbean people etc why suddenly does it cost $5 to be Indian or South Korean?

I would rather see less packs put out and ones with more game play elements included, ones that help build a game that the players are asking for. The only possible thing i can see the kits being produced right now being redeamed by is if a new travel pack was released where you have an air port and can create your own destination worlds - then you can use the content of the kits to create your own destinations. That maybe i could see the choice and variety open to simmers being a real bonus and not a cynical cash grab.

Bust the dust had it's flaws yes, but the concept in itself is brilliant- one very small niche idea that impacts your entire gameplay experience, if you choose to add it to your game, for what i think is a reasonable price. I wish they would explore that area more, rather than pumping out half hearted build kits (that are frankly put to shame by the likes of House of Harlix's Orjanic CC stuff packs) or CAS collections that are a) poor value for money and b) currently putting a paywall infront of something that used to be given to players for free and added to representation of diversity in the game.

So for me - im very very happy with the updates, not at all upset by the lack of larger packs but would much prefer either one stuff/game pack with decent game play content in it OR at the very least an overhaul of how they are approaching the kits right now because the current approach is really turning me off, big time.

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

k4FA4ns.gif

i am happy with all the work being done on game improvements- i think the build buy stuff that's just turned up are a fantastic start and im reaaaally looking forward to the townie refresh and lore stuff that is in the pipeline. What im really holding out for is a whole world's refresh, if only for basegame and delivered by the gamechangers.... it would be brilliant. BUT i know that all these bug fixes and improvements come at the cost of packs.

But that doesnt mean im ok with Kits, or rather the volume of kits we are getting right now and the types of kits we are getting. I dont think we should be making people pay to be able to better represent themselves, their culture and diversity in game. I dont think that should be behind a pay wall in a game that supposedly pride's itself in people being able to play with life, be unashamedly themselves and not be judged, make anything possible etc.... oh but if you live in India and want to represent your own cultural style you are going to need to pay for that. See that just doesn't sit right with me. If it comes as part of a more fleshed out pack with game play features, build buy features and a world that are all linked in to a culture i can take it a little more, but when in the past we have had FREE updates to represent the islamic faith, chinese people, Caribbean people etc why suddenly does it cost $5 to be Indian or South Korean?

I would rather see less packs put out and ones with more game play elements included, ones that help build a game that the players are asking for. The only possible thing i can see the kits being produced right now being redeamed by is if a new travel pack was released where you have an air port and can create your own destination worlds - then you can use the content of the kits to create your own destinations. That maybe i could see the choice and variety open to simmers being a real bonus and not a cynical cash grab.

Bust the dust had it's flaws yes, but the concept in itself is brilliant- one very small niche idea that impacts your entire gameplay experience, if you choose to add it to your game, for what i think is a reasonable price. I wish they would explore that area more, rather than pumping out half hearted build kits (that are frankly put to shame by the likes of House of Harlix's Orjanic CC stuff packs) or CAS collections that are a) poor value for money and b) currently putting a paywall infront of something that used to be given to players for free and added to representation of diversity in the game.

So for me - im very very happy with the updates, not at all upset by the lack of larger packs but would much prefer either one stuff/game pack with decent game play content in it OR at the very least an overhaul of how they are approaching the kits right now because the current approach is really turning me off, big time.

By this measure City Living, Snowy Escape, and Island Living should have all been free, or at least their CAS and BB should have been since all contain cultural items. Now that most of the big themes of the games are complete I don’t mind getting a volume of very affordable ways to add bits of new content to my game that I can mix and match with stuff I already have. Especially if it keeps the bills paid to help improve where the base game is/was lacking. This most recent update will make building and decorating so much easier. People have been requesting a standardized color pallet for ages now we have it and if buying kits help fund that kind of stuff I’m in!

I too love Bust The Dust, and hope the backlash they got doesn’t mean the end of gameplay kits forever. I have all of the previous kits and feel I did get good value for money with the exception of BTD not working for Off The Grid lots. I for one really enjoy the kits. I like the two they have previewed this week. I can already see the use I will get from them and I am eager to see what the other two will have to offer.

edited September 2021
    logion wrote: »

I would say that gameplay is things that you do in Live mode. And people "demanding" gameplay are asking for more stuff to do in live mode.

And we have been thru this. What more do you want? What exactly is that missing gameplay that would magically be enough?
    I don't miss any gameplay, but then I have played this franchise since Sims 1 and it is, and has always been, the same gameplay loop. (Although of course in Sims 4 it is much simpler; you usually don't literally die from depression or cockroaches and you are never in danger of not being able to pay your bills, ever and your days are long enough that you don't have to set up a perfect house for time saving purposes or starve to death because you don't have time to go to work if your stove is two squares too far away from your fridge).

Wake up, click on toilet. Click on shower. Click on fridge. Click on empty plate.
    Wait while Sim is at work.
    Click on toilet, click on fridge, click on empty plate.
    "Do a thing to gain a skill"
    Click on toilet, click on "invite over sim"
    Woo Hoo in item X
    Click TV, Click Bed

Repeat.

It seems to me the people that want more, really want a different game than Sims. That's all.
  • annalephantannalephant Posts: 98 Member

By this measure City Living, Snowy Escape, and Island Living should have all been free, or at least their CAS and BB should have been since all contain cultural items. Now that most of the big themes of the games are complete I don’t mind getting a volume of very affordable ways to add bits of new content to my game that I can mix and match with stuff I already have. Especially if it keeps the bills paid to help improve where the base game is/was lacking. This most recent update will make building and decorating so much easier. People have been requesting a standardized color pallet for ages now we have it and if buying kits help fund that kind of stuff I’m in!

I too love Bust The Dust, and hope the backlash they got doesn’t mean the end of gameplay kits forever. I have all of the previous kits and feel I did get good value for money with the exception of BTD not working for Off The Grid lots. I for one really enjoy the kits. I like the two they have previewed this week. I can already see the use I will get from them and I am eager to see what the other two will have to offer.

City living, snowy escape and island living all game with extensive game play, worlds and build buy that took it beyond just representing a yourself as a person physically in the game- you could say the same for get together, discover university and country living representing europeans, americans and the british, if you really want to push it down that road, because pretty much every expansion pack is based in a different area of the globe, but the difference is that the culture is part of a bigger picture, and the CAS items are just part of the pack to compliment the setting of the pack and it's theme, not the entirety of the pack as a whole. With the Kits you are just paying for some CAS items in isolation, purely to enable you to represent that culture in your sims. In the past when new cultures have been added to the game in a similar way (the addition of CAS assets and traditionally a handful of build buy items too) it was done as part of a basegame update for free. For me to take the same concept and start charging (and for us here in the UK we are paying $6.80 for each kit- £4.99) it will never feel comfortable to me, in the same way it would never feel comfortable to me for them to create a disability Kit and charge for it, or a pride kit and charge for it.

But, as you say, if kits are funding the improvements in base game then so be it. Let them bring the money in, because i think the work that is being done on base game is excellent and much needed. I just think the content of the kits needs re thinking- there is so much scope out there for what could be included in kits aside from cultural identities that could bring a lot of fun to the game :smile:
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited September 2021

k4FA4ns.gif

I too love Bust The Dust, and hope the backlash they got doesn’t mean the end of gameplay kits forever. I have all of the previous kits and feel I did get good value for money with the exception of BTD not working for Off The Grid lots. I for one really enjoy the kits.
    I do think the complaints about Busted Dust (what I call it 😂) has meant a halt in gameplay kits.

I was really surprised that only five hoovers were made. I would’ve liked a closet that you put them away in. Plus a broom option so off the grid was available from the get go without having a tweak a Hoover.
    The dust bunnies are too weird for me and this spoils the realism of doing a chore.

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited September 2021
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    Simmingal wrote: »

yeah...same...
    and its spooky season soon, shouldnt we get at least one dark kit?
    I mean, I like the mombai inspired cas but still...where is my niche stuff? gothic, punk/rock, sci-fi, fantasy?
    We better get an occult pack soon if kits dont fill the void.

yeah and like it doesn't even need to be occult per say we could have like gothic lolita style kit or something for example

like sure its not occult but itd still look lit on my sweet batbabies and magically inclined

and i also don't really see them ever doing lolita stuff in bigger pack nor do i expect them to :sweat_smile:
    so like its perfect example of "this could be done in a cas kit" to me

or obviously as that is not everyones cup of tea we could still have things like fantasy hairs or extraordinary makeup or fantastical accessories or clothes/jewellery etc inspired by space stuff like stars, moon, sun...

not to even start with what build kits could do

so much in the realm of this would work for occult play and realism play alike

but no its just realism realism more realism

i like cultural too but it just really doesn't hit the niche for me

it doesn't feel like its different content to what we have, well maybe the moroccan one and this street one are somewhat different but still

basically what i mean is:

if we must have kits then use those to add in the content you couldn't possibly do as side thing to another pack or justify spending too much of pack resources to make when making a pack

such as strange fashions or odd decor styles or random small gameplay items that just fit nowhere perfectly but would be fun
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free