Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would you rate your own cooking skills?

2...Next

Comments

• EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,915 Member
    Love cooking, in game and irl :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I do pretty well in the kitchen and I am a foodie. I have been thinking of taking real cooking classes. I don’t want to be a chef. I just want to be able to throw amazing dinner parties with my husband.
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I made a nice cookie recipe once, but beyond that, all I make is spaghetti, toast, and eggs.
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    + Gourmet Level 10

But that's only according to the Sims 4 skewed Recipe list. Did the person who created the unlocks even know how to boil water? I've been cooking most of this including Grand Meals since high school. Baby brother loved my pancake people & everyone likes my ambrosia. But I'm a little challenged on an outdoor grill & never poached an egg, made dough (that wasn't cookie) or fresh pasta.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    edited September 2021
    6 for cooking. 8 or 9 for baking. 😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    I can get pretty creative with spices and whatever's in the fridge... We never have a boring dinner! :lol:
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2021
    6-9 going off of Sims skill recipes and what those recipes are. Example: Chicken Stir Fry (skill lvl 9) I've made it before and plan on making it again soon but it's not traditional... Mostly because I have a very picky husband. :D
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MissLyn2408MissLyn2408 Posts: 38 Member
    I cook and bake perfectly by recipe (lots of raves of best food), and for a tiny bit of time I finally gained the ability to create food creatively, and it tasted pretty good. However, now I only cook creatively and everything tastes absolutely terrible. I'm just cooking the wrong things. My curries and soups have the wrong spices and my stir fries lack favor and have too much oil. Repeated mistakes. Boo
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I'm an ok cook but I still have a lot to learn. I'm good enough that my family doesn't complain most of the time, but I'm not ready to run a restaurant. Most of everything I know is self-taught. Lots of trial and error.

My baking skill though, that's another story. I'm a terrible baker. Even if I follow a recipe word for word, I still mess something up. My husband is the baker in our household.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    My husband is allergic to a long list of things, so I had to learn to cook mostly from scratch. We also eat vegetarian several times a week, so I've learned lots of recipes from all over the place to keep us from getting bored (my husband is allergic to a lot of meat substitutes). And I keep my own starter and make my own bread. And cakes, cookies.

I'm not a pro for sure, but I think I cook pretty well after all these years.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited October 2021
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    My husband is allergic to a long list of things, so I had to learn to cook mostly from scratch. We also eat vegetarian several times a week, so I've learned lots of recipes from all over the place to keep us from getting bored (my husband is allergic to a lot of meat substitutes). And I keep my own starter and make my own bread. And cakes, cookies.

I'm not a pro for sure, but I think I cook pretty well after all these years.

Tell him he's not the only one and I do sympathize.

Post edited by Nushnushganay on
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    @Nushnushganay What can you eat then? Can you eat bland oatmeal porridge (just oatmeal and water) and chicken drumstick (just chicken drumstick and a pinch of salt)?

How about rice porridge?

Or are you allergic to both rice and oatmeal?
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    edited October 2021
    @Nushnushganay What can you eat then? Can you eat bland oatmeal porridge (just oatmeal and water) and chicken drumstick (just chicken drumstick and a pinch of salt)?

How about rice porridge?

Or are you allergic to both rice and oatmeal?

PMing you to continue the discussion which would be boring to people who don't deal with long lists of foods they can't eat, and also to ask what your hubs is allergic to as well. Maybe we can trade notes on how to make certain dishes around long lists of "Can'ts"?

Post edited by Nushnushganay on
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Definitely at level 10 when I'm having a good dream.

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Tell him he's not the only one and I do sympathize.
    As for cooking, being allergic to so many foods has really taken the joy out of it (started getting food allergies well into adulthood, not as a kid), but I've been cooking seriously since my teens, and baking, and can make just about anything. Which is good, as you noted, because then one can come up with alternative types of things. I'm allergic to a lot of plant-based meat substitutes also: all the newer ones that aren't soy, have things like coconut oil, mushrooms, or cornstarch in them.

Tell your hubs I'm sorry. I know how much it blows.

I'll pass that along. I have no allergies at all, so he's always happy to commiserate with someone. Lol.
    He developed his in adulthood too. A few years into our marriage he just suddenly started randomly getting rashes, hives, and asthma attacks. It really does change the way you do everything.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I guess I'm ok.

I'm rather perplexed by people who reach adulthood, but can't cook a decent amount of basic meals from scratch. And I count a roast as a basic meal.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    edited September 2021
    @Movotti
    And I count a roast as a basic meal.

I would add that different societies around the world would have different cooking techniques, and while roasting may be common in the West, the cooking equipment used to do roasting (the conventional oven) would be uncommon in, say, China. Currently as of now, kitchens in China and South Korea (and likely North Korea as well) don't have conventional ovens by default. Conventional ovens can be installed separately, as per the owner's request. And people don't usually bake or roast stuff in ovens.

Rather, a basic meal recipe in those countries would be something easy like Chinese steamed egg or Korean steamed egg (not the same actually, different technique), or a stir-fried dish, and rice (as well as one-pot rice recipes) is something that can be done in a rice cooker.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @waterywatermelon
    Good point!
    In the west, roasting and baking are common, but I'd forgotten about most of the rest of the world.

One pot meals are something that everyone should be able to make. They're pretty universal, soups, stews, curries, and probably hundreds of other names for a bunch of stuff cooked with water, or a sauce, in a single pot. I love one pot meals.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited September 2021
    Around 6? My food is pretty darn good when I actually make it. But the thing is I rarely make anything cook worthy because 1 I'm vegetarian and 2 I fast for 24hr or more every single day with a 2 or 3 hour feeding window. My dad does the same. So when I break fast I'm not standing in the kitchen for 3 hours cooking an elaborate meal my stomach can't hold anyway. So usually I may end up eating something like smoothie protein fruit shake, vegetables, vitamins and a bonus snack.
    I just can't fit in elaborate fancy cooking. Nor have the desire to do so.

But I have made many delicious recipes in the past and I love trying to make vegetarian meals from different countries and seeing how authentically I can capture the taste. 🙂
    Potatoe quesadillas are one my favorites yummy!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • AntiquaAntiqua Posts: 106 Member
    I can cook but often don't really bother
    How is the Haas family doing? Check out their struggles (and rules they have to follow) in this LP.
    And the Haas Family Tree, with some spoilers for the later chapters is made in the Plum Tree App.
    I said 7. I can cook pretty good, even a lot of Japanese, Chinese, and other ethnic dishes. I bake a lot, and I started canning last year. But I'm vegetarian and haven't got a clue about cooking meat.
  • elinnnstarelinnnstar Posts: 36 Member
    I always mess up something, but it's still edible tho