Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer download from the gallery a house...?

Comments

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Completely furnished.
    selected this but so often regret it.

So often too much cluttered.

I know it makes the house look as lived in, but really clutter after clutter..

Yes, it's as if builders are trying to outdo each other and include items from as many packs as possible. And then there's MOO.

I'm happy with the lots I have but I'd really like to download a shell and furnish it with premade rooms. Because nearly all the premade lots were custom-made for premade sims.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,956 Member
    edited September 2021
    Completely empty (with landscaping).
    As I build quite a lot i don't really download from gallery

but in theory i would take shell with pretty landscaping because I'm not very good at landscaping part

and i find that many times when people do interiors its just too complicated for me like the layout feels weird or theres simply too much stuff in the house

which tbh is also why I'm really not feeling the gamechanger builds from recent packs and i would have rather had the half empty and slightly off maxis ones to edit :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    I choose Other, which sadly wasn't an option. I generally build my own lots, but every now and again, when I'm in a bit of a hurry or not feeling terribly inspired I will scour through the Gallery. I came across a house I liked, landscaping and all, but found it was a shell. That was an interesting twist for me. I had a blast adding a wall or two where I felt it was warranted and competing it to my liking.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Completely furnished.
    selected this but so often regret it.

So often too much cluttered.

I know it makes the house look as lived in, but really clutter after clutter..

I'll download and place a lot fully furnished, then edit as needed -- if it's a whole lot of editing (or if the lot costs too much for my Sims and I don't want to freerealestate them) I'll place it unfurnished then fill it in as I go along (collectibles, Sim-made paintings, etc.).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • CaitxcatCaitxcat Posts: 680 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I am not a good builder nor do I enjoy building also not a super big fan of furnishing an entire house so I rely very heavily on the gallery. So glad in this edition I can just access the gallery online in the game instead of how I use to have to do it in sims 2 and 3 which was go on the site.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited September 2021
    Completely furnished.
    I'm going to say completely furnished so I can see what the creator's idea was for each room. If the floor-plan is decent or it can be easily improved, then I place the lot again unfurnished and then I take it apart.

I notice that a lot of builders don't use grid lines when they place objects so things like kitchen counters and side tables are slightly off. I also find that most builders use "MoveObjects" to place food bowls for pets, high chairs for toddlers, and a plethora of potted plants. I've also noticed a trend with bedrooms that are too narrow but the builder has squeezed in nightstands and dressers. Another thing that seems to be a common feature of Gallery lots is a total lack of skilling objects.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Completely furnished.
    Both of the top two, mainly I download fully made and when I'm playing I'll strip them to the basics (cheapest bed, appliances, etc) and then upgrade so my sims have something to work towards, but all the time I'll download fully furnished homes for the town
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I mostly download starter homes that usually barely have an clutter or elaborate lots that are only there to fill an empty lot.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Completely empty (shell only).
    I am not creative enough to build something from scratch but I love to decorate. Sometimes it is nice to see how the lot could be furnished/landscaped depending on the layout for a little inspiration.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I download completely furnished lots, because I prefer playing than building. I usually look for lots that were built to fill a specific lot in each neighborhood; I like my neighborhoods to have some cohesion in building styles.
  • MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    I haven't voted yet, because the poll has inspired me to try something new. I've only put completed houses into my game so far, and I've had some difficulty finding houses that are just what I want/need. I'll think, "I need a house for a single Mom with a Teen son and a Child daughter." I'll find a house that seems perfect, and it will be decorated for twin Toddlers and a Teen daughter.

I think I'm going to try decorating and landscaping a shell, or completely stripping a completed house to its shell and re-creating it for a favorite Sim household.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • RamblineRoseRamblineRose Posts: 814 Member
    Completely empty (with landscaping).
    I like to build, but when I download I like to just download the shell with some landscaping. I think that is a great way to improve my building, decorating, and landscaping skills.
  • MadIrisMadIris Posts: 594 Member
    Completely furnished.
    Love downloading from the gallery because I still can't build! 😆
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I think it depends on how you play. Like for me, I set up the whole world and then play in it. Plus I play rotationally so I spend a lot of time going through families. When I'm in setup mode, I tend to prefer fully furnished, decorated, and landscaped homes and community lots. But, if everything is already set up and I'm just looking to replace a lot and don't feel like building myself, then I definitely don't care if it's furnished because I like to personalize the home to my sims. I guess I would like for the main areas to be furnished and the bedrooms left empty.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Completely empty (shell only).
    Since I adapt the lot to a particular Sim I prefer an empty shell
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I mostly download fully furnished but I like shells and to make my own interior too.
  • BlackkatnessBlackkatness Posts: 63 Member
    Completely furnished.
    Fully furnished. Then I go in and tweak it a bit.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Completely furnished.
    Completely furnished but not cluttered. I'm not great at placement so like to see where people place furniture and things. I usually spend a ton of time decluttering.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I choose completely furnished, I suck at building, and I hate decorating. With a fully furnished house, I can see the layout, and make changes if I need to for my families.
    I try not to use each house I download more than twice, so I can have a different layout. Also, I have downloaded nice fully furnished stores and stuff as well.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Completely furnished.

My first preference is to build my own lots.
    When I’m into a story however and I suddenly realize that a specific lot is needed ASAP I’d fly over to Gallery Land and look for said lot.

It needs to be completely furnished otherwise there is no point in me downloading it. Builds that I do download are items like….floating tropical markets or gigantic stone castles. They’re often the worst offenders when it comes to MOO nonsense and Routing issues, so I usually work myself through a maniacal sledgehammer session first until I’m either:
    1. left with what I want from it and can happily continue with the story as though nothing happened.
    2. left with nothing at all. In that case I’d close my eyes for a moment, switch off my machine, step out of my office, roar and cry into the nearest cushion, walk out the front door and go visit the park.

or

3. 3 doesn’t exist yet.
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I go way back with the sims and in the early days I loved to control all of the design aspects of a house and I'd built quite a few of my own as well as heavily modify existing. Now I prefer to download prebuilts that are full furnished.
  • EteyraEteyra Posts: 26 Member
    Completely furnished.
    I like to decorate, but I'm really bad in building mode. My houses always look like cubes or rectangles. Inside is not much better. So I like to have a complete furnished house to have an idea of how the rooms can be used for, and I take it up from there.
  • VeganisinizVeganisiniz Posts: 51 Member
    I don't download from the gallery because I prefer to build my own stuff.

The one time I tried downloading something, I kept choosing completely non-functional houses that obviously hadn't been play tested for whether sims could use or access anything. (I understand as someone who extensively uses MOO, but I also have good sense of what is usable and what isn't, in addition to making sure to thoroughly play test.)
  • JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,965 Member
    Only kitchen and bathroom fixtures.
    I am in the minority here
  • JunkyPoemJunkyPoem Posts: 135 Member
    edited September 2021
    Completely furnished.
    Love the creators vision and their lots are very beautiful. However, most lack flow & are not fully functional for simming. Pathways are often obstructed, items are not accessible & gameplay lag the longer I play. Especially on a 30x20 or smaller. Interior spaces are way too small & crammed with too much clutter.

As a vanilla player, unfortunately all bb.moveobjects deco, most clutter, half of landscaping & all kids stuff is removed. Don't really have many kids in game. Rooms are enlarged & restructured with either a master bath, closet, study or gym. Usually need to add either a servant's quarter, laundry, poker room, pool house or greenhouse.

Having all the packs (not batuu), usually finds me, replacing most build/buy, adding appliances and a non base game activity in each room. Love having an extra dishwasher in the BBQ area or at the bar, small fridge or globe bar in the study, ping-pong or horseshoes in the backyard.

Occasionally, I leave the lot mostly alone only reducing lot items, since it does create a beautiful neighborhood aesthetic.