Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is your playstyle more like sandbox or simulation?

Comments

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I play more often sandbox style, and id like the game to be designed for sandbox
    I play more sandbox style, personally. And while I don't mind if the game throws a curve ball once in awhile, I don't like it targeting my favorite Sim for death, as it seemingly did at one time.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    I play more often sandbox style, and id like the game to be designed for sandbox
    CK213 wrote: »
    I think my perspective is slightly different.
    I want a simulation to create a living world for all the NPCs.

I want a sandbox to to provide all the sandbox tools to make story scenarios for my sims that take advantage of situations created by the simulation. A sandbox without the simulation is just a doll house.

Yes, exactly
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I'd say I'm a bit of both. I'm a storyteller, and the most important thing for me is to have control over my story and characters. I love managing the day to day tasks of my sims and dealing with any challenge that arises, but in the end, I want to decide how my story goes.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited September 2021
    Place yourself:

unbenanntupjjx.png

I love challenges, but also play out scriped stories, so I'm probably closer to the middle than the far right of Dollhouse/Challenge axis. But definitely near the maximum of the Control Vs. Watch axis.
  • xMyrthexMyrthe Posts: 56 Member
    I play more often simulation style and Id like the game to be designed for simulation
    This was a really difficult decision! I feel like I enjoy both...

I don't use any gameplay cheats though so I picked simulation style. I like my sims to 'work' for their achievements, I always have a specific goal in mind that I try to work to. And I enjoy it if the game throws a curveball at me (although TS4 doesn't do that a lot).
    But I also enjoy manipulating the world around me, creating NPC families and placing them in homes, cheating their stats and money to fit the backstory I had in mind. When playing with my family. I use the clubs to 'cheat' the surrounding sims to act a certain way. So I don't really know, it depends on which sim I'm playing with and I'm happy that this game gives us the option to do both!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    81 answers and 41 for simulation and 40 for sandbox. I see this a pretty even split between the community. Do you (anyone reading) feel like Sims 4 provides an equal amount of playstyle and tools to play with both styles?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited September 2021
    81 answers and 41 for simulation and 40 for sandbox. I see this a pretty even split between the community. Do you (anyone reading) feel like Sims 4 provides an equal amount of playstyle and tools to play with both styles?

Interesting question. When I first found my preferred way of playing this game (late 2019 or early 2020) I'd have said that there was probably a roughly equal balance. But as more and more updates have come the pendulum has been slowly swinging (from my perspective) toward the appearance of catering more to those who prefer a "gamier game" than I personally want from this one. If it keeps going that way I'll likely end up giving up and moving on to other things along with my other current pastimes (some of which are some very "gamey games" that I already love).
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    edited September 2021
    I play more often simulation style and Id like the game to be designed for simulation
    @StrawberryYogurt I always enjoy new difficulties, challenges, limitations and obstacles to overcome. I feel like in general it's good to be able to opt in or opt out of the more difficult/intrusive challenges in some way (or at least cheat out of them), so that they don't get in the way of sandbox-oriented players.

I like new traits that affect autonomy and interactions among sims, and new tweaks given to existing traits. Anything that makes different sims act differently and want different things, I love. I appreciate what's already in the game-- my sims do not all act the same as I use a wide variety of traits, for example I love my Loner and Outgoing sims who are married to one another, and I roll with the effects of negative sentiments instead of cheating them out or modding them out or quitting without saving.

I like lot challenges like simple living. Etc. The errands in Henford-on-Bagley are interesting and it would be cool to see more quest-type challenges like that.

• Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    It is really hard to pick one. Because for me it is a dead split.
    With my sims I want simulation and challenges. I like to have to manage them, but I want the game to deliver unexpected scenarios and difficulties too. Though I don't care for "mission based stories" (like the Strangerville thing etc.).
    BUT
    When it comes to the world my sims live in I want Sandbox ALL THE WAY! I want to control the whole world, how it looks, what buildings are in it, who lives in it, how it functions, EVERYTHING! lol
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Definitely simulation. I'm not a storyteller at all and get bored when I don't have enough direction from the game
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited September 2021
    Sandbox.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member
    I use mods to make it even more sandbox-like than it officially is.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 322 Member
    I feel like my play style is hovering right in the middle of these two. I play a heavily modded game because I like having a lot of control and options for my sims to play out whatever the game throws at them. When I create sims, I usually have a rough idea of what I want their story to be. I also tend to randomize traits and likes to see where the game goes. I guess in the end my “goal” is to have a save full of unique families whose lives intertwine and have interesting relationships with each other. If I could play a save to the point where I have a dozen families five generations deep, I’d consider that a successful game for me.
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,324 Member

It's an astonishingly even split. :open_mouth: This may explain why we (simmers in general) end up having so many disagreements about what we want to see in the game. I think the developers try to cater to both crowds, but that's got to be difficult. Wanting more surprises and challenges vs wanting more direct control kind of run counter to each other.

This is a big reason why I use so many mods. I don't really want a game. I want a creative studio for storytelling. But I know not everyone does, so I take what I can get and then tweak it myself with custom stuff. :smile:
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'm more sandbox but I like to optionally play simulations as well. I'm fine with a split focus that allows for flexible play. What I don't want is to be forced to play like other players. Even if I just want a sim to play the guitar all day and nothing else, I want it to be my sandbox to do that. In reality, I do a lot of different things.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I'm both. I like sandbox, but I like the gameplay in simulation as in simulating all the little details and consequences of life more than role playing style of building a set for a show and making quests for it which I don't find very simulation like but more MMO style.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Since I don’t have a story I want to play out, nor any particulars to impose on my sims, I find it fun to play how the game leads me. Bienchen’s Whim Overhaul mod is crucial to me because it offers more direction on what my sims might want to do. Another mod brings attraction into relationships and makes them much more interesting. So the life simulation is what I’m after, but... I would not play a life simulation that wasn’t a sandbox. These goals have to be optional, and they are. The environment needs to allow me some control and offer a range of options. And it does, to the extent that I need.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Place yourself:

I placed myself.

PLACE-MYSELF-CPTN.jpg

I hope it's clear enough?

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited September 2021
    Definitely leaning towards simulation. I absolutely never use any kind of money or career cheats for example. Despite this, this game is WAY too easy compared to earlier games and the amount of money you earn is stupidly high. To the point of not having all items for free in the game is almost pointless.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I only play "Sand Box" mode when I am setting up a game I want to play. I establish the households, community lots, Lot Traits, Challenges, NAP's, Eco Footprint, Clubs, Holidays, etc. once I do all that I let the simulation take over and see how my game plays out. It's always fun to see how different set ups can influence the gameplay.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 yes, you contain multitudes, nicely done

• PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I’m a huge control freak when it comes to my Sims so I definitely will cheat to control things especially when it’s part of my story for them.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Definitely simulation by your description. If you control everything, there isn’t any challenge, and therefore no game.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • GardeningSimmerGardeningSimmer Posts: 41 Member
    I play the simulation style! I like to go with the aspirations and follow what the game tells me to do.
  • 100LilDreams100LilDreams Posts: 34 Member
    i play both ways but i guess more simulation side, like i'll do what the game wants me to do but i'll also do it my way, if i feel things are going too smooth then i'll stir it up a little