Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Pack Effect in Other Worlds Question

Say you start a new save (with NAPs turned off), and then set your new household down in Oasis Spring to play because you don't want to focus on the Eco pack this time around. How intrusive is the Eco pack if you don't want to play it sometimes? Does the trial game give you the real experience of the impact of the Eco pack across the other worlds outside of Evergreen Harbor?

Who are the Eco NPC's you like or dislike the most? So far, I find Bess Sterling and Knox Greenberg kind of annoying.

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I find it naturally unobtrusive since Eco scores tend to gravitate towards neutral. Everything starts there unless it is the dedicated Eco neighborhoods. Some actions do matter, but it mostly comes down to lot traits and builds. Unless you go out of your way, I doubt the eco score will have much of an impact based on my experience.

I do tend to interact with the BB and mechanics of Eco quite a bit, though, even if I am not messing with the eco score itself so it can be impactful without eco states changing.

I would say the trial does, but this is a complete presumption on my part since I have had Eco since launch and have never participated in a Sims 4 trial version.

Eh. I am pretty neutral here. I interact with Bess a lot more since I am not always playing in that world. I'd say I've seen Knox the least, though he will greet you if you live in Eco's world. I have seen the Master Crafter randomly in other worlds, but it has never been so frequent as to bother me. Rather than really show up, Bess calls me. I actually like her dialogue/event trees. For one, I typically invest when she asks. Sometimes I get repaid promptly. Another, I called her out after several subsequent investments and she paid me back plus interest. Some people do not like her calls, though.

I ended liking Eco a fair bit, despite the launch issues which had me suffer.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Nothing much to add here except that the only Eco Lifestyle pre-mades that I can stand at all are Yasemin Tinker and Jeb Harris. I personally delete all the rest. I don't actually need all the "special" (Eco-related) NPCs in my game, anyway; if a situation should arise where I do need one, the game will just generate a new one, so no big deal.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
    Oh, I didn't really mention it since you said you are turning NAPs off, but there are three choices there. I have chosen to turn off NPC voting. My big issue with NAPs is that my random pixel people neighbors can RNG themselves into affecting my neighborhood, but if I up and decide to have a NAP active why not, right?

With NPC voting off you get the NAP voting alerts and options, but no NAPs will become active without your initiative as the player. (There will be a pop up at the end of voting saying there is a winner, but unless it was a winner you orchestrated there is no actual effect.) I prefer to keep it that way for when I have the random whim to do something with NAPs, but I can see some people finding the UI popups intrusive.
  • foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    edited September 2021
    I wondered if there are piles of rubbish in other worlds if they are neutral? Because that would be a massive red flag for me - I hate the piles of rubbish in Eco living that I cant pick up (I dont understand why that wasn't a thing to pick up the trash?????) and I would not want it at all in any of the other worlds I have - that would put me off the game full stop
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    foxybilly wrote: »
    I wondered if there are piles of rubbish in other worlds if they are neutral? Because that would be a massive red flag for me - I hate the piles of rubbish in Eco living that I cant pick up (I dont understand why that wasn't a thing to pick up the trash?????) and I would not want it at all in any of the other worlds I have - that would put me off the game full stop

No, the trash is only in Evergreen Harbor.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I love Knox. He is one of the very few premades I actually play.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited September 2021
    Unobtrusive. The only times you'll notice it are:
    - NPC visitation events (sims you know or live nearby will ask if they can come in to give you something or if you need something fixed/cleaned).
    - Calls regarding inheritance, money scams, and false story progression (marriage, having kids, and confessions of feelings).

Otherwise, build items affect eco trajectory, as well as flammability and water resistance.

Everything else is something you have to seek out or interact with.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited September 2021
    The only place where I have had to act to prevent the eco footprint from going really bad is the University of Britechester. There are so many chimneys in the campus of Ubrite that if you play there for a long time it gets bad. Anyhow it's easy to get back to neutral by placing some solar panels and wind turbines on top of the campus buildings.

The only Eco NPC I really like is the grandmother of the Harris family... Francine Spencer. I moved her into her own little apartment and she is part of an old ladies club that performs seance. I also kind of like Olive Tinker and Tina Tinker is tolerable, but somehow I just couldn't stand Yasemin Tinker :sweat_smile: She's no longer there.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited September 2021
    Catzilla wrote: »
    How intrusive is the Eco pack if you don't want to play it sometimes? Does the trial game give you the real experience of the impact of the Eco pack across the other worlds outside of Evergreen Harbor?

I don't know about the trial game, but it is pretty intrusive as every world has NAP. You can not avoid NAP completely, but only avoid changes beyond your control. I even had to add a household to Magnolia Promenade to be able to change the NAP there.

I am pretty sure my Oasis Springs had Power Conservation on a tv premiere day recently, meaning a sim of mine had to go elsewhere to watch the episode.
    12_09_16.png

Edit: It was probably Willow Creek rather than Oasis Springs, but perhaps you get the picture anyway.
    Post edited by BoergeAarg61 on
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Thanks for all your responses. I've only had time to play with the trial a little bit and hadn't had a chance to really explore. I tried out a household in Evergreen harbor and one in Oasis Springs to see how it played in and out of the pack world. I didn't encounter an issue with the pollution affecting any of the worlds, probably because I hadn't played long enough but I did find the NAPs are super intrusive even if you've turned them off. I turned them off and they were still happening and in effect anyway. Shift Click and MCCC really need a cheat to turn them off completely, everywhere.

My main impressions are that this pack is really well done and well thought out and there's a lot to it. For me personally, Eco Lifestyle isn't really a theme that offers that escape from the real world 'issues' that I want and instead brings 'RL Issues' into my fun and relaxation time. I think I would have preferred that Eco Lifestyle had been designed to stay more contained in its own pack world and I would definitely prefer that NAPs default setting was Off everywhere outside of Evergreen Harbor and that the player could turn them off completely if desired.

To buy Eco or Not? I loved that they've offered a free trial of Eco Lifestyle so I could give it a try, I wish I'd had more time to take better advantage of the opportunity but RL got in my way. There are a lot of things that are interesting and fun about this pack and some that aren't my cup of tea so I'm still not sure if I want to add it to my game permanently or not.
    May I ask how they are still happening? Because they are not in my game.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    May I ask how they are still happening? Because they are not in my game.

I dunno but they were still active when visiting other neighborhoods. Whatever the first one that was voted in before you managed to turn them off was in effect and stays in effect even after you turn them off and you can't remove them in other neighborhoods either.
    Okay, once they are already in place you do have to specifically repeal them. There are cheats to do it, and I do not know if Sims can still get saved with NAP traits active, but if you cheat repeal the NAP trait affecting them while they visit your lot you can remove it.

My options are set so the first NAP is never set on its own.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I start every save with turning off NPC-voting and haven’t seen anything off it my saves. There are a few NAP’s that I really like that I add as needed.

For my part I really like adding the industrial state to a few specific neighborhoods. It makes the worlds feel more individual. Since most of the lots that I play tend to gravitate towards the green state slowly over time I have turned to CC. With Sims 4 Studio it is easy to add a negative environmental score as a gameplay effect for wallpaper CC and floor CC. It made playing lots and areas that I wanted to be industrial much more enjoyable.

For me this has been a really good pack.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Eco Lifestyle has been a favorite of mine since its release. Almost everyone in my games recycle and perform pack related tasks. My favorite aspiration is the maker and also the freelance career of maker. The NAPS never bother me as I go into the neighborhoods where my sims live and cheat the naps I want, so every time the voting comes around, I ignore them as I already have them set. Works for me! :D
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • I've enjoyed Eco Lifestyle. The NAP system was a huge swing-and-a-miss in terms of being a lot more annoying than fun, but I like having green neighborhoods with sustainable energy generation and off-the-grid-style living, especially since in the real world that'll never happen thanks to governments and business acting like the villains on Captain Planet. It's nice to see a place where a Green New Deal-style approach to climate change actually does something, even if that place has to live inside my computer.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    I've enjoyed Eco Lifestyle. The NAP system was a huge swing-and-a-miss in terms of being a lot more annoying than fun, but I like having green neighborhoods with sustainable energy generation and off-the-grid-style living, especially since in the real world that'll never happen thanks to governments and business acting like the villains on Captain Planet. It's nice to see a place where a Green New Deal-style approach to climate change actually does something, even if that place has to live inside my computer.

the houses in my neighbourhood all have solar panels, we have loads of wind turbines here too and the beaches have them. They are making it law for only electric cars to be sold for 2030, so it is heading the right direction.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2021
    I've had to turn off the eco gameplay because the special lighting cause by having a green eco footprint lags my game. :(
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    When the player sets the settings for NAPs they do not become active in any neighborhoods without the player's vote.

Solar Panels, Wind Turbines, Dew Collectors, and certain Lot Traits are extremely helpful with Bill Management. Many of the mentioned build items will tip a neighborhood into the green area.

Eco Living changes the way you build. Fire Resistance, Water Resistance, Industrial Foot Print, and Green Footprint can make a difference.

NAPs are broken. They've had issues since launch. Some NAPs are extremely nice if you want them, and they influence NPC behaviors.

They did make a change to NAPs. In the beginning, your sim was subject to the effects of NAPs the moment they entered a neighborhood and remained under their influence. Now, sims are only influenced by the NAPs active in the Neighborhood they live in.