Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Censored language indicator

2...Next

Comments

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    edited May 2021
    (accidental quote--deleted)
    wJbomAo.png
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Cororon wrote: »
    I agree! If the words that would otherwise be censored would be highlighted while you're writing then you'll have a chance to change your wording before posting. Sometimes innocent words are censored on forums because there are letters that form a "bad" word inside normal words or names, and then they are censored by mistake. :smile:

This. Microsoft word 365 even has a feature that if you type certain words you get a pop up that says something along the lines of: "This word may be offensive to some readers. Here is the list of words".
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited September 2021
    "Max has the brain capacity of a turkey baster and his excremental musings are the stomach-churning equivalent of masticating a feast of industrial waste." My apologies in advance to any member with the name of Max. This is just an example.

See what I did there? Escaped the censor entirely.

1. you can insult someone without using lowbrow foul language.
    2. nothing can be done about someone who has the capacity to insult someone with terminology that requires a dictionary to understand because it works around the censor.
    3. if you're going to censor everything that is "foul language" and "insulting" you might as well open the dictionary and start censoring everything.

That's my $0.0165 cents (35% taken off by PST and GST. I'm Canadian).

I'll leave you with a quote by the esteemed Stephen Fry.

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

"Happy Simming".
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

But this website is for the English language. If someone is new or unfamiliar with the English language, why should the website have to adapt to them? Shouldn't they adapt to the website? Context is important and if you struggle with understanding context related to common and polite English allowable for teens, how is that anyone else's responsibility but your own?

Indeed, context is important. So, you'll need to specify which version of English you're talking about.
    There are words that are appropriate in English, as spoken by the English (and also by Australians, and New Zealanders), that is considered inappropriate by Americans, and vice versa.

So it would be useful to know which words are deemed inappropriate on this site.

eg: Thongs vs Fanny
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif