Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you like to do weddings in your game?

Title says it all. How do you do your weddings? Do you host an actual event and invite a bunch of guests or do your sims just elope? Where do you like to have your sims get married? Do you give them wedding rings on all of their outfits after? Do any of your sims change their last names? I love weddings so I was curious how others like to play them.

For me, a lot it depends on the sim. A lot of the time I don't feel like hosting an actual event because those always go wrong so my sims end up eloping a lot. But, sometimes I will host an actual event, especially if they have a lot of family and friends to invite or I just feel like having a big wedding. As for location, it varies, but if the weather is nice I like to either go to Sulani or a park. I also have a courthouse wedding venue in my save that's great for my sims who don't want anything fancy. I also have sims get married at the Romance Festival a lot. After the wedding, I always give my sims wedding rings on all of their outfits except for sleep and athletic. And as for last names, I depends on the sim. I have some sims whose last names I want to keep, and others I don't mind changing. A lot of my sims do end up changing their names or hyphenating.

Comments

• LumigensLumigens Posts: 41 Member
    I always try to host an event, because it gives my sims something to do and I just like seeing them do the ceremony and then having a party with their friends and family after. I pick the location based on their personalities and financial situation. My kinda diva celebrity sim had a lavish beach wedding in Sulani, and my more humble and middle class Windenburg couple chose a simple wedding location in their city.

I don’t change their last names because I personally wouldn’t take someone elses last name if I ever got married in real life.
  • My sims have the same attitude toward marriage that I do. I quote my mother: "Married is a tax status." I've got a few single moms who find an NPC dude who looks like he's got decent genes and let him "try for baby" with them.

At the same time, though, some of my clans are downright medieval in "legitimizing" their children; the Markov clan, for example, has zero children out of wedlock. The same is true of the Lobos, the Lembecks, the Garamondes, and other characters with significant story arcs. They're kind of the nobility of my simworld.

As for women taking their husbands' names, it happens the majority of the time, but when I've got a woman who had a significant and highly notable life before she got married, she'll keep her own name, as when Jessie Charbonneau married Super Dave Lembeck and kept her own surname. Their kid, however, was Jonathan Lembeck. No hyphenation.

I don't throw wedding parties. "Elope immediately" makes everything "legal" and saves me the annoyance of dealing with NPCs running about.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,461 Member
    I don’t really do weddings in my game.
    If a story demands that my sims get married I’d get them to elope right there on the spot and be done with it. 😅

Weddings are a piece of work but I do get why folks like them and why they would be popular in The Sims.
  • StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    Weddings in the Sims always remind me of those circus performers who try to keep about 12 plates spinning at the same time. Very hard to pull off successfully, but worth it if you can manage it.
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    It depends on the Sim. For my elf outcast, for example, she eloped because she doesn't understand the customs of the Sim world. But for almost everyone else, I've always planned a big wedding and invited as many guests as possible. Then there's a handful of times that I've had double weddings--a planned wedding for one couple and a second that elope.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I wish we had bachelor parties
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,855 Member
    I love celebrations in the game. Weddings, birthday parties, dinner parties. I have my sims throw all their parties at home. Including weddings. My sims have hosted a lot of parties but only one wedding. I was more stressed than when I planned my own wedding. 😄 It went well though.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I almost always hold a proper wedding event at a venue made specially for weddings. The elope option feels boring and underwhelming to me. I want my sims joining together to be a special occasion. I think I have had sims elope once or twice at the romance festival but only because there is a wedding arch there and it also looks pretty.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I keep it fairly simple, but usually use a wedding arch somewhere - either a permanent installation on a community lot, or placed temporarily on the grounds of a residence. I may or may not have guests, or a cake.

Z1UUrOX.png

Attire has ranged from tuxes to nude (Brodie and Grant believed a colorful legend that this was an island custom of Sulani, but natives Eloy and Kai wore actual ceremonial dress).

Kor6ZnP.png

Eligible venues are whichever I have that are vaguely religious, whether a restored Sulanese mara'e, a one-time Peteran abbey, or a Dai-Bendu kyber dojo in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.

hltFO7W.png

Kp7aEiq.png

9ck5PuX.png

• VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I haven't done a "proper" wedding in at least a couple of years. I never found that sort of thing particularly interesting (and more effort than it was worth). These days most often I just do the elope thing for the few in my saves that actually marry. I do occasionally add a sort of fake ceremony for the ones it would make sense to do so, though. I don't do wedding rings at all for most of them. A few get matching arm tattoos or maybe a matching-or-similar bracelet or something, but most don't get anything special in that way. Also, a few have hyphenated names for story purposes, but the majority keep their original surnames.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,869 Member
    edited September 2021
    Names- it depends on the situation and the characters. More conservative characters follow conservative gender roles. Other characters do what's right for them.
    I also have a slight bias in favor of the names of my sims and premades, and against randomly generated townie names. Randomly generated townies who marry into the family are a little less likely to keep their names or pass them on to their children. But some do, if it fits their story.
    I'm not really big on hyphenation because what do you do for the next generation, hyphenate again and again forever?

When Salim Benali and Tanvi Savalani got married and had a daughter Laila in my game, I almost gave Laila the surname Benalani :) But that family already has a child Sai Savalani (Tanvi's from before she married Salim) so it was only fair that Salim got to have a Benali offspring.
    I might have sims combine their surnames at some point in future, depending on the characters and the names.

I do like to make an occasion out of the weddings, even the simple ones; generally by the time two sims are getting married, they haven't seen as much of their family and friends lately, so the wedding is a chance for them to reconnect with those relationships, as well as introduce the new spouse to them.

I often don't bother with the goaled wedding event.

I don't usually bother/remember to add wedding rings in CAS, but it's a nice idea.

Some favorite wedding pictures in the spoiler
    Salim & Tanvi getting married at Myshuno Court, a replacement Myshuno Meadows that I built
    wedding.png

One of the hardest but most satisfying things about weddings has been getting everyone to eat the dinner at the same time. I consider it a win if they're at least eating at the same time even though they won't all be sitting down together. It is a big happy party anyway.
    wedding-dinner.png

Penny & Bess getting married at the same place- hardly anyone ever sits down to watch weddings, thank you to that one kiddo for confirming that I didn't place the benches wrong somehow
    wedding-only-child-sat.png

Legacy founder Ragamuffin Jones marrying Cameron Fletcher in the only ceremony they could afford (she started with 0 simoleons and got married in the second week)
    03-wedding-vows.png

Ragamuffin's grandson Valentín marrying Wolfgang Munch at the Municipal Muses museum
    wedding-joy.png

Ragamuffin's great-grandson Tamir marrying Madeleine Posey on impulse after their soccer club meeting (at the original Myshuno Meadows)-- this was a doomed marriage, but the wedding was sweet, note the soccer stink on them ;) They had an impromptu party with friends at home afterwards.
    soccer-will-you-love-me-even-though-i-smell.png
  • FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    I have a wedding venue in Newcrest that looks like a cute little chapel. Thanks to a mod, the guests do sit down and watch the wedding! They invite friends and family and have a blast. The ceremonies don't always go perfectly, but I revel in the chaos if it comes. I enjoy weddings in the sims, so 90% of my sims have a ceremony. Only if it fits the characters will they elope, i.e. a young hippie couple doing it on impulse.

The wife takes the husband's name. I'm old-fashioned.

After the ceremony, they both wear wedding rings with every outfit except swim. No one wants to lose their precious wedding ring in the pool or ocean. I have about 5 different very lovely female CC wedding sets to choose from as well as 2 male bands.

You didn't ask LOL but if they can afford it, and most can, they have a honeymoon. Usually to Sulani but occasionally WIndenburg if they're a legacy descendant with oodles of family money.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,954 Member
    edited September 2021
    Usually I like to pick scenic spot ..put them in nice clothes
    and just have them elope take some pictures etc

recall having several gothic elopements in forgotten hollow near the big tree

one couple near the woohoo waterfall in Sulani

my legacy sims eloped in Selvadorada
    there is lovely spots in the jungle too

and i did have some elopement during romance festival in san myshuno too which was lovely

as for actual weddings

san myshuno park I had lovely wedding for 2 guys long time ago... i would like to use it again

windenburg mansion
    for bobs wedding

self built henford church is fun venue too...
    Q2QMiUB.png
    Eell3X0.png
    (story coming so i won't elaborate too much :lol:
    oh dang i really better get to the actual story one day
    but I do really want to add wishing well there too... once i get the pack
    also they worship the mighty gnome instead of *add actual religion*)

and i did make beach venue too for sulani village once but it was cancelled due to bad weather :sweat_smile:
    rYQqbjq.png
    S2fLceO.png
    looks all nice in b/b tho
    SnNn0rr.png

as for names I just let game do whatever it does
    and rings... I tend to not add them unless sims have them on
    cause I'm just lazy like that and also cause i don't really care for rings myself :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • NightlyCoffeeNightlyCoffee Posts: 455 Member
    I love wedding ceremonies, and I always try to make them a memorable event for my sims. Most of the time, I prefer hosting the ceremony at venues but every now and then I'll host a smaller ceremony at home. I only ever elope if it's in character for my sims. The last wedding I had was for my legacy founder and his husband. They threw a large ceremony at a renovated Von Haunt Estate in Windenburg, then went on a honeymoon to Sulani.

ASMskAu.png
    My sims, Johnny and Emiliano, getting married in Windenburg.

fQy6wDq.png
    Cutting the cake and having the first slice is such a cute interaction.

0IOhZzn.png
    Weddings are a bit chaotic, but most events are when you have a lot of sims gathering. Still, I find them really fun.

As far as names go, I'm a bit traditional so usually the wife will take the husband's last name, but it honestly just depends on the character. I don't bother with rings mainly because I use CC eyelashes and they often conflict with each other.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    edited September 2021
    I am so very disappointed with the whole wedding stuff (and I love weddings). I had four siblings in Uni together. I had two of the brothers, oldest and third brother marry their brides by eloping. This they managed to do on the very same day. One at Chez Llama (eldest) and the other in the dorm, the day before their last day of the Term. I saved my Global Superstar's wedding for later. When I do throw a Wedding Event, I like to go all-out. The only sister among the siblings got married with Vulcan's High Counselor, presiding.
    Brianna Louise Cantrell marries Spock of the House of Talek Sen Dene:
    S0135GR.jpg
    FKpudWb.jpg
    1sJT7k7.jpg
    Kz2wDrp.jpg
    "It is Done!"
    HW9SoRL.jpg

Finally, and long in the coming, my Global Superstar marries his high school Sweetheart. They chose to do so at The Bluffs:
    1enemJP.jpg
    t9puODW.jpg
    MnhqtMA.jpg
    nFAfoh9.jpg
    RsKEPJQ.jpg
    reception:
    2PF0FvU.jpg
    Unfortunately, it started to rain.
    Kayleigh is near tears that it's raining on her wedding day, and her identical triplet sister plays Polly Anna, assuring her that at least the guests ate the cake before it got drenched.
    QwFlu3w.jpg
    To add insult to injury, one of Erik's Obsessed Fans, prone to removing his clothes, decides to take a shower in the rain — in front of everybody!
    1OQVPRf.jpg

Yeah, I'm beginning to hate weddings. I have noticed, of late however, that my female Sims are wearing their engagement rings after the ceremony! Also, I used to place wedding bands on my Sims, but you can't do that with formal wear. Why is that?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • LilyLuluLilyLulu Posts: 27 Member
    It depends on my story. I have a city hall venue for elopements. I will also sometimes have them just marry on the spot. But I do throw weddings. Whether or not they’re goal events depends on my mood. More often than not lately though I don’t use the goal event, but I do use the wedding event. I preset it on the calendar and then I have the bride and groom travel together to the venue sometimes with other family to set it up. We put up decorations, I almost always add the buffet tables from Luxury Party stuff, because the caterers are so unreliable. I add a bar, and the fountain that serves punch, and chocolate. I add a table for the cake. I have a bakery in Magnolia Promenade where they can buy an excellent quality wedding cake to bring with them because again the caterers, and there’s a bridal boutique and a salon now since the Spa Day update for the bride and groom and co. to get some pampering to settle the pre-wedding jitters. I don’t get too fussed about whether guests sit or not I just kind of go with the flow once it starts. I do make sur I select marry _____ right away though because if you don’t it can be really hard to corral the bride and groom. Then I just let the rest of the day unfold.
    Autumn, it’s the most wonderful time of the year!

P8hSFBm.jpg
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    Most of the time I play I have wedding events. Usually I won’t invite a lot of sims between 5-8, I add all of the guests, bride and groom to a group and with this I can control the flow of the party at least a little. I never had a problem with sims not sitting or other popular problems others seems to experience frequently during weddings. Maybe it’s because of the small number of guests or maybe the venue is also important? I prefer smaller lots that won’t lag and I make sure no routing issue will occur before the party. So yeah, I enjoy the wedding parties quite a lot. But when story requires I’m open to elope option. I once played a mermaid and she got along with another merman, they felt sort of like children of nature, lol, so it didn’t fit them to throw normal wedding party. I waited till night and let them get married on the beach without anyone around. I was blown away how special it felt, but their story was such and it is not for all my sims.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Weddings happen if a sim has the whim to. They take place at Club Calico, Brindleton Bay as it has the resources. And the bride changes her name every time (I wouldn't marry a woman who refused to take my name).
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited September 2021
    Generally I like to host events but whether I do so mostly depends of the personality/story of the sims. Whims and friends/family matter too. E.g. when Vlad married Trent, they just eloped in the middle of the night in those ruins in Windenburg (then decided to autonymously celebrate in a bush lol). Just found it fitting seeing how they are both vampires with hissing problems and Vlad is a loner.
    When it comes to events, I like to host them at venues... and usually mess up in one way or another. Like forgetting to bake that freaking cake and having to buy kitchen equipment in the middle of the party in order to make it. But I just like picking different venues relevant to their personality and inviting a bunch of family/friends. Especially with my mods (which affect autonomy) it's fun to watch whether any drama happens.
    Names... if they do change their names I tend to just pick whichever sounds better or is more "relevant". E.g. if I started playing Cassandra Goth and she married some random townie she most certainly wouldn't pick the name of that townie. Instead I'd most likely make them both Goths. Same pretty much goes for any pre-mades who have distinctive surnames. Similarly I'm biased for my own sims.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    All of my Sims that got married in the game have eloped.
    Most of my Sims don't know many Sims by the time they are married, because some I have elope right away. Other times, even if they know others, I have them elope as soon as possible.
    Two of my female Sims eloped at the Romance Festival.
    One of my male Sims I downloaded from the Gallery, who was based on Marshal from Animal Crossing, eloped with his rich wife in her mansion. He is a young adult, and she was an adult, so he ended up being a bit of a gold digger...whoops...
    I made a single mother with her five kids, and later on made a male sim to live with her, so I could move them to a bigger house without having to use cheats, and also to give her a husband. Once they got along, I had them try for baby, and then elope.
    Another male Sim I had eloped with Liberty Lee at his house, but once again I did try for baby, before they eloped.
    Sometimes, I am focused on creating my Sim families, and focus more on making sure the kids are connected to their parents, that I have missed making the parents linked to each other as a couple, so I try to get them together right away to get them linked in-game.
    I am kind of impatient with planning weddings, because I want them to get together as soon as possible to have kids. If they don't have premade kids, they are parents through adoption, or have kids right away.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I like having weddings. I usually decorate a venue or the backyard (if funds low) and stage the wedding with flowers,lights, tables, chair, cake and drinks. And hire entertainers. I always have traditional weddings (white dress) and always change the womans name after. I will only elope if im not really interested in the couple themselves but want them married for other storytelling purposes.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • barracuda1574barracuda1574 Posts: 115 Member
    It depends on the sims, sometimes they elope, sometimes they have a big planned event.
    I decided for one couple's wedding to have it at Myshuno Meadows because it has all the necessities. They invited all the guests, hired the caterer, and so forth. They had to travel there from another 'world' and when they arrived, it was pouring rain. :( It really put a damper on the festivities. (There have been a lot more elopements since then.)
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,869 Member
    Pro tip for wedding event holders: before you start the event, travel to the lot/neighborhood where you want to have the wedding and check the weather (both current weather and what it says on the calendar).

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I've only had one 'proper' goaled wedding event for my Sims, ever! However, it was during the Trailer Trash challenge I was doing at the time. It was held in the dusty dirt-filled backyard behind their trailer with just two guests. The bride, Bobby Sue, was ready to pop their first child any minute. I had another backyard wedding, with an arch and everything else associated with a goaled wedding, but it wasn't. No guests and the groom made their cake. Difference with this one would be the groom was my Super Sim and extremely wealthy. They married surrounded by flowers under a lantern lighted tree. However, the bride was pregnant during this wedding too and would give birth to my first set of twins in TS4 the next day.

All my other Sims have eloped, most in their underwear next to the bed after their first woo hoo. Or in the bathroom of all places. :D However, there have been a few exceptions when I tried to make it a bit more special.

In my current challenge, the main character, Essa, and her fiancé, Josh, will eventually elope as well. But they will have a wedding arch located in a very romantic and beautiful spot for their wedding. They will throw a big reception later for family and friends.

With all my couples, after the proposal, the female wears an engagement ring if there will be a lengthy engagement. Both will wear wedding bands after the ceremony. The bride always takes the groom's last name, except in Legacies, the Not So Berry and Drifter challenges. In those cases, the groom takes the bride's last name.

A few pics under the spoiler. *Note - I apologize for the quality of some of these screenshots as they're very old and were taken on an underpowered laptop I had at the time.
    W3CnB4r.png
    Bobby Sue Pitchford and Sam Murdock - Trailer Trash Challenge, only Goaled Wedding. He was a food stall vendor.

ZE9mMnj.png
    Joel and Alaina Hunter - My first and only Super Sims couple, backyard elopement. She was his mail carrier.

E9s3ZLR.png
    Josh Hunter and Zoe (Patel) Hunter - Apocalypse Challenge, backyard elopement

HFWvo1P.png
    Ella McDonough and Don (Lothario) McDonough - Drifter House 01, kitchen elopement after Ella just gave birth. Don is in his underwear. :D

I6mdamR.png
    Britta McDonough and Armando (Price) McDonough - Drifter House 04, Romance Festival elopement with fireworks. She had just learned she was pregnant. He was the Hermit of Granite Falls.

eG1mCkx.png
    Velamint Berry and Brooks (Stern) Berry - Not So Berry Challenge, Von Haunt Chalet Estate elopement. The ghost of Lady Mimsy Alcorn Shallot played the piano for them during the ceremony. He was a bartender and a distant relative of Mimsy.

dQ58Vtw.png
    Iris and Leonardo Gleason - Elder Homeless Challenge, The Bluffs elopement. Leo was a younger community gardener Iris met while doing the challenge.

Happy Simming everyone! <3
  • KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    edited September 2021
    Either elope, or use very simple items (or items already in the venue) to create the experience, and the venue usually has some significance to one or both sims. It's a one-and-done affair (usually), so whilst still beautiful, I don't make it into more of an intricate (or expensive) thing than it needs to be, given all it is is the prelude to a new relationship status. Functionally, marriage adds very little to the actual game (which is what I feel about it in reality), but I suppose it has widespread cultural significance.

As for naming conventions and proposal, I'm mostly traditional with it (with the males proposing and being the family-name bearers), unless I feel the sim would instead combine their last names (amalgamated, not hyphenated), though that only happens if they seem particularly attached to their family (in backstory or in play).

Now that I think about it, maybe I should figure out a different "ceremony" or tradition to cement the relationship, then just have them elope (to emulate the ceremony adding the status). Could be fun coming up with something trial-esque like some cultures do.
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).