Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

BUILDERS' 101 - For Builders from Novice to Beyond

Comments

• BleachBleedBleachBleed Posts: 188 New Member
    edited December 2009
    BleachBleed : The assignments are more of a 'springboard' for builders to use to better understand building concepts and such. That doesn't mean you have to be doing them to post on this thread, so welcome.

As far as your hotel type build.. I'd go with services on the ground floor like bar, library, restaurant (kitchen and dining). Next floors, bedrooms and bathrooms. Keep all the service type things on the ground floor or if you do want to spread out from the ground floor, keep them to one end of the upper floors to keep it kind of tied together.

Smoky - Glad you got CFE sorted. I had written a tutorial thing but I think maybe I didnt explain right in mine or I was too specific to the end product. Regardless, you got there with DS, nam and Lil's tuts so it's all good.

Judy - loving the beatles, are we going to see a yellow submarine build?

Craig - if you get that line again I think you'll find that if you delete a section of the floor that is part of your bridge and then undo it it should disappear. I think you just have to force the game to 'redraw' the floorline. Try to delete a piece of floor that is 'flat' and not angled in anyway, if undo doesn't work you should be able to just place the new piece down on that flat section. If that doesn't work I'll look at it as I know I had this problem with the tower build I basically selved due to the castle set coming out.

Sorry to everyone for not commenting on builds and stuff... I have been busy with work and my dad had a stroke day after boxing day. Yesterday he was talking with words no one understood, today he is talking fine. Which is nice. I knew he was frustrated, I could tell he knew what he wanted to say but it wasn't coming out right and he confirmed that to us today. I can't even begin to imagine the feeling of being locked in your own body, saying something to someone but hearing something else come out of your mouth. I'll try to be around more soon, till then, take care.

Thanks for your opinion, it was really helpful. Hope your dad gets better!
  • bergcrysbergcrys Posts: 659
    edited December 2009
    Ok so I redid all the terrain paint and added some lights. I totally blanked on the fact that sometimes it will not be light out. oops. I'm a little happier with how it looks but it doesnt seem to look as nice as everone else's unfortunately. Let me know where you think I could improve.

Thanks for all the imput so far. :)

land1new.jpg

landnew2.jpg

landnew3.jpg

LAndnew6.jpg

LANDNEW5.jpg

landnew4.jpg
  • simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    BleachBleed - Welcome! Your build is looking good so far. I think Wicked gave you very good advise. Please continue to post your WIP pic's here.

Wicked - I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he continues to improve. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

bergcrys - Your WIP is looking really good! Your landscaping looks great.

• simtweeksimtweek Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2009
    I wanted to tell all of you that I have been working so hard on a secret project for all of the builders who join us here on Builders' 101. I am so excited to share this with all of you. An official announcement will be made by Magician here on January 1st. Until then here are a few pics...and look for a download link some time today (Dec 29th) or tomorrow.

Coastal Dreams: A Builders' 101 Project

world5.png

world4.png

world3.png

world2.png

world1v.png
  • Buddy_ClydeBuddy_Clyde Posts: 85 New Member
    edited December 2009
    MerryWidow: I know you asked that the assignments be completed in a timely manner, but I am finding that I need to rest more often since my last stroke. Nevertheless, I have finished my landscaping and am submitting the following photos.

We begin with a photo of the property from the front. I have changed the color of two of the porch overhangs and added a private patio above the carport. My Sim is living in the house and as far as I know, all is fully functional. We will move thru the exterior beginning at the front walk and continue clockwise around the house and end with three night photos.
    Screenshot-1.jpg

This is the mailbox nicely camouflaged in greens and blues to blend with the hydrangea. Bills have been delivered and paid so I know that it is accessible. Screenshot-2.jpg

To the left of the front staircase is a small gate separating the more private areas from those with easy public access.
    Screenshot-3.jpg

Just beyond is our beloved Sim3 statuary. I originally had him centered on tiles but decided I needed a grassy area.
    Screenshot-4.jpg

Moving to our right we will ascend this short staircase while admiring the serenity pool. The significance of this area will become apparent later on.
    Screenshot-5.jpg

From this raised area we can see all the way to the outdoor fireplace. Notice the origin of the serenity pool on the far left. We are moving down the stairs directly in front of us.
    Screenshot-6.jpg

This outdoor area is perfect for entertaining. It is also the result of my first inspiration picture. A little much for this little house, but then our Sims deserve the very best, don't they?
    Screenshot-72.jpg
    Screenshot-7.jpg

Turning around and viewing from the fireplace, we can see that the raised area we just traversed has an element of beauty in its simplicity.
    Screenshot-82.jpg

It is meant to be a place of quiet retreat where a Sim can contemplate… well, whatever Sims contemplate. It is also the result of my second inspiration picture.
    Screenshot-8.jpg
    Screenshot-9.jpg

Two more views of our patio area: First, from the juice bar looking toward the origins of the serenity pool waters and second, the reverse view looking toward the juice bar and beyond.
    Screenshot-10.jpg
    Screenshot-11.jpg

And now the beyond: The large grassy area on our left has been fenced and set aside for the growing of produce. The walkway bordering it ends in the barbecue and pool area.
    Screenshot-12.jpg
    Screenshot-13.jpg

The swimming pool is adjacent to, but separated from the carport. The staircase to the private patio is on the pool side of the gate as is the pathway to a small pond for fishing. Upstairs first and then down the path on our far left.
    Screenshot-14.jpg
    Screenshot-15.jpg

This path leads to a bench on the left and the pond. I originally did not have a bench here but could not get my Sim to fish from this side of the pond.
    Screenshot-16.jpg
    Screenshot-17.jpg

This is the same pond which borders the far side of my driveway.
    Screenshot-18.jpg

And now two night views of the serenity platform and pool.
    Screenshot-19.jpg
    Screenshot-20.jpg

This last night photo is of the small fishing pond as viewed from the driveway. Screenshot-21.jpg

I don’t know if these photos reflect just how much I have learned here. I thank all of you for your assistance and critiques. What now MerryWidow?
    I still cannot use my launcher. I am using a shortcut I learned from some precious Sim player on the technical forum. Does anyone have any suggestions? The techies seem to be saying a clean install is necessary. But I am not sure what I have to back up, are there deletions necessary, and will my saved games still work?
    Last but not least, I hope everyone is enjoying this holiday season regardless of your beliefs and traditions. We are getting ready for more snow, and no doubt even more snow yet to come. This is my 3rd Christmas in Illinois and the “it’s snowing!” excitement is starting to wear thin.
  • wolfsprytewolfspryte Posts: 187 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Wicked... SO sorry to hear about your dad.. I hope he continues to improve daily! Will keep you and yours in my thoughts.

BleachBleed... it looks good! I agree with Tweek about wicked's advice.

bergcrys... that getting better! :) Okay, imho, you need to try some different terrain paints in the yard.. try some of the flower paints, and maybe some weed paint here and there. Also, some "dirt" paint around trees and under shrubs/flowers. I always paint dirt around the foundations, just "peeking" out... you can also paint mulch around trees/shrubs/flowers.
    The ponds are getting there... add some cat-tails here and there around the edges and in the water using MOO and the alt key.

Hiya Buddy_Clyde! Sorry to hear about your stroke... I hope you improve daily too!! The build is very nice! I'm not the "boss" around here.. lol but I think exceptions are made to every rule! ;) We're getting snow here in PA too! And, although I'm from Ohio - just moved here a year ago - I've been unexcited about the "snow" for a long long time!! :D Snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas day only would suit me perfectly!!
  • darkside266darkside266 Posts: 2,077 Member
    edited December 2009
    Attention
    It has been brought to my attention..if you are making stories or tutorials and after completing it..you delete the pics from your media file.they are disappearing from our stories..This is a recent event.I have been guilty of deleting the pics after creating stories to save on space..Now all my stories are missing their pics..Just letting you all know in the event you need your stories for challenges or anything..Its a lot of hard work for nothing..Especially when it comes to tutorials.

Lil..I rec both your story and lot

Craig..it looks like the mysterious line has disappeared with your landscaping..its looking very good so far..just need someplace to go after you get off of bridge.

Thanks Bre..I think we are all just trying to help each other out.

wolfspryte ..I have made similar driveways at a couple of my cabins..so many just place tile driveways or cover entire area with gravel or other paints..I love realism in the games..So the compliment i gave you was well deserved.

bergcrys ..i'm gonna post separately so i can show you some landscaping ideas.ok..so i saw some more pics..its coming along great.

Buddy_Clyde...not much to say..your home looks gorgeous.

Tweek..i cant wait to get that neighborhood..it looks so cool.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited December 2009
    bergcrys..oh here are some pics i said i would post for landscaping inspiration.

this is 2 fountains combined
    10wi35s.jpg
    95mv5v.jpg
    5jwbcz.jpg
    2h6af7n.jpg
    edited December 2009
    HOMEWORK Assignment 4 - Promoting

Here's the link to my "story".. let me know what you think! Thanks! If all is okay, I will upload the lot and post a link!

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=150163
  • LiLSapphireLiLSapphire Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited December 2009
    simtweek wrote:
    I wanted to tell all of you that I have been working so hard on a secret project for all of the builders who join us here on Builders' 101. I am so excited to share this with all of you. An official announcement will be made by Magician here on January 1st. Until then here are a few pics...and look for a download link some time today (Dec 29th) or tomorrow.

AWESOME

I can't wait to dl. I haven't played around too much with CAW, but building an entire town from scratch will be a dream come true of mine.

It looks great and from the pics it looks like you have done a fantastic job. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: to you

I give you high praises in deed :!:
    Lil
    edited December 2009

Spryte Nam simtweek Craig Dark Thanks for the recs and the great feed back of my last build.

Wicked Sorry to hear about your dad I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

Buddy_Clyde I hope you a feeling better soon and also have a full and speedy recovery. I'm sure allowances can be made for the homework assignments.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year.

Lil
  • BrennaWBrennaW Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited December 2009

Hey DS you got a tomb tutorial for this person? :

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/151830.page

I sent her Sunny's and she said not detailed enough.

Luv Bre

edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:
    HOMEWORK Assignment 4 - Promoting

Here's the link to my "story".. let me know what you think! Thanks! If all is okay, I will upload the lot and post a link!

http://www.thesims3.com/contentDetail.html?contentId=150163

Wolfspryte..i had a look and gave you a rec...Everything looks very good..For me though.i am especially loving your exterior..Great job there.
  • BrennaWBrennaW Posts: 1,067 Member
    edited December 2009
    simtweek wrote:

I see you three have been up to something cool. I am intrigued.

Luv Bre

Great job ST! Your hard work shows!
    edited December 2009
    hey i was unsure about posting it here, since i'm not doing the assignments and i started building before finding about this thread.
    i decided to build a luxury hotel ever since one of my households had 4 babies (3 being triplets). I based the outside on this hotel (raffles hotel in singapore, in case you're wondering)

htbmmu.jpg

and the inside is very palace looking, im aiming towards luxury not cozy. The lobby and the dining room were easy for me and the entrance isn't finished i think, its idle. But now i'm stuck. I don't know much about hotels and i thought about putting the game/bar room on the ground floor with a library. I was skeptical about putting a gym in there aswell because it would go against the classic look so i'm probably going to create a basement and place it there as XOX1 suggested (from the thread http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/142349.page ). I'd like some opinions (negative or positive) on what i could do to improve.

a view from the top

as you can see i still have a lot of space
    2en5jb5.jpg

BleechBread
    Welcome to the thread. Your build is looking great so far. The one thing I have learned in building for Sims is that you can never get your build to duplicate real life exactly. With that being said I would suggest a TV with a video game system and maybe some Sim goggles to take up that space. You could devide from the rest of the room with screen deviders or put up an wall and use a couple of archways for access.

You can keep that luxury feel and look if you play around with it and do it right.

I wish you luck and can't wait to see how you finish the build.

Lil
    edited December 2009
    BrennaW wrote:

Hey DS you got a tomb tutorial for this person? :

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/151830.page

I sent her Sunny's and she said not detailed enough.

Luv Bre

So far i think Sunnys Tutorial is the only one i have seen.Sorry
    edited December 2009
    Attention
    It has been brought to my attention..if you are making stories or tutorials and after completing it..you delete the pics from your media file.they are disappearing from our stories..This is a recent event.I have been guilty of deleting the pics after creating stories to save on space..Now all my stories are missing their pics..Just letting you all know in the event you need your stories for challenges or anything..Its a lot of hard work for nothing..Especially when it comes to tutorials.

Lil..I rec both your story and lot

Craig..it looks like the mysterious line has disappeared with your landscaping..its looking very good so far..just need someplace to go after you get off of bridge.

wolfspryte ..I have made similar driveways at a couple of my cabins..so many just place tile driveways or cover entire area with gravel or other paints..I love realism in the games..So the compliment i gave you was well deserved.

bergcrys ..i'm gonna post separately so i can show you some landscaping ideas.ok..so i saw some more pics..its coming along great.

Buddy_Clyde...not much to say..your home looks gorgeous.

Tweek..i cant wait to get that neighborhood..it looks so cool.

Dark
    thanks for the recs

I hope the dissappearing pics is a temporary thing. I checked my stories as I do delete my media after I complete them and luckly all of mine are still intact. There is only so much storage space before you run out so you kind of have to delete old media pics if you want to continue to make stories, tuts and walk throughs.

Lil
  • Buddy_ClydeBuddy_Clyde Posts: 85 New Member
    edited December 2009
    Thanks to all. Wolfspryte: took a look at your home and gave a rec. Well done.
    Darkside: I have followed your work for sometime and have always found it to be inspirational. Lil: I don't know how your find the time to produce the fine work you have done.

Me: Since last April - loss of husband and also loss of the father of my four children and my friend. three strokes and a dead pancreas. Cholesterol lodged in the left retina and edema on the right retina.

Fun and games. I've learned to laugh at myself. You all should have seen me picking up frozen peas from the floor with one hand and puting them into the other only to find that I had missed the second hand entirely. Just cracked up laughing at myself.

Am doing well as long as I have my Sims. Keep up your work. I go to every link and love all that you are producing. Glad to have found this thread
    edited December 2009
    wolfspryte wrote:

bergcrys... add some cat-tails here and there around the edges and in the water using MOO and the alt key.

What is this MOO you speak of?
    edited December 2009
    BleechBread
    Welcome to the thread. Your build is looking great so far. The one thing I have learned in building for Sims is that you can never get your build to duplicate real life exactly. With that being said I would suggest a TV with a video game system and maybe some Sim goggles to take up that space. You could devide from the rest of the room with screen deviders or put up an wall and use a couple of archways for access.

You can keep that luxury feel and look if you play around with it and do it right.

I wish you luck and can't wait to see how you finish the build.

Lil
    That was really helpful thank you! ill certainly take it into consideration!
    edited December 2009
    bergcrys wrote:
    wolfspryte wrote:

bergcrys... add some cat-tails here and there around the edges and in the water using MOO and the alt key.

What is this MOO you speak of?

MoveObjects On
    edited December 2009
    Thank you so much BleachBleed. I thought it might be that but I wasn't sure. Always best to clarify. :)
  • craigst39craigst39 Posts: 434 Member
    edited December 2009
    Ok here is my progress so far. Sorry for all the questions.

xptzbt.jpg

352n6ds.jpg

34eclcj.jpg

x2a3bk.jpg

jgo02w.jpg

14iiq9k.jpg

Please tell me what you think.
    edited December 2009
    Sorry bergcrys... just saw your question... yep.. move objects on! ;) Thanks to BleachBleed for answering you! :D

Darkside! MUCH appreciated! I DO love to landscape...

Well, I'm off to upload my lot then... IF this site will allow it! I have trouble with it for some reason...

SIMTWEEK.. if that is a new town for us to play and build in... I think I LOVE YOU! :D
    edited December 2009
    :!:
    Thanks to all.

Lil: I don't know how your find the time to produce the fine work you have done.

Me: Since last April - loss of husband and also loss of the father of my four children and my friend. three strokes and a dead pancreas. Cholesterol lodged in the left retina and edema on the right retina.

Fun and games. I've learned to laugh at myself. You all should have seen me picking up frozen peas from the floor with one hand and puting them into the other only to find that I had missed the second hand entirely. Just cracked up laughing at myself.

Am doing well as long as I have my Sims. Keep up your work. I go to every link and love all that you are producing. Glad to have found this thread

Buddy

My time is my own and my time is Sim time. It's what I use to keep myself from going stir crazy. I am disabled and very rarely leave my home. Usually only go out to go to Dr.s.

I had no kids of my own, but did raise my 2 nieces they are both grown and out of the home. Never hear from them unless they want something. Typical kids.

So, it is just me my hubby and my 3 fur babies. The cats sleep, hubby is gong to school since he lost his job last June and I spend my time playing Sims. Happily building homes and other things. :D

Oh and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law live with us. The sister-in-law is also disabled and has a fear of people and only comes out of her room to use the bathroom. My brother-in-law spends his days job hunting and playing racing games on his computer.

So, I really do have all my time to kill myself and yes you must learn to laugh at yourself. And in my case talk to one self to.
    TG for Sims is all I can say :!:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top