Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Stephen's Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons Challenge

StevieSaysStevieSays Posts: 207 Member
Stephen's Harvest Moon Challenge
Harvest Moon: Henford On-Bagley
I'm not sure if anyone has already created something like this. I kind of don't care, because this is my version and I've had a blast creating it! For the last 20+ years, The Sims and Harvest Moon (the OG Stardew Valley) are the two games I've been consistently always playing. Harvest Moon inspired my love of the outdoors and [dreams of] homesteading. The Sims has been an incredible creative outlet and of course, a fun way to "play with life". ;)
Now that Cottage Living has made it possible, I wanted to create my first-ever challenge that brings together the spirit of the two games. You will start on an overgrown farm in a tiny farmhouse, cultivate the land, raise animals and a family, interact with the local community and try to make a living off the land. The new errands system as well as the Finchwick fairs are critical in making this really feel like a Harvest Moon game.

07-24-21-4-49-31-PM.png07-24-21-4-49-44-PM.png

Start by placing the HMc Starter lot on 2 Olde Mill Ln (the empty lot in Henford-on-Bagley) and moving in your farmer Sim! The lot is loosely based on the Konohana farm in A Tale of Two Towns, while the house is inspired by the classic Harvest Moon farmhouse. Your Sim must be a Young Adult, but the rest is up to you. Keep in mind, certain traits will help you in this challenge, but you're not required to use them. Your Sim must register as a Farmer with the Ministry of Labor. You may choose any Aspiration, but try to keep it within the spirit of the challenge. (no movie stars, please) You may purchase Aspiration rewards, and I encourage you to complete as many Aspirations as you like!
You must choose a Lot Challenge that fits within the farming theme. Farm upgrades are unlocked as you progress and reach specific milestones, as outlined below. You're free to decorate and landscape the lot as you please, as long as the core layout stays the same. No moving around key sections of the farm. If you have Cats & Dogs, you're welcome to have pets, too! In Harvest Moon this is actually the first animal you usually get, but it's not required here.
When it comes time to Marry, you may choose any Sim. However, it would be preferred that they are a Henford resident, to stick with the spirit of Harvest Moon.

Before you begin, use the "money" cheat to set your funds at §100. (CTRL+SHIFT+C; type money 100)

07-24-21-4-49-53-PM.png07-24-21-4-50-02-PM.png

As you progress toward your ultimate Goals, you will unlock house upgrades, field and pasture expansions, additional livestock, a greenhouse, a maker shed, lot traits, and other key achievements. Each of these has a specific requirement for completing, but you may do so in any order - as long as the requirements are met.

Please stay within the spirit of Harvest Moon and Cottage Living. Your Sim can not make money programming, creating digital music or something like that. This is about building a farm and living off the land.
NO CHEATS MAY BE USED TO PROGRESS (money, skill, animal, gardening, relationship etc.)
Move Objects needs to be active when placing the lot, and I've used Debug trees/bushes in blocked areas to keep the cost of the lot down.

Main Goals
- Complete all expansions/upgrades
- Skills at level 10: Gardening, Cooking
- Skills above level 5: Handiness, Fishing
- Marry; raise child and send them to college
- Friendship with all farm animals
- All farm animals and plants at Excellent quality
- Win one of each Finchwick fairs
- Friendship with all key Henford residents (the ones with titles like Mayor, etc.)

Additional goals - these are just for fun, if you want to take them on
- Grow every type of plant
- Complete one or more collection
- Catch all available fish
- Complete all errands

Applicable Lot Challenges (must pick one)
- Wild Foxes
- Simple Living
- Off the Grid
- You may choose something else as long as you feel it's in the spirit of the game

Types of Income
- Animal Products: milk, eggs, wool
Pack Based - honey, insect farm
- Gardening
- Cooking
- Crafted Items: canning, woodworking, crosstich, painting, writing(?)
Pack Based - flower arranging, juice fizzing, candles, herbal brews, knitting
- Fishing
- Foraging/Collecting: wild plants, crystals, stones, fossils, frogs, rummaging
Pack Based - insects
- Running errands
- Odd jobs
- Music/acting performance (?)

When it's time for an upgrade, the following list details the requirements you must meet to do so. I have created house upgrades (saved as rooms) for the non-builders. You can just delete the existing house (save anything additional you've purchased) and replace it with the next one. The cash requirement will make up for the difference. If you prefer, you're welcome to expand your house as you see fit, within certain parameters, but you can't spend more than the upgrade cost. If you have Tiny Living, the Tiny Home tiers are your guideline for the first two upgrades. Generally, your expansions should be small.
The first expansion adds a separate bedroom and kitchen, and upgrades some of the furnishings. The second mainly expands the living area and includes more upgrades. The third will expand all rooms, and add a child's room. Each has a financial milestone to unlock, and you should aim to spend as close to that amount as possible, without going over.
You may also add more garden patches at any time, if you choose! (I think a small flower garden near the greenhouse would be cute)

For farming expansions, simply delete the hedges surrounding the relevant area, and any "wild" plants covering it. As a guide, I've used Debug items for the plants intended to be deleted, and to keep the cost down. You are free, however, to keep/lose whatever plants you please. Remember you can decorate and landscape however you like, whiten the spirit of the challenge.
In some areas, there is a dirt patch where a building will go. In the pasture and chicken pen, you will place these immediately. In the back of the lot, though, these will remain until you unlock the relevant building.
There are garden patches placed in the fields as a guide, and are the only required areas for planting. Depending on how difficult you want to make it, you could delete these and plant in-ground - but you must plant at least as many plants as would fit in the patches.

If you have Seasons or Eco Living, you can also unlock Beehives and Insect Farms. Since these are pack-specific, there aren't any requirements to unlock them. You may place your choice of one with each building upgrade. Where you place them is up to you!
If you have Seasons, you can place the Flower Bench in either the Greenhouse or Maker Shed.
If you have Eco Living, you can place the Candle Making Station and/or Juice Fizzer in the Maker Shed.

YoU mAy NoT uSe ChEaTs To AdVaNcE

Expansion Requirements *UPDATED*
- House Upgrade 1: have §4k+; have completed one additional upgrade
must be a tier 2 Tiny Home if applicable; can not spend more than §4K
- House Upgrade 2: have §5k+; have completed a combination of three additional upgrades
must have double bed and be a tier 3 Tiny Home if applicable; can not spend more than §5
- House Upgrade 3: have §6k+; have gotten married; have completed a combination of four additional upgrades
must include child's room; can not spend more than §6k

- Land Expansion: have completed house upgrade 1; have completed a combination of two additional upgrades
- Fields 1 & 2: have at least one wild animal (bunny/birds) helping you in the garden; have won a crop festival competition once per upgrade
- Greenhouse: costs §5k ; have completed Land Expansion
- Pasture: have §500; cow/llama has won a festival competition; have gained friendship with cow/llama
- Chicken Pen: have §400; have 8 chickens and at least one chicken has won festival competition; have gained friendship with each chicken
- Maker Shed: costs §5k ; have completed land expansion
- Beehives/Insect Farms: may build one (either/or) with each House upgrade, Greenhouse, and Maker Shed; location doesn't matter

Other Requirements
- Marriage: have completed house upgrade 2; obviously build a relationship to point of marriage
- Have/Adopt baby: have completed house upgrade 3
if adopting, must be a baby

Lot Trait Requirements *UPDATED*
- Great Soil: have completed the Greenhouse; have reached level 5 in Gardening skill
- Gnomes: befriend a Fox, a Rabbit, and Birds (I love this cause it's like the Harvest Sprites in HM)
- Homey: have completed a House expansion; have reached level 5 in cooking and gardening
- Sunny Aspect: have befriended Agnes Crumplebottom
- Natural Light: have completed the Maker Shed; have reached level 5 in Handiness
- Convivial: have reached level 5 Charisma skill; have befriended 3 key Henford residents
- Bracing Breezes: have completed the Land expansion; have reached level 5 in Athletic skill

hmc-map.png

Phew! I think that covers it. Need something clarified? Did I leave something out? Have an idea for something to add? I welcome any constructive input in the comments. :) Thanks for taking the time to try this challenge with me.

The Starter lot and the house upgrades are available in the Gallery under my username: @stephendanielt
Post edited by StevieSays on

Comments

• VanillaChaiVanillaChai Posts: 177 Member
    Yessss! I love it! Just downloaded the lots and I'm ready to get started tonight. Thanks for making this. Looks like it'll be exactly the kind of challenge I want to play.
    Currently Playing - Generation One of the Bloom Legacy

You should post your challenge info and link to this thread on the Challenge List here https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17939137#Comment_17939137

• StevieSaysStevieSays Posts: 207 Member
    Yessss! I love it! Just downloaded the lots and I'm ready to get started tonight. Thanks for making this. Looks like it'll be exactly the kind of challenge I want to play.

Thank you! I hope you enjoy it. I'd love any feedback you have as it goes on. I'm finding some things here and there already that I want to tweak. <3
  • nifflrnifflr Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm not sure I fully understand the Expansion Requirements. There is a lot of information written maybe too concisely. Let me see if I understand what it means. So for House Upgrade 1, I will need to have at least 4k in the bank and have completed any one upgrade already. And that required upgrade could be, for example, building a second field after having 100% excellent crops in my first field? And to complete House Upgrade 1 I need to spend 4k-6k on separating the kitchen from the the bedroom, upgrading furniture and increasing the house size to 64 tiles?
  • nifflrnifflr Posts: 7 New Member
    I ran into a couple problems with the lot you posted in your gallery. The first is that the fishing post is not properly placed in the lake. You have to move it to get the fishing spot to work. The second is that none of my visitors will enter the house. I'm not sure how to fix it. I thought at first it was because there was a bush in the middle of the front door staircase. But even after removing it they refuse to enter.
    Hey @nifflr thanks for the feedback!
    Yes, you are correct on the expansion requirements. I’ll work on clarifying that a bit. There are house upgrades in the gallery, and the cost of the upgrade is the difference between the prices of the two houses. (Does that make sense?) The layout is really up to you, I’m just explaining in my post what I added in my version - you can use it as a guide.
    I did notice the fishing post in my game as well. I will move that and upload a new version! I’ll also check on the entrance. I didn’t notice the bush. It could be a routing error due the the house being on a hill, or an issue with the stairs to the door.
    Again, thanks! I should have it updated soon.
    @VanillaChai did you have any issues with the lot or understanding the guidelines?

I’d love to see pictures or hear about your progress whenever you have it! :)
    @StevieSays I don't think I'm having the same front door issue, but I haven't invited anyone else inside yet. I'll test it out when I play again. The fishing spot says it requires me to fill it with fish first. Will moving the post change that? I've just been fishing elsewhere.

The guidelines all make sense to me. Quick question, though... are there any restrictions about adding rabbit or bird houses once we befriend one of them? I don't think I saw anything, but just wanted to make sure.

@VanillaChai with the fishing post, it allows you to toggle fish in the pond, but it wasn’t quite in the right spot to register as being in the water to actually let you fish.

There aren’t any restrictions on animal houses right now - I just handed a rabbit house myself! :) I might consider adding something small, but it kind of seems like it’s already been earned so go for it.
    I made some small tweaks to the starter lot and uploaded it to the gallery!
    @nifflr - I'm not sure what the issue is that you're having with guests. :| The only thing I could think is that maybe you have to use the "Invite In" interaction.

Thanks again for your feedback friends!
  • kathrynlouw7kathrynlouw7 Posts: 6 New Member
    Oh my gosh, this sounds AMAZING! I am going to go start playing right now. So super excited. I've never played Harvest Moon, but I love Stardew Valley. I saw Harvest Moon's newest game just came out on Switch and I'm debating getting it but having never played any previous Harvest Moon's I wasn't sure if I should. Anyway, off to try out this :)
  • MizzTuraMizzTura Posts: 43 Member
    To create the maker shed and greenhouse. Am I right in reading that I have to do the land upgrade to place them there?

Also because you can only have one animal per barn, would I be able to buy multiple to have one of each animal?
    Oh my gosh, this sounds AMAZING! I am going to go start playing right now. So super excited. I've never played Harvest Moon, but I love Stardew Valley. I saw Harvest Moon's newest game just came out on Switch and I'm debating getting it but having never played any previous Harvest Moon's I wasn't sure if I should. Anyway, off to try out this :)

You definitely should give Harvest Moon a try! I can't speak to this new game, but the ones I've played are so fun. Each one for the last several years is a little bit different as far as gameplay mechanics and storyline. If you like it, I would definitely recommend going back and playing one of the original iterations too.
    MizzTura wrote: »
    To create the maker shed and greenhouse. Am I right in reading that I have to do the land upgrade to place them there?

Also because you can only have one animal per barn, would I be able to buy multiple to have one of each animal?

Yes - you have to complete the land expansion in order to have space for the greenhouse and maker shed. I'm going to post a picture of the completed farm for reference - I think that would be helpful.

I only created space and intention for two barns. In my game I have one cow and one llama, but you could have two of one kind if you want. I supposed if you want to buy more barns you could! I wanted to keep the challenge within the spirit of the Sims, so I invite customization as long as the minimum requirements are met.
    edited August 2021
    08-01-21-12-21-56-PM.png

Here's an example of how the fully upgraded farm might look.
    I did notice there was a little bugginess placing the 3rd house upgrade from the gallery. Make sure Move Objects is on and delete the existing house first. I may play with the layout a little bit and upload it again. Maybe someone could give some feedback on their experience with it? I played with the layout so it fits better on the lot and uploaded a new version to the gallery. I'd love to see what you all are doing with it!

Thanks to everyone who's written so far - I was excited to share this, and to have collaborative growth on it, so there are going to be some wrinkles to iron out.
  • MizzTuraMizzTura Posts: 43 Member
    StevieSays wrote: »
    MizzTura wrote: »

Yes - you have to complete the land expansion in order to have space for the greenhouse and maker shed. I'm going to post a picture of the completed farm for reference - I think that would be helpful.

I only created space and intention for two barns. In my game I have one cow and one llama, but you could have two of one kind if you want. I supposed if you want to buy more barns you could! I wanted to keep the challenge within the spirit of the Sims, so I invite customization as long as the minimum requirements are met.

Perfect thank you! I started playing it yesterday :)
  • kathrynlouw7kathrynlouw7 Posts: 6 New Member
    So I started playing this and insanely decided to also add in every single lot trait challenge I could... The main problem I've had so far is that a section caught on fire that was behind the debugged zone and no one could reach it to put out the fire for HOURS. I guess that's just the cost of trying to increase the difficulty degree! Really enjoying this challenge and am working towards my first upgrade :)
    @kathrynlouw7 that is hilarious :D I can see how fired would be a problem... I don't know that there's any way around that though since the extra areas need to be blocked.
    Maybe a rebuild with just an open lot, and as you upgrade you can build in the designated areas however you want? That might be a deeper dive I take later on.

Glad you're enjoying yourself! :)
    Sul sul!
    Made a couple changes to the cow/chicken upgrades and field expansions to make it a bit more challenging. Getting them to produce/grow at high quality turned out to be much easier than I anticipated.
  • kdchasekdchase Posts: 1 New Member
    I love this!! Thank you so much!