Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Holiday Suggestions

Holiday Suggestions, please! :D

Okay so...I can't do one more harvestfest or pirate day, love day or even winterfest. 30 million winterfests later, i just can't do anymore

That said, I do enjoy giving my sims holidays. So I'm here for any and all suggestions for better, more fun or just different holidays for a change of pace.

Comments

• Options
    LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Talk Like A Pirate Day

National Dog Day

National Cat Day

National Mutt Day

National Tuba Day

Intergalactical War of the Worlds Rememberance Day

(5/6 of those are real)
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited September 2021
    I haven't come up with any brand new holidays yet, but harvestfest is my favourite sims holiday and I edited it a bit, so that it includes:
    • gardening (take care of your garden, it's time to harvest)
    • holiday gnomes (I think harvestfest isn't harvestfest without the gnomes, though I have started to find them a bit annoying and just ignore them a lot :lol: It's still nice to have them around )
    • grand meal (what is harvestfest without eating the harvest with the family and friends?)
    • egg hunt (who finds the most eggs? search around the garden and the house!)
    • fire (roast the harvest, dance around the bonfire or just burn those leaf piles to tidy up your garden!)
    I think it's much more fun :smile:
  • Options
    PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    I am getting close to being tired of yet another holiday (next one coming up in two days), so I feel you. I usually invite the entire extended family over for more fun. I want to spend the holidays (harvestfest or winterfest) on vacation in Granite Falls in a nice big cozy lodge with the entire extended family with several toddlers, children, adults and pets. So people can bond, do activities together like hiking or fishing and whatever else you will provide them with in their lodge like a sauna etc. I regularly do big family vacations (14 people plus pets) in Granite Falls or Sulani so should be nice to spend the holidays there. This will also get repetitive but at least the younger sims in the family will have different ages year after year, giving you different interactions and activities.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I think there was a thread about holidays somewhere around these forums. Anyway, I have a bunch of holidays inspired by real life events, like winterfest eve and winterfest day, 1st day of spring, spring cleaning day followed soon by easter bunny. I have a hot dog day, inspired by 4th of July, with bbq and fireworks, a health day where sims do excercise and fitness stuff as they can't run a marathon. I have a sport championships day where they watch sports channel and drink and sing. When there was an issue with Santa, I edited winterfest and now my sims celebrate with the menorah.
  • Options
    PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    > @crocobaura said:
    > I think there was a thread about holidays somewhere around these forums. Anyway, I have a bunch of holidays inspired by real life events, like winterfest eve and winterfest day, 1st day of spring, spring cleaning day followed soon by easter bunny. I have a hot dog day, inspired by 4th of July, with bbq and fireworks, a health day where sims do excercise and fitness stuff as they can't run a marathon. I have a sport championships day where they watch sports channel and drink and sing. When there was an issue with Santa, I edited winterfest and now my sims celebrate with the menorah.

Good ideas, I especially like spring cleaning, hot dog, and health day. Will try these. Although in my current household it feels like its spring cleaning day every day :D
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Kwanza;
    Tell Stories
    Art and Music Spirit
    Light the Kinara
    Party
    Dancing

Consumerism Day:
    Lotto
    Appreciate an Object
    Night on the town where you get free food
    The Sale tradition

Earth day:
    *Give Flowers
    *Do the garden
    *Hiking (might be a custom holiday)
    * go on a Vacation in Sulani and pick up the trash..

IceSwimming
    *Polar Bear Tradition
    * Water Fun
    * Streaking
    * Fire

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    I look at so-called holidays in my country. Instead of 4th of July, I call it Liberty Day and set the activities for such. And, yes, fireworks are included. :) I also added Labor Day (no name change) as the first Monday in Fall. I use MCCC and give the school-aged Sims the summer off. Then they resume the day after Labor Day. I have also followed what another player said ages ago. That player devised a way for their Sims to go to church. The only activity is to attend the service. (You could easily make it any religious service of your choice. It's a rabbit hole.)
    But there seems to be a plethora of National days of … you fill in the blank. I really hate it when National Ice Cream day falls on a Fasting Day. So not fair, LOL.

Let your imagination go wild. I love this calendar feature, myself.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I have Farmer's Market Day (more or less an Earth Day substitute) on the first day of summer. I don't have the game open right now, but I think the activities are mostly gnomes and gardening.

Summer Vacation in mid-summer: something like travel, BBQ, water activities, fire, fireworks, tell stories. It depends, but it often takes the form of having a cookout in the park with friends and family. Then Mountain Day in early fall: travel, BBQ, fire, tell stories. It's on a Friday, so I usually have the household take a long weekend... often to Granite Falls, but sometimes another destination, but it's always sort of camping/hiking focused.

Parents Day is a Monday in spring, sometime after Bunny Fest. Grand meal, holiday ceremonies, give gift, give flowers, tell stories. Pride Day is... I think... late spring? Invite guests, party spirit, have drinks, tell stories.

Oh, also, I kept Winterfest but also added Winterfest Eve, which I think is baking, fire, decorate, and tell stories? Maybe also holiday ceremonies.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    KiaraSims has a mod to add more Holiday Traditions.

If you don't use mods, maybe you can take get some ideas and inspiration from her list to create your own?

https://kiarasimsfourmodshome.wpcomstaging.com/traditions/
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2021
    Here's my list with a mixed bag of holidays... (not always falling in the correct order.)
    Fools Day * (spring) 2nd / Day off x
    - Streaking
    - Talk Like a Pirate
    - Mischief Spirit
    - Holiday Gnomes
    - Purchase a Lottery Ticket

Fitness Day * (spring) 4th / Day off x
    - Exercise
    - Fasting
    - Water Fun
    - Do Laundry
    - Cleaning

Egg Day * (spring) 15th / Day off √
    - Egg Hunt
    - Flower Bunny
    - Grand Meal

Love Day * (spring) 20th / Day off x
    - Romantic Spitit
    - Give Flowers
    - Go on a Date
    - Free Food and Drink
    - Watch Romantic TV

Earth Day * (spring) 23rd / Day off x
    - Cleaning
    - Gardening
    - Make Resolutions
    - Skill Improvement
    - Thankful Spirit

Family Day * (spring) 28th / Day off √
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Give Gifts
    - Games
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Arts & Music Spirit

4th of Summer * (summer) 4th / Day off x
    - Fireworks
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Drinking
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Water Fun

Leisure Day * (summer) 9th / Day off √
    - Go on a Vacation or Travel
    - Water Fun
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Drinking

Midsummer * (summer) 25th / Day off x
    - Art & Music Spirit
    - Fire
    - Give Flowers
    - Invite Guests
    - Holiday Gnomes

Skill Day * (fall) 4th / Day off x
    - Fishing
    - Skill Improvement
    - Baking
    - Dancing
    - Play an Instrument

Deal Day * (fall) 19th / Day off x
    - Fighting
    - Shopping Rebate
    - Purchase a Lottery Ticket

Harvestfest * (fall) 26th / Day off √
    - Grand Meal
    - Thankful Spirit
    - Sports TV
    - Air Grievances
    - Baking

Spooky Day * (fall) 28th / Day off x
    - Tell Stories
    - Carve Pumpkin
    - Wear Costumes
    - Trick or Treat
    - Watch Movies

Souls Day * (winter) 30th / Day off x
    - Attend Holiday Ceremony
    - Remembrance
    - Spooky Spirit
    - Party Spirit

Lazy Day * (winter) 39th / Day off √
    - Sleep
    - Games
    - Eat Popcorn
    - TV Season Premiere

Winterfest * (winter) 46th / Day off √
    - Decorate
    - Festive Spirit
    - Open presents
    - Grand Meal
    - Father Winter

New Year's Eve * (winter) 56th / Day off x
    - Party Spirit
    - Make Resolutions
    - Countdown to Midnight
    - Drinking
    - Fireworks

Just for fun... Bob Day
    - Baking
    - Bar-B-Que
    - Go Bowling
    - Polar Bear Plunge
    - Drinking

I made a save file with all of these holidays and now when I start a new save, I'll load up that save file instead. Then I use 'Save as'. All of my older save files I have to add those holidays which is a pain but at least I have everything saved to a txt file. I try to update it with any changes I've made. If I play on short lifespan, I reduce the amount of holidays because then it feels like there's something to celebrate every other day and that sad moodlet can be annoying if my sims don't celebrate. :p

Mods I use: Random Holiday Traditions , School Holiday , & More Holiday Icons by LittleMsSam.
    Make Hidden Holiday Traditions Selectable on MTS by a different creator.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    edited September 2021
    If you're bored, you could try opening up the menu of possible holiday traditions and building a holiday off one or two you don't usually use.
    What would a Polar Bear Plunge holiday be like? Airing of Grievances?
  • Options
    Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I usually have the same set of holidays in all my saves. Except for the default ones I have two that involves traveling to other worlds and I especially enjoy them. One is Summer Day in the first week of summer (I play on 14 days schedule) and it only has two traditions go on vacation and water fun - destination is Sulani. My sims go there to rental lot and basically do everything that island offers. They book for two, max three days so nobody gets bored. Another one is BBQ Day at the end of summer. Destination is Granite Falls no surprise. My sims go camping and traditions I choose is go on vacation, tell stories, interact with fire and grill. They also spent there around 3 days, that’s why both of these holidays I set on Friday so they can have “long weekend” lol. Usually holiday in Granite Falls turns out much more pleasant than Sulani one as they just chill by the fire and tell ghost stories, even toddlers have fun. And Sulani is more like a grind to check out all the activities. Except for that I make Halloween too, but nothing really special about it. I don’t put anything more because I want holidays to be rare occasions and I don’t want to be annoyed by them.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    edited September 2021
    In one of my saves, I had a Founders Day which was the first day of the save file every year. The traditions were: Remembrance, Grand meal, and a few others I've forgotten. It was a legacy rotation save, and it was a way to commemorate my founding sim.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    edited September 2021
    Unfortunately, I play in Danish. Here are three of mine, anyway.

New Year:
    simnyt10.jpg

Easter:
    simpzi10.jpg

A festive similar to Halloween:
    simfas10.jpg

For Harvestfest, gnomes were replaced by telling stories.

• Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    My general advice is to use fewer traditions. I use 3 max. I don’t like having a big long checklist that makes every family feel the same. That’s burned me out on holidays in the past.

I like how vague “invite guests” can be. Invite family? Friends? Maybe throw that one in somewhere.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    So I hardly ever play with the calendar. Does the holiday I set in one household stay the same for all households? Is the calendar universal? I totally avoid changing the calendar because I was under the impression that I would have to do that for every family, adding on an extra year of work to get this save started.

And for me, a IRL person who hates holidays, I would probably remove almost all of it and create some fun things that make me want to take my sims out on the town.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I do Easter with Egg Hunt, Flower Bunny, Grand Meal (I have some of my restaurants with the Grand Meals on the menu for my single Sims -- still counts!) and Attend Holiday Ceremony. And I do New Year's Day with Polar Bear Plunge and Watch Sports (since here in the US there's a lot of college football on that day).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GwastenMicaGwastenMica Posts: 76 Member
    Great thread! I hadn't realized I was also getting weary of holidays. Playing rotational means different families celebrate each year, but it still gets old. I love some of the ideas for different activities especially.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    In realistic saves in particular I almost always have Christmas Eve and Boxing Day as well as Winterfest/Christmas Day. I have New Year's Eve and New Year's Day and always make sure the resolutions are set for New Year's Day, especially for rotational games
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    My favorite of my holidays is "cozy day," which takes place the day after Harvestfest. Growing up, my mom and my sister and I spent the day after Thanksgiving hanging around the house and decorating for Christmas, so that's kind of what I have my sims do. The traditions for the holiday are: baking, watching Sports, decorating, and cleaning.
  • Options
    Mentioned this in another thread, but I made a holiday out of the first day of basketball season (second Tuesday in autumn)—Watch Sports and Grill Food are the traditions.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    hailexityhailexity Posts: 26 Member
    Similar to the post above, I added in a "Game Day" where they invite people over, grill food, watch sports, and drink.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited September 2021
    I use many of the traditional holidays in my country

New Years Eve
    Valentine’s Day
    Easter
    4th of July
    Halloween
    Thanksgiving
    Christmas
    All of these are days off and I I change up what I want them to do.

I have added

New Years Day They relax, tell stories (reminisce) make a New Years resolution,

Christmas Eve, I will usually invite people over for this Holiday and give gifts, along with a big dinner. Day off

BAKING DAY, a couple of days before Christmas, I’m thinking this will be extra fun now that you can group cook with children, I’m hoping you can group bake as well. Day off for this

2 or 3 day SABBATICALs ( I add a few days or so before I plan to have it ), where sims can do various things depending on the family….. write, enjoy the outdoors, invite friends over/party, go to granite falls to collect insects, go to Selvadorado to do archeology, work on parenthood projects, stuff like that. Days off for this.

I also use holidays as VACATIONS, if I want sims to go on a vacation I will add days called vacation a few days before I plan to send them, give them the days off and don’t have to worry about their jobs and school, they just need to travel ( or visit other lots ) these days. They can go just about anywhere for vacation as most of my worlds have at least one rental lot, if they don’t have the money, I can add a work bonus, or win free trip from work with money cheats, at least vacations aren’t taxed like goods bought for their home. Sometimes they will go to Silvadorado, Granite Falls, Mt.K,, Sulani, Del Sol Valley ( sure wish there were some beach lots there, but I did add a Mall there with an indoor water park in it ) or other worlds to check them out. There is even the small Penthouse in San Myshuno which is a rental.

Other holiday type things I have thought of where they take the day(s) off.

FUN DAY ( games at home, or on other lots, parks, bars, nightclubs, bowling, arcade, swimming, water sliding, picnics at the park, anywhere there are fun activities, with a day off for everyone

DATE NIGHT/DAY for couples with the day off because just going to a restaurant takes so long. Night clubs, lounges, beaches, parks are good for these too.

FAMILY REUNION DAY I have 4 brothers and sisters now split up into different homes, and they have a family club where they usually spend time together catching up on stuff, I have thought of making it a holiday for them.

CLUB DAY day off so they can enjoy a club day thoroughly.

SCOUTS TRIP/DAY. I have thought of merging my scouts for a day or few days with a Scout leader and sending them to a scouts headquarter for a day that I have above the karaoke bar in San Myshuno, with games, ice cream, parenthood projects, and even a speaker podium. I also made one of the rentals in Sivadorado with 8 single beds, some games, a nice big table, children’s science lab, ping pong etc.where I thought they could spend some quality time together, perhaps even work on badges together if possible, with the days off so they don’t have to worry about school..

Also, St. PATRICK’s day, going out for food snd drinks, wearing green, dancing, etc. Taking the day off.

I don’t use mods, so I wish EA would make it where we could take a school holiday/vacation where parents could still work. Or, we specify for one or more sims to have the holiday and others not have it. I also wish we could take a leave of a abscence from a job, I want my scientist to be able to have and raise a toddler without having to work, but also not have to give up her job completely, just take a leave of absence (without pay).

• Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I also wish we could take a leave of a abscence from a job, I want my scientist to be able to have and raise a toddler without having to work, but also not have to give up her job completely, just take a leave of absence (without pay).

You can call in sick and take vacation days.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I thought it would be fun to create a 'Work From Home' holiday for my Sims with careers. Especially for the Sims with toddlers. I throw in a couple of small activities that are easy to do, and they get a day off with pay while spending more time with the fam. I have a few CC traditions that I use to break up the monotony of using the same ones over and over, too. Some of those are pet-related, a few are family-related. But with the lockdowns that have been going on for almost two years, I wondered if we could simulate such a thing in the game. And it turns out we can.