Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Refresh for Outdoor Retreat Ideas Featuring Old Favorites

redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,052 Member
edited October 2023 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
Now that we made some fantastic strides for Spa Day I hope that we can in turn make some significant inroads for Outdoor Retreat. Here is my list for Outdoor Retreat. Much of what is being suggested involves just a bit of pack-integration that is perfectly fine to be unlockable if you have all the related packs.

SCROLL INTO THE COMMENTS THERE IS MORE

1st and foremost. IF Werewolves are introduced into the Sims 4, I think we should have a pack of Timber Wolves in Granite Falls. This is a callback to when you had to get nibbled by a wolf in Sims 2 in order to become a werewolf. The animal is fitting in this area. And seriously given the fact we already have dogs this won't be that hard on you. EDIT - Now that Werewolves are here I still want the Timber Wolves

66qxprgzl2i11.jpg
The Nibbling Wolf from Sims 2
hqdefault.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpZgquy8Wh4

***Many people on this post have mentioned the Hiking System from Snowy Escape and bringing it to this zone as well. I say most emphatically yes! Group Hiking, Taking the Dogs Hiking, Hiking with the Kiddos. Yes to it all.

Activities & Features

Additional Recipes
  • Chicken Pot Pie Recipe - From Bon Voyage Three Lakes - If we don't have it already
    chicken-pir-recipe.jpg
  • Fried Chicken with Mashed Potatoes & Green Beans
    9486924617_8852083354_b.jpg
  • Steak and Eggs
    steak-and-eggs.jpg
  • Corn Chowder
    5M3A8435.jpg
  • Smoked Bacon
    orig_recipe-20170108033225584890o1504.jpg
  • Smoked Salmon
    jc5c1pkaoyg11.jpg
  • Smoked Sausage
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Smoked Brisket
    9944c91b1611357b11d23d3353257db3.jpg
  • Homemade Smoked Beef Jerky
    beef-jerky-6.jpg?fit=1152%2C1204&ssl=1
  • Cornbread - Frankly I wouldn't mind if all the cornbread recipes applied to Baking. But I've been saying for ages that Baking should be UPDATED to a Base Game Skill and all the things that would be easier to find Baking to be found there.
    homemadecornbread3.jpg
  • Tomato Cornbread
    Glorys-Cornbread.jpg
  • Blueberry Cornbread with Honey
    blueberry-cornbread-8485-August-06-2018-7.jpg
  • Maple Syrup Snow Candy
    18fb0b081f1f3f09eae4bbe6b1760ecc.jpg
  • Maple Syrup Fudge
    9caa1e1820c9b50c8aa99b862306d187.jpg
  • Trail Mix
    Nutty-Berry-Trail-Mix_exps56502_TH2379800C04_27_3bC_RMS.jpg
  • Biscuits & Sausage Gravy - I'd like it if the biscuits were apart of the Baking Recipes and become an ingredient for this dish
    Country-Biscuits-Sausage-Gravy-1024x632.jpg

Buy
  • Dog House in the Log Cabin Style - Because people want dog houses. They want cooler dog beds too
    5a57204d17f894443492b797e8c81c88.jpg
  • Buffalo Plaid Pet Bed
    telluride-buffalo-plaid-bolster-dog-bed-36x27-in-red-black~p~275wf_01~1500.2.jpg
  • Cowhide Print Pet Bed
    Faux-Cowhide2-min.jpg
  • Buffalo Plaid Dog Sweater
    Buffalo-Plaid-Handknit-Alpaca-Dog-Sweater-2.jpg
  • Porch Swing - Different Styles pictured not just for Log Cabins
    master:ALF116.jpg
    2163903_2013i0201.jpg?itok=8GI_NKoG
    Beautiful-little-tikes-swing-in-Southwestern-Phoenix-with-Elevated-Deck-next-to-Porch-Swing-alongside-Sunbrella-Fabric-Slip-Covers-andRoof-Extension-Cover-.jpg
    70-Rethink-Your-Outdoor-Space-by-Channeling-This-Dreamy-Porch-Swing-12.jpg?fit=969%2C966&ssl=1
    fh02mar_02402_001.jpg
  • Water Canteen
    il_fullxfull.212021844.jpg
  • Hiking Stick
    hiking-sticks-banner.jpg
  • A Beary Good Friend Statue
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
  • The Sims 1 Bear Skin Rug (Thank You Simmingal)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgTMox-qsg
  • The Big Ol' Glory Tree Ring
    Big_Ol_Glory_Tree_Ring_Display.png
  • Cabinet or Medicine Cabinet for the Herbalism Remedies
    tumblr_o5s66rvqC71v9yuapo1_500.png
    FH17ONO_582_00_011.jpg
  • Cigar Store Indian
    aac1b1ccfb2a78b50a6eb3c2a47d80c2--cigar-store-indian-tree-carving.jpg
  • The Heinmity Column
    latest?cb=20131203012444&path-prefix=es
  • Huuuuge Bill Statue
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
  • The Mountain Man's Lighter Lamp
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
  • Not Really Antlers Display
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
  • Redwood Hot Tub
    4b3fd38d6e749c7e699702aac0f1a336.jpg
    f4dab85755374c7f68979f1c70aef109.jpg
  • Small Telescope
    MTS_Esmeralda-1517921-in-gameuse2.jpg
  • Survival of the Fittest Chandelier
    Thumbnail_300x300.png
  • A small Sims 1 - Vacation throwback
    MTS_AlexCroft-1692755-10-05-17_0-10-27.jpg
  • More cabin themed bedding in general would be nice
    boulder-creek-cabin-bed-set-queen-2.gif
  • Sofa in Cowhide Print
    solid_pine_loveseat_sofa_cowhide_leather_7_master.jpg?width=768
  • Smoker - and please make it work with (snaps to counters and comes in colors that compliment) already existing Outdoor Kitchen grills and counters
    643759i3_ts.jpg

Build - Frankly the rental properties in Outdoor retreat are UGLY. The wall textures are just clapboard and not log cabin, which if we were trying to make something beautiful log cabin would have been better.

1. Log Cabin Wall Textures
stunning-rustic-log-cabin-style-home-design-with-unique-poles-and-stone-base-foundation-and-two-story-and-lighting-in-the-middle-of-lush-vegetation.jpg
2. Beautiful
Log-Cabin-Home.jpg
3. Large Stone Fireplaces that we can place a TV above
adorable-log-cabin-style-home-design-with-log-wall-and-log-ceiling-and-hardwood-floor-and-rustic-stone-fireplace-and-cream-seating-and-patterned-area-rug-and-glass-window.jpg
4. If you add cars and garages add a garage door this attractive
staining-options3.jpg
5. Post & Beam Gables - Actually Gables in general would be great
Products-Post-and-Beam-7.jpg&w=1600&h=900&zc=1&a=c&q=80
6. Front Door for a Log Cabin
carved-log-cabin-entrance-doors-log-cabin-porches-lrg-dab34377f497a046.jpg
516fa743e37b98805f5f61abbc268c3d.jpg
traditional-entry.jpg
7. Stairase, Fence, Columns, Railings
f3775dc6a80c4d34ecc8949a6115.jpeg
d-657x1024.jpg
ba31a5240f3bdb03_2120-w500-h666-b0-p0--rustic-staircase.jpg
rustic-exterior.jpg
Green%2Bcedar%2Bscreen%2Bdoor.jpg
d0e3a4781e4f55853e0e349befe8044c--log-homes-exterior-design-living.jpg
8. Ground Edging as seen here
800px-The_Sims_2_Bon_Voyage_Screenshot_05.jpg
9. Log Cabin Windows (Thank you Mod the Sims for the Sims 2 pictures)
MTS_iCad-1266560-colors.jpg
MTS_iCad-1266561-colors.jpg
10. Porch Screens
cfab6124b2ae83a775779ab3a43aff83.jpg
p3-screen-windows-and-door.jpg

“All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
Post edited by redrogue60 on

Comments

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,935 Member
    edited September 2021
    Yessss to all of this
    but I want telescope like this
    tumblr_inline_p50003SKLR1vybmiw_400.jpg
    and with color option --->
    w-600h-450-2880947.jpg

aaand I also want
    • real bears
    •swimmable lake
    •world made liveable just like other worlds cause at this point of game vacation restriction is rather irritating

we could also have bear rug as it has made appearance in few older sims games
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgTMox-qsg
    I'd especially love it with interactions
    Claire-The-Bear.jpg also especially fun in brown swatch

and bear phase sims could be very sad when they see it in house

oh and also that moose head
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,052 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    Yessss to all of this
    but I want telescope like this
    tumblr_inline_p50003SKLR1vybmiw_400.jpg
    and with color option --->
    w-600h-450-2880947.jpg

aaand I also want
    • real bears
    •swimmable lake
    •world made liveable just like other worlds cause at this point of game vacation restriction is rather irritating

we could also have bear rug as it has made appearance in few older sims games
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgTMox-qsg
    I'd especially love it with interactions
    Claire-The-Bear.jpg also especially fun in brown swatch

and bear phase sims could be very sad when they see it in house

oh and also that moose head

You know I forgot about the bear skin rug from Sims 1. It was quite a time ago. I concur
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,387 Member
    Good ideas here are mine

Hammocks both single and double. Double hammocks for couples to kiss and cuddle.

RV's

Make the waterfall lake swimmable

Boats that hold 2 sims

Hiking like we have in Snowy Escape
  • Mak27Mak27 Posts: 1,113 Member
    Bear rug

Wood chopping

Axe throwing

Log rolling

Swimming in the lake

Slap dance
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    Based on the refresh we got from Spa Day, I think new animations will be kept to a minimum; all we got was a new nail painting animation. So taking that into consideration here's what I'd like to see added to an Outdoor Retreat refresh.

1. Camping outfits for toddlers. Since toddlers didn't exist at the time this pack released, they have no camping gear of their own. I'd love to see outfits with little back-packs like the ones from SE and CoL, a little bear onesy, and hiking boots and flannel shirts.
    2. Unlock the world or allow insects to spawn in other worlds. I'd love to live in Granite falls, but if that is not possible for some reason, I'd like to be able to collect insects in all worlds so that herbalism can be more useful.
    3. More wildlife. They can even reuse the foxes and rabbits from CoL for all I care. Maybe if you befriend them they will bring you an insect, herb, or fish to help with your collection.
    4. Hiking. If they could implement the hiking system from SE to work in Granite falls it might make it more fun for groups to do together. They could even make different types of hikes that would produce different results: a foraging hike where they would autonomously gather herbs and insects, a relaxing hike that would relieve negative moodlets, or an exploratory hike where they may run into dangerous creepy crawlies but also have a chance of finding a rare or valuable item.
    5. Update or add new furniture options. Being the first GP, the BB and CAS are not as nice looking as more recent assets. I know they didn't really touch any of the old stuff in Spa Day's refresh, so I think our best bet is new versions of the originals.
    6. Gathering wood to make a fire. Sims would have to forage around for wood, and if they gather enough, they'd be able to create a fire on any open piece of ground, on or off lot. This is something both kids and toddlers could help with.
    7. A new activity. Be it axe throwing or archery, this pack could really use more for our sims to do. I'd personally like it to be something all ages could do together, but I'm not exactly sure what that would be.
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited September 2021
    I also would like to see the bear skin rug, double and single hammocks, log cabins, panning for gold and the arm wrestling. I think the Native American statue might be controversial and stereotypical.I also would like the world of Granite Falls unlocked, so that way people can live there and enjoy the outdoors, the wilderness as long as they want.

How about singing around the campfire with someone playing the guitar and being told scary stories? That could be an outdoor activity for all ages. I also like the suggestion of backpacks.
    edited September 2021
    EliteGirl wrote: »
    I also would like to see the bear skin rug, double and single hammocks, log cabins, panning for gold and the arm wrestling. I think the Native American statue might be controversial and stereotypical.I also would like the world of Granite Falls unlocked, so that way people can live there and enjoy the outdoors, the wilderness as long as they want.

How about singing around the campfire with someone playing the guitar and being told scary stories? That could be an outdoor activity for all ages. I also like the suggestion of backpacks.

You can actually see such statues in many touristy places still. Maybe it might ruffle some feathers but who knows everything ruffles feather these days.

As for the bear rug. I'll add it to my list so that it's seen immediately. It's the least I can do for those who promptly added their ideas to my thread.

• ArarineArarine Posts: 252 Member
    We also need a lot of new camping menu and this is opportunity for more woodworking. I see some add on cc for this pack. Would be great chance to make furniture to complete set. Also We need sleeping bag (and snowy escape futon is great too)
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
  • mxHJDmxHJD Posts: 7 New Member
    Yes to all of OP’s suggestions! Only one to add - perhaps bring fairies back??
    mxHJD wrote: »
    Yes to all of OP’s suggestions! Only one to add - perhaps bring fairies back??

I actually thought Bigfoot and wolves are a better fit here. I would be very please to get Bigfoot for just this and add Timberwolves with Werewolves. I thought Fairies were a much better fit for Cottage Living.
  • TuskorTuskor Posts: 13 New Member
    OMG yes to all
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Making the lake open for swimming is my top priority for this pack camping without being able to swim in the lake is just horrible. Things like group hiking and summer camp system for kids are also things I'd love to see if this pack is ever refreshed.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Tellie86Tellie86 Posts: 36 Member
    edited September 2021
    I have been thinking a lot on how to update outdoor retreat.
    xPIppfQ.jpg
  • kad1116akad1116a Posts: 12 New Member
    I love it. Outdoor Retreat was the first game pack I believe and all of this would make it so must better. Plus bring back the bear rug. I'm not sure about move phases though as I believe it would of with werewolves and werewolves need to be fleshed out don't want it getting the Aliens or PlantSims treatment.
  • SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    There are a lot of interesting suggestions here! Some look a little ambitious, but it never hurts to throw ideas out there.

Personnally, here are the things I'd want :

Cross-pack functionality for the herbalism skill : Allow us to make sunscreen to prevent sunburn with Seasons, and make new recipes or update current ones so they can help with the creatures in Jungle Adventures and Snowy Escape, for instance.

Updated world : I'd love for the world to be livable, now that we can put rental lots anywhere, and if it's possible, to make the lake swimmable (maybe with the addition of canoes or kayaks?).

Extra activities, though those would likely require new animations (some more complex than others, in these suggestions). It could be things like archery, axe-throwing, "obstacle courses" (crawling under nets, climbing a more natural-looking wall, stepping on logs, swinging from a rope into water or some such) (this one might also fit in a Strangerville update, considering the military career), whittling (new woodworking items including some wooden toys and the ability to make some of the smaller items without the woodworking station). A new wind instrument would be amazing (harmonica or recorder). I'd like a portable telescope added.

Extra build-buy assets (the pack was kind of light on those, and more furniture to build and furnish cool-looking log cabins would be awesome.
    edited August 2022
    Just a couple of add-ons to this Refresh Idea
    • Archery
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n7EpUkiN-g
    • Scouting events here for the kids
      1. Build a Tent
      2. Build a Fire
      3. First Aid
      4. Pet First Aid
      5. Bird Song Identification
      6. Identifying Animal Tracks
      7. Identifying plants - Herbs & Berries vs toxic plants i.e. Herbalism but also things like Poison Oak and Ivy
        Poison Ivy
        Poison_ivy_in_May_beside_Appalachian_Trail_in_Rockfish_Gap_VA_area_1.jpg
      8. Tug of War
        maxresdefault.jpg
    • Skip Stones
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B5rSIdutMI
    • Camping Gear for Toddlers & Kids
      cdfff3e42b7a9a61d16a4b61f69c9396.jpg
      th?id=OIP.yhrKr4GVBxopnsPFQMnDJgHaHa&pid=Api&P=0
      Toddler-Outfit.jpg
    • The hiking from Snowy Escape
      hiking2.jpg
    • The things from this picture of Sims 1 House Party (list after the pictures)
      the.jpg
      7010.jpg
      • The Cuckoo Clock - Please let it chime the hour or like in Sims 2 every 6 hours
        sdf.jpg
      • The Moose Head
      • The hay bale chairs (not necessarily for Outdoor retreat)
      • The Cowhide Chair exactly as shown
      • The wall mounted Bull Horns
      • The bundled corn stalks but not really for the camping area
      • The woven rug
    • Chicken Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes
      chicken-fried-steak-2.jpg
    • Smoked Beef Ribs with Mac & Cheese
      o.jpg
    • Waffles
      • Blueberry
      • Chocolate Chip
      • Pecan
      • Plain
      1611142.jpg
    • Woodpecker
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6XOyUey4nQ
    • Owl
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hG6465r0dQ
    • Deer
      Cannibal-Deer-the-sims-3-37370392-1024-768.jpg
    Post edited by redrogue60 on
    Another small addition to my Outdoor Retreat refresh idea

Outdoor showers - Also fabulous for Mediterranean villas as well

trees-and-tiled-wooden-outside-shower.jpg

outdoor-shower-ideas-4158157-hero-ad0b958d62354709ad22c694082b676a.jpg

Phenomenal-outdoor-shower-that-represents-glamour-and-comfort.jpeg

16-luxurious-outdoor-shower.jpg
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Lawn mowing jobs, w/robotic mowers you can buy and rent/rent out.
  • ArarineArarine Posts: 252 Member
    Two version of Hammock. One is big enough for 2 people for cuddle and another is portable one that only for 1 person also more woodworking
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please
    Ararine wrote: »
    Two version of Hammock. One is big enough for 2 people for cuddle and another is portable one that only for 1 person also more woodworking

I would like two version of the hammock but more in looks. One for the camping area and one for more tropical areas.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I would also like a camp for kids and camp counselors to be teens with ya and a has a camp cost and it only lasts like a week or two. Learn skills from camp like pitching a tent, starting fire, arts and crafts, hiking, swimming, going on a boat, bird watching, spot animal tracks.
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    I would like to have what looks like natural showers/waterfalls with water coming down from hot springs for hot showers or from colder water for cold showers. Natural hot springs where buckets of water could be filled and put in tubs or sims could bathe in the hot springs or just soak to relax.

I'd like more cooking options over a campfire or fireplace (in a cabin). I'd love to have medieval style spits and racks that can be set up to cook over a campfire.

I love the ideas right from the get-go. The glamping, yurts, etc. Wolves, deer, critters, more pet beds/dog houses.
    Porch swings would be great.

Torches that Sims can carry around to see in the dark would be nice. (I've been playing Medieval Dynasty lately and really like the whole outdoors thing). That made me think it would be cool to set bird traps and rabbit traps and such to catch wild animals. They can be caught live and you can choose to free them, keep them as pets, or eat them.
  • CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    I would only want bird watching if cats were allowed to do so, complete with kitty chatter.
    (dogs too)
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    Cats birdwatching would be great. I had a cat that would stare at birds out the window and make a chittering noise at them. So having cats and dogs notice birds would be cool.