Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pack Refresh: City Living (a pretty bare pack)

Apartments: LET US MAKE APARTMENTS PLEASE!!!!! You know what I love about apartments? I can turn one lot into 3 or even 4. The one thing I dislike about a lot of the worlds in this game is the lack of lots. If I could go to say Brindleton Bay and throw down some apartments that could have 4 occupants in one lot it would give me more spaces to finally put some community lots. I like to put a lot of sims in my world because there's more potential for story and I like to see my sims walking around over EA's sims. I could take 4 lots and turn them into 16 with a 4 unit apartment. I'm sure they could figure out a way to do it and not only would it give us the opportunity to get more sims in a single town, building apartments is a new building opportunity for builders. We could build row houses, condos, townhomes, brownstones and on and on. I could turn some districts in neighborhoods into completely new places with a different feel. It would also be nice if one of my apartments could be a store. This would work especially well with row houses. Have a few townhomes that are apartments and maybe the one on the end is a convenience store or something like that. Just some type of community lot.

Bands: I think City Living is also a good chance to add in bands with a new venue type for bands to play. You could of course design it how you want, so to look like a bar, club etc. Maybe a lot trait instead of venue type? Then you could turn a club/bar or whatever into a place a band can play. Different styles of music as well. I'd like to see a lounge that has a singer and a piano player that are a band. City Living is a good pack for this for a few reasons. The pack didn't have a lot in general and it came with the singing skill and street performing. Bands could basically work like Sims 3 bands. Ask other sims to join, practice at your house or maybe create a lot somewhere in your game that resembles a practice spot and use the club feature to get everyone there. Add a band practice thing to do in clubs. Add a band practice to the "things to do" tab in your created club. Then you could book gigs. Either you get calls for it or you call one of the venues that allow bands to play.

Romance. This pack is a chance to introduce some more romance options. Online dating would be nice. Maybe a blind date option. I'd really love to see more consequences with dating and marriage, affairs. I have sent my married sims out to a restaurant with a sim they are having an affair with and the spouse comes rolling in with a friend and nothing happens. I think sometimes they even stand at the table and talk. Even when my sim is flirting with the date and ON A DATE. It's weird and in the past city packs have always had some romance improvements so this is a perfect pack to refresh romance with. I'd like to be able to confess to cheating and have there be an option for the spouse that was cheated on to kick the sim out. The kids could be upset etc. Maybe give a new option between married sims to be "separated" with the hopes of fixing the marriage. Would give you something to do, win that husband or wife back. Make it hard though. If sims break up or are separated from an encounter with an unfaithful sim, it should be hard to get them back together. They may even need marriage counseling, which brings me to my last idea.

Careers:

Therapist: I think an active career as a therapist would be fun. Marriage counseling, individual counseling, pet counseling. I would love to send my sims to marriage counseling. A new lot type for a private practice OR they could work in the hospital? I think a private practice would be the best option. I think maybe a Get To Work refresh would be better first if they could do a refresh and add in an option to have a home business. A therapist with a home office or a private practice would be great. Actually in Get To Work maybe the option for Doctors to have a private practice would be great. It could work like the vets office just with people. Anyways people could come into the therapist office. Sign in, wait to be seen. As a career you could just ask the sims questions and so on. Playing a sim that visits the therapist could work kind of the same way. You sit down on the couch, instead of getting questions asked you have a wheel of complaints to tell the therapist. You could make it a weekly session thing with maybe with a schedule you set up each week or it could be a once time thing.

Model: It's the city, we needed a model career. Don't know if it could be active or not but it would be great if it could. Your sim could show up on certain lots and get some pictures taken.

I think that's about it. I feel like City Living was a pretty empty pack and it definitely needs a refresh. There is always a lot of new activities and things to do in city expansions and this one just wasn't very packed imo. The festivals are fun once and then they're just whatever. It felt like a lot that usually came with past city packs was left out of this one. Maybe this seems like a lot to add in but I don't think it is. I think it would make the pack much more attractive to someone that maybe hasn't bought it yet. It adds good gameplay and value to the price.

Lastly-Please let us remove the bad stuff from apartments. I don't want mice in my apartment. It's not fun, it's annoying.

Comments

• QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I don’t think I’m alone in wanting a singing career. Maybe one branch that needs singing and an instrument, and one with singing and writing?
  • sourapfelsourapfel Posts: 18 Member
    To be honest, I'm finding it hard to come up with things that a CL refresh should bring to the game. Maybe that's because a pack focused on living in a city, for a game with so many limitations, was just a bizzarre choice and they would have been better off scraping the idea altogether.

All things I would like to be added to CL are impossible due to engine limitations or their apprehension regarding animation. I just know they don't have enough resources to add features that require a lot of animating, like for example allowing sims to actually play basketball together, not just shoot hoops at the same time. So won't even wish for that, but at least allowing players to freely modify apartments would be nice. Expanding the festivals would also be welcome as they rely on almost exclusively base game content and didn't introduce enough new experiences.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    edited September 2021
    Hmm...

It would be great to have Needs TLC things have available for every lot. Right now, you can have mice on any lot with Cats and Dogs and roaches near trash cans with Eco Lifestyle. But the electrical box and water pipes that can be added would be great.

Maybe neighborhood editing tool so I can add food stalls to other neighborhoods that don't have them.

I agree about online dating. The city is so big after all. But I think that modeling career (active one no less) could fit better with Get Famous as there is outfitting stand and stylist chair. And therapist fits better to Get to Work expansion pack.

It is really hard to suggest ideas to improve City Living...
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2021
    GeekCon is borked anytime the weather is bad - the computers and games need to be covered under some kind of carport or canopy tent. A canopy tent rug would be great to have under rugs anyway - and it should work as a roof too.

More club activities are needed as well to support later packs - like magic users activities/spell casting or potion making for instance. Plus more kids activities in general, and maybe even some kids games, like yo-yos (low skill, the yoyo drops and spins in place) or jump-roping. More board games would be great too: checkers, Monopoly (maybe a double deal for money making with EA - if Parker Bros puts out an actual Sims themed Monopoly game, and the Sims adds Monopoly for Sims in the game), Candyland, Battleship, Tic-tac-toe for kids.

New objects like a newspaper box. Maybe still no home delivery, but they could at least be bought from the box or newspaper/magazine stand.
    (The magazine shop could look/work like a swag shop at a festival except permanent, except maybe during festivals). The news-stand maybe could also sell posters to Sims. A costume jewelry stand would be great too.

Expansion of the computer to add "Watch Simtube video", or "Comment on Simtube video" to the menu (shades of Get Famous except no fame).

Pick up litter should also be added like it was to Sulani. Cities get very dirty, and litter is often more common in downtown areas than beaches. (Finding pennies/simoleons while picking up litter would be a great bonus, along with a way to possibly make an area more green if Eco Living is also owned.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,387 Member
    A City Living Refresh needs to bring the photobooths back.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Some things id like to see
    - buildable apartments
    - functional elevators
    - singing career branch
    - expanded critic, social media and politician career, I'd like them to have more of an impact around the city world similar to the conservationist career from island living.
    - I'd like to see some of the lot traits/challenges patched into the base game to round out the selection in base game a bit more.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited September 2021
    1. Multipurpose lots (ex. Spa + Gym + Café)
    2. Option to Combine Retail & Residential on 1 lot (start a Home business)
    3. Build your own Functional Townhouses & Apartments (multiple households on 1 lot).
    4. Make your own Festivals (Select town square + Activities, similar to the Holiday system, Seasons EP)

5. Functional & Ownable Rabbit Holes (A lot of the shell buildings in ex. The spice market could be made into Changeable & Functional Rabbit holes). Become the Business owner & Manage: Supply / Opening hours / Prices / Employees (playable)
    A. Chose tag for the building: Cinema / Pharmacy / Store / Tourist info (unique interactions!)
    B. Select the supply (ex. Outdoor equipment / Small Pets / Groceries / etc)
    C. Chose Symbol (ex. 🛒) and Name the building (ex. Spice Market’s Groceries)
    D. The symbol will show on the map in Map view (hoover over it to show the name).
    CLOTHING STORE 👖👕👟
    • Clothes cost money in CAS (Toggle on / off in the settings)
    • Clothes being functional (ex. Raincoats + Hats + Rubber boots protect from rain)
    • Buy locked CAS items (not always available can run out of stock)

NEW OBJECTS
    • Sewing machine - Sew clothes for free if having the required wool (Llama or Cotton plant).
    • Dye wool (Llama or Cotton plant) in different colors with dye (make on the stove, require specific ingredients).
    DRINKS & JUICE SHOP 🍹🍾🍸
    • Simple Living include drinks
    • Juice from Mixology table have similar effects as Fizzy juice (only for Teen – Elders)
      Can give negative moodlets the day after.
    • Supply: Different Bottles for Mixology / Bottles of Nectar / Boxes of Fizzy juice / Non alco options
    PHARMACY 💊🧴💉
    • Improved Illnesses (SIM CHALLENGES tab)
    • Get a prescription (certain amount) from visiting your Doctor (Home visit & Visitable hospitals)
    • Supply: Different sort of medicine & pills (ex. Lactose intolerance pills)
    GROCERY STORE 🛒🥫🧻
    Supply: Bath soaks & Bath muds (Spa Day, buy instead of clicking on the bathtub) / Cans / 🧻 / Cleaning equipment /
    Washing powder / Groceries for Quick meals (Chicken Nuggets / Carton with orange juice / Peanut butter)
    OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT ⛺️🎣🛷
    Supply: Tents / Deodorants / Energy bars / Sleeping bags / Fishing rods / Sledge / Portable outdoor stove
    SPORT EQUIPMENT ⛸🏓⚽
    Supply: Soccer balls / Basket balls / Snowboards / Roller skates / Climbing gear / Home Gym Equipment etc
    TAKE AWAY BAKERY 🍰☕️🧃
    (Perfect for your picnic!)
    Supply: Big pack with cups of Coffee / Tea / Cordial (Multiple servings)
    Sandwiches / Cookies & Sweet things
    GARDEN & FLOWER SHOP 💐🌹🌱
    Supply: Garden equipments / Fertilizer / Seeds (Simple Living, no more clicking on pots to buy) / Flowers & Arrangements (Seasons EP) Roses (for Holiday tradition & Romantic interaction)
    HARDWARE STORE 🪓🪚🔨
    Supply: Upgrade parts (+eco upgrade parts!) / Gizmos / Handiness equipment / Woodworking equipment / Saw / Chainsaw / Axe (chop trees & cut wood = Simple Living Fire wood)
    CINEMA 📽️
    • Show various genres of movies
    • Watching movies at the Cinema will give sims unique Moodlets + Sentiments + Unique interactions (ex. discussing the movie afterwards)
    • Get Famous EP: Actors can go to the Premiere (if completed a movie):
      Walk the red carpet / Get interviewed / Meet up with Director & co-stars / Sign autographs / Get moodlets from watching their performance (influenced by traits).
    • Get Famous EP: Sims can go Premieres to watch the Movie and meet the Actor.
    • Get Famous EP: Sims in the Freelance Journalism career can get Gigs: Interview Actor (name) at Premiere / Review new Movie

FREE BASE GAME UPDATE
    1. Favorite / Disliked Movie genre added to the Favorites / Dislikes menu
    2. Watching movies added as an Favorite / Dislikes activity
    TOURIST INFO 🗺️
    • Supply: Souvenirs / Cameras / Maps
    • Get info on Festivals / Competitions / Special events
    • Pay for Train / Subway / Bus tickets
    • Get assigned to a VACATION GOAL
      Want some Direction & Challenges on your vacation? Sign up on a VACATION GOAL! You can choose from 5 different categories depending on what suits your stay. You will get assigned to multiple tasks (depending on the length of your stay) that are randomized from the category you chose. The tasks are random and therefore result in endless variations.

1. ROMANTIC SINGLE (find a match!)
      2. ROMANTIC COUPLE (keep a match!)
      3. ADVENTURE (Choose ONE or MULTIPLE sims)
      4. NATURE (Choose ONE or MULTIPLE sims)
      5. GET TOGETHER (Friendly relationships, Choose MULTIPLE sims, ex. Group of friends / Family)

REWARDS from VACATION GOALS
      Sentiment + Moodlet + Cash reward + Satisfaction points + 1 Unlockable
      Se more: SCANDINAVIAN / NORDIC PACK - AURORA SKIIES 2.0
    6. Floor Tile that turn a room into a Functional Rabbit Hole (ex. build a house on top of a Rabbit Hole Cinema).

7. New Lot Trait: WORKPLACE (Functional office!)
    • New Lot Trait: Workplace (ex. on A park / an Office building)
    • Select which Careers that are Linked to the lot.
    • Sims in these Careers will spawn on this lot and work at their work hours. Some sims can spawn after their work hours to work overtime (Higher chance if the sim is: Ambitious / Work alcoholic / Responsible / etc).
    • Select a Workplace for your sim and choose Work At Prefered Lot option when sending your sim to work. This will send the sim to the selcted lot +multiple Daily Tasks to complete

8. GET TOGETHER EP: Karaoke added as a Club Activity

9. A Rabbit Hole Stadium +2 rival Basket teams and an overhaul of the Athlete career (Get signed to a team and complete Competition & Sponsor gigs) REFRESH THE CAREER SYSTEM (THREAD + POLL)

10. Full control of Lot Challenges / Lot Traits / Lot Advantages (new category ex. Eco lot). This means: No Needs TLC / Rats if not chosen as a Lot Challenge.
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    @Vagenius And yes to a Therapist career, it’s THE perfect career for sims 4 (The Emotion system! Sentiments!). But I would rather see it fully expanded in it’s own pack. I want to see depth to such a career.

I made a pack idea on Therapy & Therapist career with Personality sliders / Memories / Consequences (on Relationships & Sims life experiences). I would also like to see Therapy for Sims / Families / Couples (love the idea with Pet therapy! 😻).
    Here is the pack idea if you want to check it out: LIFE STRUGGLES PACK
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Great ideas!!! @carpe_diem 🤭🤭🤭
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • KatzcKatzc Posts: 506 Member
    @carpe_diem I love that workplace idea!
  • VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    @carpe_diem I love all of your ideas. I have wanted an active therapist career for so long. I feel like it would have been the best idea for Sims 4 because they are so into the "feelings" of the sims. I would like them to let our sims have home businesses though and introduce a new lot type for our therapists that ran a bit like the vet. I think, like I mentioned that doctors could also be utilized in an update like that. A private practice lot type would be perfect for a therapist or a doctor.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,831 Member
    Vagenius wrote: »
    Lastly-Please let us remove the bad stuff from apartments. I don't want mice in my apartment. It's not fun, it's annoying.
    Can this not be done already by going to build mode, opening the lot traits panel, and removing the "Needs TLC" trait?

• VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    edited September 2021
    @mightysprite I don't know. I haven't tried to do it in so long. Did they fix it?

Ok so I just went into an apartment and no you can't get rid of the Needs TLC trait. At least I can't.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,372 Member
    There is an issue with the cockroaches in the apartments. I repartitioned an apartment and the new wall went straight through the invisible cockroach spawner. As a result I now have cockroach problem in two rooms but the spawner is not accessible and due placing and routing issues my sim can do nothing about it. Would be nice if they made them editable to some extent.
  • viola-illyriaviola-illyria Posts: 182 Member
    Singing career would be fantastic. Perhaps branching into Pop Star and Opera Singer?

Bands! Even TS2 had the option for quasi-band interactions. I'm sure TS4 can do it. But, as I said in the GT thread, this might be better as a pack.