Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What would you rather pay for new packs or upgrades for old packs?

If EA started to selling upgrades for old packs or continued with Kits, GP or EP what would you rather have? As for me I rather pay for upgrades that would improve the current GP instead of getting bugged new packs, where I don't kmow what we are getting

Comments

• Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Both. I'd get bored if there were no new packs to buy besides those stupid BB kits.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    edited September 2021
    EA won't be selling upgrades to older packs. Upgrades are free to those who own the pack already.

If someone doesn't own an older pack, buying a new or old pack makes no difference whatsoever. Both would offer a new experience to the player anyway.

I'd like the team to focus on refreshing older packs AND working on new content. They should have a big enough team and budget to do all those things.

Well Captain that is the question, consider this; you buy a basepack and like this and want to improve it, then you can buy an upgrade pack so you can comtinie play the pack that you loved instead of waitng for a pack of unknown content
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'm not at all interested in buying upgrades to packs I've already bought. I'm not super crazy about the kits concept either, but at least it's not so completely obnoxious to me. As for your mysterious "unknown content," there is no such animal here. By the time we're ready to get it, we're gonna know what it is.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    So, these refreshes we already know are free updates to past content, but if you are asking what we would do... It really depends on the details.

Now, I do think many people would complain about paid upgrades. That is as DLC for DLC as you can get, which seems to be the soapbox I see stood on most often. It may still sell well like MFP, though. DLC for DLC does not really bother me as a concept in of itself, and Sims 4 is not exactly trailblazing the concept either.

However, it really comes down to content versus price for which I would prefer. If paid upgrades fixed all my qualms with the packs I have issues with, then obviously I want those and depending on the price I might just be happy to have them with all past negative feelings put to rest. I would also obviously want those upgrades instead of new packs I am not interested in, but that is the thing: we won't really know until we get it.

As for bugs, they're 100% coming either way. New or reworked or whatever. There is absolutely no reason to think that paid upgrades will be any less buggy than base game updates or new packs. So no reason to prefer one or the other there either.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    Free upgrades are better than paid new expansions which are better than paid upgrades, IMO of course, your mileage may vary. Forced upgrades that are charges (as in, you couldn't use the original pack content without paying for an upgrade to a pack) would be the end of the line with EA for me.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    ApricusApricus Posts: 672 Member
    Both. IMO Island Living needs some more done with it. I know it’s one of the “newer” packs but it was so disappointing. I have to say it was the most I got hyped about a pack, bought it shortly after release, and was bored in around 2 hours. I use mermaids frequently though. Spa Day refresh is very nice and welcomed.
    As for the new packs...I’m always welcome to new occult’s. I assume they’ll due a werewolf gamepack and I hope they do it justice.
    ZjzmtTb.jpg
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Why should I have to pay for upgrades to packs I already own?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2021
    Paying for upgrades to packs you already own makes no sense so this isn't even a viable question.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Nope, not interested in spending money to "upgrade" something I've already spent money on. That falls into the microtransaction aspect in my eyes ....

"Want the ability to do mani-pedis in your spa? You can! It's yours for the bargain price of just $2.99!"
    "Would you like to enrich your gameplay with a Wellness Aspiration? No Problem! Just give us $2.99 and it's all yours!"

And so on, so yeah ..... No! Definitely something I would never, ever do
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    The upgrades should be free and the new paid packs should be better tested so they aren’t buggy.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    I wouldn't want to pay for the updates on packs that I've already paid for. Updates should always be free.
  • Options
    SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2021
    This is like asking, "would you prefer to pay for bugs to be fixed, or for new content". Bug fixes and improvements to EXISTING packs for those who own them should be FREE. Now, if they wanted to add exclusive content bonuses, especially new and additional bonuses each month, for subscribing to EA play (like the Prima games computer for those who bought the guide), that would be different. (PS - dear EA, I STILL want to see The Sims Complete Collection and The Sims 2 Ultimate collection available in EA play.)
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    In that case I wouldn't pay for anything. Because paying for pack upgrade is a robbery. I won't pay twice for one thing.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I'll take the free pack refreshes with new packs hopefully refreshed from the get go and by that I mean not empty of content.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Kinda a mute question since we get refreshes for free (as it should be), so really nobody has to make that decision.
    Also just look at the outrage that came with the release of My First Pet Stuff and you got your answer.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    StuffyMarxStuffyMarx Posts: 330 Member
    I have to agree that asking people to pay twice for something is pretty underhanded. Fortunately I don't believe it will come to that. The Sims is a bit of a cash cow for EA, so they can afford a bit of dev time on older content. Also, by refreshing this older content, they may be able to get some sales to people who skipped it on release. I didn't get Spa Day but I'd give it a look now that it's a bit more fleshed out.
  • Options
    MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    The packs were expensive enough and some are not worth the money I paid for. So, I won't pay for upgrade or anything that should have been in the pack right before.
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    I'm not interested in paying for stuff they should have fixed before they shipped. They should upgrade the packs for free and add a lot to them in the process. We pay quite a bit for expansion packs that have as much gameplay as game packs. They need to go back and flesh out all the expansion and game packs a lot more and bulk them up. There are tons of features they could pick and choose from on these forums that people have suggested that would have made each pack better. Just one example, the Parenthood pack. They should have done something with babies too. The babies are just a piece of furniture you mess with once in a while. They are basically the equivalent of your sim using the toilet a few times a day.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I won't pay for pack upgrades, if they add to a pack I already bought and try and charge for it that is like paying for it twice. Upgrades should remain free.
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    Upgrading old packs will still yield fresh income. Spa Day is several years old, and newer simmers may not be as interested in such an old pack, but this puts it back on their radar.

Considering it's the same kind of effort as updating the base-game (which won't necessarily turn into new sales) this is win-win. People who already own the pack get a free update and simmers who might have been on edge about the pack before may be swayed to buy it now.

The better question is, would you rather have a base game update, or a pack update? -Though, I'll assume they'll keep doing both.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Of course I would want a free upgrade to already owned packs, which is really great for me as I own all the packs already. :) It is like getting a whole new pack with stuff you already like...win-win.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I'd pay for new content.

That they are also updating old content is good to see, especially at the price-point (free).
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    I'd pay for new content.

BUT, pack upgrades should be a part of patches, not sold separately.