Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fix Townies! - Disable accessories for random!? Should EA do this?

Comments

• Options
    FarmerJeiFarmerJei Posts: 55 Member
    Yes, please. I can very well decide on my own if I want a Sim to wear hats, glasses, socks, necklaces and the like.
    I just dont like the Townies like Judith Ward showing up in Batuu or randomly at the vet in brindleton bay when she literally doesnt even have a pet. Or sims who everyday are typical businessmen and then as soon as it starts snowing they magically whip out two nose piercings, an eyebrow ring and THICK black eyeliner, with an equally confusing outfit. Like it just ruins the lore if youre having gameplay and off in the distance you see something like that lol. I dont know how theyd do it but if they could give the randomize button some fashion sense that might help lol
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    Other
    I'm not one to fuss with the Townies. I just laugh (and sometimes snap a screenshot) of the moments when they look as if they got dressed in the dark. What I do have to complain about, is the automatic placing of glasses on my Sims (Toddlers, in particular) when I choose their pajamas. I wear glasses (only since I was in my early thirties) but I never, ever, EVER wear them to bed, lest I fall asleep and they get mangled.

I also would love it, if EA fixed the shameless placing of women's shoes on my male graduates! I tried to fix it once, by quickly taking my Sim into cas.fulleditmode, but the only gown I could find, while green, wasn't what the others were wearing. It was fancier, as if he were a Professor. It's okay, he graduated Top of the Entire Class: Magna Koom Laude. At least that's how I explained his different gown when I shared my story.

But I am well aware by the many threads of how others remake the Townies (and some along with the Towns themselves). Not knocking it at all, it just takes too much time for me. So, it would be nice if EA fixed this, or at least gave the player a bit more control over it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I don't care either way.
    It used to really bug me but I don't mind so much anymore. If a townie offends my sensibilities too much I catch, fix and release via MCCC.

I think they've toned down the townie fashion crimes instances because I'm seeing less of it, two-layer socks instead of the seven-layer socks and no more leprechaun hat with knickers and knee socks and I am grateful. ;)
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    Yes, please. I can very well decide on my own if I want a Sim to wear hats, glasses, socks, necklaces and the like.
    I fear that nails will become the new eyeball ring.
  • Options
    PeppersPeppers Posts: 86 Member
    > @lunaoddity said:
    > I fear that nails will become the new eyeball ring.

The nails would bother me much more to be honest.
  • Options
    lunaodditylunaoddity Posts: 632 Member
    Peppers wrote: »
    > @lunaoddity said:
    > I fear that nails will become the new eyeball ring.

The nails would bother me much more to be honest.

Oh I agree. I just read in another thread that sims can get temporary nails at the spa. Sounds like the game could generate clients to get nails autonomously. :s

I hope not but this game does love to impose its own outfit rules.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I use MCCC to block certain accessories and clothing from being randomized then given to townies to wear. I also use Sims4Studio to block any CC CAS assets from being randomized. As soon as I download anything new I load up S4S, find the new download and make sure it can't be used by Maxis' bad fashion sense. With S4S I also make sure the new asset is in the category I want to use it for, such as a formal dress being in the 'Formal' category and not in the "Cold Weather' category, or has been tagged for use in every category. It not only cuts down on how many items show up in each category, but it also stops the CAS catalog from becoming bloated and speeds up the loading time. But going through all the steps I am now to stop the townies from wearing awful outfits, is time consuming and a bit annoying. I do it because I hate it when some of my townies, as well as the occasional played Sims, show up during a wedding or special event wearing an outfit more fitting for a costume party than a formal event or a special family holiday. I might be from the Pacific Northwest but I draw the line at socks with sandals in RL and in my game. I mean, who likes to wear wet wool socks with sandals when a pair of nice hiking boots will keep your feet dry and warm? I have never understood the logic of it, never will, and if I were Agnes Crumplebottom in RL, every offender I see would get a swift smack in the back of their head with my purse. In my game, offenders with horrible fashion sense get deleted.
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    No, I like my townies being spawned with accessories.
    What would happen to the 'townie fashion' thread if EA disabled accessories? The horror!

I like the ugliness of townie fashion. It's like real life. Not everyone around you dresses perfectly or like a movie star. I have also noticed that people who use CC seem to have a worse case of townie fashion (regardless if they have the items set to spawn on townies or not) than vanilla.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    100% yes! None of these things are necessary for townies. The game can't do it right.

Right now, my game is generating a lot of townies that have very dark skin tones but it's putting makeup on them that doesn't look good. I have very dark townies with bright red or blonde hair, wearing bright red lipstick and eyeshadow from that awful Max collection. If that's not bad enough, then the game adds a mismatched assortment of jewelry, sunglasses, bright socks, gloves, and a head covering of some kind. Maybe it's supposed to be funny but I think it's insulting. Elder townies look especially bad because of what the game is generating them with.
  • Options
    L33tP33tNWL33tP33tNW Posts: 398 Member
    No, I like my townies being spawned with accessories.
    As appealing as this feature sounds, I sort of love the horrid fashion sense of the townies. It would be nice if it was optional.
    ID: L33tP33tNW
    she/her
    AKA Doggers123

pJYI4la.png
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    I usually like the wacky randomness of the outfits, but I would like the option to disable anything in CAS for random. I like creating/playing unique sims, and having a townie show up at karaoke night with the same outfit and hairstyle is just disconcerting. When it happens, I laugh it off as “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery” then promptly edit that copycat nobody! LOL!
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    Good grief yes! I've taken care of the problem on my own using mods, but for everyone else who can't or doesn't want to use mods, I vote a strong YES!
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    KyreRoenKyreRoen Posts: 677 Member
    Good grief yes! I've taken care of the problem on my own using mods, but for everyone else who can't or doesn't want to use mods, I vote a strong YES!
    @FatTribble23
    If you don't mind, which mods do you use?
    Check out my 'Simming Tips' for detailed tips and tricks (TS4).
  • Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 846 Member
    KyreRoen wrote: »
    @FatTribble23

This is awkward. The mod I use is not in itself in any way adult, but it's hosted on an adult (Sims) website, so I'm pretty sure I can't give too much info, especially a link. If you accept DMs, I can DM you more information.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Other
    Just block the eyeball ring.

But, the eyeball ring is epic!!!
    *sarcasm*
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgDBskNPIUg
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    @FatTribble23

I do also have a mod available to fix this. It's getting bigger with every single pack, though.
    https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/outfit-mods-outfit-mods/ (lessrandomhatsandaccessories and, if you want to go further, also situationsoutfitsbegone and roleoutfitsdisabledbychoice)
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    An actual Eye Glass Ring. Now that's what should've been in the Sims 4. :D
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Other
    Just reducing the number of accessories per sim would be fine by me. For example, a townie could wear glasses or a piercing or a bracelet, but not all of them at once! It seems to me that the game thinks "the more, the better", and that is just not the case.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Just reducing is fine in theory, it's just that it never works in this game as (all?) randomizers don't work as expected. That's the reason why you cannot just disable the eye catching stuff and keep the mundante stuff. Getting the same mundane stuff all gets boring, plus there is no way to disable an accessory for random for just one gender (except for completely blocking it for the other gender).

Fixing these core issues would probably be a lot more work than just disabling accessories and such altogether. Though I'd actually love them to fix the randomizers.

A toggle would be great also but toggles are a rare thing in this game so I suppose they are also hard to programm.

As always, I picked the suggestion that doesn't involve too much effert while having the best effect possible.

Some of you have grown used to the terrible townie fashion, though, and it's always problematic to nuke something some players might like after it has been in the game for so long. Even though nothing would stop those simmers from creating their own freaky townies, but I guess that's not the same.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    I'd be OK with townies making use of the full range of fashion options if they didn't inevitably choose the most garish, horrid combination of costume jewelry, dumb piercings, and color "matching" possible.

I tend to edit the pool of NPCs to Hades and back again, and it'd save me a lot of clicks to just spawn NPCs without accessories. Maybe stick socks in the shoes tab rather than the accessories tab, since most of my sims wear sneakers for most of their outfits and those do tend to go with gym socks.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Just reducing is fine in theory, it's just that it never works in this game as (all?) randomizers don't work as expected. That's the reason why you cannot just disable the eye catching stuff and keep the mundante stuff. Getting the same mundane stuff all gets boring, plus there is no way to disable an accessory for random for just one gender (except for completely blocking it for the other gender).

Fixing these core issues would probably be a lot more work than just disabling accessories and such altogether. Though I'd actually love them to fix the randomizers.

A toggle would be great also but toggles are a rare thing in this game so I suppose they are also hard to programm.

As always, I picked the suggestion that doesn't involve too much effert while having the best effect possible.

Some of you have grown used to the terrible townie fashion, though, and it's always problematic to nuke something some players might like after it has been in the game for so long. Even though nothing would stop those simmers from creating their own freaky townies, but I guess that's not the same.

I can only assume that the randomizer worked as intended in the beginning where there was barely any DLC for the game, but now it's broken because too much accessories and clothes have been added to it and Maxis have not done much with it in order to improve it.

I am pretty disappointed that Maxis have made very little effort in improving it because this is what we the players see when we play their game and in my opinion also ruins it for their artists who are putting in so much effort in making these assets, only for the game to just toss it into a randomizer and ruin everything.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    God yes
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Usually my bigger problem is sims sock situation, especially for females when townies are wearing leggings AND socks.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    @FatTribble23

I do also have a mod available to fix this. It's getting bigger with every single pack, though.
    https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/outfit-mods-outfit-mods/ (lessrandomhatsandaccessories and, if you want to go further, also situationsoutfitsbegone and roleoutfitsdisabledbychoice)

I love these mods, thank you so much for making them.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited September 2021
    I haven't voted yet, because I'm still pondering the question.

The randomness annoys me sometimes. I've spent a lot of time fixing it, but when I do, I try to remember to give some of my Sims quirky fashion choices. There are, after all, plenty of "real" people who exhibit this trait.

Earlier this week, I saw a man at the grocery store wearing a too-tight bright yellow t-shirt, faded plaid flannel lounge pants he'd cut off at the knees, and camouflage Crocs. My first thought was: "He's a Townie from The Sims 4!" I was actually a bit disappointed to see he wasn't wearing an eyeball ring.

I confess to occasionally letting a Sim keep the eyeball ring. I also confess to, even more occasionally, using a Sim's ownership of the eyeball ring to inspire a the creation of an even more extreme character. In for a penny, in for a pound. There are times when the laugh I get when I spot this townie is exactly what I need.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!