Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone here that had to redownload their Store content because of Windows 11?

Hello there!

Here is a bit context: So, I keep backup of my Store content downloads in multiple drives, downloaded with both Steam and Origin versions, because you never know EA. I was currently using the Steam version, and then I upgraded to Win11 insider build like a week ago or so. When I tried playing the game, I noticed that all my Store content was gone from the game. After I opened the launcher, it showed no store content were installed, and my previously downloaded Sims3Pack files stopped working. Basically I had to redownload everything again because of this.

Also interestingly, I decided to check if Sims3Packs that I downloaded with the Origin version worked on Win11, and surprise, unlike the ones from the Steam version, Store content downloaded with the Origin version works for some weird reason. This has caused me to think there are some differences between the two versions about how it handles the DRM. But not too sure.

Anyways, has anyone experienced this where they had to redownload their Store content during Win11 upgrade, or any big Windows version upgrades for the matter.

Thank you!
Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes

Comments

• SweetCandy292SweetCandy292 Posts: 21 Member
    I havent had this specific event happen but one time out of the blue all my Cc was missing from the game, had to reinstall everything but it wasnt after an update
  • Me1620Me1620 Posts: 4,983 Member
    @Rsanda - I was wondering if you followed Ciane's method to install and backup store items. Her method is described in her thread How to Install Store Items. Do you only backup the download folder or do you backup the DCCache and DCBackup folders?
    a.k.a. - Jodi and a link to My Page on the Sims 3 website

To help you organize your stalking of the Daily Deal, please join us on the Daily Deal Rotation and Sales Help thread and please view the DD Spreadsheet
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    Me1620 wrote: »
    @Rsanda - I was wondering if you followed Ciane's method to install and backup store items. Her method is described in her thread How to Install Store Items. Do you only backup the download folder or do you backup the DCCache and DCBackup folders?

Nope, I don't use any method whatsoever. I just take a backup of *.Sims3Pack files and reinstall them all in one go if it needs be. Nothing wrong has happened with the game so far.

My guess for why it required me to redownload them, is because whatever DRM they implemented probably thinks I am on a different PC for some reason after I upgraded to Win11. Because the Sims3Pack files completely behaved like they have been downloaded from a random third party piracy website, even though they were official legit downloads. And I am guessing since you can't just copy paste the contents of DCCache to let's say your friends computer, my already installed Store content got disabled as well because it thinks I am on a different PC.

Another theory of mine to give an answer to why the Origin backup still worked even after the OS upgrade, is because I think 1.69 might use the Origin account as a DRM measure instead. That version is already very tightly integrated with Origin. EA even disables peoples expansion packs if they bought them from a third party website instead of an official provider. Since EA/Origin already has that much control over that version, it makes sense if they were to tie Store file validation to Origin accounts tbh.

These are all theories obviously. But it is all I have anyway :)
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes