Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skin Tones NEED an update. Genetics NEED fixing

2...Next

Comments

• TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Honestly I think it's too many skintones for the gane to even calculate PLUS the sliders. No sims game has ever had 1000 skin tones. Just basically a few variations of dark brown, medium brown and white.

What explains the green eyes though? None of the parents have green eyes.

I need to boot my game to double-check, but I think that green eyes are in the middle of the row of eye color choices. I think it goes brown on one end, blue on the other, green in the middle. So if one parent has blue eyes and the other has brown, the game genetics thinks that green is in-between brown and blue. lol So even though green is the least common of the three in real life, it seems to be the most common eye color in Sims.

If I'm right, than the way to fix that would be to put brown eyes first, than blue, and then green.

Now I wonder, if one parent is more powerful than the other, are the children more likely to inherit certain traits from the powerful parent?

I have a brother and sister with purple eyes that are repopulating their world with their own genetic offspring. The children have a range of skin and hair colors, but most of them have the purple eyes of their supersim parents. I wonder if eye color is somehow influenced by how leveled up a parent is?

Correction. After looking at the children of my succubus, it looks her children have a variety of eye colors; however, the likelihood of purple eyes does seem to increase as she grows stronger.

I can say that most of her younger children have their mother's golden hair, although only 1 of her first 5 children did. Their hair colors are black, black, gold, black, light blond (but not gold), gold, gold, gold, platinum, gold, gold, gold, gold, gold. The more children she has, and the more stats she has, the more likely the children are to have her hair color.

For skin color, my succubus has very white skin, to reflect her ice-cold nature. Maybe 5 or 6 of her kids have the same skin color. The rest either have their dad's coloring, or a shade in-between both parents.

edited August 2021
    You asked for screenshots. I can show you multiple children of the same mother, with different dads. (This is partly because I roleplay her and her brother as trying to start a new race of their own genes, but the real reason is because I like playing with sim genetics to see what kind of children I get from different parental combinations. lol )

Here's the mother. (You can see her 4 youngest children down at the bottom.)

43P6h2f.png

I'll follow it up with photos of the kids and their dads, to make comparisons of the kids to their dads.
    Post edited by Tammors on
    edited August 2021
    (I don't know how to add these so they take up less space, but... )

First household :

Child 1 (That's not his real eye color. He has colored contacts on.)
    ohWWIpX.png
    is the son of
    vciH84G.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Child 2
    jWOytsk.png
    is the son of
    7UG2t1g.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Child 3
    j19BMzU.png
    is the daughter of
    5sVih0L.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Child 4
    w9KTYB4.png
    is the son of
    WuK81lW.png

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Child 5
    SM9VBpJ.png
    is the daughter of
    XDhuP7S.png

Note, the other 2 sims in this household are not blood-related. That's her servant and her child.

edited August 2021
    Next household of her children:

Child 6 Fynn Qubus
    sCK8XI5.png

is the son of merman
    EHd6WU7.png

Child 7 Yumisa Qubus
    ryX1nhC.png
    is the daughter of my Ainu
    b0GobzV.png

Child 8 Jin Qubus
    3t4w6oz.png

is the son of my merman
    8Z0JCUu.png

Child 9 Contessa Qubus
    k6ZIFUh.png
    is the daughter of my Norwegian
    77jjx2a.png

Child 10 Thalassa Qubus
    xvkC7Vr.png
    is the daughter of Narcissus (scroll up a little), so she's full-blooded sister to Jin.

Post edited by Tammors on
    Looking over the last household, I see that little J in Qubus seems to break the rule on sim skin coloring. His skin looks darker and redder than either of his parents. But maybe that's a Sulani suntan?

3rd household of her children starts with the twins, Dublin Qubus and Devlin Qubus.

(Note that originally both twins had purple eyes. I changed Dublin's to black. Originally his name was Devlin, and his brother was Dublin. But when they aged up to toddler, he had that wild cc birthmark (on all outfits), so I decided to switch names. Dublin means "black pools", so it seems more fitting for a child with black around his eyes. So I switched their names around. Then I decided to really play up the "black pool" thing by changing his eye color too. Otherwise I don't normally alter genetics on my born sims.)

74PqVfZ.png

SfHXUh1.png

The twins are the sons of vampire fbjNBLf.png

(Note that Dublin was born in a mage crib and Devlin was born in a vampire crib. Will they both be vampires? Will they both be casters? Will they be neither? Also notice that none of my merman's children show indication of what their future will hold either, but they were all born in caster bassinets. Their mother will have to wait until they age up to find out!~)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SYt5E5E.png

is the son of
    pvJAJ7a.png

and her youngest
    brA2F0z.png

is the daughter of

BCLlVct.png

• Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    I’ve had mixed results from genetics. I have quite a few sets of twins in my saves, partly because I like playing with large families, but the genetic results are pretty interesting. I have one set of twins who look a lot like their mother with black hair and brown skin, but have their dad’s green eyes (he is white and blond). Then I have another set of twins who are both pale redheads (both their parents are also pale redheads), but one has their dad’s brown eyes and the other has their mum’s blue eyes. And, in yet another save (told you I like twins/multiples!!) one twin looks exactly like her mother with brown hair and green eyes, and the other looks exactly like her father with blond hair and brown eyes. Both parents are white, but don’t have exactly the same skintone.

I often find that you don’t truly see any family resemblances until the child becomes a teen. I have one mixed-race family (no twins here haha) where the son looked very much like his mother as a toddler and child, with tanned skin and blond hair (as opposed to his dad who is black and has black hair), but when he became a teenager I noticed he had his dad’s facial features.

I’ve not had an instance where a kid gets a skintone that’s completely different to what their parents have, that’s bizarre.
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    Posted in here before, with a longer winded rant about the genetics.
    A lot of my Sims are first generation, and pretty low-key on how I made them. Like I would have a spell caster, with red hair and blue eyes, and their partner would have blonde hair and green eyes, and also be a spell caster. Another thing is that most of my Sims are loyal to their partner, and I have yet to have any scenarios where they aren't loyal. When I create them, I also will make sure they are withing the same skin tones, like warm, cool or neutral to keep the skin tones from coming out bizarre.
    So, with all that planned, and placed, I have still had some strange genetic glitches, not super extreme, but noticeable. For example, one of my couples had a kid, most of their kids followed the eye color of one parent, but one kid ended up getting grey/gray colored eyes, when one parent had blue, and the other one had green. I had to go into CAS, and fix it.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I've noticed that genetics have been really whacky lately, I had a spellcaster and a vampire sim have a child, the child was born a vampire, but when they aged up into a toddler they became a spellcaster when they aged up into a child. Confused I recreated the family in CaS in a fresh save and had the child as a vampire when they left CaS, once in world the child had been changed into a Spellcaster.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,553 Member
    Genetics are such an important part of the Sims, they should really take care to not break them or at least properly fix them in the future.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • AngelEb95AngelEb95 Posts: 1,538 Member
    Yeah, genetics are messed up but I always end up tweaking my toddlers anyway so it never really bothered me.
    attack-on-titan-attack-on-titan-s4.gif
  • Snowleopard_0Snowleopard_0 Posts: 228 Member
    I feel like there is barely any consistency. I would love for my gen 3, born of 2 brown eyed parents, to have blue eyes because her grandma had them. Just involve dominant genes, inheriting them and make the babies not look COMPLETELY different??
    she/her- Gallery ID is Solaranimal1
    Someone who cries to minecraft music
    (Hey guys, can someone tell me how to put a picture here?)
  • Pipersfun2Pipersfun2 Posts: 710 Member
    So I was playing with this family and when I aged up their first baby... which was not adopted FYI... and the baby did NOT look like the parents. At all. The most glaring thing was the child's skin tone, not to mention the eye color. I can understand the hair texture difference... but everything else was unacceptable. Instead of describing the discrepancies any further, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. (Sorry if they're blurry, imgur hates it when I screenshot anything)

Mom
    2i2H33j.png

Dad
    sxRYMK4.png

Original Toddler
    mhJoxap.png

What the Toddler should have looked like
    GZrKEZN.png

I'm irritated. Sure there weren't as many skin tones before the update, but at least genetics worked reasonably well. Last week, the toddler was purple... purple. There is a purple skin tone and my toddler was purple. I don't like the whole warm-neutral-cool thing. I think that's what messes up the next generation and unless the devs fix that, I will have to continue using "cas.fulleditmode" and adjusting my toddlers' skin tones.

So please, I invite you all to share pictures of your toddlers/second generations and the comparison to their parents. Commiserate and rant with me.

I use cas.fulleditmode all of the time just for that reason. Along with cc skin
    while we are playing them,WHO IS PLAYING US?