Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A different 100 baby challenge

Comments

• mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    jbadger12 wrote: »
    Good job, Stacy! Only 80 more to go. Woo!
    Going quicker now :D

Stacy sharing her new look with you all <3 She grew her hair out a bit and got some new outfits ;)
    W8A5M1l.png

Nadia and Nathan aged up <3

jHx1n92.png
    QH23Jqa.png

F7vWkYP.png
    ezOisPp.png

That is me for now folks <3

Just to show you how I am using the picture frame where the tv used to be LOL
    6SMoeVD.png

and now the photo frames to sign off for today, Night night from New Zealand <3
    CpvknmS.png
    FxBLYXm.png
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    edited August 2021
    @mcrudd
    I hope you find peace someday. My heart goes out to you.
    My husband is the same way with needles and blood. I always have to remind him to look away cause his face goes pale and he looks like he's about to be sick.
    I really like the dress Mystic is wearing in all the colors. CL has got some great CAS items.
    Stacy is so pretty with her new makeover!
    I named her Easter cause she looks like an easter egg in her sweater. I'm actually partial to Lucy. Sure she's evil but she's really a nice chicken...I swear!
    Congrats on Baby 20!
    Olivia's red hair looks so good with her skin tone.
    Welcome to Baby Quinn.
    I love Stacy's new look. She's a knockout!
    Nadia and Nathan look a lot alike.
    Great update!

@jbadger12
    Thank you! *Takes a Bow* I'm rather pleased with my update as well.
    I have never played The Sims Medieval. I've only played the Sims 3 & 4 and some of the MySims games on the Nintendo 3DS.
    I love the acting career because it takes forever to complete all the jobs types so it never gets boring. It's funny you mentioned the plummer because in the commercial she is vampire plummer!
    I love your opening to your last update.
    I have never had sushi before. Of course I could only eat the vegetable type because I'm allergic to all forms of seafood. It started out as a just shellfish allergy then it got to the point where I couldn't even handle tuna. It's funny cause I only get an itching reaction from iodine on it's own. My allergy of seafood manifests in an unpleasant way of nausea and vomiting.
    Nina is probably upset because her sister stole the appointment she had with Don from her.
    Summer Strut, Winter Holiday and Electronic are my favorite radio stations in the game.
    To get to the Library!
    Sorry all out. Do you happen to know I can learn to not Poupon my diaper?
    I love the storytelling and reactions to them in the Sims 4. Never gets old.
    Ilyena is a pretty teen!
    Great update!

@all
    Frankly I am disappointed that no one understood the meaning behind Llisa's name. I'll give you a hint, it's not the double L.
    I am off to play! Have a good one!
    Post edited by TeeSea on
  • jbadger12jbadger12 Posts: 321 Member
    @TeeSea I suspect that either your llama's name falls within my cultural blind spot, or I will be disappointed with myself for missing it if/when you reveal the meaning.
    I like seafood (not see food) but not raw. One of my bosses made a business trip to Japan to meet with executives from a company we were working with, and one night they went out to dinner at a sushi place. Apparently, one of the types they had was raw chicken (something my mom always told me to avoid). My boss had some and it did not agree with him (to say the least).
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
    Gallery ID: jjbadgett12

@jbadger12
    Lisa Frank is Llisa's name sake not that it matters now....

@all
    So I found out why my sims game has been so messed up...OneDrive. I went and disabled it, hibernated my laptop and when I came back in all of my files were gone. No mods, No saves, No screenshots...nothing is left. Not even in my mods folder. This one is going to take me a while to recover from. I'm just at a loss. One thing I can say is that at least I know what was causing the problems now and I have unlinked my laptop from OneDrive so that will never happen again. At least I can say I learned something from all of it...but right now that is little consolation. :/
    :o
    I'm not sure how it works, but could you not connect to OneDrive one last time, make backup copies of everything, and then move them to the appropriate folders once you'd disconnected again?
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
    edited August 2021
    :o
    I'm not sure how it works, but could you not connect to OneDrive one last time, make backup copies of everything, and then move them to the appropriate folders once you'd disconnected again?

I tried that. I even downloaded all the folders from my windows OneDrive account but when I unzipped them they were empty. I tried again and it said something about needing to finish zipping the folders which made no sense whatsoever since they were downloaded as zip files. I want to blame OneDrive but I am pretty sure it was something I did...I just don't know what. I'll recover from this but I will probably not try this challenge again for a while. Having to start over twice is one too many times for me. I thought I was being smart by keeping backups of my sims folder on my desktop but that doesn't help when everything gets deleted. *Sigh* I just need to recoup and regroup. I'm sure inspiration will strike again.
    I understand; I get a little disheartened when I lose an hour or two of game play to a crash. I'm going to miss your updates.
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
    I understand; I get a little disheartened when I lose an hour or two of game play to a crash. I'm going to miss your updates.

I will be back with another challenge in the near future don’t worry. Just reading your post made me feel better and makes me want to even more. I will also keep checking in here as well because I’d miss you all to much and I have to know what happens with your challenges.
    Once again, I forgot to take many screenshots as I was playing. Here's a condensed version of what happened:

Our day begins with Elsa picking flowers to hand out because it's love day. Not pictured, Elsa's hot date with Mortimer Goth, which had to end early when the kids got home from school.
    AFUgHPO.jpg

As the day draws toward its close, Ilyena gives Elsa a flower. Where did she get it? From Katherine, who got it from Jenny, who got it from Elsa, who now receives it back again.
    gmlCoWE.jpg

What about the other traditions? Elsa tells Ilyena "You're not allowed to date until you're older. All that kissing and flirting stuff is out, too."
    fMzM7J7.jpg

It's now Saturday. Knowing the baby is coming soon, Elsa plans a day at the beach. Here we see toddlers Lyra and Melissa sleeping to the gentle sound of the waves crashing on the shore.
    iGECduG.jpg

Jenny and Katherine might just be best friends before the day is out.
    I4YXiKW.jpg

Of course the inevitable occurs, and Elsa is called away. Ilyena volunteers to look after her younger sisters, so they can stay at the beach.
    Bxc7vdn.jpg

Here we get our first glimpse of baby Natalya. Sadly or luckily, there is not a second baby.
    cUPvVkw.jpg

Meanwhile, back in Sulani: A single taste of the kelp was invigorating, and Ilyena felt the irresistible call of the ocean. As she reached the water, the changes began...
    KY1FSKt.jpg

As is often the case in such metamorphoses, The initial brilliant yellow coloration of Ilyena's tail altered upon her second transformation, shifting to its final shade, a deep midnight blue.
    rEFssw8.png
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @TeeSea:
    Oh, that's terrible! :( Why is it that so many people doing this challenge have had similar problems, losing their saves?

I would have thought that saving a copy to your desktop would have been sufficient, but maybe you only saved a shortcut? If you really have a full copy of your Sims folder on your desktop, you should be able to copy the subfolders back into your Sims directory. Or was OneDrive somehow moving everything from your computer into its cloud space?

I've never used OneDrive - I strongly distrust saving things to the cloud; that makes things too easily hacked - so my backups are always to another, completely separate, external hard drive. I figure that if my main drive glitches, then having the backups on the same drive is pointless.

I do not understand OneDrive, but your experience has made me very glad that I never activated that service. But I'm certainly sorry that you lost everything - your story was going on so beautifully!

Is there anything that I could do to help you at all? I know it's not really as possible in a game like this, but if there's anything that I can do, I'd be happy to help you.

@jbadger12:
    A mermaid's tail can change the second time it changes? Whyfor is that? I've obviously never played a mermaid (only got the pack a couple of months ago), so I have no experience with them.
    @MiaSkywalker That was just a storytelling device on my part to explain the differences in Ilyena's mermaid form in the two screenshots I took. When a Sim first becomes a mermaid their form (tail color, etc.) is randomized. I went into Create-A-Sim and changed it.
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
  • 3CatsFull3CatsFull Posts: 29 Member
    edited August 2021
    Just checking in. I have no idea where I left off reading so this marks my spot for the future. Currently I am on baby #20, Creature Keeper Micheal's son, Nathan. Also in the house are Katharine and Kaelyn Ito (just turned teen), Lucien and Lyric Pancake (probably another week as children) and toddler, Mikayla Scott (Simon's daughter).

All of my white daddies produce black babies who turn into white children and all of my black daddies produce the whitest of white babies who turn into black children. Strange.

I have to say, Mikayla is probably the most beautiful toddler I have ever randomly created. I can't wait to see what she grows up to look like. She should be aging up in the next day or so. She's on the potty in the picture because I think the toddlers on the potty is the cutest interaction in the game. You will have to take my word for it until I can figure out how to post pictures. I probably need to host them somewhere other than Google Drive.

I moved the family to HoB and Patricia is trying her hand at farming and raising animals. Leaves very little time to find baby daddies but the kids can help out with the animals and some of the farming.
    Hi guys, will read later, super chaos here again. Yet another positive case at my husband's job. Will catch up later, hugs to all <3

@jbadjer12
    Your quirky little tidbits regarding each photo never fail to make me smile.
    Ilyena regifting a flower is just her way of being kind to the ecosystem.
    Elsa is strict mommy. No dating for your teens?
    Looks like a fun beach trip.
    Welcome to baby Natalya.
    I like how you told about the tail change. Very creative way to explain the color change and even makes perfect sense.
    Great update!

@miaskywalker
    The laptop I'm using now is only like 2-3 years old. When I bought it I thought I had disabled OneDrive from the start because this exact same thing happened with OneDrive on my older laptop. Completely deleted all my files. I unlinked the laptop I but also had a Windows Update and after unlinking the laptop I shut it down for the night by choosing update and shutdown. At that time I thought it was caused by the update but yesterday it dawned on me that it was probably OneDrive again. It is also probably something I did or didn't understand or read wrong. I don't like cloud servers either with exception of dropbox because it helps so much to have a place to store a copy of my screenshots and also as an image hosting option.

Do you know of any website that has a list of everything you can accomplish in the game? Not just career but hidden actions and achievements as well like Rosebud and Host with the Most. I have searched in the past and ever found one. It probably doesn't exist is my guess.

@3catsfull
    Sounds like your moving along quickly.
    For images try Imgur or Dropbox.

@mcrudd
    I am so sorry to hear that another case has been confirmed at you husband's job. I wish the best of luck and take care of yourself.

@all
    Today is going to be spent downloading mods and setting up my game. Have a good one!
    @TeeSea:
    Wow, what a pita! Do you have your favorite mod sites bookmarked? I don't envy you your job today; having to reinstall everything can be very time consuming. :( About the only upside to it is that you can make sure you have the latest of everything, and that you won't double-dip with two versions of the same mod. (I've done that more times than I can count.)

CC is a whole 'nother matter, though; finding everything you had before may be even more time consuming. Otoh, I sometimes find that CC shopping by itself is a whole bunch of fun; I can go to TSR looking for something very specific, and then discover that I've downloaded 200-300 other things that I hadn't originally intended on, and spent 3-4 hours in the process.

Hope we'll see you soon. If you don't end up doing this challenge again, give us a link to wherever you do post any challenges you play, because I would certainly love to read your stories.

@jbadger12:
    Ohhhh! Ok, I can see that. :) I recently downloaded a whole bunch of gorgeous tails from TSR for when I ever get around to playing a mermaid. Since I've never actually played one before (I only got Sulani a month ago, iirc), I have no idea what the defaults they have are, but knowing EA, they're probably not nearly as interesting as any of the ones I downloaded!

@3CatsFull:
    Are you having problems finding a good images site, or is it the technical aspects of linking images on the forum that's an issue? I think everyone here can help you on both issues.

@mcrudd:
    I really hope that everything ends up OK. I'm guessing that you're all quarantined now? I hope things are OK with you.
    edited September 2021
    @MiaSkywalker I was hoping I could use Drive but I'll use Dropbox instead. But I still don't know how to get the Dropbox link to work. It shows as broken.

@mcrudd We've had 4 positive cases at my school. I've had 3 in my classroom. Since we are required to wear masks, it isn't considered close contact so teachers don't have to quarantine. The feeling among most of the teachers I know is that it is not a question of if but a question of when we get sick.

And in today's episode of "This Stupid Game Hates Me" I can't fast forward. It goes for a minute or two then goes back to normal speed. Even when they are all sleeping.
    @3CatsFull
    Replace the dl=0 with raw=1

edited September 2021
    Let's try this again! https://www.dropbox.com/s/370h1yqcwmd11ac/Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.43.57 PM.png?raw=1

Well, at least the link works. Can you click on it?
    @3catsfull:
    Sounds like a lag issue. If it only happens after you've been playing for a while, I've read that clicking the menu button in the upper right corner, then releasing it, will get rid of lag. When I've tried it, it works for me. It especially helps when you get lag in build/buy mode.

If it happens from the start, then you've got something else that's specifically causing lag. I know some mods can; particularly one whose name can't even be mentioned on the site. I tried that mod ONCE, at a recommendation, but it lagged my game so badly that after half an hour I removed it. I suppose if I ever get my uber powerful computer that I'll be able to use it, but if I get my uber powerful computer, I'm going back to Sims 3.

Some CC can cause it, especially alpha CC, and *particularly* alpha hair CC. The higher the poly count of an item, the worse it will cause lag in a game. (This is true for any game, not just Sims.) Look at any CC hairs you might have, and try the game without them.

If you don't use mods or CC, and it's happening as soon as you launch a game, then I dunno. Unless, I guess, it's a save you've been playing for a while, and maybe have some long lineages going. I thought the Sims 4 internal database was better than the Sims 3 internal database in that regard, but maybe it's only marginally so. I've never played legacies, so I have no personal experience with that, one way or another.

Certain times of the day there will be slow down: 3am and 5am are two times that I've noticed. 5am because that's when plants grow; I'm not sure about what happens in the game at 3am that causes a slow down.

One trick I've used when getting lag in a game - any game, again, not just Sims - is to pause the game for 10 seconds or so, then unpause the game. Often it's just that it needs to do some calculations, and because other things in the game are running, the calculations that are trying to run get buffered. Then because that's being buffered, other things get buffered, and you end up with a whole lot of buffering going on, and not the game actually playing. Giving the game time to allow those calculations to run can often clear up the whole thing. Doesn't work for everything, especially if there's a lot of calculation backlog already in the game, but most of the time it helps. This is generally only an issue if the game has been running for a while; again, if this is happening on launch, I have no idea what's causing it.
    3CatsFull wrote: »
    Let's try this again! https://www.dropbox.com/s/370h1yqcwmd11ac/Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 9.43.57 PM.png?raw=1

Well, at least the link works. Can you click on it?

Ah, I think you just forgot the [ img ] at the beginning (remove the spaces), and [ / img ] at the end. Bracket the image URL with those, and it should allow the image to appear directly on your post.
    @TeeSea The teens have to work on their aspirations. No time for dating. Also, I thought the speech bubble in the screenshot was too good to waste.
    Amusingly, everyone who was given the snapdragon liked it as a gift, except Elsa.

@3CatsFull It's good to get a glimpse of your sim family.

I decided to build a new house today, instead of playing with my challenge family, but part way through building the house, I decided I wasn't liking it much and started working on a different house. Before I knew it, it was time for dinner.

Since I don't have any updates, I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of the houses I worked on.

This is the first one. I have a floor plan to work with for this one, But I can't get the outside to look quite like I want it to. I had some issues with friezes, among other things.

qvMFh22.jpg

This is the back of the house. There should be some stairs off the back porch, and eventually a swimming pool in the yard.

XmyRO8Z.jpg

This is the second house. I'm still trying to figure out how the inside of it is supposed to work.

nFCAlEL.jpg
    fm1Ouiv.jpg
    @MiaSkywalker Thanks! I don't have *that* mod in my game but I do have a lot of alpha CC from one creator. I don't recall having the problem with other creators so it must be that. Which is a shame because I really like alpha hairs. Guess I'll go with some Maxis Match for a while. And thanks for the image help. I'll try that next time I want to post a family picture.

Now I'm off to remove the CC and see if that helps. Then I'm off to find Maxis Match hair I like!
    @3CatsFull:
    Yeah, I had a whole bunch of alpha hair when I played Sims 3, not realizing it was a problem. I didn't mind the hair showing up randomly on townies, because I liked seeing it, but I had no idea that it was causing a lot of lag in my game. Eventually I decided just to live with EA hair; having all the packs for Sims 3, as well as everything from the store, I had a lot of choices to work with.

That's actually one of the reasons EA hair tends to be kind of plasticky; they're trying to prevent too much lag. Hair can REALLY get high poly, especially with those hairs where the creator textures every single strand. I'm sure you've seen them; they tend to be the best looking hair.

Whenever you download something, if the creator bothers with putting in the LOD count, that tells you how high poly an item is. I don't remember what LOD actually stands for (I used to; I briefly worked with 3D rendering when I was getting my web developer degree), but the higher the number, the more likely it is to cause a problem. You can have a FEW things that are high poly in your game, but try not to have too many.

I have a few really high poly items made by TheJim07. I admit I'm a sucker for the rococo look, and he makes some beautiful items in that style. Some of them tend to be (more than) a bit on the high poly side, though, so I try to use them a little sparingly in my game. :)

I also use a lot of alpha makeup. I don't *think* that causes a problem, since there's no poly count when it comes to makeup. It's just textures, and so far as I know the game doesn't get lag from textures.
    ok phew we dodged another bullet. So work phoned my hubby Monday night, said that positive case at work, that was there during the handover times when he was there two hours the one day and four the next. So he was told to stay at home while they contact the ministry of health. Tuesday they phoned and said stay home again on Wednesday its still on going, they are now busy checking the cctv footage. They just phoned now and said, my hubby was no where near this guy but that he will work longer hours because they had to tell 25 other staff to isolate and get tested on day 5 and 12 and can return back to work if day 12 test is negative. I am truly exhausted, took my daughter for her vaccination today and she is petrified of needles, my son is still outside Auckland working away and everything is overwhelming again. I will try and catch up tomorrow with all the posts I missed, I can see its a lot, hugs to you all and happy simming <3