Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim 66

Comments

• LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    Chapter 28
    Aww, I'm happy for Jeremy right now. Barbara is such a nice lady. I hope this relationship lasts as I continue reading on.

Chapter 29
    Ah, the secrets of Forgotten Grotto coming soon. And I'm laughing at drunk Nancy Landgraab. :lol:
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
    Chapter 30
    I'm really enjoying Action's cases. Makes me excited to get one of my heir(ess)es into that career field when it fits for Plain ol' Legacy.

Chapter 31
    Jeremy and Barbara make a cute couple. I'm really hoping it sticks.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    Chapter 32
    I can only imagine what Nancy is going to do/think when she finds out Suzy is snooping around. :grimace:

Chapter 33
    I got to laughing at Action's actions to Candy at the precinct. I can picture him now going out of his way to bust her for something after she walked away from their outting. I get why he didn't want to see or talk to her.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    edited August 2021
    Here come the spoilers!
    The detective career is fantastic. I hadn't tried it before starting Sim 66 but the police station, the cases you get to go on, the townies you meet and the promotion requirements are tricky but achievable...compared with the Doctor career which is difficult. Get To Work might just be my favourite Sims 4 pack. Like I said earlier, I get to channel my inner police TV drama writer when it comes to Action.

Jeremy and Barbara are really cute together but I won't say where it's heading at this point. She began life as a Townie, randomly created by the game. I changed her outfit slightly but her face and hair are exactly as she was created so the game did good that time.

🐸🐸🐸🐸 hath no fury like Nancy Landgraab when she's been stirred up...as you shall see.

Every time a played character in the game has an interaction with Candy Behr it always ends on a sour note. I see her as a bit of a self-obsessed airhead.
    Chapter 34
    This is turning into an interesting street. And don't jump to conclusions, Jeremy! :lol:

Chapter 35
    Oh, and here I thought Jeremy was thinking something else about Geoffrey and Gillian. Ha, ha. My bad. Jeremy might want to inform the copper, Action, as well. :grimace:

Chapter 36
    I have to laugh at the screenshot you got of Neil in a panicky frantic mood. A possible beau for Miss Suzy Kent? I guess I'll have to keep reading to find out.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    The spoiler part
    Jeremy could only hear part of the conversation between Geoffrey and Gillian as Julia was talking non-stop. He only really caught what they were saying when Geoffrey yelled "STAY AWAY FROM MY SON!"...he didn't catch anything about why he dislikes her.

The search for a suitable beau for Suzy was a bit frustrating. Every guy she met was either with someone else, wouldn't respond to flirting or would walk off in the middle of hanging out with her. I agree, there were some great screen cap moments during that game: I particularly like the flirtatious look she gives Neil at one point. Anyway, is he the one? Hmmmm; I've learned during this game that it's not the person you think is obvious.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    I have nothing of importance to say, just wanted to fangirl about that polka dot jacket for a minute. That polka dot jacket!! <3
    gen3-banner.png
    Chapter 37
    I have to say again I really enjoy Action on duty out and about taking care of justice. They are really a fun read.

Chapter 38
    Most jobs you have to work from the bottom up. You'd think Julia would know that. Especially for a career you're entering straight out of college. And Action gave her a good burn at the end of the chapter. I definitely cracked up. :lol:

Chapter 39
    Aww ... bow chicka bow bow ... Jeremy and Barbara!
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Travis wants to "pack some heat" but is he capable? Judging by this picture the answer is...no. Chapter 122: Travis Get Your Gun

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2021/08/chapter-122-travis-get-your-gun.html

MFsUNbU.png

Tagging: @BreeMiles @SnowBnuuy @MoonlightGraham @LegacySims2017 @JestTru @mightysprite @orenjiAi

i actually just found this story this morning. i'm just going to comment on pics for now. last year i was adjusting to my new glasses this year i can't wear them cause masking is more important. they make the mask to tight. so i plan to read the story at some point in the future. i did read just enough to know its about the 60s both my parents were teens in high school then. and ocassionally i read moms posts from then which i lovingly call you did what? stories she never told me. no she doesn't know that cause thats what its caled in my head.
    I have nothing of importance to say, just wanted to fangirl about that polka dot jacket for a minute. That polka dot jacket!! <3

You know, when I saw that guy lurking around the festival...no idea who is is; he's a townie who at some point I must have modified their outfit and hair but I can't remember...I thought "yes! Thank you game! That's the kind of people I want walking around in the background!" So I had to feature him prominently in a screen cap.
    On Julia
    Julia has an arrogant side to her: As she was top in school, top at university and medical school and has achieved a lot in her life already she felt that her past grades and glowing reports from her teachers would somehow elevate her once she actually started work. However, her supervisor, Dr Murakami, isn't impressed by grades.
    Chapter 40
    :lol: @ Suzy singing and dancing out of the blue. One of those autonomous things I am gathering?

Chapter 41
    Nancy: “Oh…no reason. You protect and serve…just remember who that is”
    She can't intimidate one Mr John Action. She can try!
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    Suzy's singing
    This is an example of extrapolating something that happens in the game to give it a reason to be in the story. I noticed she was spontaneously singing near the tree in Willow Creek so I made it part of the mystery of it. Does it exert a power over those who are near it?

No one intimidates Action...the only person who's come close is Jacques Villareal.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    I've made it through part 25 so far, only 100 or so parts to go. :) I like how you're mixing your own sims with the premades and how your story develops through various sims. Love the clothes, the hair, and the general 60s vibe too. It's interesting to see which aspects of the 60s you choose to incorporate (e.g., the conflict in Simdo-China) and those you don't (like the racism).
    I'm glad you're liking it and it was (and is) great fun working out the characters, the clothes, the decor and the music for the story. As for the contemporary issues it's a tricky path: This story began life on the forums and there's certain things you can't say or else the moderators will remove or censor it. Now it's moved on to it's own blogging site I can push the boundaries a bit more but I want to keep it PG or 12+ rating. I've mentioned the Vietnam war a few times, and that is something I am planning on developing...I want to send a character off to war and have scenes set there but I'm working on how I'm going to do that practically. Those eagled eyed readers will have noticed a screen cap of Action being attacked by a VC soldier in an earlier chapter but it's one thing to do a one off picture, it's another to have a whole scene set in Vietnam with everyone in uniform and carrying weapons!

With tackling racism that's a VERY hot button topic right now and sensitivities are high. Racism has cropped up in the story a few times; Action and Katherine have had a discussion about inter-racial dating, a woman shot them a disapproving look when they were on a date and then there's some people who have had a go at Action because he's a policeman working with white colleagues and they think he's sold out to The Man. The story is set in 1966 and will move forwards...in the historical timeline the march on Washington's happened (1963), the Civil Rights Act has passed (1964), Malcolm X has been killed and the Watts Riots have taken place (both 1965). 1966-67 sees a lull in unrest before we get the DNC protest in Chicago and MLK's assassination (1968). Action is my tribute to the black fictional characters and the actors that played them who I watched in films and TV from that era and who were some of my favourite cops and spies: Shaft, Barney from Mission: Impossible, Mark Sanger from Ironside, Richard Rowntree and Yaphet Kotto.

There's a whole other bunch of social and political issues of that era that I have lightly touched on but I don't want the story to be focussing on that to the detriment of telling it. It has to be weaved in as seamlessly as possible and will be dealt with more as the narrative dictates.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    @Kellogg_J_Kellogg Your story is fun. Thanks for explaining some of your thought process. It's interesting to have insight into authors' minds. :D I'm enjoying Sim 66 a lot, so I'm trying to progress quite quickly through it. Because I'm trying to move a bit quickly and am so far behind, I don't remember exactly what I read or where, but there were several instances that made me (incorrectly?) think that it's not set in the US because you're going for a less national/more global story or that you're not American. But all of the historical events you just mentioned take place in the US, so do you have a particular country in mind as the setting?

I don't think that every story set in the past should strive to be historically accurate because that's stifling, and I agree with the idea that narratives should be narratives and not necessarily history lessons. But the -isms were so bad in the 60s. In the US, it wasn't until 1967 that the Supreme Court finally outlawed anti-interracial marriage laws and tried to make every state get rid of them, but these laws were still enforced in some states into the 70s. It wasn't until the 2000s or so in some places that they were officially repealed and then only a slight majority (like 50 - 70%) of the population wanted them gone, but I don't think (I really hope) they weren't enforced in the 2000s in any way. I just think it's really challenging to have a story set in the past and I appreciate how you approach it (especially the fashion and the lingo <3) and how thoughtful you are and are trying to continue to be. All of your characters that I've encountered are great so far. I love Action's name and his independent attitude. Suzy's great and Jeremy as well.
    The story is set in Sim City, which is in Sim Nation (which equates to the United States). Where Sim City is exactly and what state it's in is left vague. Culturally it's mainstream America of that time with a classical liberal ethos...it's not San Francisco liberal and certainly not in a state with Jim Crow laws. It's more like the television depiction of America at that time, how the country liked to see itself. Most of the characters are based on actual fictional TV and movie ones: Jeremy is Don Hollinger from "That Girl", Action is essentially Shaft etc.

For me I want to write characters people want to spend time with. This isn't just an era of oppression, this is an era when the actual task of ending that oppression began. The human race was within touching distance of the Moon. A whole generation of talented people from all levels of society found they could become a success. There were new, bold ideas in art, fashion, architecture, music, writing, film making, television, engineering and so much was being tried out. Suzy represents that modernist way of life, Action represents the confidence of that time, Jeremy is a baby boomer, Alan Cuffe and the Sneedleys...oh, you won't have met them just yet. I won't let the cat out of the bag with those guys but they too are representations of that era.

Besides, this was all a writing experiment that has mushroomed into what it is today. I might sound like I have it all under control, it's more chaotic than that!
    Chapter 42
    This image cracked me up the most. The dude is getting his groove on and Judith looks like she's doing a, "Good grief!" look! :grimace:
    10-14-20_11-07-42%25C2%25A0PM.png

Chapter 43
    I need to say it again for Jeremy and Barbara.... bow chicka bow bow! :lol:

Chapter 44
    Poor Neil needs to get out more...without his artwork. Hopefully Suzy can be the one to help him with that.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    Julia is great for reactions. Some of my favourite screen caps are of her facial expressions or body language.
    Sit yourselves down and enjoy some hot and steamy passion and drama at the....Sneedley residence? Really? Those two? Anyway all that and more in Chapter 123: The Closet.

https://kelloggjkellogg.blogspot.com/2021/09/chapter-123-closet.html

IZ5YCHY.png

Tagging: Tagging: @BreeMiles @SnowBnuuy @MoonlightGraham @LegacySims2017 @JestTru @mightysprite @orenjiAi @haneul
  • TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    Great story idea! I haven't read it all yet but what I have read so far is really good.
    Chapter 45
    lol @ "morning coffee". A lot of hook ups going on. Now just waiting to see if Travis and Summer get theirs. :lol:

Chapter 46
    "You know, Julia" said Francesca "you're a natural healer" Now if Julia could only do that for herself.

Chapter 47
    "Are you here for Action?" said Jeremy. "And what's that supposed to mean?" said the lady with a scowl. OMG, I literally laughed out loud with that. :lol:

Aww...slip of the tongue on Jeremy, but at least he said what he meant he wished it was.

Chapter 48
    I admit I am rooting for Suzy and Neil to become a couple. Everyone else seems to be hooking up. It's their turn.
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top