Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hardest Part of Creating a Sim?

What part of creating a new Sim do you struggle with? For me, it’d have to be naming them. It’s not that I can’t find any names, it’s that I have trouble deciding what fits, especially when the Sim is related to an existing character from another series. I have so many Sims who are just named “? [Surname]”. XD
#ConsistencyForAliensTS4

Comments

• permanentrosepermanentrose Posts: 3,789 Member
    I struggle with making diverse sims sometimes. Even if they have different skin tones and hair colors/styles, I find myself gravitating toward the same makeup and clothing styles so a lot of my sims tend to have a very similar feel since I sometimes struggle with getting out of my comfort zone and my own preferences when it come to styling them differently.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Adding personality with only 3 trait slots.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Making the nostrils look the way I want them to look, lol.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • DivaDogsDivaDogs Posts: 20 Member
    I think the hardest part is making a sim look the way you want them to.
  • EnchantingdustEnchantingdust Posts: 156 Member
    I agree with you all. Finding them shoes is what's most difficult for me though! There aren't so many different items so far.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Going to the bother of making them look like they have a story and a personality, only to wind up having them be glassy-eyed lifeless hand puppets in Sims4, whose traits don't actually matter, for whom gameplay is a thin veneer easily scratched through and largely imagined instead of there waiting to be discovered. They may as well all look the same, because on the inside, they're all the same hollow puppets, really. At least there's still Sims3 and for those who live in countries where it is still supported, Sims2, for that good old gameplay satisfaction.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    edited August 2021
    @DivaDogs I know, I’m constantly deciding that something about a Sim’s face doesn’t look right and going back to change it. 😭 I keep saying to myself, “Right, this is the last edit”, and two weeks later, I’m back in CAS, adjusting their eyes/nose/whatever again.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Making them look different from other sims.
  • sourapfelsourapfel Posts: 18 Member
    Giving my sims diverse features can be difficult since you gotta have an eye for it and it doesn't just take giving a sim a wider nose or smaller eyes. Some people out there create such unique faces but whenever I attempt it I just hate everything that I end up with :s
  • JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 907 Member
    Patience! I enter CAS thinking, I'm going to take my time with this sim... give them 5 outfits for each category, different hair styles for each, accessorize. As soon as I'm finished the first every day outfit, I'm out of patience and I just give them a stylized look for the rest of the categories.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Color coordinating clothes and/or makeup. I'm so bad at it.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    To be fair, I struggle with names, too. With every game. I have genuinely put down a game or just sat there for minutes thinking of them. I have used randomize as well, but after a while you feel you have seen too many of the same ones. If it is really bad, there are a few websites with lists of names I visit.

This is just part of my main problem: inspiration. I need an idea of what I want to do to base my Sims, builds, and gameplay around. Names are ultimately a part of this, and inspiration is ridiculously fickle. Sometimes it flows like water, at others it is a mere trickle of thick molasses.

So the most difficult part of CAS for me is figuring out just what I want to make. Detail edits can be pretty annoying, but I actually have to be interested in the Sim first. If I had to pick a runner up, it would be detail edit stuff like reproducing Sims or synchronizing details of several versions of the same Sim. It is just tedious and I like to avoid it if at all possible until the point it harms my fun.
  • Cary1213Cary1213 Posts: 91 Member
    For me it's the outfits for every catagory so I just randomize all of their outfits.
    SvgJRlK.png
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    I have a bad habit of giving all my characters the same fashion sense, I end up with a lot of sims who either wear monochrome or all-black so I'm trying to give people more colourful outfits. Also I'm trying to use skirts and dresses more, since I always end up putting everyone in skinny-jeans and boots. I realise lately that a lot of my Sims end up looking like randomly-generated townies, but I just roll with it. : P

Also when I have a specific idea in my head of how I want a character to look, and it takes ages trying to edit the facial details to get it right. Recently I've been moreso just coming up with an idea of the personality first, and going from there, not being too specific about the looks.

I also agree with naming. It's very rare that I have a name in mind for a character. I usually look at baby-naming websites for ideas if the randomiser isn't coming up with something I like.
    they/them or she/her
  • caconionscaconions Posts: 23 Member
    edited August 2021
    I see that a lot of us have similar problems! Naming used to be hard for me but I overcame it by googling baby names. As a result, some of my ads were about baby products which are kinda weird since I'm still so young lol but maybe the algorithm thought I was pregnant. Styling is still hard but thanks to the randomiser option and people on YT, it got easier. Usually, I would gravitate towards the same makeup styles etc but now I'm utilising different styles. If I get lazy, I would just use the pre-styled outfits lol. Now, the hardest for me is making a sim from scratch & more diverse... I suck at that so I'm very grateful for the gallery TT.
    Adding personality with only 3 trait slots.
    If you're on PC, there's a mod to increase the number of trait slots, but I do agree, it is hard with only 3 slots.
    Caco (pronounced as 'cha-cho') | she/her | a cat lady that loves onions
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Finding decent/appropriate jeans for male adult/elder sims!
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Makeup that I use for aliens to make them more alien. For non occults, women sometimes get lipstick.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    Finding decent/appropriate jeans for male adult/elder sims!

Yes, this. Out of all the jeans there's only 2 pair I like.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,885 Member
    Usually just not going too dolly or eternally repeating same looking boring sims

I love when sims don't look like they all went to same plastic surgeon but I truly lack imagination

which is why I love having premade sims so i can just style them and play with them and their offspring never having to bother with genetics again :lol:

only ones i really make now from scratch is occults if i lack some

and/or recreating premades from older games... for which its usually really just lack of correct hairstyle or clothing options...

oh and yes naming. always problematic. my phone be thinking im having my 100th baby by now judging from things i google
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Hauk150Hauk150 Posts: 358 Member
    The hardest part for me is crating the face, I find it hard to make different and unique faces, and lots of times for that reason I end using the same features like brows, eyes, hair, and the other features
    And like others said, I struggle with names too, lol
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Patience with the clothes in cas, especially when I just want to copy a style of a specific time era on another sims. It takes too much time. I miss just setting my favorite clothes.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    Choosing outfits. I have to give them five outfits for each category and it takes a while to coordinate outfits suited to their personality.
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 431 Member
    edited August 2021
    Not having the ability to copy/paste between outfit categories, especially with regards to makeup. Or to create our own presets.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    Adding
    or
    removing
    the
    glasses
    to
    every
    outfit

And
    then
    adding
    or
    removing
    the
    facial
    piercings
    from
    every
    outfit

too.
    gen3-banner.png
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    Designing of facial, hairstyle, and body.

Makeup for all outfits. First I have to remove, then apply what I want.

Outfits.

Name.

I always forget voice, so a lot of my sims' voices don't match what I want them to sound like.

Then I start playing and the sim has aged a third of the life expand because it took me so long to finish making them.