Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to play...but I don't want to play!

Comments

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    edited August 2021
    Started with Sim City 2000. I actually got my keyboard and mouse taken away in school for playing "Sim City 2000" instead of studying for exams, heh! Truth.

Sims 4 is my first "The Sims" game. I'm quite impressed. I try not to force too much. I want to, but trained myself to let things flow. Not be a dictator all the time, or 'omnipotent' mayor like in the city building games.

Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    I understand that. I've felt that way from time to time. What I do when I feel I want to play Sims 4 but just bored with it, is I turn to my Sims 3 & play that for a little bit of time. Plus, it gives me perspective of Sims 4. As much as I've always thought that Sims 3 Color Wheel, cool cars, wonderful Bridgeport/Moonlight Falls, Fairies, Genies, Werewolves & Time Travel were perfect. I've recently realized that I was never ever able to build in Sims 3 like I can in Sims 4. Also, I wasn't ever able to have my multiple occult hybrids thanks to traits in Sims 3 like in Sims 4. There's more world choices in Sims 4. More hairstyles, clothing, makeup, occult eyes, skills, traits, careers & roof swatches. And we can share our creative sims & lots in the Gallery for other simmers to play. ;)
  • lzbthnndglslzbthnndgls Posts: 285 Member
    Some of my favorite responses to this post:
    Amapola76 wrote: »

It's entertainment, not an obligation; if you're having to force it, and it's not fun, then it's time for a break.
    wahini2024 wrote: »
    Could be burnout, I get it with various hobbies at varying degrees from time to time. Sometimes a break is all you need to feel refreshed again with your hobby or an activity you truly enjoy. 😊
    Nope, I go through long months without playing and I've been playing since it came out as well. Sometimes a break is just a good thing. I've been really playing a lot lately though because of cottage living.

My two cents: Definitely don't feel obligated to play. It's a game. I hop between Sims4, Minecraft, Valheim, and puzzle games like sudoku or kakuro. I play games while I have something playing on the TV to relax and unwind to. When I play, I want to forget about my day and what's going on around me. I want to immerse myself in another world. Sometimes that world is full of numbers or it's full of blocks and friends (sometimes I do feel bad when I go awol on my favorite server but I'm always welcomed back with welcomed arms), and sometimes, I crave the freedom of the sims and how sandboxy it is.

When I play the sims, I get to choose how I play. Do I want a challenge? Do I want some cute family moments? Do I want to rotate through a bunch of families and play for speed? Do I want to build something? Lately, I've been building New Orleans-inspired entresols in Willow Creek and playing a rotational save that I started with a bunch of random sims from the gallery. I'm on generation 3 for thirteen different families that are almost all interrelated to each other. I have multiple rotational saves because I love seeing how the sims interact with their neighbors and cause drama and forge their own paths as they grow up. I have so many different storylines and I can switch between them depending on my mood without completely loading a new save. At the moment, the current family I am playing is a young single father who loves exploring and adventuring and living on the edge. His late wife loved all those things as well but it was a huge wake up call when she died on their last adventure, leaving him alone with their toddler. While I did cheat her death for dramatic effect, I always intended for her to die so I could play through the father's grief and how he moves on with his life. Maybe he'll reconnect with the sister he hasn't seen since his parents' messy divorce? Maybe he'll drink too much juice and his brother will take custody of his kid? Maybe he'll get back together with his high school sweetheart? This family has a lot of history and I love that about rotational play.

The sims should be fun to play. Nay, any game you play should be for fun. Remember why you started playing to begin with. Was it to forget about your stressful work day like me? Was it to express your creativity or experiment? Think about that and when you're in the mood, you're in the mood. No need to force it.
    Check out my builds on the gallery by searching my username: lzbthnndgls
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I've had plenty of extended stretches away from the Sims because I just get burned out on it and bored. I have a ton of other games, so if I'm playing 4X games or Total War titles or Truck Simulator or sports games or whatever for months, that's just the way it goes. The Sims will be there when I want to come back to it.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I take frequent breaks -- had an extended one because I just couldn't see playing, literally (had bad cataracts). Sometimes instead of playing I'll do some building/remodeling especially in the time period between patches and mod updates, or just when we get new content. And I have other activities to keep me busy -- yesterday hosted a small birthday party for a dear friend here in my retirement community who turned 87, then hung out and chatted till we played bingo. (If they ever want to do an Elders pack I've got some ideas...) B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    i feel you on occasion. Lately i've been wanting to sim but then get busy with other things. it's fine tho. An suggestion is to play another version like for me, i've been playing the sims 2. Might even go with 3 and download base, seasons and island paradise!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Hitting a dead phase with the game is the worst. I always find that I'll play for months and love the game, then I'll just lose interest entirely and no matter what I won't be able to get back into it for at least 3 weeks. I always end up trying to keep playing, start a new save, come up with so many interesting new things to do, etc but even then I just can't get interested.. I've been having that recently too, for the past month I just boot up the game and go straight to CAS to make sims, then go in game for 10 minutes and close it for the day. It's frustrating because I also really want to play the game and enjoy it again but alas :s
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    I haven’t played in 2 or 3 weeks now. The plants reverting to dirt frustrate me too much, and I don’t use mods or CC. While I like the kits ok, I preferred the stuff packs where you got new hair, new clothes, new build/buy and a new game play item….
  • SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited August 2021
    I’m the same way as you—I want to play, but I don’t want to play, lol. I think I’m going to take a break & work on another project that I’ve been wanting to start, though I may come back & try a legacy challenge again, lol. We’ll see. I hope you find your enthusiasm again!
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    Sometimes you just need a break from the game, and/or a new game to play, it doesn’t have to be a Sims either.

When I was tired of playing sims 4 I play other games, it’s the same when the sims 4 stresses me out (I bought the farming game for it and a fox took my egg and for some reason that stressed me out way too much) I just quit playing the game when I pick the game back up I don’t think I’m playing the farm town for awhile.

Right now I’m playing Pokémon Sword and I’m honestly enjoying it a lot, I also miss Urbz and the other sims console games… I wish EA had the rights to Urbz because I’d love to play it on my current console. I also miss Sims Medieval and Sims castaways stories.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2021
    I make CC whenever I need a break from the game.

Well, actually I should say .... playing the game usually inspires me to make something that I can't find and want/need in my game. I'm a very visual person so whenever I am playing out a story, my environment must match the story otherwise it's too immersion breaking to me.

So let's say I had a storyline in my head where my male sim is going to meet his true love, who happens to be a doctor. So in my story the guy is a construction worker who got hurt and needs to go to the hospital for treatment, which is how he meets his future wife. I need that setting to match my story, so off I go to hunt down CC to create that "scene" for story telling pics.

But, I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so now .... because I'm stubborn and determined and won't give up or "settle" on something else, I end up making it myself ..... which then leads me down the rabbithole of creating and I keep busy with that.

After a few weeks of creating, I'll then need a break from it because either things aren't working out like I want them to with the limitations of the game and I'm frustrated and just need to set that project aside and pick it back up at a later date, or I've lost my mojo and inspiration .... so back into the game I go (until the next time I "must have" a certain thing in my game) and the cycle repeats itself.

So yeah ... I get bored too, but I'm usually always doing something sims related 90% of my free time.
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    I make CC whenever I need a break from the game.

Well, actually I should say .... playing the game usually inspires me to make something that I can't find and want/need in my game. I'm a very visual person so whenever I am playing out a story, my environment must match the story otherwise it's too immersion breaking to me.

So let's say I had a storyline in my head where my male sim is going to meet his true love, who happens to be a doctor. So in my story the guy is a construction worker who got hurt and needs to go to the hospital for treatment, which is how he meets his future wife. I need that setting to match my story, so off I go to hunt down CC to create that "scene" for story telling pics.

But, I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, so now .... because I'm stubborn and determined and won't give up or "settle" on something else, I end up making it myself ..... which then leads me down the rabbithole of creating and I keep busy with that.

After a few weeks of creating, I'll then need a break from it because either things aren't working out like I want them to with the limitations of the game and I'm frustrated and just need to set that project aside and pick it back up at a later date, or I've lost my mojo and inspiration .... so back into the game I go (until the next time I "must have" a certain thing in my game) and the cycle repeats itself.

So yeah ... I get bored too, but I'm usually always doing something sims related 90% of my free time.

Do you mind using mods? There is a SimRealist mod called Private Practice which just expanded from it's original conception to include a clinic, where your Sim can have a check-up.
    Here's Erik Cantrell, Rock Star, having his blood-pressure taken.
    GAEu1TI.jpg
    To pin down his ailment, he had to have additional tests run. Here he's getting an X-Ray taken.
    TDa1EIF.jpg

Somewhere I have a screenshot of the Clinic itself. Can't find it at the moment. But, it's really cool.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    @GalacticGal Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out and your pics look awesome!

And yeah, *looks in my mods folder at the 200+ mods in there (that's mods, not CC! CC is a whole other rabbit hole)*** I'm in no way against mods. LOL
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    @GalacticGal Thanks for the info, I'll have to check it out and your pics look awesome!

And yeah, *looks in my mods folder at the 200+ mods in there (that's mods, not CC! CC is a whole other rabbit hole)*** I'm in no way against mods. LOL

Thank you. I'm kicking myself that I can't find the specific front of the Clinic. The mod comes with a Tray download, too, for some ready built clinics. All you have to do is place them. Use the Generic Lot Trait, and under the three traits place the Private Practice symbol. Save and double-check it in map mode, because sometimes it wants to revert, initially.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MichelleWMichelleW Posts: 665 Member
    I can relate, I'm also 37,been playing since I was 16, never actually completed that legacy challenge I have started a few too many times... I take huge breaks in playing because I get bored.
    I found a channel on YouTube called Petey plays it, his videos have brought new life into the game for me. A lot of things I forgot about or didn't know about.
    Another thing that has revived the game for me has been redoing my in game clubs and using them to create teen clubs and hobby based clubs.
    Simlicy has a really great save file that is worth playing in.
    Cottage living has become a favorite for me, I wasn't really into farming or gardening but I'm enjoying it in this pack.
    I have also been doing rotation playing so I have 3 families I play and they all live in different neighborhoods.
    Try creating some vacation areas. I turned the vampire world into a campground and the little mountain area in strangerville to a luxury vacation spot, the area is beautiful.
    Hope that helps bring the fun back.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I felt the same way. And I also kept getting to Gen 4 or 5 and would quit.

So then I gave the Decades Challenge a shot. I love it. Every decade is different which presents new challenges to the game given what was going on in the world during each Era.

I started well over a year ago and have not finished. Which is not due to my lack of not wanting to play but life changes and not having as much time to play as I use to. If you just need a break, then take a break, but if you are wanting to play and just need something different, then definitely try a challenge out.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    For me I found myself getting bored quickly for the is only so much you can do with items and less robust features and I find myself going back to the early versions as they contain the features that I would love to see in Sims 4. Having neighborhoods with static lots and not an whole lot usable real estate can be frustrating especially if you do not want to involve an another neighborhood. I also go to my other games and play them.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    Sometimes you just need a break. If you’re not feeling it, do something else for a while. Likely the desire to Sim will come back. It does for me. Maybe a day or two, maybe a week or two…

This is what I do. Take a break from the sims and play something....like Elder Scrolls Online...which has houses....that you can decorate....so maybe not so different 🤷‍♀️. At least in ESO if I encounter a vampire( none named Vlad, but hey I can pretend, right, lol) I can "deal" with them in a gruesome way whereas in the Sims I cant.
  • HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    I’ve been kind of at this point for the last few weeks. In my case, it’s a combo of two things: real life stressors making me generally restless and hitting a wall with the storylines in my save file. I had been building up to having some of my sims climb Mt. Komorebi, then hit the bug that made it impossible. Since the solution isn’t retroactive, I had to move everyone over into a new save, which is a pain.

What I’ve been doing instead of playing is fleshing out the world for my sims. I’ve been replacing lots, finding new mods that will add gameplay, and creating background families. I decided I liked the new version so much, I made a copy of the save (so I don’t lose my favorite sims), deleted my sims, and started fleshing out new families to play. They’re getting skills, jobs, relationships, and clubs so that when I’m ready to play with either my last round of sims or this new round, the world will feel alive to me. If I weren’t feeling it, I wouldn’t boot up the game just because I felt like I had to, but there’s enough other aspects of the game that I feel like I’m still taking a break without actually taking a break. I also spent a weekend playing a legacy on short; only made it to gen 2, but it broke up my usual gameplay style for a bit and let me try some new CL things.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I have a whole load of games I play, for Sims in particular I have 2, 3 and 4. I used to be able to play all of them non stop, but the last year or so I find I get tired of it after a couple of days and move on to something else, I still play all three regularly, just not for as long. I also sprinkle other games in there as well, but same thing happens, I get tired of it after a few days. I usually just search the web or watch tv shows or movies for a little while then I am ready to get back to games.
  • JustKeepSimming2JustKeepSimming2 Posts: 31 Member
    Taking breaks is healthy, but once you are that involved, it will always be a part of you :).
  • SuzieAdvieSuzieAdvie Posts: 8 New Member
    Long time player, Seldom comment. However, I have to say I have gone through spurts of boredom with the game as well. I even took an entire 2-year hiatus. Didn't play it for a full 2 years, so I was very excited about it again when I returned. I purchased every bit of every thing that had been released in my absence. I really think the game has so much potential! I get excited every time a new EP comes out, only to be disappointed time and again. Likewise, I missed the thread where EA was taking people's suggestions and wish I had not, because I've got a lot of thoughts on that topic. But it was already closed before I even read it. I think the boredom with the game stems from it not being very in depth. All sims act basically the same, you can dress them differently, but eventually they all act the same, even though you've set their traits to behave a certain way. They just don't. Also, there's no synergy between the sims and their work experiences. How come my supposedly famous author (Get Famous EP) isn't getting her book made into a film? And if her book were made into a film, couldn't my actor sims gain starring roles? And then all the movie goers could go into town and watch that film at the cinema. All the careers could interact and complement one another, and it would make the game more interesting, and more realistic. How come my sim can not be a maid as a career option? That way, when the maid comes, she is an actual sim with a family a house and a story, not just some character with no more depth than the birds that fly past. The game has become just routine same old/same old with every home. Nothing is unique except the styles. It almost seems a chore rather than a game when you hit that point.
    The other thing that I think needs to be changed is that there aren't enough playable lots with the EPs. It discourages me from purchasing future packs because I feel as if I have been duped with past purchases. They are all full of gorgeous looking homes and land areas that are nothing more than decorative graphics because you can't play on or in any of them at all. So I still haven't bought the cottage EP yet. I have all the others and honestly feel a bit ripped off. All that money I spent, and they're pretty much just decorative items added with very little new content or playable features. Sheesh, I've kind of hijacked this thread with my little rant, sorry about that. Going back to the original point, I agree the game gets boring and think that is because it's almost like a "Farmville esque" routine. Nothing sporadic or exciting ever happens. You feel as though you're just digital babysitting.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,955 Member
    Okay so I just completed Urbz :sunglasses:

... well sort of cause Neo won't let me tag his face (sneaky lil...)
    and I've got to style Loop D. again cause it glitched out and didn't fill my goal :neutral:

but otherwise goals done!
    and Darius Penthouse is mine :sunglasses:

few crashes ...
    lots of laggy annoyances...
    annoying camera pan zoom problems...
    and autonomy that cannot be toggled off :weary:

makes me appreciate sims 4 all the more whew.

But now its time to take the good parts to Sims 4 :sunglasses:

I just so wish we had some more items for that... it feels like they skillfully dodged about every gameplay object in urbz :lol:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I don't know all of the different playstyles - for me, it's a time consuming game because I like to play out an arc for my character. Whether it's get some specific skills, relationships, or promotions - I have a vision before I sign in. If I don't have a good idea what to do, I don't force it.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I have been on a weird kind of break. This summer has been ridiculously busy, stressful and yet oddly satisfying at the same time. As I watch the leaves changing and feel the nights getting cooler, I get a yearning for some down time so I can play again without worrying I am not doing some chore I should be doing, but I'm sitting in front of my computer. Last weekend I had three hours all to myself to play and it felt like three minutes. But there have been times when I have taken voluntary breaks from the game because of boredom or lack of interest. It happens every few months, and is totally understandable. During those breaks I turn my attention to my crafting and finish projects I have been putting off in favor of playing my beloved Sims games. Or I play Sims3 for a little while. I take a step back and realize my mind wants to do something else. Just because you feel you're bored with the game that might not be what is happening at all. Your mind is craving something more stimulating. And there is nothing wrong with you or the game. So take a break and don't feel guilty about doing it. Find something to do that is more challenging, something that isn't related to Sims4. I can guarantee you'll go back to playing with a new, fresh outlook, and you'll love Sims4 even more than you did before taking a break.