Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 brought in almost half a billion dollars in the past year

Comments

• lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Too bad they don't use that money to test their game or add new features instead of reusing old ones so they don't have to model/animate something new 🙄

Seems to me like EA sees how much money TS4 makes, and how people will just buy whatever they give us, so they take the HUGE revenue from it and funnel it towards other games. I'm tired...
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    If Sims 4 wants to make that Pokemon or League of Legends money, they better take a page from their page and put some dragons into their product.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    That's a good thing. Looks like we still have several more years of content to look forward to. And refreshes. 😊
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Sometimes we forget just how big games gave gotten.
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Awesome!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited August 2021
    Hopefully some of that money goes back towards investing into Maxis. I think they actually are opening new studios but I hope that they will hire more people to help them with bug fixes and Quality Assurance as well. The game really needs it.

Maxis, please tell your bosses that there are people right now that can't even play your game because of recent bugs (like the game spawning tons of empty households). I'm pretty sure that is hurting sales.

The mistakes with your recent kit are probably not improving sales either, I mean, you had to remove the kit from origin until it is fixed...

And if they complain about money, tell them that you brought in half a billion dollars.

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    You are forgetting that last year many people were, (rightly or wrongly) on lockdown due to Covid-19. the rise if game purchases has likely gone up across the board. Not everybody is working at a job, after all. Some were struggling with boredom, no doubt. I'm not one to bash companies for making money. If you don't like something just don't buy it. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    It would be nice if they invested more of it into improving the game. Maybe hire some staff that can program, animate and bug fix the game.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm happy to hear that🥳🥳🥳 I wish I could have a few hundreds out of that👀 lol
    But I want them to thrive!!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Hopefully some of that money goes back towards investing into Maxis. I think they actually are opening new studios but I hope that they will hire more people to help them with bug fixes and Quality Assurance as well. The game really needs it.

Maxis, please tell your bosses that there are people right now that can't even play your game because of recent bugs (like the game spawning tons of empty households). I'm pretty sure that is hurting sales.

The mistakes with your recent kit are probably not improving sales either, I mean, you had to remove the kit from origin until it is fixed...

And if they complain about money, tell them that you brought in half a billion dollars.

Agree. I really hope they put some of that money into the game and the team, rather than well, other places
    giphy.webp
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    The candy crush tho 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    If you keep raking in the money without putting something back in to the product you are selling it almost always end badly
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,949 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    If Sims 4 wants to make that Pokemon or League of Legends money, they better take a page from their page and put some dragons into their product.

I mean to be fair I sit through whole Game of Thrones just to see dragons so adding a dragon can certainly make things more popular than they should be and sims team should definitely make use of this fact
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • LynnPlayz1LynnPlayz1 Posts: 548 Member
    Gordy wrote: »

Did someone say dragons? 👀 I'd love to see dragons lol. Though, it probably wouldn't work well in the modern setting; but then again there's Realm of Magic. I'm generally not a big fan of modern fantasy, preferring mediaeval. However, I've been making some of my Dungeons & Dragons characters into Sims and I'm not hating it.
    edited August 2021
    The candy crush tho 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Didn't even notice that🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

But that's why all these companies are so desperate to convert to microtransctions. No matter how much we complain about it look at how much these games are making🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I play roblox and think it's the biggest rip off yet. But it's on top lol. So any complaints I may have means nothing. Candy crush making more than sims is like the ultimate low🤣🤣🤣
    No offense to anyone who like to splurge on candy crush though👀
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    The candy crush tho 🤣🤣🤣🤣

But that's why all these companies are so desperate to convert to microtransctions. No matter how much we complain about it look at how much these games are making🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ I play roblox and think it's the biggest rip off yet. But it's on top lol. So any complaints I may have means nothing. Candy crush making more than sims is like the ultimate low🤣🤣🤣

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Roblox lol. They have some really great games on there, but I agree a lot of it is a total rip-off. I've only ever bought like, $1.50 in Robux and that was so my character wasn't the default one lol. There's tons of young kids who play that spend hundreds in the catalog, it's crazy.
    The candy crush tho 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Roblox lol. They have some really great games on there, but I agree a lot of it is a total rip-off. I've only ever bought like, $1.50 in Robux and that was so my character wasn't the default one lol. There's tons of young kids who play that spend hundreds in the catalog, it's crazy.

Honestly I've had a lot of fun on there with the right games and right crowd of players!
    All I currently play is sims and roblox.
    Yea I had to upgrade my character too 😅😅 but not much more than that. It's hard to justify😆

But for my neice (8 years old) and other kids in my family microtransctions are totally normal for them. I swear I've probably spent a total of 500 on robux for them😣😣 I'm ashamed to admit it but it's literally all they want. They don't want toys or nothing I offer. my neice's birthday is coming up and I asked her what she wants she said "robux" lol😵😵
  • Holly69Holly69 Posts: 9 New Member
    We love to hate on the EA money machine but in all fairness they make some very good games. Kudos to the soulless corporation:)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,963 Member
    I don’t mind them making money, that’s the reason they are around. But I wish sims 4 would put more time into fixing game breaking bugs

I have never used mods or CC because I didn’t want problems with the game ( and was afraid I might mess something up in the game ). I own all sims 4 packs except their last kit. Yet they still can’t fix the plants reverting to dirt ( bug ). Dine out also needs fixing. Some bugs are really game breaking for me, and I don’t feel like I am contributing to the breaks because I don’t use other products for the game other than Maxis made.

I’m to the point of thinking like someone else mentioned, in a thread, use the game changers that that you give packs to, to play the game to figure out bugs in the game and then have the devs spend more time on fixing the bugs.

I love new content very much, but my vanilla game is getting so broken I dread getting into it anymore. Please concentrate on what’s broken. I love spending money on a game that works,

I came into the sims 4 in 2014 with so much enthusiasm. Even though my game is vanilla, and there isn’t as much depth to it as some past sims games, I still would enjoy it if the game bugs were fixed in a timely manner. Making new packs and putting bugs over more bugs is getting very frustrating, I think they should sell unproblematic re-skinned kits while spending more time and money on bug fixes at this point in the game is the way to go, until problem making bugs are fixed.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    If they made so much money why haven't they hired a team of talented programmers to fix bugs? The game desperately needs it. Oh, wait that would probably dip into to the yacht budget. :(
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    edited August 2021
    @lexibee wrote: »
    Too bad they don't use that money to test their game or add new features instead of reusing old ones so they don't have to model/animate something new 🙄

Seems to me like EA sees how much money TS4 makes, and how people will just buy whatever they give us, so they take the HUGE revenue from it and funnel it towards other games. I'm tired...

Remember how Battlefield V Failed to meet their expectations yet somehow DICE was able to make a better and bigger game with their upcoming Battlefield 2042 to the point that they even made a CGI Short Film! Guess it is obvious now where is the money going.

Meanwhile if The Sims 4 failed to meet expectations at launch, then it would have been shut down with Maxis Emeryville in 2014. EA just didn't shut the game off because The Sims Team seems to rush Get to Work so that EA would not shut them down and have something to show.

It is unfair when DICE, Bioware (Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem the Disappointment) and other EA Studios failed a project and EA gives them bigger funding for their next game. Meanwhile when a Maxis game flopped (SimCity, Spore) EA has no hesitation to shut down the franchise or worse, the studio.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    @lexibee wrote: »

Remember how Battlefield V Failed to meet their expectations yet somehow DICE was able to make a better and bigger game with their upcoming Battlefield 2042 to the point that they even made a CGI Short Film! Guess it is obvious now where is the money going.

Meanwhile if The Sims 4 failed to meet expectations at launch, then it would have been shut down with Maxis Emeryville in 2014. EA just didn't shut the game off because The Sims Team seems to rush Get to Work so that EA would not shut them down and have something to show.

It is unfair when DICE, Bioware (Mass Effect Andromeda and Anthem the Disappointment) and other EA Studios failed a project and EA gives them bigger funding for their next game. Meanwhile when a Maxis game flopped (SimCity, Spore) EA has no hesitation to shut down the franchise or worse, the studio.

Totally agree! There is an unfair double standard about games. EA knows that RPGs, shooters and other mainstream games are profitable, while the Sims they consider to be a "niche" game, not worthy of the funding.
    I have no doubt that if the Sims 4 didn't sell well, they'd throw it out and funnel all that money to games like Battlefield.
    It's disappointing that EA doesn't value the Sims franchise (or any other non-combat based franchise). I think they will have to learn the hard way that simulation games can be just as profitable as their mainstream games. They should have learned that with SimCity and Cities Skylines. We'll see if they've learned anything when The Sims competitors start coming out (Paralives, etc.).