Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Industrial Loft KIT looks fine but...

Comments

• IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    x4m1r4 wrote: »
    At the same time nobody is forced to purchase this pack.

I think the kits were never designed to satisfy everybody, this is stuff for a specific group of players.

I would say, yes. It's for a specific group of Simmers only. I personally love it! I like this kind of style. :D
    OLD1jYW.png
    A9Qkl7r.png
    Tdg8hFK.png
    jxmLkdA.png

@x4m1r4 That build looks awesome! I had pretty much decided to get it, but now I am certain I will get good use from this Kit. I am getting it today, even if it doesn't fit my current farming obsession. ;) Wait - I could do something gritty like that for the Pub basement. There would be pipes under there and you wouldn't have your best furniture in a basement/cellar. :)
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    this Kit will also go well with Batuu builds.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    @x4m1r4 awesome build! Thanks for providing some inspiration. 😊
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    g01denswan wrote: »
    A lot of those items look like reskins recolors of items already in the game. And this is why CASt will never come back.

Which items are you referring to?

I just watched the video that James Turner made and the stuff he used look nothing like what’s shown in the photo I saw of the kit content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A8MtyNLkO0

Even if you think they do look alike, people would need to buy a bunch of packs to get all the content he used instead of only buying a $5.00 kit. Not everyone has already bought all those packs.

I hope EA does not listen to him about using cc creators to make kits as I think:

1. CC should remain free for those who cannot afford paid content
    2. If I wanted to use CC, I would already be doing so and supporting them
    3. Some CC creators make really bad content. Harry’s content isn’t the worst, but also isn’t the best that I’ve seen
    4. Some CC creators make non-Maxis match content which I don’t want in my game
    5. Some CC creators are already making big money and don’t need EA’s help

I think EA game changers should stick to influencing us to buy the game. I’ve noticed that many of them are now just trying to promote their own social media instead of the game so are agreeing with whatever is said by their followers without regard for truth.

Hah, after watching his video, I will say, yes, definitely look like recolors of included items. Do they look identical? No, they look like recolors. Many pieces look like they could not survive a game with CASt.

Nope. Mesh edits? Possibly. But not recolors. Create a Style isn't going to change the direction on the legs of the Bar chairs, or remove curtains from the bed (not to mention change the shape of the headboard), and those are the two items in the pack that I think are the most similar to existing ones. Last I checked, no version of Sims has an option to include Style Morphs for either furniture or clothing, so any change that can't be done with a displacement, bump, or normal map (which is any change in the angle of the structure, or gaps in the mesh, or large changes to size - including removal) needs a new mesh, or at least an edit of the old one.

I mean, while I've had this problem less in The Sims and more in working with Graphic art, I've had plenty of times when I've had two similarly meshed items where one just fit the scene better than the other, even if they were objectively practically the same item.

Thank you, I watched James' video and felt the final room looked off in scale and style. It did not feel cohesive to me.

I purchased the pack and think overall the items are well done. There are some missteps (the planter shelf would look better with succulents, the flowers look too outdoors. Also I think it should have two or more empty slots to make it more personalized, it would have been nice if the leather on the sofa had more of a matte texture with some distressing).

Also do not understand why people are seeing these as reskins or recolors. The detailing is quite different along with the style and vibe. For example having two canopy beds in the game. The City Living one has a slimmer silhouette, clean lines which make it more contemporary and the sheer drapes give it a softer feel. The Industrial loft bed has a heavier visual weight which I think looks better with the tall ceilings, the CL bed looks a little too small in scale. I do wish they had given us a C table to use as a nightstand, I know the sims will not interact with the drawers on the bed but in RL if you place a nightstand there you would not have access to your storage.

Same with comparing the Eco Lifestyle refurbished sofa to the new one. The EL one maybe shares some surface characteristics - 3 seater sofa with separate back cushions and a wooden frame but they are still two very different styles. To me the EL one has more of a Scandinavian clean style with the light maple wood frame and the open back. The Industrial one again is more substantial and has a more defined cushion with piping and some wrinkling. The wood has a slight reclaimed look.

I love CC and think Hey Harrie and Felix do amazing work - their Rum collection is the type of furniture I envisioned for the Dream Home Decorator pack. To be fair Harrie and Felix base their furniture on RL items - Felix has an Eames lounger chair in his London set, The Rum collection has a Tom Ford book and the modular sectional is based on a real life one (there is also an alpha version from Sunday Sims/Raventons). The devs can take inspiration but they have to be concerned with copyrights and licensing. It probably why they go for broader themes and not elevated styles.

I get that the windows are why people are comparing this new set to Moschino but Moschino's style is more trendy and pop art - sofas with tartan plaids and blown-out houndstooth in millennial blush, rugs with graphic prints and low sleek coffee tables made of glass and wood are not industrial.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    Nope, I think I'm going to skip this one, maybe. :D It seems to me to be similar to some of the excellent stuff we have already. I made a nice industrial loft in Ragdoll Referb in Brindelton Bay with just the stuff in the game already. I can afford the kit but I'm looking at maybe cutting down on the number of packs I buy from now on. I don't remember this many packs from previous franchises but then again, they ended after 5 years. Not too sure when Sims 4 is going to end.

I have a great gaming computer but everything has its limits.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    It's not that they're bad items. They look nice enough. But they're NOT WORTH IT. They're not worth the work, and they're not value for money. These things could be Stuff Packs. A functional object, some clothes, some building stuff. That's what makes up a Stuff Pack. In a Kit Pack, you get one of the three.

It's just that Kit Packs can be pushed out fast on months when EA has no other packs.

Most of the items in this kit have something very similar going on already, some as reskins like the two-level table or the chair. Or, it's a SOFA, how many of those do we have?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    bshag4lv wrote: »
    Nope, I think I'm going to skip this one, maybe. :D It seems to me to be similar to some of the excellent stuff we have already. I made a nice industrial loft in Ragdoll Referb in Brindelton Bay with just the stuff in the game already. I can afford the kit but I'm looking at maybe cutting down on the number of packs I buy from now on. I don't remember this many packs from previous franchises but then again, they ended after 5 years. Not too sure when Sims 4 is going to end.

I have a great gaming computer but everything has its limits.

Sims3 store added scores of other stuff, so Sims4 is no where near Sims3. 1place for Jungle Adventure and 3 for World Adventures. The islands in Sims3 had underwater world, houseboats, diving lots, and make your own lots. All worlds had quadruple or more lots than what we are getting. City on Sims3 had elevators and lots of lots ect. S3 Supernatural had loads of supernaturals all together and well we're paying for all of them seperately now. They may have some extras, but... S3 has graveyards, real infants, real babysitting jobs, real collecting of objects, real fish tanks, and so much else that I could write several more paragraphs.

Anyways... as far as the industrial pack, I'm going to wait and see if later on I want to pass on a GP and just bundle sometime. Some of it is nice and $5 isn't much, but there's no real wow in there for me. The pipe look is nice, but I just don't see it.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    trophy wrote: »
    Also do not understand why people are seeing these as reskins or recolors.

cause most people dont really know what those terms mean, I am guessing, you'll see this regarding all kinds of topics where people know a few terms but dont really know what they mean and throw them arround with half baked knowledge as best.
    The same happend with the CAS kit (I forgot the name).
    What people are seeing are similarities in style, but that wouldnt be a big enough buzzword either "Oh this industrial kit has the same style as the industrial stuff we already have in game..." umm..yeah, duh they are both industrial :D

What I do get tho is people getting sick of the same styles/combinations being used over and over again, that was pretty evident in the CAS Kit on some pieces and can be said about the bed in this kit.
    EA/Maxis sometimes seems a bit stuck in their ways and uncreative or maybe afraid (?) to do something completely different at least in a larger way (not just two or three pieces), so the kits couldve really been an aid for that, a possibility to go more niche and be more daring but they dont seem to be going that way sadly.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »

What I do get tho is people getting sick of the same styles/combinations being used over and over again, that was pretty evident in the CAS Kit on some pieces and can be said about the bed in this kit.
    EA/Maxis sometimes seems a bit stuck in their ways and uncreative or maybe afraid (?) to do something completely different at least in a larger way (not just two or three pieces), so the kits couldve really been an aid for that, a possibility to go more niche and be more daring but they dont seem to be going that way sadly.

I have another idea for why some of the stuff seems similar. It's quite possible that the kits are using, or at least starting from, concepts from the art department that didn't get any further than concept art, and certain things were/are a style or design a particular artist likes and used several times ... and it's been long enough since the approved version was actually approved that they don't remember that the design is already in the game. I mean, even experienced builders have been blindsided by "when did they add that to the game" for items they don't use often.

But yes, while I don't mind having (with this kit) 3-4 variations on that particular couch and chair (the mission set in base game is also broadly similar, and what I expect James to use for his video) because different ones will match the style of different sims, I also would like kits to take a few more risks rather than running through the ... I don't want to say discard pile... edit pile?

And I really was expecting this kit to be CAS or gameplay.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    I totally agree with this tweet

This KIT should have more windows, which are popular in real lofts:

15696429-https-bi.jpeg

loft.jpg

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    @x4m1r4 I love what you've done with it!

I doubt if I will buy this for a while as I am currently in the thick of chickens and llamas, but I could see me wanting this in the future.

Thank you! :D
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I'm not so conserned with the lack of suitable lots. Getting a new theme would basically be a great excuse to rebuild some of the existing lots, + I could use the industrial style with many of my exusting builds. I agree these will be great at Spice Market, but also at Whiskerman's Wharf, and perhaps in Oaasis Springs. Most of my shopping malls can make use of some of these items, and those having the Star Wars pack might make use of it on that other planet (if possible to build there, that is)? Evergreen Harbor already have the industrial vibe, would be a perfect match.

That said, not sure I'll grab this kit quite yet (still enjoying CoL very much with still plenty of features to explore), but I just got aware of it and will definitely look up the content.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    I totally agree with this tweet

This KIT should have more windows, which are popular in real lofts:
    15696429-https-bi.jpeg

loft.jpg

My only bone to pick with that tweet is that if they add operational doors to that archway then they’re closed all the time unless a sim walks through and it becomes not a completely unique archway compared to those we already have, but just another played out set of French window doors with a grimy texture on the panes. 😴 I do wish though that it could at least add a medium height variant.
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    I wish they would focus on gameplay and new worlds to go along with these kits they are releasing. I would love to have a middle eastern world to go along with Courtyard Oasis kit and new gym equipment like stationary exercise bikes to go along with throwback fit kit.

I don't feel they need to collaborate with CC on objects. They need to focus on the gameplay items. The kind that needs animations.
    SnaveXs wrote: »
    I wish they would focus on gameplay and new worlds to go along with these kits they are releasing. I would love to have a middle eastern world to go along with Courtyard Oasis kit and new gym equipment like stationary exercise bikes to go along with throwback fit kit.

I don't feel they need to collaborate with CC on objects. They need to focus on the gameplay items. The kind that needs animations.

I do wish we could get another empty world like Newcrest only with a totally different vibe.
  • AgentJuliaAgentJulia Posts: 77 Member
    I hope they actually listen to the Deligracy tweet seeing as she is a prominent figure in the Sims community.

Also, I just found this promo image from an event from the Sims Freeplay back in March. I suppose we should have anticipated this kit... (the couches are WAY too similar to be a coincidence).
    VYzArUx.png
    AgentJulia wrote: »
    I hope they actually listen to the Deligracy tweet seeing as she is a prominent figure in the Sims community.

Also, I just found this promo image from an event from the Sims Freeplay back in March. I suppose we should have anticipated this kit... (the couches are WAY too similar to be a coincidence).
    VYzArUx.png

Except the archway, I really love it the way it is. Other than maybe making it taller I hope they leave it alone.
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I have another idea for why some of the stuff seems similar. It's quite possible that the kits are using, or at least starting from, concepts from the art department that didn't get any further than concept art, and certain things were/are a style or design a particular artist likes and used several times ... and it's been long enough since the approved version was actually approved that they don't remember that the design is already in the game. I mean, even experienced builders have been blindsided by "when did they add that to the game" for items they don't use often.

yeah, I can see that happening every now and then, but there are alot of pieces in CAS and BB that are variations of the same style if you look at all the packs...so it seems more intentional to me, like they are more going for the "tried and true" than them simply forgetting what is in game already.
    That said, I dont mind variations of the same style in general (I am actually happy we got another bed with that frame) it's just that I dont need a 1000 variations of it.
    I really liked the moroccan kit, that didnt seem like it was meant to fit into any kind of previous pack, so they can do it.
    And I really was expecting this kit to be CAS or gameplay.

me too, tho I can always use BB so it's fine by me :)

• MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    08-26-21-10-58-42-PM.png
    Base game window
    capsule-616x353.jpg
    ILK window. What is this tomfoolery?
  • ThetfordThetford Posts: 429 Member
    edited August 2021
    Part of me thinks that people are only calling the coffee table a copy is simply because it is split level, had it been simply been a single level table, like all other coffee tables, no one would have batted an eyelid. Same with the bed being a four poster bed.

Anyway, there seems to be two schools of thought about this:

A- Sets should be unique in style to create more variety. (Example, the Courtyard Oasis Kit)

B- Sets should complement existing sets to maximise usability (Example, the Mid Century Modern Sets across a lot of the packs).

I'm reminded of how one of Deligracy's criticisms of the Courtyard Oasis Kit was how the tileless walls used the same texture as the tileless walls from Jungle Adventure. On the other hand, I saw that as a benefit as it allows both to mix in with each other, while at the same time not requiring both packs to complete it.

In regards to my own opinions of this Kit, I'm just ... whelmed. It's OK, nothing spectacular, but not a crime against humanity either. Honestly, I think the Kit would have worked better if it focused purely on the architectural stuff and fittings (doors, windows, exposed beams, ductwork, grafitti/wall art and utilities etc) rather than including the furnishings.
  • Holly69Holly69 Posts: 9 New Member
    > @simsplayer86 said:
    > I can't believe there is only one new window with this kit.

And its not even that new. Looks suspiciously similar to the Mega Deluxe arch window :neutral:
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'll say it again, this pack would not survive a game with CASt. Which is why CASt will not come back.

cause most people dont really know what those terms mean, I am guessing, you'll see this regarding all kinds of topics where people know a few terms but dont really know what they mean and throw them arround with half baked knowledge as best.
    What people are seeing are similarities in style, but that wouldnt be a big enough buzzword either "Oh this industrial kit has the same style as the industrial stuff we already have in game..." umm..yeah, duh they are both industrial :D

Or maybe, just maybe, they're similar enough that someone like me will say (more than once) that a kit like this would not survive in a game which had create a style. They do remind me of recolors -- and yes, I know what that means :)

I'm probably not communicating well. In Sims 3, you could and change the color/pattern. It's just a basic feature of the game. So if you have two pieces of furniture or build items with very similar shapes, with a tool like CASt, you could make them nearly identical. The point of both of my comments was that we won't see CASt in Sims 5 because of this. It's why I mentioned CASt.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I'll say it again, this pack would not survive a game with CASt. Which is why CASt will not come back.

Or maybe, just maybe, they're similar enough that someone like me will say (more than once) that a kit like this would not survive in a game which had create a style. They do remind me of recolors -- and yes, I know what that means :)

I'm probably not communicating well. In Sims 3, you could and change the color/pattern. It's just a basic feature of the game. So if you have two pieces of furniture or build items with very similar shapes, with a tool like CASt, you could make them nearly identical. The point of both of my comments was that we won't see CASt in Sims 5 because of this. It's why I mentioned CASt.

It may happen. Paralives has a color wheel so it's possible the sims 5 will have similar features.
    Thetford wrote: »
    A- Sets should be unique in style to create more variety. (Example, the Courtyard Oasis Kit)

B- Sets should complement existing sets to maximise usability (Example, the Mid Century Modern Sets across a lot of the packs).

you know, I understand both tbh and I kinda feel a need for both personally, but when I think of complementing existing sets it is more about stuff we dont already have in that style, like for example: what about an industrial looking bathroom? or a country bathroom?
    I dont feel the need for the 10th variation of a chunky modern counter (with half of them coming without fitting wallpieces).