Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Expansion Refresh - Get to Work

I thought it would be cool to make a thread for each pack that we have. What would you like to see in the way of gameplay, build/buy and CAS improvements for Get to Work?

My thoughts:
Home businesses - can operate business from occupied residential lot
Allow NPC jobs to be held by playable sims - update all NPC jobs to be either rabbit-hole or active careers for our sims
Ability to manage who has what job/NPC role from manage worlds and CAS
Require interview to secure job - can be hired at higher level if sim has required skills
Private school - increases child and sim skills while they are at school
Need to purchase clothing in order to wear it
Real-estate mogul aspiration where sims can earn passive income from owning and renting out residential and commercial lots at value determined by lot value

What are your thoughts and ideas?

Comments

• simopolissimopolis Posts: 147 Member
    100% agree with that!!!! Perhaps even add police station and science lab to the list of places sims can visit? By introducing robberies perhaps to the base game? And as way to transform metals and crystals and such from the base game instead of sending them away?!!!

Also just thought how cool it would be to flesh-out aliens a bit more. Give them some cooler powers. This is the only expansion pack without a livable world...why not add a residential and commercial Sixam?!
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I'd love more interactions for sims in the active careers outside of their work hours. My doctor sim can check her partner for hotness as a romantic interaction....but if someone is actually sick in the household, I don't really see any interaction option for her. Would be nice if she could actually give a check up, send a sick sim to bed to rest, or write a prescription and the medicine would appear in the inventory. For detective sims, maybe have some interaction with sims causing mischief, some kind of confrontation with vampires openly feeding on other sims, breaking up brawls, having a word with those showering in the rain in public, there's so many things they could potentially do. For scientists, perhaps more conversation options or activities with aliens, though I'm quite happy with all they can do already with their inventions. I also thought a scientist should have some advantage to solving the Strangervillle mystery over a regular sim.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    The poor Aliens so needs to work more like Vampires. Also, the 4 lot world needs to expand to 12 lots. And, the careers needs some improvements as well.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited September 2021
    I loved get to work. I have always thought of retail as a very important feature in a sims game. And I love the active careers with work places. I wish we had more of them!

My greatest hope in refreshing ‘Get to Work’ would be to bring about a clothing challenge where you have to pay for clothes to open them up in your CAS. And by adding clothing racks ( full body, pants, tops ), hat boxes, accessory counters (jewelry, socks, glasses, lingerie etc.) rather than having to buy a whole outfit off of a mannequin.

For the careers I wish they would add a work from home option.

The second main feature I would like to see is to have retail more like Dine Out, where you can set up a store without having owners if you want to. I use retail mostly to buy things rather than running a business.

Also, I would like to see them add fruit and vegetable bins for us to use in our grocery stores as well as maybe some frozen/canned meals. It would be nice if we could store flour, sugar, spices and other things that don’t require a fridge, in the cupboards.

Someone else added being able to have a business at home. If that is possible I would like that too. I know we have the sales tables now, but we can’t sell the furniture made without owning an outside business.

It would also be nice if we could enter the work places. Maybe talk to the people while they are going about their jobs autonomously., and, adding a few additional empty lots to Magnolia Promenade would sure be appreciated too. It would be great if we could combine lots ( retail, restaurant, bar as example ) to make a mall, but I can also see that in a pack of it’s own.

I’m really glad they gave us these careers and retail early in the game.

@simopolis I would like to see a refresh for ‘Get Famous’ too. It desperately needs some beach lots and things.

Added because someone in another thread said I should also share this here.

A sim that gets extremely angry should be able to medicate or be treated by a doctor in GTW, maybe have surgery ( anger can cause high blood pressure, or a heart attack), before actually dying. However I still think some emotional deaths are dumb, like dying of laughter. I would like to be able to push my sims emotions to the limits making them extremely uncomfortable without them actually bitting the dust. Extreme laughter shouldn’t cause death, it should cause extreme happiness, giddiness, and possibly a dazed emotion, and being extremely embarrassed should cause extreme discomfort, tenseness, a miserable feeling, not death. I would love to see more diseases ( like high blood pressure from anger ) that make sims have to see the doctor, get medicine or surgery or something, and if they don’t take care of it, then they could die of it. Our sims should be able to go to the hospital for treatment before death.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Fonxi121994Fonxi121994 Posts: 457 Member
    The retail system needs a complete overhaul. While it's great they added it, this system lacks some important stuff and became more and more bugged over time. The ability to open a business on your own home should be added, and some functionality from later systems like vet clinics or restaurants should also be taken into place.

I don't really care about aliens or even been able to visit the hospital (though it'd be a great addition) but I really think the retail system is the main flaw of GTW.
    The changes came slowly at first. Most didn't realize, or didn't care, and accepted them. They chose a comfortable life.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Aliens need some skill tree and more CAS customization to look more alien.
  • simopolissimopolis Posts: 147 Member
    Love the clothing idea @SheriSim57 !! Great ideas everyone!! Seems like this would be a good one to refresh!!!
  • Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    Aliens need more attention in this pack, especially because they are important part of scientist career. For example I think they should have different reactions when abducted than ordinary sims. My alien scientist was abducted and the moodlet said “Aliens, awesome!” and something about amazing alien technology which is ridiculous because she IS an alien, lol. Also alien males when pregnant or abducted should have different reaction than dazed by “aliens using their probes” or the uncomfortable with not knowing what’s going on. This is what really disappoints me. Aliens can have sad or happy memories of Sixam while looking at piece of space rock, but when meeting their buddies in spaceship they act like it was the first time. Sometimes it seems like this occult state was forgotten along the way, which makes me very very sad. I hope some small improvements come in the future.
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Expanded aliens and an expanded & liveable Sixam!
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Home businesses - can operate business from occupied residential lot!!

I wish there was more to sims getting sick than just getting some OJ. At the moment sickness is only interesting if you actively play a sim that works as an doctor, otherwise there is nothing to do.

Other than that I would be very happy if alien sims could get some help, they sometimes change facial features when they change up to adults and I dislike not recognizing my sims when I meet them out in the world.

More Sixam would be wonderful, I love all mystical places. Just wish we had such a world to live in.
  • TheFlyingGentlemanTheFlyingGentleman Posts: 116 Member
    Buying/owning commercial lots for passive income should of came with GTW. Bring back the ticket machine from sims 2 as well.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Surprised we can't do online businesses with G2W. Plopsy wasn't part of that pack, but it would've made sense.

And yes, aliens could use some good tweaking. Alien furniture, appliances, houses, and other props would be great as well.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    A Get To Work Refresh should add actual Malls like Freeplay has. The pre patch could add a feature were we can have multiple lot types that all work eg a Restuarent and a Retail Store would work on the same lot.
  • TheFlyingGentlemanTheFlyingGentleman Posts: 116 Member
    A Get To Work Refresh should add actual Malls like Freeplay has. The pre patch could add a feature were we can have multiple lot types that all work eg a Restuarent and a Retail Store would work on the same lot.

If and when they add hotels multiple lot types that all work needs to be baked in.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Hidden lots form Get To Work can be implemented on map as unique lots from Get Together in my opinion. I think that GtW needs to have more BB objects for shops and CAS for staff. Possibility to have multifunctional lots and run your business in your house should be an obvious feature. Magnolia Promenade also should be expanded to something similar to Bluewater Village from TS2, because we need more space for community lots from Game Packs for example.
  • kayt45kayt45 Posts: 434 Member
    100% agree. If they’re open to refreshing expansions then get to work has my vote. Beyond the business game play aliens deserve some love too. I’d love to see a livable alien world and more fleshed out alien gameplay (similar to vampires and magic).
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    Open all career lots - agreed
    Hospital - Lets sick sims visit the hospital to get 100% cured. Allow sims to call the hospital when another sim dies for an increased chance of that sims being revived. I think the sim who goes to the hospital if they get revived should have to stay at the hospital for a few days.

Police Station - With the return of burglars our sims will be able to go and report a burglary if they didn't call the police in time, don't have a security alarm, or where unable to fight off the burglar. Sims can also be arrest if caught committing crimes in from other police or if reported by other sims. Ie. Trying to steal (klepto), starting fights, or trespassing on other sims property (having been asked to leave but not doing so). Sims who get arrested have the option of paying a fine or spend a few hours-days in jail.

Science Lab - Sims can visit the lab to go on tours and any sims who have been abducted can go to the lab and report their abduction. Doing so will yield them some money in exchange for being examined. Sims who are impregnated by an abduction can yield more money. Can also ask the scientist help prevent further abductions (for a time).

Home business - agreed. This should either just be a lot trait or a new kind of livable lot like tiny homes and haunted houses.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    edited August 2021
    Some lot trait and challenge ideas here.

'Frequent Illnesses' challenge - This lot challenge increases the chances of sims getting sick.

'Alien Interest' trait/challenge (up to you, people!) - This attracts more aliens to the lot and increases the chances of alien abduction and alien pregnancies. If it's on community lot, simply going there at least once will increase the chance of abduction a little (combined with the chance increase that happens when interacting with aliens and the chances can go high). Paranoid and erratic non-alien sims will get a special tense moodlet while aliens while aliens will get a special moodlet.

'Alien Repellent' trait - This deters alien visitors and aliens will never abduct sims there. Aliens cannot use their special powers there and will get a tense moodlet.

Now, let's say burglars get added along with increased police gameplay. Then I'd propose these traits:

'Secure Lot' trait - This lowers the chance of burglars significally, but it also features a huge chance of getting arrested when your sim is doing a crime (stealing, hacking, spamming etc).

'Hidden Treasure' challenge - According to rumors, the lot your sim lives on has a hidden treasure, attracting more burglars to visit no matter how valuable the lot is. In addition, it attracts guests with kleptomaniac trait or criminal career who can steal from the lot. However, if your sim is lucky, they could find it themselves...
    Post edited by EgonVM on
  • cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    GTW would be my pick for a refresh. Personally I'm interested in the retail side only. I am not convinced there is something that can add value to the careers (I think the wfh careers are a better option).

sims 2 OFB set the mark. I want to be more difficult to start up a business, run home businesses, appoint/train managers and be able to leave them successfully post that, like Dine out and the vets - though that has always been buggy (and that system doesn't recongise who your employees generally are, unless that's buggy for me).

also we need to be able to own things like spas, cafes. multiple lots are also essential, the game seems to be built for the single or couple sim, but managing families would be more enjoyable with multi purpose lots.
  • professorlilithprofessorlilith Posts: 392 Member
    more ways to interrogate prisoners; the option for police sims to arrest people while off duty; home visits from doctors; and the ability to live in a unit attached to my retail business.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    Something I just thought of was Traits.

It always annoyed me how there was no real traits added in GTW or many of the packs honestly. Traits a trait I'd like to see is Schmoozer, sims with this trait would be better at making sells. They would also be better at building relationships with coworkers.

I'd also like to see Hospitals get reworked so that NPC nurses and Doctors are taking care of unattended patients since it makes no sense that our active sim is the only one who is actually tending patients and more come in then can be taken care of.

Also I want the Active careers to require some skills to promote and not just solve x cases, help x patients, or have x breakthroughs.
    Doctor - Logic and Charisma
    Detectives - Logic and Fitness
    Scientists - Logic, Rocket Science, and Gardening
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    More professions, ability to run a factory, and inventing as a skill/profession.
    Prices for things/books and other stuff you can make falling/rising based on demand, making retail and self employment a challenge.
  • carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited September 2021
    @VentusMatt Yeah there should be some skill requirments and more active co-workers in the Active careers

Here's my suggestions on a Get to Work Refresh:

SIM CHALLENGES (Lot challenges but on sims)
    1. Non-resistant for illnesses (if you want illnesses in your game, ps. I want!)
    2. Sensitive Immune system (more often ill / bigger illnesses consequences)
    3. Lactose intolerance & ex. Pollen allergy / other intolerance
    4. Infertility (Difficulty to become pregnant)

HOSPITALS
    1. Visitable Hospitals & reasons to do so (Prescribe Allergy & Intolerance medicine / Stay the night & treat diseases / Health checkup / Vaccinate kids & toddlers / Put bandage on injuries ex. from soccer)
    2. Call district doctor on phone to get treatment at home (some illnesses need to be treated at the hospital)
    3. Improved illnesses with consequences (Sims challenges tab)
    4. Elders have more ailments & illness
    5. Improved Pregnancies:
    • Ultra sounds & Gender reveal (+Baby showers event)
    • Infertility & Fertility treatments
    • Surrogacy machine / Wohoo donator: Possible for sims to have a baby with a Wohoo donator (Unknown sim / Ask a sim to be Wohoo donator). Put the DNA in a Baby making machine (surrogacy machine) at the hospital.

RETAIL SYSTEM
    1. Functional Cash registers or an object for Self checkouts. Customers that just swipe objects is immersion breaking.
    2. Boxes to fill with Fruit / Candles / etc for Supermarkets / Grocery stores
    3. Grocery baskets (before payment) & Grocery bags (after payment)
    4. Retail employees as real careers (possible to play as the employee)
    5. Possible to set Opening hours for retails
    6. Hire Family members / Chosen sims (ex. ask a Friend) as employees

WORLD: MAGNOLIA PROMENADE
    1. The Police station / Hospital / Science lab visitable & visible on the map (and reasons to do so, ex. Report a crime / Get sent to jail)
    2. Some more lots (2-3)
    3. The small world would benefit to have buildable Malls / Multipurpose lots and Townhouses / Apartments (multiple Households on 1 lot) and Combined Retail + Home (1 lot)

OWN & MANAGE BUSSINESS / LOTS / RABBIT HOLES
    1. The ticket machine from sims 2 ( = pay a fee to the lot owner to use the lot = Ownable & Profitable Pools / National parks / etc)
    2. Ownable Bars & Spas (Manage: Employees / Prices / Special events: Singles Night / possible to not include ex. Ghost / Alien night in your save)
    3. Ownable & Functional Rabbit holes in all worlds (ex. The empty town squares in Mt Komorebi / HoB, or Fake buildings in San Myshuno).
    • Rabbit hole careers (ex: Baker / Cashier)
    • Become a Business partner (10-90%) and earn profit
    • Become a Business owner (100%) to manage the building (Employees / Prices / Supply).
    • The buildings have unique interactions depending on their function:
      Bakery / Clothing store / Cinema / Sport & Outdoor equipment / Grocery store / Garden store

OTHER
    1. More tasks when choosing Work From Home -option (not just 1-2 easy tasks, I want a work day at the office)
    2. Work From Home -option on more careers (ex. The Business career)

ALIENS
    1. Toggle on / off Aliens (for Realism players. Make it possible to work in the Science career without dealing with Aliens). Maybe a dedicated pack on Space & Aliens for occult players? (Depth to Aliens / Rocket ships / Livable Sixaam / Astrology)

OTHER CHALLENGES (separate Toggle on / off options in the settings)
    1. University Degree Lock on some careers = Can’t get promoted to certain Career levels without an (optional / pre choosen) University Degree (Ex. you can’t become a Nurse (or above) in the doctor Career without a Biology degree. Criminal / Culinary careers don´t need a degree, but it will increase your salary)
    2. Harder to level up Work performance & School grades (you need to put in some effort: Complete daily task / Special tasks / Schmooze your boss - to get promoted)
    3. Clothes being Functional & Cost money in CAS (ex. Raincoats protect from rain)
    Post edited by carpe_diem on
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Get To Work is probably the first pack they should have refreshed, with so many more semi-active careers now.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.