Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Industrial Loft KIT looks fine but...

This time I think that new KIT matches to the game and will fill the gap of industrial items but I have some thoughts:

1. I'm happy that we receive 3 heights of lamps, but why no windows and doors this time? I afraid that new window will not match to Moschino ones.

2. ~25 textures is not too much. I like the variety of items, but I miss a regular chair, doors and build items as pillars, floors or wall paintings. 35 textures will be enough to create a KIT whitout any major gaps.

unknown-810x453.png
unknown-1.png

3. Base Game kitchen will be more popular finally but, 3 swatches is not enough. Especially in Game Files we have 7 more (but never used) swatches.

vault-morecolours_cat.jpg?w=2000&h=
vault-morecolours_front.jpg?w=660

Source: https://pboxx.wordpress.com/2015/10/19/unlocked-vault-colour-options-no-splash-counters/

4. To be honest, we have no space for industrial houses and apartments in TS4. In real life, lofts look like that:

MG_7826.jpg

lofty_w_lodzi_114931.jpg

140109-EXT-RENDERING.jpg

1d8083544eb0134a813912e585ad2995.jpg

In TS4 we have only 2 lots which are matching to this style:

TS4_EP03_ANN_Lifts_03.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

Due to that we need more post-industrial neighbourhoods

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2021
    I was right, lol, by saying the next thing to be released would be a kit. (In a guessing thread). I'm sorry but some of this stuff looks some of the counters and things I already had in my game (very similar). And you are right, no vacant spots and CL would be a good place to build industrial warehouses, too, and a few other worlds (particular spots) but we don't have any free spaces to build upon to make it all look more of a revamped warehouse district. Maybe they do a new world to go along with this kit and charge $20 for it.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    It sort of reminds me of the girl dancer's warehouse loft in the 1980 Flashdance.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    In comparison to the 2 last builds kits, I really like it, because it has a lot of BB that I will always use in my build for my Sims.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Is there a way to activate the hidden swatches?
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    EXCUSE ME?? Those hidden swatches are so nice!! Why are they hidden 😭 I would use those counters so much more...
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2021
    lexibee wrote: »
    EXCUSE ME?? Those hidden swatches are so nice!! Why are they hidden 😭 I would use those counters so much more...

If you're not opposed to CC, Plasticbox on Mod the Sims liberated those hidden swatches on her "no backsplash" counter tops years ago.
    https://modthesims.info/d/566198/unlocked-vault-colour-options-no-splash-version.html

And, Madhox, also on MTS4, created new meshes to match that kitchen but I'm not sure if he also included those "hidden" swatches on his.
    https://modthesims.info/d/585595/vault-cabinets-expansion.html
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    I thought hidden swatches were the debug from the BB.ShowHiddenObjects & BB.ShowLiveEditObjects ?
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,845 Member
    Oh waitasec I could do an industrial neighborhood in Port Promise where I wouldn't have those apartment window restrictions...... hmm.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited August 2021
    A lot of those items look like reskins recolors of items already in the game. And this is why CASt will never come back.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • simsplayer86simsplayer86 Posts: 33 Member
    I can't believe there is only one new window with this kit.
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    Felicity wrote: »
    A lot of those items look like reskins recolors of items already in the game. And this is why CASt will never come back.

Which items are you referring to?

I just watched the video that James Turner made and the stuff he used look nothing like what’s shown in the photo I saw of the kit content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A8MtyNLkO0

Even if you think they do look alike, people would need to buy a bunch of packs to get all the content he used instead of only buying a $5.00 kit. Not everyone has already bought all those packs.

I hope EA does not listen to him about using cc creators to make kits as I think:

1. CC should remain free for those who cannot afford paid content
    2. If I wanted to use CC, I would already be doing so and supporting them
    3. Some CC creators make really bad content. Harry’s content isn’t the worst, but also isn’t the best that I’ve seen
    4. Some CC creators make non-Maxis match content which I don’t want in my game
    5. Some CC creators are already making big money and don’t need EA’s help

I think EA game changers should stick to influencing us to buy the game. I’ve noticed that many of them are now just trying to promote their own social media instead of the game so are agreeing with whatever is said by their followers without regard for truth.
    Post edited by g01denswan on
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    g01denswan wrote: »

I just watched the video that James Turner made and the stuff he used look nothing like what’s shown in the photo I saw of the kit content.

Even if you think they do look alike, people would need to buy a bunch of packs to get all the content he used instead of only buying a $5.00 kit. Not everyone has already bought all those packs.

I hope EA does not listen to him about using cc creators to make kits as I think:

3. Some CC creators make really bad content. Harry’s content isn’t the worst, but also isn’t the best that I’ve seen

I think EA game changers should stick to influencing us to buy the game. I’ve noticed that many of them are now just trying to promote their own social media instead of the game so are agreeing with whatever is said by their followers without regard for truth.

Hah, after watching his video, I will say, yes, definitely look like recolors of included items. Do they look identical? No, they look like recolors. Many pieces look like they could not survive a game with CASt.

I don't use CC, fwiw. It was more an issue with CASt not being part of Sims 4 despite it being in a previous iteration. Didn't Sims 2 also have a out-of-game program to recolor and retexture items? I don't even remember. But the step backwards definitely has profit potential for EA.

I think game changers should absolutely give their opinions, btw. They're entertainers, not marketing departments.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited August 2021
    I definitely think they could add more to these kits because they're really pricey IMO. Where I am it's not really that expensive, so I'm okay with what we get, but I think the themes are a bit hit and miss. I think this could have been a stuff pack instead. I think smaller niche themes like the moroccan kit and gameplay kits like bust the dust are good themes to go for, not this exactly because something will always be missing if the budget don't let you complete the theme. Bad choice of theme this time around.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • g01denswang01denswan Posts: 1,028 Member

Hah, after watching his video, I will say, yes, definitely look like recolors of included items. Do they look identical? No, they look like recolors. Many pieces look like they could not survive a game with CASt.

I don't use CC, fwiw. It was more an issue with CASt not being part of Sims 4 despite it being in a previous iteration. Didn't Sims 2 also have a out-of-game program to recolor and retexture items? I don't even remember. But the step backwards definitely has profit potential for EA.

I think game changers should absolutely give their opinions, btw. They're entertainers, not marketing departments.

Recolours don’t use the same meshes. So if they are not identical in shape, then they are remeshes not recolours. Remeshes take longer to make than recolours, but less time than new gameplay objects.

I miss CASt as well, but I don’t think they purposely excluded it so they can sell recolours or remeshes. TS3 had CASt and sold remeshed objects as well. We can only recolour or retexture stuff with CASt, not remesh them. TS2 had Body Shop.

Yes, game changers should give their opinion, but they should not perpetuate misinformation to gain followers, which is the issue I have with some of them.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    It is pointless, tired of cute gowns. I want gameplay.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member

Nope. Mesh edits? Possibly. But not recolors. Create a Style isn't going to change the direction on the legs of the Bar chairs, or remove curtains from the bed (not to mention change the shape of the headboard), and those are the two items in the pack that I think are the most similar to existing ones. Last I checked, no version of Sims has an option to include Style Morphs for either furniture or clothing, so any change that can't be done with a displacement, bump, or normal map (which is any change in the angle of the structure, or gaps in the mesh, or large changes to size - including removal) needs a new mesh, or at least an edit of the old one.

I mean, while I've had this problem less in The Sims and more in working with Graphic art, I've had plenty of times when I've had two similarly meshed items where one just fit the scene better than the other, even if they were objectively practically the same item.
  • MelisendreMelisendre Posts: 195 Member
    I don't need kits like this with stuff we already have in the game. This isn't the sense of kits for me.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    The issue for me is not the price but getting more of what I alreday got in my bb objects
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited August 2021
    I will say that I'd like it if future build/buy kits, rather than being basically a room's worth of furniture in a single aesthetic style, were things like a half-dozen styles of curtains in multiple wall heights, or two dozen bathroom clutter items, or a dozen and one different styles of toddler bed with matching "big kid" single beds for when they become kids, or a bunch of paintings on a theme.

As long as Build/Buy kits are basically room kits, they're always going to feel like they could have done something more/else.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I definitely think they could add more to these kits because they're really pricey IMO. Where I am it's not really that expensive, so I'm okay with what we get, but I think the themes are a bit hit and miss. I think this could have been a stuff pack instead. I think smaller niche themes like the moroccan kit and gameplay kits like bust the dust are good themes to go for, not this exactly because something will always be missing if the budget don't let you complete the theme. Bad choice of theme this time around.

I agree about that this should have been a stuff pack. I think I have come to the conclusion that my main issue with kits are the low budget and amount of content that comes with them... and in order for Maxis to add more items without them being mesh edits EA probably would want to raise the price and then it's a stuff pack instead.

So I'm not sure how I feel about kits now to be honest, yes, some items are more or less mesh edits but they are probably not gonna put in more effort into these kits without EA wanting to raise the price for them.

I am not sure if they should raise the price in order to get more interesting items in their kits, or if we should be happy with the quality with them. If this kit would have had some more unique items or "hero items" like the team liked to call them like a wood pallet bed or something I would be much more interested.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited August 2021
    logion wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »

I agree about that this should have been a stuff pack. I think I have come to the conclusion that my main issue with kits are the low budget and amount of content that comes with them... and in order for Maxis to add more items without them being mesh edits EA probably would want to raise the price and then it's a stuff pack instead.

So I'm not sure how I feel about kits now to be honest, yes, some items are more or less mesh edits but they are probably not gonna put in more effort into these kits without EA wanting to raise the price for them.

I am not sure if they should raise the price in order to get more interesting items in their kits, or if we should be happy with the quality with them. If this kit would have had some more unique items or "hero items" like the team liked to call them like a wood pallet bed or something I would be much more interested.
    Yeah, I think they should just do smaller themes instead tbh. Like bust the dust, it was a great idea, because not all simmers would want this in a bigger pack, so it's perfect for a kit. Ofcourse they have to deliver on the quality still, but the idea is solid IMO. I just don't think that all themes work for kits, as they can seem very sparse if the theme naturally should include more than a kit allows for, so yeah.
    I would personally LOVE more gameplay kits. There's so much they could add now with Lot Challenges for starters. I'm sure there are a lot of gameplay they have thought about adding that quite never 'fits' a pack - I'm okay with them adding those in a kit, and I actually think more gameplay is worth the price.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    At the same time nobody is forced to purchase this pack.

I think the kits were never designed to satisfy everybody, this is stuff for a specific group of players.

• x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    At the same time nobody is forced to purchase this pack.

I think the kits were never designed to satisfy everybody, this is stuff for a specific group of players.

I would say, yes. It's for a specific group of Simmers only. I personally love it! I like this kind of style. :D
    OLD1jYW.png
    A9Qkl7r.png
    Tdg8hFK.png
    jxmLkdA.png
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    @x4m1r4 I love what you've done with it!

I doubt if I will buy this for a while as I am currently in the thick of chickens and llamas, but I could see me wanting this in the future.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member

Regarding James' video, he said multiple times that it was just a fun thing to try and not supposed to be a jab at EA, the point was that we can technically already build an industrial loft with the stuff that is available, which is true. And if you read his comment (I believe it is pinned at the top), he adresses the fact that not everyone has all the packs.
    I agree with you that the stuff he used and the stuff in the actual kit are not identical, do they have some similarities yes, some more and some less, but not identical.

As for CC, I personally think it is a great idea to work with the community, tho I dont really like harries CC personally (I looked at her loft stuff and I find it rather boring), the idea is still good, cause they would work together meaning EA/Maxis would still have final say and quality control (and possibly help out with both) and could give them resources (so no need for the use of non-maxis content, which EA wouldnt allow anyway).
    I dont think it would take anything away from people who rely on the free CC, especially if some creators can already make a living out of it.
    Besides, I am on console and we cant get CC at all...so I really like the kits and I personally think it would just be cool if the community was involved in making them.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat