Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unhappy because house poorly decorated

In my up to date TS4 installation sims are getting unhappy because their homes aren't well decorated. Problem is, in the installation on my old machine (no seasons, and updated only through University - a lot of sims are successful farmers & I don't want that messed with) the same level of décor makes them happy. What gives?

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I noticed this yesterday as I was playing too. I built a brand new house for my sim family, and just gave them the bare minimum, with cheap but decent wallpaper and flooring. I kept getting the poorly decorated moodlet. I had to add some paintings and rugs to get it to go away.
    I'm confused about how environment scores are generated. Do they have to do with how cheap the flooring/ walls are, or does it have to do with the décor in the room?
    I'm glad the sims are affected by poor environments, but it seems to be a little buggy.
  • AgentJuliaAgentJulia Posts: 77 Member
    I'm also getting this moodlet, but curiously only when my sims enter restaurants. I redecorated the entirety of the Diving Pelican Maxis prebuilt and my sims were still getting uncomfortable from the decor. Maybe this is an anomaly but even after adding paintings, decorations, and other expensive items they kept the uncomfortable from poor environment moodlet.

One other thing I've noticed when playing my rags to riches save is that sims now get the uncomfortable from poor environment moodlet when the walls are still drywall! I think that makes sense and I've never had that occur before.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,338 Member
    The change that floors and wallpapers contribute to the decoration score was introduced with Eco Lifestyle, so the Discover University gameversion save would not have it. That would explain why the same lot registers as well decorated on one computer, but not on the other.

As for which ones exactly cause the unhappy with decoration moodlet, some wallpapers/floors have an "effect on environment positive/negative" label. That, I think, refers to the room's environment score, not the eco footprint. Eco footprint is noted down as "green" and "industrial". (My game isn't in english, so your terms may be different and I may err here.)
  • DistantDialtonesDistantDialtones Posts: 8 New Member
    I just started having this issue when I installed Cottage Living, my sims are fine being inside the house, but now anytime they are outside they hate the decoration. I'm not sure what decorations outside would be causing that, or if I just need to add more.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    My sim gets it too. But, I haven't bothered to do more than build the shell of her house and bare minimum furnishing. No flooring, paint or windows. So she has a point...
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    The change that floors and wallpapers contribute to the decoration score was introduced with Eco Lifestyle, so the Discover University gameversion save would not have it. That would explain why the same lot registers as well decorated on one computer, but not on the other.

As for which ones exactly cause the unhappy with decoration moodlet, some wallpapers/floors have an "effect on environment positive/negative" label. That, I think, refers to the room's environment score, not the eco footprint. Eco footprint is noted down as "green" and "industrial". (My game isn't in english, so your terms may be different and I may err here.)

Thank you for the info! I have vague memories of a lot of posts on this back then, but the search feature here is lame & I'd probably be guilty of the necro-crime if I commented in one. Now I have something to look for when decorating. Seems to me a bit overly sensitive. There's a difference between poor (drywall) and modest but nice. A Cotswolds country cottage is not Buckingham Palace and I'm not about to try to make the change to satisfy what seems to be EA's California Chic obsession. Taking advantage of your clues, but in a tasteful & restrained way.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I noticed this yesterday as I was playing too. I built a brand new house for my sim family, and just gave them the bare minimum, with cheap but decent wallpaper and flooring. I kept getting the poorly decorated moodlet. I had to add some paintings and rugs to get it to go away.
    I'm confused about how environment scores are generated. Do they have to do with how cheap the flooring/ walls are, or does it have to do with the décor in the room?
    I'm glad the sims are affected by poor environments, but it seems to be a little buggy.

Am inclined to agree with you. There's a difference between poor and tastefully simple, which EA seems to be ignoring.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    bixters wrote: »

Am inclined to agree with you. There's a difference between poor and tastefully simple, which EA seems to be ignoring.

I agree, though I've worked around it. Just look for any 'cheap' objects or paintings/posters in decorations that give at least 'environment +1', then plop a few here and there. Shrink them down if you don't want then dominating the area, heh! ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• TammorsTammors Posts: 357 Member
    I used to get this with sims that have "snob" or "materialistic" traits. But now I'm getting it with other sims too.