Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which city-related expansion pack do you prefer the most?

Which city-related expansion pack do you prefer the most? 106 votes

The Sims 1 Hot Date
9%
TheSpotted_CThetfordBariSaxyLatinaBunny83bienchenMortimerGothWarGreymon77Lady_BalloraLulu29Hcla25239028 10 votes
The Sims 2 NightLife
16%
canitbemanicmnfrshIsb917barracuda1574Mizzila1297annaliese39jazzunicornsChadSims2YBNS2468OldeseadoggeLiELFStrawberryYogurtThriorIVXXXVISimmingalVyollaSkyrryxsimmerorigin 18 votes
The Sims 2 Apartment Life
23%
Taw3001AnmirlaMariefoxprice83g01denswanzagboorulesKennziKaigebixtersSunflowergal227waterywatermelonWaytoomanyUIDssof2106EnkiSchmidtScobreBreazonacalipossEricasFreePlayLouciferChicklet453681Charlotta11Nushka 25 votes
The Sims 3 Late Night
19%
suetoopCynnaApparentlyAwesomeFroilTeeSeawormofthebookbenson2006mariajane216CAPTAIN_NXR7texxx78MasonGamerValeahBrandontaylorSERVERFRASeashoreLiviaAngeliqueAdelaideSimSpockDragonmasterleoImagebearbluedanube 21 votes
The Sims 4 City Living
30%
PlayerSinger2010SusanaLeoteCaitxcathaneulsimgirl1010cchant86luthienrisingtaydevduhboy2u2OnverserAngelEb95BlueOvalePamtastic72CattyBetsyEvilyn_1007LauraMSimPeralRememberJoySimAlexandrianetney52 32 votes

Comments

• waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    I just remembered something.

The neighborhood that comes with Eco Lifestyle has apartments and can be considered a "city". It does look like an urban district.
    Windenburg (Get Together) has a German urban district.

Dang it, I should have included Get Together and Eco Lifestyle.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited August 2021
    Absolutely Apartment Life. Apartments in Sims 2 were so customizable. I was able to use it to play gigantic families. Plus I love the witches, and the witch sisters included are some of my favorite premades over the years. I liked Nightlife, too. Solid additions all around, but if I had to pick Apartment Life had more for me.

The rest weren't bad, but 3's Nightlife had to have vampires buffed by Supernatural. 3's infectious fame system was also more well rounded with the addition of Showtime's careers and activities. Bridgeport was definitely unique for a world in 3 and it was fun to play, but it was an easily overshadowed EP for me.

I didn't get to play with Hot Dates that much. I begged for it as a kid, through the embarrassment, and was still rejected. I played it with the complete collection later in life and it has some really nice additions, but I like 2's better.

As for CL (and Eco's urban part, quite frankly), it has a nice take on living in apartments with the neighbor events and traits (which are largely absent from the Eco apartments). However, they feel the least customizable, meaning they are awful for any sort of a builder. You cannot even save/share the apartment lots like you could with a house, so I don't even bother with in depth customization a lot of times. You cannot make your own; changing walls is a hassle; there are irremoveable (and also unusable) lot traits; no sharing/saving. So while CL has some really nice parts to it, it is definitely lower tier for city Sims packs and even in 4's EP tier list for me. I like Eco for its gameplay instead of its urban themes, but I like it more than CL generally.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2021
    The Sims 4 City Living
    Only played 3 and 4 and they're mostly tied, but for cities as worlds I prefer 4. I think cities work better in a closed world like 4 as things can be spread up and split up more, in Sims 3 I just find city worlds overwhelming and hard to use as everything's just too crammed together.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Hands down TS2 for the customization of the apartments, it's what I was always hoping TS4's apartments would be like. TS4 is my absolutely least favorite for the apartments, while I agree with @Onverser regarding TS3 city being much more overwhelming with it's open world. If TS4 had implemented apartments with the same ease of customization that TS2 did, then my vote would have been for TS4.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    The Sims 2 NightLife
    I impulsively voted Nightlife before seeing that Apartment Life was an option.

AL is the only EP so far with customizable apartments. I've downloaded duplexes and added amenities to apartments (although sadly, the neighbor AI doesn't take advantage of some common facilities.) It also has a ton of content as a parting gift since it was the last EP: spiral stairs, butlers, witches, etc.

Nightlife is still fantastic though. I love sending my sims downtown. Restaurants and clubs were great. Not really a fan of vampires, but they're cool

Late Night was a hit or miss, because it was laggy on my 2010 computer so my sim would stand outside for hours, and the club would close by the time they go in. On a side note, why do the places there have closing times anyway? The fame system also got annoying after a while because every time a negative rumor spreads, my sim's relationships with everyone goes down a bit. God forbid your spouse is an occult, because it'll just be negative rumors about woohooing with your spouse every week
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Sims 2 Apartment Life is my favourite for the apartments, but I don’t think it was an exclusively city based pack was it?
  • waterywatermelonwaterywatermelon Posts: 473 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »
    Sims 2 Apartment Life is my favourite for the apartments, but I don’t think it was an exclusively city based pack was it?

If you look at the Apartment Life trailer, then you would notice that EA did suggest that Apartment Life EP would be about moving out of the suburbs and into the big city with apartments and stuff.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    The Sims 2 NightLife
    ddd994 wrote: »

If you look at the Apartment Life trailer, then you would notice that EA did suggest that Apartment Life EP would be about moving out of the suburbs and into the big city with apartments and stuff.

Apartments would definitely not look out of place in the Downtown area
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,120 Member
    The Sims 3 Late Night
    I've never played Sims 1 & 2. I've always loved Bridgeport the best. It was big, dark, fun & cool. City Living is so lacking in that.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    The Sims 4 City Living
    San Myshuno is so essential to my Sims 4 experience that it had to get my vote. I love the way they executed the different urban looks in the various neighborhoods.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    For me, The sims 2 Nightlife and Apartment Life. Apartment Life makes the game customizable, plus there are premade apartments if you are not a builder. Nightlife adds glitzy gowns, and more formal attire to the sims. Plus it is fun to go downtown. Haven't played Sims 1 Hot Date or Sims 3 Late Night. a second bet would be City Living tho because i like the karaoke additions, and the ability to live in apartments. You can also add households easier to an apartment.
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited August 2021
    The Sims 2 NightLife
    Sadly never got to play Apartment Life and I hate City Living so easily Nightlife for me.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    The Sims 3 Late Night
    Bridgeport was the best and beautiful world.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited January 2022
    The Sims 2 NightLife
    TS3 captures big city feeling the best, advantages of open world. I absolutely loved playing Homeless challenge in Bridgeport over and over. However, I still must say TS2 Nightlife. I used its' features all the time. I especially loved the dating system, the vampires, the restaurants and all those interactions you could do (like proposing during a meal). I was so disappointed when TS3 equilavent did not have a restaurant system. I also disliked how in TS3 you can't have sims visiting the city because it's restricted with the world system. Celebrity system was also pretty meh, too easy and more of an annoyance than engaging.

Never had any Eps for TS1 though Hot Date was the one I was really interested in but ehh, didn't happen. Apartment Life, never had that one for I'm very picky and wasn't that interested. And City Living... pfft, couldn't care less after finding out about its' features and scope. Basically the only thing I'd like to have from it are those lot traits/challenges.
    EDIT 1/2022: I eventually did end up getting City Living during a sale after a post in another thread made me realize all the storytelling/rp possibilities. I actually do like the EP, yet my opinion on the best one doesn't change. TS4 iteration is beautiful, I like the apartments and especially those lot challenges. There's nice atmosphere and it's fun to be able to sell stuff as street vendor (really made my Homeless challenge more interesting). In some ways I might even enjoy it more than TS3 (more vibrant, more character) but it also falls flat in others, like the city itself is still mostly just set dressing in proper TS4 fashion and I don't see myself using its' features (like festivals) as meticulously as I did TS2 restaurants/bars which had a plethora of activities I enjoyed. TS4's overall scope is also way smaller than in previous tittles.
    Post edited by Thrior on
  • AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    edited August 2021
    The Sims 3 Late Night
    I love Bridgeport
  • Lulu29Lulu29 Posts: 171 Member
    The Sims 1 Hot Date
    TS1 Hot Date will always be my favourite mainly for the nostalgia aspect.
  • TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    The Sims 1 Hot Date
    Hot Date was like 4 or 5 packs combined, there was so much in there.
  • bookwormsimmer25bookwormsimmer25 Posts: 24 Member
    The Sims 4 City Living
    City Living is by far the best, in my opinion. I can't quite remember TS3 one, but the game used to be so slow and it was unplayable. In TS2 apartments didn't quite feel like apartments. City Living offers an experience of really being a part of the city.
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Impossible for me to choose between Sims 2 Nightlife and Sims 2 Apartments. i love them both! My Sims always enjoyed going Downtown and experiencing all it had to offer and I loved the apartments the way they were done in Sims 2.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    The Sims 4 City Living
    I’ve never liked city expansion packs previously and sorry op I don’t see hot date as a city pack more a romance pack. Although I did like that pack. City living is one of my all time favourite packs for the sims franchise I got it on a sale and have had so much gameplay out of it.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited September 2021
    I love apartment living in all the versions of the sims. When I play sims 4 I almost always start my sim in an apartment in San Myshuno. Have them moving on up and moving out of the city to one of the other worlds. With Sims 3 I play in an apartment and learn to downsize everything. Moving on up from a tiny apartment that barely has enough room for a loft bed and desk underneath to a house in the city. There is plenty of fun for my sims with the nightlife. Sims 2 was just plain fun and as someone put it Sims one had a lot of stuff in Hot Date.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I couldn't make up my mind. It is a hard choice between Hot Date's city vibe and Bridgewater's city vibe. Because both have FX sounds and animations that immerse the player into a world that feels like a busy city. But then there is Superstar EP for TS1 that also did the same thing, with beeping horns, cars having to stop because a Sim was standing in the road, or an animal, tour buses etc. Lots of Sims everywhere in TS1's Hot Date 'city' and in Superstar, but Bridgeport for TS3 also had a lot of the aura of a big city. The only place I thought TS4 had some minor immersion of a city was in the Spice district so I couldn't consider the whole EP for that reason because any other 'district' was vacant of FX noises like the hustle and bustle of a city filled with millions.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    The Sims 3 Late Night
    But Hot Date will always be in my heart. The nights my sim spent dancing in the cage... :lol:
  • RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,138 Member
    The Sims 4 City Living
    The only ones I've played are Night Life and City Living. City Living wins hands down for me.

I found Bridgeport to be a bland and lifeless place and disliked the fame system it came with.
    City Living on the other hand always feels alive to me (especially the spice district) and there is always something going on with plenty of people to meet. I'm also fine with how apartments are done, and like the challenge of working with the space given.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2021
    I picked Apartment Life from Sims 2. That pack had customizable apartments, the best gameplay as far as apartment living goes, and the attention given to the series as a whole makes this the winner. I didn't really play the witches/wizards aspect of the pack although I am a huge Harry Potter fan lol

I did also enjoy Sims 2 Nightlife. But it wasn't for the living features. It added attraction, chemistry, jealousy, fury, turn ons/turn offs to the game and really fleshed out relationships.