Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Jacoban v. Peteran, revisited

SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
I like to establish both faiths in my kingdoms, always Peteran first when it is most needed, Jacoban following when the realm attains a degree of sophistication and wealth. And I have fallen into a habit of using Heroes over for a given profession, so that I have a stable of characters, each with their own religious tendencies.

By definition, the priest at the Monastery and the Cathedral each head their faith in my kingdom. But in general, my Heroes fall out as follows:

Peterans:
Monarch
Blacksmith
Knight
Bard
Physician

Jacobans:
Spy
Wizard
Merchant

Faiths compete for NPCs, although I generally have the Squire attach to the Jacoban church, who tend to focus on the wealthier residents. The Peteran faith focuses on the needy, only holding the Monarch and Knight by default of the Monastery having been in gift of the King, and the Knight responsible for opposing Yacothian expansion at the realm's expense.

Do you use both faiths? And, if so, what do you do with them?

Comments

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    In my first save I built the Peteran church first and all my heroes (except the Jacoban priest, of course) were of that faith. That was my "good" playthrough. Once I finished that ambition, I started a different save with an evil empress who wanted to conquer all territories, and I prioritized the Jacoban faith there

As someone who grew up with the brimstone and fire flavor of things...not a huge fan
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    My personal sympathies are deeply Peteran and, as I am told every time I load the game, I am the Watcher. But I don't punish my sims for getting it wrong. My Jacoban Priest is pretty awful - he's a snob, for one - but I like the cathedral & really doll it up, and it makes sense for the heroes who follow it, as I have come to know them. My physician, Bethicca, and enchantress, Maegan, are feuding sisters, for instance. My spy is drawn to the political possibilities of the Jacoban faith and also has the ear of his king, assuring that Jacobans are tolerated. My merchant is motivated by the fact that Jacobans dress better, which she is more than happy to help with - it's good business. ;)
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    It does sound like the variety of faiths in your game adds spice. Although to be honest, the differences are mostly superficial. Churchgoers can pray to the Watcher at either church, and it doesn't seem like people bicker much about differences in religion
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    There are some real differences. Peteran prayer grants a fairly long-lasting Focus buff, but Jacoban does not. Their buff comes from requesting Absolution at the lectern in the Cathedral. Tonight, I wrapped up the playwright quest on my Bard, and have begun the annexation of Yacothia, so my Jacoban prelate is getting some attention. While I am doing that (Spy assisting) I plan to catch up with my intended converts as well.