Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Come What May: a short(?) Sims story

Sul sul, everyone.

The story I'm about to share with you has been inspired by a series of events that took place in a save my daughter and I thought was simply a "random" game.

It all began a few days ago, when I was browsing the Gallery. I was captivated by the work of some very gifted builders who had created houses based on designs from Sears & Roebuck's Modern Homes line. I love history, and I was eager to bring these pieces of Americana to life. So Z and I picked out a half dozen or so of our favorites, placed them in Newcrest, and began creating households to occupy them.

One of our characters was a young adult man who lived alone in a lovely three-bedroom house. I didn't envision him as a "leading man" in any way; we originally created him for another "random" game in which we explored different things to do in the various worlds in our Sims universe. He might go skiing at Mt. Komorebi on Monday, sing karaoke in San Myshuno on Tuesday, and spend Wednesday morning learning to cross stitch in front of his fireplace.

He's not dark or tormented, or terribly complicated in any way. He is the kind of fellow you'd expect to see as the main character in a Frank Capra movie. His name is Cameron Ross.

J4f8WH6.jpg

The other evening, I was playing with Cameron as my active Sim, and I realized that the Bjergsen family had really taken a liking to him. No matter where Cameron traveled, a friendly Bjergsen seemed to appear. As the story of Cam's association with the Bjergsens took shape, I decided to write it down.

There won't be many screenshots at first. I wasn't taking them, because I had no idea I'd be telling a story with them. (I'm more of a words guy, anyway.) And, occasionally I'll interject a few author's notes, explaining how the game's events shaped the story. I'll put these behind spoiler tags, so if you don't want to read them, you can simply stick to the story.

I hope we'll all have fun with this. I have no idea how long it will last, or where it will go.

And, so, the story begins...
Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
Yevsas mairzeemo!

Comments

• Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    edited August 2021
    Chapter 1

Cameron Ross cast his line, and it landed in the water of Willow Creek with a soft plop. It was a cold winter morning--almost too cold for fishing--but Cameron had tired of indoor activities and, as beautiful as his house was, he needed to get outside its walls. An invigorating jog around his Newcrest neighborhood had lifted his spirits, and now, daydreaming about fried fish for dinner, he took a deep breath and watched his float bob on the surface of the water.

A novice like Cam was no match for the elusive fish he was attempting to catch. He had just pulled in his line when he heard a voice not far away. An affable-looking man, blond and rugged-looking, greeted him with a friendly wave.

"I'm Bjorn Bjergsen." Bjorn's voice sounded a bit rugged, too. It fit him well.

"Cameron Ross. It's good to meet you, Bjorn."

The two men chatted for a while. Bjorn liked to paint; that reminded Cameron that he had a half-finished canvas on his easel back home. Cam told Bjorn that he had recently moved into a house in Newcrest. Then Bjorn bid him goodbye with another wave, and went on his way.

Two afternoons later, Cam was once again in the mood to explore something different. Newcrest was a neighborhood of older homes, but one lot contained a modern, well-appointed spa. That's where Cameron made his way that afternoon. He was going to give yoga a try.

As Cameron made his way upstairs to the corner of the spa where yoga instruction took place, he met Bjorn, on his way back down.

"I'd like you to meet my wife." Bjorn smiled and motioned to a slender blonde woman, who seemed elegant even in a fluffy white robe and slippers.

Clara Bjergsen smiled at Cameron, who felt himself blush. Both Bjorn and Clara noticed this, and Clara giggled. That made Cam's cheeks redden further, just as Clara thought it might.

"What do you do for a living?" Clara asked him.

This question always made Cameron hesitate. Truth was, he had no real career. He had a passion, however; he loved to write. Cam dreamed of one day becoming a best-selling author, able to write when and where he pleased, while he enjoyed the many other activities he was starting to enjoy.

"I...I'm a writer."

The Bjergsens smiled. "That's wonderful!" Clara replied. "Perhaps we've heard of some of your works?"

Another long pause, and this time Cameron bowed his head slightly. "I'm not published yet. I'm still working on my first book now," he admitted.

The wheels inside Bjorn's mind were turning. He told me he lives in Newcrest, he thought. Those houses aren't cheap. How does he afford to live there, without any source of income...?

Bjorn's suspicion came to him naturally. Noticing details, asking questions--qualities like these made Bjorn extremely good at what he did. He liked Cameron, though, so he did his best to step out of "work mode." The young man didn't seem shifty; in fact, Cameron came across as being as far from shifty as a man could be. Bjorn's instincts rarely failed him. He decided to trust them again this time.

"I'm sure that won't take you long." Clara sensed Cam's unease. Her warm smile and gentle encouragement made him smile. "Thank you," he replied, the tension easing once again.

"I'm afraid we have to get going," Bjorn said. "Our daughters will be wondering where dinner is."

"I was about to ask if you had children," Cameron added.

"We have two." Cameron could sense Bjorn's pride as he told him about his daughters. Sofia, a teenager, was an aspiring musician. The younger girl, Elsa, was bright and curious.

"You have a wonderful family," Cameron shook Bjorn's hand. "It's been a pleasure meeting you, Clara."

The Bjergsens took their leave. Cam continued upstairs, barely making it in time for the beginning of his yoga class. Then, he showered, changed clothes, and headed home, just as evening fell, crisp and cold, over the quiet streets of Newcrest.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Chapter 2

The girl closed her eyes for a moment, as her slender fingers made their way over the strings of her guitar. It was chilly that evening, with a brisk wind, but the Spice Festival had still attracted a decent crowd.

She heard a clinking sound at her feet, and she opened her eyes at the sound. Cameron had tossed ten Simoleons into her guitar case. She acknowledged Cam's tip with a brief, brilliant smile, one Cam swore he'd seen somewhere before.

"She's really good." The voice of Cameron's friend, Duncan, broke his reverie. Duncan, a Newcrest neighbor, had invited Cameron out to try some curry at the Spice Festival. The food was good--Cameron hoped he'd acquire enough tolerance for spicy foods to truly appreciate it--and the entertainment was a delightful bonus.

The musician finished her song. She set her guitar down, and ran her fingers through her blonde hair. Spotting Cameron and Duncan, she smiled again.

"You're very talented." Cameron, who was naturally outgoing, found the composure to compliment the girl's performance.

Again, he swore he'd seen that smile before. "Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed the music."

"I'm Cameron Ross, and this is Duncan Edwards."

"Hi. I'm Sofia Bjergsen."

THAT's where I've seen that smile, Cameron concluded. It's mostly her mom's, with a little bit of her dad's. She has his eyes, too.

"Hi, Sofia. I've met your mom and dad."

Sofia playfully rolled her eyes. "I'm really sorry," she replied quickly, with a playful grin. "I better not talk too loudly, though. Dad's over there." She motioned in the direction of a food stall, where Bjorn was chatting with two other men while he finished off a plate of pork adobo.

Duncan and Cameron grinned, and Cameron tilted his head Bjorn's way. Bjorn responded with a nod of his own.

"It's really nice meeting you," Sofia smiled softly. "It's time for my next set. Maybe we can talk again sometime."

"I'd like that."

Cam and Duncan listened to Sofia play a bit longer, before the lure of the Thai food stall was too strong to resist. They ordered their dishes and sat down at a picnic table to enjoy them.

"Sofia is cute," Duncan observed between bites of Pho.

Cameron nodded. "She's a really good guitarist, too."

"She couldn't stop smiling at you."

"Maybe she likes smiling. Besides, I tipped her. She was just being nice."

Duncan shook his head. "Say what you want. I saw what I saw."

"Since when did you become an expert on romance, Dunc?"

Duncan smiled and pointed to the ring on the third finger of his left hand. "Here are my credentials," he teased. In matters of love, Duncan had indeed been good, lucky, or both. His wife, Molly, was quiet and charming. Their toddler daughter, Rosalie, was absolutely adorable.

Cameron laughed. "It doesn't matter anyway. She's just a teenager."

Romance wasn't high on Cameron's list of priorities, anyway. He had met several attractive women since he'd arrived in town. He had briefly flirted with Kathleen, the bubbly yoga instructor at the Perfect Balance spa...while Kathleen had been flirting with everyone in their class. Long story short: Cameron wanted to establish himself as a writer before he entertained thoughts of love.

"One day, you'll meet The One, mate. Until then, consider me your wingman."

"I'm in good hands," Cameron replied.
    Duncan, Molly, and Rosalie Edwards are my own creations. Duncan and Molly are based on real people: a famous English footballer who died as the result of injuries he suffered in a tragic plane crash in 1958, and his then-fiancee.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Chapter 3

Finally, and for once, the Bjergsen home was quiet.

The stereo, which had provided a constant pop music soundtrack for the evening's activities, was silent. Little Elsa, who had bounced around all evening long--inside, outside, upstairs and down, chatting amiably and asking questions--was sound asleep. So was Sofia, who had managed to participate in the lively conversation while occasionally getting up to warm herself at the hearth or dance joyfully when she heard a song she particularly liked.

And Cameron Ross, whom Bjorn had invited to hang out for the evening, was probably back home in Newcrest.

Over the past few days, Cameron had grown closer to each member of the Bjergsen family. One morning, he'd taken his laptop to South Square Coffee, in the Olde Platz section of Windenburg, hoping to get some work done on the children's book he was writing. He had seen Clara first, and they had chatted for a while before Bjorn joined them. Cameron had noticed Clara tapping at her phone at one point in their conversation; was it a coincidence that Bjorn appeared not long afterwards?

Another afternoon, he was sitting at his computer at home, tapping away at his keyboard, again trying to make progress on his book. He spotted Sofia standing on the sidewalk in front of the house and decided it was time for a break. It was a beautiful day, not too cold or windy, and the two young people spent a good portion of the afternoon getting to know each other. Cam discovered that Sofia liked to listen to spooky music, despite her usually cheerful nature. Sofia learned that Cam had learned to enjoy wellness and fishing, and wasn't particularly fond of the color grey.

"Should I change?" Sofia giggled and pointed to the short grey skirt she was wearing.

Cameron stammered for just a moment. "Uhh, it's fine. I mean, your skirt is pretty. I'm fine with your grey skirt. I'm...yeah."

He hadn't met Elsa until that evening, when he accepted Bjorn's invitation to the Bjergsen home. It was clear Elsa adored Cameron and, truthfully, the feelings were mutual. It began when Cameron spotted a copy of Crisis Barn, a popular mystery novel, on a dining table.

"Are you or your husband reading this?" he asked Clara, motioning toward the book.

She laughed. "I've already finished it. Believe it or not, Elsa is reading it now. She always leaves the books she's reading lying around."

On cue, Elsa emerged, and she was clearly delighted to discover Cameron was a fan of the Ira Strauss mysteries himself. And her eyes grew wide with admiration when she learned her family's guest was writing a children's book of his own!

"I read all kinds of books now, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to read it when it's finished!"

"I promise you'll be the very first person who sees it," Cameron promised. "In fact, I'd like you to tell me what you think of it, so maybe I can make it better before I send it off to be published."

At that moment, Elsa Bjergsen became Cameron Ross's biggest fan.

Now Bjorn and Clara could sit on their sofa, watching the fire, and talk. And the topic of their conversation was Cameron Ross.

"I like him, sweetheart," Clara said, slipping her slender hand into her husband's. Bjorn wrapped his fingers around it, squeezing it gently.

"So do I. He seems genuine and real. There is a directness about him, but he's not cocky like a lot of young guys are. He seems to have his feet on the ground."

Clara nodded. "Sofia says he lives in a lovely house, too."

Bjorn's eyes widened. "How does Sofia know what kind of house he lives in?"

Clara rolled her eyes playfully and smiled. "Relax, Dad. She has only seen the outside. She was coming back from Leila Swanson's house and Cameron saw her on the sidewalk. He came out to talk to her."
    c3QcxkQ.jpg

The Swansons--Rob, Tessa, and teens Leila and Aron--lived around the corner from Cameron. As Bjorn remembered this, his mind returned to the only thing that had ever made him wonder about Cameron.

Rob Swanson was an astronaut. A family could easily afford to live in one of those nice older houses in Newcrest on Rob's salary.

But where did Cameron's money come from? Bjorn would have to find out somehow.

For now, he thought, I need to try to figure out what Clara is up to. Is she trying to play matchmaker for Sofia? Or...?

Bjorn didn't want to believe Clara's interest in Cameron was more personal than that. She did ask me to invite him over...but she wouldn't do that if she were interested in him...would she?

He hated to use his secret agent interrogation tactics on his beloved, but he needed to figure out what Clara's intentions might be. He sighed and turned to face Clara more closely, so he could read her expression--especially her eyes.

"Sofia is too young to date him anyway," Bjorn said, as offhandedly as he could. He watched to see how Clara responded.

Without a moment's hesitation, Clara nodded her agreement. "Perhaps right now, but she won't be for long, and you know it. And wouldn't you much rather have her spending time with someone like Cameron, instead of some of the other young men we know?"

Bjorn relaxed. Clara was a terrible actress and a worse liar. Had she been interested in Cameron herself, Bjorn's comment would have triggered one of her "tells." Clara blinked rapidly when she was being less than earnest, and her voice caught just a tiny bit. This time, she was her usual open, engaging self.

"You have a point there. But I still think we should be careful about trying to make things happen. You know that won't work."

"Or will it?" Clara smiled teasingly.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Simmers' Notes: Creating Cameron

Z and I have had a lot of fun bringing Cameron Ross to life. If you'd like to read more about this process, click the spoiler link. If you'd rather not know how the sausage is made, you won't miss anything if you skip this post and wait for the next one.
    What a Sim Can Do
    After I'd been playing The Sims 4 for a while, I realized something interesting. Newly created Sims, regardless of their ages, come into the Simiverse with absolutely no skills. I suppose that isn't technically true; a Sim can turn on the stove and carry on a conversation, and thus begin building Cooking and Charisma. Still, these Sims, who in my mind are usually in their late teens or early 20s, have no special ability to do anything.

On the other hand, premade Teens have all acquired some kind of skill. Luna Villareal is very charismatic. Her brother Hugo is well on his way to becoming a master chef. Sofia Bjergsen is equally precocious as a guitarist. Wolfgang Munch, Morgan Fyres, and Malcolm Landgraab are particularly good at wreaking havoc. Even poor Cassandra Goth, who appears to be the least gifted teen in Sim City, can play a bit of violin. Our adult Sims are doofuses by comparison. The phrase "bless your heart" comes to mind.

We came up with a way to give our brand new Sims a bit of a backstory, in which they acquired some talents as teens. I developed a chart that uses several rolls of a d20 to determine what (if any) skills our Sims possess at their creation.

The first roll determines whether they have no skills, one skill, or two skills. One skill is the most common outcome.

If our Sim was fortunate enough to be given a skill, we roll again to determine the field in which they're talented. This is where it got tricky. At first, I put only the base game skills on the chart. There are 20 of these, so it worked out perfectly. Then we discovered that it would be more fun to add some of the more specific, esoteric skills from the expansion packs we own. I think that gave us 36 different choices. To keep it fairly simple, I paired the base game skills with skills from the packs. We roll, and then flip a coin to see which of the two skills the Sim gets.

Then, we roll one more time to see how developed their skill might be. 2 and 3 are the most common outcomes, but the Sims' benevolent creators might bestow as many as 8 points on an especially fortunate Sim. We picked 8 as our limit because we haven't seen a teenage Sim with more than 8 points in any skill.

If the skill has only 5 levels, we divide the outcome in half and round down.

Z is our official die roller. She delights in shaping the fates of our Sims. Our favorite story is the tale of Matty Disco.

He began his Sim life as Matthew O'Rourke, a generic young adult we created to do nothing more exciting than fill out a neighborhood and occasionally turn up around town. When Z rolled to give Mr. O'Rourke his skills, she hit the combination that gave him the ability to Dance. Dancing appears to be one of the few skills Sims can't use to improve their lives in any measurable ways, except by stacking up moodlets that make them better at other, more productive things. Matthew was little better off than a Squib, the term we use for the unfortunates whose first roll results in no skills at all.

Fate then smiled a bit more warmly on Matthew O'Rourke. Z hit one of the two numbers that gave him 4 points for Dancing. He's a one trick pony, but it's one heck of a trick. We renamed him, gave him a makeover, and the character of Matty Disco was born.

My wife heard Z squealing and both of us laughing about Matty Disco, so she came to the sofa to see what her husband and daughter were up to. She'd paid passing attention to The Sims before, but there was something about Matty--and the joy we experienced creating him--that drew her in. Now she joins us for our Sims sessions, too. A new Simmer has been born!

(Matty Disco has been added to our world as an NPC. I'm not sure if Cameron will encounter him; we're hoping that he will, because he'd be fun to work into the story. I'm thinking Matty will feature in a story of his very own one day, too. ;) )

Anyway, back to Cameron Ross. Cam got fairly lucky. He was given two skills: Fitness and Homestyle Cooking. While neither is useful as an occupation or a side hustle--a Painter/Writer combo can live large without ever "going to work"--he could have turned out worse. And, with 3 for Fitness and 4 for Cooking, he's decently skilled at both. His Cooking skill helps him avoid setting fire to his kitchen, and it's already enabled him to meet a friend (whom you'll meet in the next chapter of the story). The Fitness skill helps shape Cam's story, too. We send him jogging most days, and if he meets someone along the way, he might double back and talk to them.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Chapter 4

Winter in Newcrest was cold and snowy, but Cameron enjoyed the snow. His writing career would have been better served if his attention span were longer, but after much more than an hour at his keyboard, the urge to get outside and do something--anything--usually got the better of him. The lovely snow angel that graced his front yard was proof of this.

Fishing was another activity that tended to distract Cameron. The desire to put a line in the water was what led him to the village of Henford-on-Bagley one fine afternoon. The river Bagley wasn't frozen, and although it was cold, Cam spent an enjoyable two hours on its banks with a fishing pole in his hand. His total haul amounted to a tangled mess of rushes and a single minnow, but he had fun. That's what he was hoping for, anyway.

When Cam felt the first nagging pangs of hunger, he walked over to an inviting pub called the Gnome's Arms. He seated himself at the bar and greeted the proprietor, a cheerful young woman called Sara Scott. She dished up a steaming serving of Beef Wellington for him, and he ordered a pint of Barley Bale to wash it down. A number of interesting people stopped by the pub, and the outgoing Mr. Ross had a good time getting to know some of them.

Cam couldn't stop looking at one young woman...but not for the usual reason why a young man's head is often turned. This young woman, an attractive, curvy blonde, was emitting a soft, pulsating glow!

Sara Scott noticed the way Cameron was checking out the glowing blonde. She motioned for him to lean across the bar so she could whisper in his ear.

"You need to be careful with that one, Cameron," she warned him. "We get aliens in here from time to time. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking she might be one of them."

Cameron gulped and sat up straight. "An alien!!" he gasped. Out loud.

The pub fell silent. Everyone looked at the new lad, who was trying to make himself as small and inconspicuous as possible. The blonde's eyes opened wide. Cameron felt himself blush to his toes. You had to do something stupid, didn't you? he said to himself as he lifted his pint to his lips. It was empty.

A good bartender possesses a sixth sense that enables her to fix even the most awkward of situations. Too much drama isn't good for business. Sara Scott was one of these mixologists. She scowled in mock disgust. "An alien? That's who the killer was?? You HAD to spoil the ending, didn't you???"

A few of the other patrons laughed. Cameron felt the tension level in the pub return to normal. Even the glowing blonde seemed satisfied with this explanation for Cameron's outburst, and began to chat with a woman seated beside her.

Cam caught Sara's eye. He mouthed a silent "Thank you" and smiled. She lifted a glass in response.

After a suitable interval, Cam left the pub and wandered back down the village's main street. Before long, he found himself standing in front of a grocer's stall. Cameron was fairly handy in the kitchen, and he enjoyed using fresh ingredients. After he ordered a few staples from the grocer, he struck up a conversation with her.

Her name was Kim Goldbloom. Cameron liked her immediately. Kim loved to talk about life in her village, and Cameron found himself smiling at her stories. When Kim mentioned that she was feeling burdened by the number of errands she had to run, Cameron sympathized.

"Is there any way I can help" he asked.

"Actually, there is something I'd really like. I hate to ask, though." Kim smiled, and a cute dimple formed in one cheek.

"Ask away," Cam replied.

Kim had been too busy to cook, and she was craving a serving of Aubergine Parmigiana. "You mentioned you liked to cook," the grocer pointed out. "Think you could make that dish?"

"Sure, I'll be happy to."

Kim beamed. "And, if it wouldn't be too much to ask...would you please add a Pumpkin Scone? Just one?"

"You got it."

The next day, Cameron returned to Kim's stall with a fresh serving of Aubergine Parmigiana and a single Pumpkin Scone. In return, Kim gave him several items. But, better than that, Cameron gained a friend.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Chapter 5

Cameron didn't really have "weekends" as most people experienced them. Every day seemed to begin in much the same way.
    5M5dgBN.png
    Breakfast came first. Cameron often made something fresh for breakfast, but on this snowy Saturday morning, he decided to have a serving of leftover Pasta Primavera. He sat at his counter and enjoyed it, while he listened to the crackling sounds of the cozy fire he built.

Sometimes he enjoyed a run after breakfast, but today, he was in the mood to write. This was a good thing, because he couldn't shake the feeling that he should have been making better progress on his book. He wrote steadily for three hours, pausing only long enough to take a shower, and before the clock struck noon, his book was finished. Cameron smiled and leaned back in his desk chair. He had thought about publishing it himself, but he'd discovered his royalty payments might be higher if he sold the rights to a publisher. He had no immediate need for Simoleons, so while he wasn't yet a skilled enough wordsmith to attract a publisher's interest, he could afford to wait until he could. Besides, he had promised Elsa she could read it first! He wasn't sure when he would see her next, but he had a feeling it would be fairly soon.

It turned out to be very soon.

Cam had thought very little about what he would do that evening. It was the night of the Romance Festival, so he thought he would probably end up making his way into San Myshuno at some point--mainly because he had nothing better to do.

He had been to the Romance Festival once already, and he was frankly unimpressed. The food was decent, but he simply couldn't connect with the vibe. Most of the festival goers were married couples--Geoffrey and Nancy Landgraab, Dominick and Moira Fyres, Rob and Tessa Swanson--who sipped Sakura Tea and flirted with each other. Cam had chatted with the Romance Guru, an older gentleman who informed him that his prospects for love weren't looking too good, and who got flirty with him while he was at it. Cameron had left long before the festival ended.

A few minutes before five P.M., Cameron's plans for the evening changed. His phone buzzed with a message from Sofia, inviting him over to hang out.

When Cameron arrived, all the Bjergsens seemed to be home, except for Clara. Bjorn greeted him warmly, but then he excused himself and headed upstairs to mess around on a computer. Elsa was sitting at the table, doing some homework. Cam decided to let her concentrate on that task before he surprised her with his book.

Besides, that meant he could sit on the couch with Sofia and chat for a bit.
    PMTsAnD.jpg
    Their conversations never seemed to grow stale, and Cameron sensed Sofia enjoyed them every bit as much as he did.

It became impossible for Elsa to resist the urge to join in the fun. She put down her homework and hopped onto the couch beside Cameron.

He smiled. "Hi, Elsa. I have something to show you!" The little girl bounced on her seat as Cameron produced the manuscript of One Blue Shoe: A Tale of Lost and Found. "Just like I promised."

Elsa squealed with delight. "OH my GOSH! This is SO WONDERFUL! May I keep it and read it tonight?"

"Of course you may."

"Thank you! THANK YOU!!"

Sofia smiled as she watched the two of them. Her relationship with her sister had not always been wonderful. Even as a toddler, Elsa had shown signs of the whiz kid she would become. Sofia, on the other hand, was an average student at best, too easily distracted by her musical pursuits and socializing. She was every bit as talented a musician as Elsa was a student, and her parents made it clear they loved her, but Sofia couldn't help feeling like she had been upstaged by her little sister.

Still, the sight of her sister and her friend bonding so naturally made her feel something warm and good and comfortably exciting.

Soon the three of them were on their feet, laughing as they danced to the pop music coming from the sound system. Bjorn, who could hear the happy noise coming from downstairs, smiled to himself.
    kFhDxJH.jpg

Clara found the impromptu dance party in full swing when she returned home from her catering job. She joined the fun, making it a party of four until Sofia excused herself to eat a helping of leftover salad.

"Feel free to grab something too, Cameron," Clara offered. He was indeed getting hungry, but he hated to eat the Bjergsens' food. Eventually the gnawing at his stomach became more than he cared to endure, so he compromised by heating up a quick meal in the microwave. Sofia had headed upstairs, so Cameron sat down at the table and visited with Clara while Elsa returned to her schoolwork.
    gXrOaBV.png

A little before 11:00, Cameron caught himself yawning, and bid the Bjergsens good night. He thanked Sofia for her invitation, hugged her warmly, and set off for home.

Later, Clara and Bjorn were relaxing in their bedroom, watching TV, when Clara turned to her husband.

"I thought we'd planned to do the Romance Festival tonight," she pointed out. At first, Bjorn was afraid she was upset, but the mischievous grin on her face told him otherwise.

"We had," he agreed. "But then Sofia asked me if it would be okay for her to invite Cameron to visit tonight. I trust her, but..."

Clara kept smiling. "I know. I was wondering if that's what had happened."

Bjorn nodded, and after a moment, Clara continued.

"I don't think the timing was an accident, either."

"What do you mean?"

"Think about it, Bjorn. Where would YOU expect a nice, single guy like Cameron to be tonight?"

The tumblers inside Bjorn's brain clicked into place. "The Romance Festival. Unless he received an invitation to do something else..."

"Precisely! And I have a feeling our daughter decided she would prefer Cameron NOT be drinking Sakura Tea tonight."

"For a moment, I thought you were the mastermind behind this little plan, darling."

Clara shook her head. "Not me. I wondered if you were at least a part of it myself!"

"Nope. This was all Sofia's doing."

Both Bjergsens smiled. Their older daughter was just as clever as their younger one, when she put her mind to something.
    Post edited by MoonlightGraham on
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    The only single people your Sims are ever going to meet at the Romance Festival are those serving food at the stalls.
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Hey @MoonlightGraham! This is a fun, relaxing, write-up of you and your daughter’s gameplay! That’s so sweet! I barely see slice-of-life SimLit around here; so I’m glad to have chanced upon this one. :smile:

I love Cameron and Sofia’s dynamic! It’s always beautiful to see friendships grow and deepen. It’d be even more wonderful if it could develop into something more! (I see the sparks fly around these two). I’m looking forward to read more. :blush:
  • Options
    The only single people your Sims are ever going to meet at the Romance Festival are those serving food at the stalls.

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg I am definitely starting to see the truth of your statement. I'd think the Romance Festival would be an ideal place for unattached Sims to hang out...but that has definitely not been the case so far.
    orenjiAi wrote: »
    Hey @MoonlightGraham! This is a fun, relaxing, write-up of you and your daughter’s gameplay! That’s so sweet! I barely see slice-of-life SimLit around here; so I’m glad to have chanced upon this one. :smile:

I love Cameron and Sofia’s dynamic! It’s always beautiful to see friendships grow and deepen. It’d be even more wonderful if it could develop into something more! (I see the sparks fly around these two). I’m looking forward to read more. :blush:

@orenjiAi Thanks, orenjiAi! Z and I have a lot of fun with The Sims. Now my wife is starting to take more of an interest, too, so it's become a household pastime now.

I had no idea there was a name for the kind of SimLit I was writing. I'm flattered to have my keyboard scribbles included in an actual genre! :)

I hadn't planned on using this save as the basis for a story. We created it as a way to have fun with some of the houses we found on the Gallery. We figured that if the show had a star, it would be a Sears house, not a Sim. The game had a plan of its own, however, and the connection between Cameron and Sofia became more and more intriguing as we played. That's why there were so few screenshots in the first posts. I hadn't seen a reason to take them until we'd been at it for a while.

As far as "something more," I can honestly say I'm not sure what will happen there. After all, Sofia is still a Teen, too young to share a romance with a Young Adult like Cameron. We have developed a way to change this situation, which I'll explain behind a spoiler tag...
    We're playing this game with aging off, so none of the Sims will age up on their own. However, at the beginning of each game day, we roll our d20. If we roll a 20, Sofia will "celebrate a birthday," and we'll age her up to a Young Adult. Then, if sparks keep flying...who knows what might happen?

Thanks again to both of you for your comments. It's fun to see that someone has stopped by! :)
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited August 2021
    It's not often I find a fully slice-of-life story all that interesting, but this is really fun so far. I like that it's a collab of yours and your daughter's ideas and I like how you can see people's personalities shine through in the dialogue.
    they/them or she/her
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    I hadn't planned on using this save as the basis for a story. We created it as a way to have fun with some of the houses we found on the Gallery. We figured that if the show had a star, it would be a Sears house, not a Sim. The game had a plan of its own, however, and the connection between Cameron and Sofia became more and more intriguing as we played. That's why there were so few screenshots in the first posts. I hadn't seen a reason to take them until we'd been at it for a while.

I can totally relate to your story’s origins. In fact, my latest (and now favorite) save only came to be because I liked a build so much I decided I’d create a sim to live in it too lol!

And I can see now why it’s aptly entitled “Come What May”. :smile: It blows me away how all of this is spontaneously simulated by your game (and also how your creative storytelling stitched them all together). I’m kinda jealous, actually. My game never churns up anything worth sharing. It’s just hours and hours of them watching TV, playing on the computer, and talking to the plants. The neighbors don’t even come to visit! But yours is different. It’s fun! I can’t wait to see what the future has in store for Cameron and the Bjergsens!
  • Options
    Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    What I'm enjoying about your story so far is the whole realistic and down to earth characters. I have read a lot of Simlit with magic, aliens and the paranormal and I like a lot of them: There are some really creative writers who use that to good effect, but it's nice to see something that doesn't involve that.
  • Options
    @SnowBnuuy I'm very glad you're enjoying it so far! The fun we've had with The Sims has quietly been one of the highlights of an unpredictable summer. We're looking at a screen, but it has been much more than a passive activity in a number of ways. Z has a delightful imagination, so it's fun for both of us to work the things that happen in our game into the story.

@orenjiAi I think I got really lucky with the story the game is spinning out for us. After a couple days of the boring routine you've described, an invitation pops up on Cameron's phone and off we go.

To be fair, I usually keep Cameron busy. I rarely ever have him turn on the TV unless he's hanging out at home with a friend, and when he's on the computer, he's almost always writing his book. When I shift control away from him so I can move one of my other created households into a new home we've found for them, or to play Sim Deity and bestow a new skill to a fortunate creation, Cam parks himself on the couch and turns on the TV or starts browsing the web. He does nothing worth telling a story about. He's much more fun when he's not left to his own devices. :)

I hope our game keeps giving us fun things to work with...if it decides to stop, then the story might end up grinding to a halt. That's why I call it a "short?" story. Right now, I have one Sim-day's worth of events to write about. I have no idea what will happen tomorrow.

@Kellogg_J_Kellogg I've only been reading SimLit since June, but I've also discovered some really good stories with paranormal/supernatural/occult themes. I know I wouldn't write those kinds of stories well, so I'm not sure I'd have fun writing them.

I have Get to Work and Island Living, so there are aliens and mermaids in my game world. Cam has almost certainly encountered an alien. (Z admits she's used Manage Households to find out how many aliens we have in our game, but she's keeping that information a secret, and she won't tell me if she'll warn me if I'm about to have Cam interact with one of them.)

Cam can be a bit awkward socially, but he's yet to ask anyone if they're a mermaid. He also hasn't been to Sulani and he's only been around the water a few times (it's winter), so he hasn't discovered mermaids in their natural habitat.

Honestly, one huge reason why my story is a wholesome one is the fact that a twelve-year-old is an integral part of the project. Z understands what WooHoo is, and she "gets" what could possibly be happening when Sims use the bubble blower. I'm still being careful not to let things get too dark or racy, however. There's a lot of excellent SimLit that explores these themes, so I'm making an effort to add something else to the mix.

Thank you, all of you who are commenting and reading. It makes the process of bringing the story to life even more rewarding. <3
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Chapter 6

Winterfest is almost here!

Although there was nobody in the house with him to hear him say it, Cameron announced this as soon as he woke up on that snowy Monday morning. It was a Ross family tradition and he honored it...although it gave him a twinge of sadness to do so.

There was no time for that, however. There were decorations to put up. And there was a bit of career-related business to do.

Elsa had loved One Blue Shoe, and she got permission from her parents to send him a text and tell him so. And while Cameron believed he could have made his writing a higher priority lately, he had still acquired enough skill to sell his book to a publisher. He wasn't sure how much royalty he'd receive, but he was now a published author, and that was what mattered the most to him right now.

It was a nice enough morning, and Cam didn't want to be inside any longer. So, after he sent his manuscript on its way, he strolled jauntily up the block to the home of his next-door neighbors, the Wiles family. He found most of them--Damon, Kaylin, and their daughter Poppy--standing on the sidewalk, enjoying the gently falling snow. Their son, Noah, was probably at the park.

Poppy saw Cameron first, and bounced over to him with a huge grin on her sweet face. "Elsa told me you wrote a BOOK, and it's REALLY GOOD!" she declared, while her parents smiled. Poppy and Elsa were best friends. In fact, Cameron hadn't known it at the time, but Elsa was actually the first of the Bjergsens he had seen, while she was playing with Poppy in the Wileses' yard.
    HJLU3CR.jpg

The Wileses were a bit quirky, and Cameron liked that about them. It was just like Damon to come outside and romp in the snow, without thinking to change out of his ubiquitous cargo shorts. He talked about his desire to move to a farm in Henford-on-Bagley and keep a llama. Kaylin was a gifted artist; one of her paintings hung in Cameron's house, a housewarming gift he'd appreciated much more than fruitcake. They're so happy, Cameron thought as they chatted. The Bjergsens seem happy, too. And while these thoughts made Cameron smile, they also tugged a bit at his heart.

Don't waste your time feeling sorry for yourself. Cameron heard the familiar voice in his head. It was one of his mother's favorite pieces of advice, and he decided to heed it this morning. Yoga and meditation might be exactly what he needed to ease his tensions, so off he went to the Perfect Balance Spa.

Cameron jogged up to the sleek modern building as several members of the spa staff arrived to begin their shifts. One of them, a massage therapist, caught his eye and smiled. Very prettily.

They walked into the spa together, and their conversation continued as she reached her station. Cameron learned her name was Kali McCabe. She was perhaps a bit older than he was.

"I've seen you here before," Kali confessed with a playful smile. "I was wondering if you would ever come speak to me."

Cameron simply smiled, a bit self-consciously.

"It's not fair for Kathleen to meet all the handsome guys," she added. Kathleen was currently busy with a yoga class, so Kali had him all to herself for now.

Kali was definitely attractive: her dark eyes were warm and her spa "uniform" didn't hide her shapely form. Cameron felt himself relaxing and enjoying their conversation.
    O38BUz3.png
    When Kali learned he lived nearby, her interest grew even more.

All the houses in Newcrest are expensive, she reasoned. If he lives there, he's got some money...

Cam was perceptive. He noticed how she perked up when she heard the word "Newcrest," too. Some of his buddies would have told him "Who cares? Use it, man!" Others, like Duncan and Damon, would urge caution. It was Duncan who understood that The One was worth waiting for, and if a woman had Simoleons in her eyes, she was probably not The One for Cameron.

"You know," Kali purred, "You look like you could use a massage today."

Cameron paused for a moment. "Thanks, Kali. Perhaps another time."

"I'll be right here."

A vigorous workout now seemed like a good idea to Cameron, and as he made his way to a vacant treadmill, he resisted the urge to look back to see if Kali was watching him.

She wasn't, having turned her attention to a woman who approached her for a massage.

But Kathleen Morrison was. Her yoga class had just finished, and as she relaxed and prepared for her next one, she smiled. Kathleen had watched Cameron chatting with Kali out of the corner of one eye. It had not been especially good for her focus, but by now, Kathleen could perform her class routines in her sleep. She continued to smile as a plan took shape in her head.

Shortly after 5 pm, Cameron's phone buzzed. He was surprised to see a text from Kathleen. He wasn't aware she had his number, but there it was.

"The Humor & Hijinks Festival is tonight. Want to come drink some tea with me?"

Cameron looked at his phone for a moment. Then he tapped at its screen with two fingers.

"Sure. Meet you there."

Cameron knew what drinking Sakura Tea did to you. He'd seen its effects at the Romance Festival, where it unlocked the romantic in everyone who tried it. He was, therefore, a bit cautious about sampling the offerings at the fountains that had been set up outside the Casbah Gallery.

"I think they just make you silly," Kathleen offered. She had never tried the tea, either. They watched as several other Sims filled their cups and drank them down. Sure enough, within moments, the tea drinkers began to tell jokes and play pranks.

"That honestly looks like fun," Cam admitted.

Kathleen agreed. "Let's do it. Light or Dark?"

"Light." Cameron had watched a woman who had chosen Dark tea pull out a voodoo doll and begin to mess with it. That didn't seem like his style.

The two of them hurried to the Light tea fountain and filled their cups. "Let's sit over here," Kathleen suggested, pointing to a nearby table. Cameron followed her, and the two of them sat down and drank their tea.

The tea acted almost immediately. Cam felt his mood changing. Suddenly, everything seemed hilarious. A woman nearby told a stupid joke, one Cam wouldn't usually find funny at all...but this time, he broke up with laughter! Kathleen responded the same way, perhaps even more outrageously.

Cameron felt the sudden urge to perform an impression, which finished with him clucking like a chicken. Kathleen burst into giggles. So did Dominick and Moira Fyres, who had sat down at the table with them.

The strongest effects of the tea wore off before long, but Cameron found he was still enjoying the festival vibe. He and Kathleen listened to a comedy routine, performed by a fellow called Diego Lobo. Kathleen found Diego's jokes especially funny.
    7iACFjm.jpg

Cameron was having fun, too. Kathleen was good company, energetic and cheerful...even more so with some festival tea in her system. She was definitely cute. And, best of all, she was very easy to talk to; again, was it the tea, or was a more natural kind of chemistry at work?

At one point, Cameron leaned over and playfully shared a secret with Kathleen.
    PP0RLha.jpg
    There was nothing the least bit salacious about the moment, but from across the square, a young woman was watching them. She smiled devilishly, took out her phone, and snapped a picture just as Cameron whispered close to Kathleen's ear.

That night, Cameron lay in bed and thought about the events of the day. Kali's flirtatious interest had been flattering, but that was it. He'd had fun with Kathleen, and he'd probably enjoy hanging out with her again, but he hadn't felt sparks flying. He wasn't sure what he was feeling, but he knew he wasn't in love.

At about the same time, in her bedroom in a house in Windenburg, a girl took out her phone. She hesitated, because she knew she was about to do something mean. It wasn't truly her nature to be malicious, but she was part of a crowd that expected that of her. With a deep sigh, she typed a short message to go with the picture she'd taken, and pressed "send."
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'll apologize in advance for the lack of screenshots to accompany this chapter. It happened in the "theater of the mind," inspired by the in-game events in Chapter 6.

I really ought to make the Bjergsens the active household from time to time so I can get some shots of them talking to each other.

Chapter 7

Sofia had been sound asleep when the text arrived. She awakened in a joyous mood...but that changed as soon as she checked her phone. When she saw the photo, her heart sank. Then she read the message with it, and it sank deeper.

Just thought you might wanna know what your boyfriend was up to tonight…

Her blue eyes filled with tears. But why am I crying? she asked herself. He’s not my boyfriend. But do I want him to be? This hurts. But why am I letting it hurt me?

One soft sob, and then another, and another...

Sofia didn’t have school today, since the next day was Winterfest. It was mid-morning by the time she pulled a fluffy white robe around her and emerged from her bedroom. She hoped she had waited long enough for her dad to go to work and for her sister to find something to do. She didn’t want to talk to anyone besides her mom right now.

Clara took one look at her daughter and knew something was wrong. She got up from the table, moved to the sofa in front of the fire, and patted the seat beside her. “Come talk to me,” she invited.

Sofia sank down onto the couch beside her mother. She took her phone out of the pocket of her robe and handed it to Clara.

Clara looked at the photo and paused to compose her thoughts. She smiled softly and wrapped her arm around her daughter’s shoulders. “Oh, sweetie,” she murmured.

Sofia began to cry, and Clara held her tighter. “I...I..this is so hard,” she whispered.

“I know it is.” Mother and daughter snuggled together for a few moments, as Sofia sobbed softly.

Clara recognized the woman in the picture with Cameron. She’d taken a few classes from Kathleen, too. She used the quiet time to think about what she might say to her distraught daughter.

Sofia was the first to break the silence. “She’s the yoga teacher at the spa, isn’t she?”

Clara nodded. “That’s right.”

Sofia looked up into Clara’s eyes. “She even has hair like mine!” She tried to laugh, and Clara admired her attempt to rally her mood.

“I feel so stupid, Mom. I didn’t know she and Cameron were dating,” she whispered.

Clara thought for a moment. “Do you know they are?” she asked. When Sofia didn’t respond right away, she continued.

“I’ve seen you joke around with Aron Swanson. Does that mean you’re dating?”

“Of COURSE not!!” Sofia shook her head decisively. Then she jabbed her finger at the picture on her phone. “But look at them. They’re out at the festival together.”

“Do you go places with people...guys, even...without it being a date?”

“All the time. Actually, it is never a date.”

“So why do you automatically assume Cameron is on a date here? Do you see anything that looks really romantic here? They’re not holding hands, or cuddling.”

Sofia had to admit her mother had a point here. “I can’t assume that,” she said softly. Clara felt her relax a bit beneath her arm.

“And, honey...Cameron does spend quite a bit of time here. Why do you think that is?” She smiled and touched the tip of Sofia’s nose with her fingertip.

“We have good food.”

“Nope.”

“He and Dad have a bromance.”

Clara laughed. “Yeah, they do. But that’s not it.”

“Then it has to be Elsa. He’s gotta connect with his Number One Fangirl.” Now Sofia was smiling, the first real smile she’d allowed herself since she looked at her phone.

“I clearly have a lot of things to teach you about how guys think. Do we need to have a talk?”

“NO! Sofia shook her head vigorously. “No, we do not!” Mother and daughter giggled.

There was still one thing Clara wondered about. She tilted her head and looked Sofia in the eye. “Will you tell me who sent you that text?”

Sofia nearly didn’t answer. Then, she thought about saying “It’s none of your business.” Two years ago, she probably would have. But not now.

“Morgan Fyres,” she said.

Clara nodded. That’s not a huge surprise, she thought.

Morgan and Sofia were part of rival clubs. Sofia was part of the Paragons, and Morgan was connected to the Renegades. While Clara naturally believed the Renegades were more to blame for the mean-spirited nature of their rivalry, she knew Sofia and the Paragons were far from innocent. Antagonizing the members of the other club was part of both groups’ “code.” The Renegades would consider Morgan’s text a pure power move. The situation was starting to make more sense now.

“Honey, do you think there could be a reason why Morgan would want to create some drama for you?”

Sofia’s eyes opened wide. “Ummm...yeah, I do. Do you think she wants me to think I’m being two-timed...not that I am, but...ummm…” Her cheeks turned bright pink.

Clara smiled and let her daughter’s reaction slide. “I think as long as she’s hanging around with...certain people...she might very well want you to think that.”

“Morgan isn’t nearly as mean as Wolfgang Munch,” Sofia mused. “I think she just wants to fit in with him. And I totally don’t get why they feel like they have to impress that little punk, Max Villareal, except that his family is so rich.” She paused, and smiled. “Honestly, Morgan’s kind of a poser Renegade.”

“So there might not be nearly as much going on as you thought.” Clara gave Sofia another squeeze. “There’s only one person who knows the truth here. And I think he’ll be honest with you.”

“How do I talk to him about it?”

“Don’t accuse him of anything. Beyond that, trust your feelings.”

Not two minutes later, Bjorn came home from work. Sofia was looking infinitely happier than she had been an hour ago, but she was still far from her usual self. Her eyes were red and her face was puffy. She had obviously been crying.

Bjorn came over for a hug. “Is everything OK?” he whispered to his daughter.

“Pretty much.” Sofia squeezed him again, managed a smile, and told her parents she’d be in her room.

Bjorn sat down beside Clara and listened to her explain the reasons for Sofia’s sadness. At first, his protective nature took over. Big time.

“If he breaks her heart, I’ll break his…”

“Stop it, Bjorn. Remember what you said about Cameron the first time we talked about him?”

Bjorn nodded. He’d always thought Cameron was a good man. He’d called Cameron “genuine and real,” and sensed that, with Cameron, what you saw was what you got.

“I don’t think he’s the kind of man who would sneak around. I think he’d be really bad at it,” Bjorn reasoned. “And, I hate to say it, but even if it was a date, Cameron can date whom he pleases.”

Clara looked her husband directly in the eye. “Except our daughter.”

Bjorn took a long, deep breath. “Touché. Except our daughter.” He looked at his hands, which were doing nothing interesting enough to hold his attention as long as they did.

“It feels weird using the word ‘man’ to describe someone who could possibly be dating Sofia,” he admitted.

“It feels weird to use the word ‘woman’ to describe Sofia, but that’s pretty much what she’s become.”

Bjorn smiled and nodded. “Another good point.”

“I’m on a roll.” Clara winked playfully.

“You sure are.” Bjorn got up from the couch and stretched. There were a few more things he wanted to know about Cameron, and the events of the past day had made his questions feel more urgent.

“I’m going to talk with Cameron,” he said. Clara opened her mouth as if to protest.

“No, no, not an interrogation. A conversation. I want to know him better, in case…”

“In case.”
    Post edited by MoonlightGraham on
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    Chapter 8

Bjorn wasn’t going to waste any time. Winterfest was tomorrow. However this turned out, he wanted things to be as settled as possible before the holiday, so everyone involved would have a chance to enjoy the day.

If they deserved to enjoy it.

Bjorn texted Cameron and invited him to join him for a cup of java at South Square Coffee. South Square was usually quieter than The Hare and Hedgehog, better suited for real conversation. Cameron was delighted to receive the invitation; he had no idea it was more than a casual meet-up with a friend.

But as soon as he saw Bjorn, Cam could tell something felt different. He might not have been a secret agent like Bjorn, but he read people and their emotions fairly well. And Bjorn, who was used to making himself seem inscrutable, found his emotions shaped by a father’s love for his daughter. No wonder Cam sensed a difference.

Bjorn did smile as he offered Cameron his hand. “It’s good to see you,” Cameron said.

“You, too. Find us a table, and I’ll buy our coffee.”

“Thanks, Bjorn. That’s really nice of you.” Cameron walked to a table in the corner. It had only two chairs, and Bjorn was pleased that it was unlikely for anyone to join their conversation.

The older man came to the table with a cup of coffee in each hand. Cameron took his and motioned for Bjorn to sit. He did so, and looked across the table at Cameron.

Start with something light, Bjorn thought. No need to cut to the chase right now.

“Do you have plans for Winterfest, Cameron? Are you going to spend the day with your family?”

Immediately, Cam looked down at his lap. So much for keeping things light…

Cameron swallowed hard and looked up. “Unfortunately, no. I...don’t have any family.”
    KVcOYJG.png

The silence that followed was only a few seconds long, but it felt endless. Bjorn’s features relaxed completely. Cameron forgot the slightly weird vibe he’d gotten from Bjorn a few moments ago.

“I’m so sorry. Please forgive my question,” Bjorn asked.

Cam shook his head. “Nothing to forgive, Bjorn. You had no idea.” He took a long sip from his cup and continued.

“I grew up in Sunset Valley. When I was about Elsa’s age, my mom and dad were killed in an accident. I went to live with my grandparents then. They couldn’t have been better parents, honestly.”

Another long sip. Bjorn merely listened.

“Grandma passed away a few months ago. I was afraid Grandpa wouldn’t last much longer. It was only a few more weeks before he was gone, too.”

Bjorn watched Cameron struggle to maintain his composure as he told the story. He’s so young, and he’s lost so much, he thought. And two of those losses are still very new.

“Cameron, I am so sorry for your losses,” he said, his voice soft and gentle.

Cam nodded. “Thank you...that’s very kind of you.” He swallowed hard. “I’m the only child of an only child. So, when Grandpa passed away, he left what they’d had to me. I planned to live in the house while I decided what to do next...but it simply got too hard.”

“I can imagine.”

“So, I sold the house in Sunset Valley and moved here, to Newcrest. I think Grandma and Grandpa would be happy about that. Don’t you?”

At that moment, Cameron seemed very young and completely incapable of doing anyone wrong, including Sofia. And, Bjorn thought, now I understand how he got that house in Newcrest. It all checks out.

Bjorn smiled warmly. “Yes, I really do.”

After a moment, Bjorn spoke again. “You mentioned deciding what to do next. Have you had any time to think about that, or is it still too soon?”

Cameron chuckled softly. “I think about it all the time. I really love to write. I always have. Grandma used to tell me I had a writer’s soul. I didn’t know what that meant, but it sounded cool. I’m still not sure exactly what that means, but I think she could be right.

“I’m going to see if I can make it as a writer. I have some Simoleons left from my grandparents’ estate, and as of today, I have royalty payments coming in. So I’m not completely living off them anymore, right?” He chuckled again. Bjorn did, too.

“Grandpa was a very successful businessman,” Cameron explained. “He taught me the basics of investing, and I’m thinking about trying that with some of the money he left me.”

“Be careful, Cameron. Don’t risk more than you can afford to lose.”

Cam laughed. “You sound just like him!”
    McwFaKs.png

Bjorn now had the answer to one of his questions about Cameron, but the other--the one that had pushed the timetable for this conversation so far forward--hadn’t been addressed yet. And Bjorn still had no real idea how he’d steer the conversation that way, short of asking Cameron a question that seemed terribly direct and awkward, especially after the young man had shared so openly with him.

Then Cameron solved the dilemma for him.

“I really appreciate how friendly your whole family is to me, Bjorn,” he said. “Now you know: it’s just me. No parents, no wife, no girlfriend…”

Bjorn saw his opening and took it. “No? You’re telling me a lad like you--a smart, fit, good-looking young dude--is completely single?”

“Completely. I haven’t had a date since I moved to town.”

“No way!”

“Way. I guess I’m too picky, or I’m hoping for lightning to strike or something. Take last night…”

Bjorn held his breath. Here it comes…

“You know the yoga instructor at Perfect Balance, right?”

Bjorn nodded. “Sure. We’ve taken classes with her. Clara says she’s the best instructor she’s ever had.”

“Well, she texted me and invited me to hang out with her at the festival in San Myshuno last night. We drank some tea, we joked around. I had fun, and she seemed like she had fun, too. But...I don’t know; there’s something missing.”

“There’s no spark,” Bjorn said. “You don’t know why there isn’t, but there’s just not.”

“That’s exactly it! You get it.”

Cameron saw Bjorn’s grin widen. To Cam, it was simply a smile, the kind you share with a friend over a cup of coffee. He had no idea how much relief lay behind it.

Nor did he know how delighted Bjorn would be to share what he’d learned with Clara.
    kBakXmG.png

“Yeah, Cam. I do get it. Completely.”
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    I wish I could remember in whose post I read about creating a "mirror save" for the purpose of setting up screenshots. I'm giving that a try, so now I'll be able to capture moments in the story that occur when Cameron isn't present.

Chapter 9

Bjorn had, honestly, prepared himself to share bad news with his wife and older daughter this afternoon. So you can imagine how light his heart felt when he thought about how different the conversations he was about to have with them would be.

He couldn't find Sofia or Elsa when he arrived home. Elsa had come in from playing outside and had immediately noticed how sad her sister seemed to be. The Bjergsen girls had not always gotten along well--Sofia had always thought Elsa was a pesky little know-it-all--but Elsa couldn't stand to see Sofia looking so blue. She had asked Sofia to take a walk with her, and when Sofia looked over at her mom, Clara had given her an almost imperceptible nod. In mom talk, that meant "Yes, that would be a very good idea. You girls run along."

This gave Bjorn an opportunity to talk to Clara alone, which he decided was a good thing. He shared what Cameron had told him about his family and his life goals.

"I honestly just want to give him a hug," Clara admitted.

"I do, too. I almost did, right there in the cafe."

Clara leaned closer to Bjorn, even though they were alone in the house and couldn't be overheard.

"I'm still curious, though. Did you find out anything about...ummm...the other thing?"

Bjorn pretended to be shocked. "Of course I did! Do you have so little confidence in my...conversational skills?"

Clara rolled her eyes, but she smiled, too. "And....?"

Bjorn proceeded to share what Cameron had told him about the context of the infamous photo Morgan Fyres had sent to Sofia. Immediately, Clara's features relaxed into a warm, knowing smile.
    P7EIngN.jpg
    "So Cameron told you all this without you prompting him?" she inquired.

"That's pretty much it."

"I don't think that was an accident, darling."

Bjorn looked a bit puzzled. "What do you mean? I don't think Cameron knows anything about the picture. He has no reason to defend his actions."

"Goodness, Bjorn...for an investigator, you can be a bit slow on the uptake," she teased. "Can you think of a reason why Cameron might want to make it very clear to you why he's not dating anyone?"

Then Bjorn nodded. "Just in case the topic happened to come up in a conversation with Sofia..."

Clara beamed. Then she paused. 'You know you can't just randomly say "Hey, Sofia! Cameron told me he's single!'...right?"

"Aww, Clara...you know that's what I was about to do!" He laughed, and so did she.

A moment later, they heard footsteps on the stairs. Sofia had come back inside, heard her parents talking, and went upstairs to tell them about Elsa's sweet attempts to cheer her up. As she walked into the room, she heard them laughing.

"What are you two so happy about?" she asked, managing a decent attempt at a smile herself.

Clara looked at Bjorn. "Honey, I had a talk with Cameron today..."

Sofia's mood immediately spun 180 degrees. Her pretty face turned blotchy, "Tell me you did NOT do that! Dad....!"

Bjorn quickly put his hands up, palms outward. "No, no. It wasn't bad. Let me explain."

Sofia remained both unconvinced and feisty. "Oh, please do!"

And Bjorn did.

He watched Sofia's face soften as she heard how Cameron lost the people he loved. He is such a sweet guy, Sofia thought, and he deserves to have a girlfriend he can have fun with. That thought made her blush, and she felt a tiny tweak of sadness, too. I hope he and the yoga teacher will be happy together...

Mothers sometimes seem to be blessed with a special intuition, granted to them when they first look into their baby daughters' eyes. From that moment forward, they sense intuitively what their girl children need most from them...a loving touch, a comforting word, a warning, a look that says "Don't you DARE." Clara Bjergsen possessed this intuition. When her husband paused to take a breath, she rather directly stated, "Dad knows the story behind that photo Morgan texted you."

Sofia's mouth formed an O, and Clara quickly continued. "Not bad. Right, Dad?"

He nodded. "Not bad at all." And he told Sofia what Cameron had told him about his evening at the festival with Kathleen.

"Whatever she thought it was, Cameron is one hundred percent sure it wasn't a date."
    kw3M9oc.jpg
    Sofia wanted to jump up and down and giggle. Then she remembered she had never actually admitted she liked Cameron "that way," perhaps not even to herself. But one look at her face told Clara and Bjorn anything they needed to know about her feelings.

And one look at theirs gave Sofia a pretty good clue that they were fine with that. Still, a girl couldn't be too sure.

"You...don't mind it when Cameron comes over, do you?" she asked.

Clara looked at Bjorn before she replied. "Not a bit, sweetheart. We like Cameron, and we like seeing how happy you are when you're with him."

Sofia blushed several shades deeper than the pink sweatshirt she was wearing.

"We aren't OK with you spending hours and hours alone with him here, but we're just fine with him coming over," Bjorn added.

Sofia nodded. "I understand. Thank you. Thank you both."

Bjorn stood up and smiled. "I'm going to see what my other daughter is up to," he announced.

Once Sofia was alone with her mom, the urge to giggle and bounce on her toes became irresistible. "Now I don't have to have an awkward conversation with Cameron about last night," she pointed out.

"Nor does he have to know about the picture," Clara added.

"No, he doesn't." That's not to say I won't let Morgan know how I feel about what she did, however...Sofia thought.

"I'm so happy," Sofia declared. Then she wrapped her arms around her mom and hugged her tight.
    Uw5jeLR.jpg
    Yevsas mairzeemo!