Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

7 years and babies are still objects - is it time to make them sims?

Comments

• Olalla1986Olalla1986 Posts: 286 Member
    I don’t care much about babies as I rarely play families, but when I do I never skip this life stage. I think they are ok as they are, just crying and pooping and having few cuddle interactions. What I would really like to see are strollers for toddlers and more outdoor activities they could do together with parents. In my opinion they should focus on existing life stages instead of putting resources into babies that are the shortest and basically the least meaningful stage as they still can’t learn any skills like toddlers. There is many more things that older kids are missing that I think focusing on babies will be a waste.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I’m fine with them as they are. I really don’t want to have to search the house and yard for where they were last left because the absent minded parents dropped them in exchange for their latest delivery from Zoomers.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I want to be able to create babies in CAS. I want to see what genetics are passed down from the parents. In sims 2 you could see what eye and hair color your baby would have and what parent they look more like. I want babies to have different clothes and babies should have different temperaments. Some could be fussier, happier, or sillier. They should have cribs, playpens, changing tables, bouncers, swings, playpens, pacifiers, plushies, rattles. All age groups should be able to interact with the baby. A baby should be able to learn to crawl and walk around furniture. Maybe have walkers as well. Babies should be sims, not objects.

This ^^ I want all of this. I enjoy the baby life stage in most of the sims games and for me Sims 4 has the worst version so far.
    I’m fine with them as they are. I really don’t want to have to search the house and yard for where they were last left because the absent minded parents dropped them in exchange for their latest delivery from Zoomers.

In addition to this I really don’t want to have to deal with non household sims autonomously grabbing the baby and walking off when it needs feeding or changing. Like say if grandma shows up and isn’t a household member. She’s happily milling about with squalling starving little womb nugget while social services is telling me they’re about to whisk it away for neglect all because I can’t wrestle it from her well meaning clutches. I already panic when I need to feed or change one and some well meaning uncontrollable visiting sim parks themselves at the foot of the bassinet making “funny” faces as the kid screams about wallowing in its own stink.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Even if they were regarded as actual sims, I'd still treat them like nothing more than skill objects to grind Parenting skill on before they turn into toddlers and start gaining skills of their own, so there's no reason in my view to make them sims.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2021
    Honestly it would be the cutest thing ever to see them crawling around the house. If they were to make babies half as cute as toddlers my vampire will have to adopt one😆😆😆
    I was so disappointed that the toddler stage is missing bottles, carriages, crawling, learning to walk etc. They are too big I guess...
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Olalla1986 wrote: »
    I don’t care much about babies as I rarely play families, but when I do I never skip this life stage. I think they are ok as they are, just crying and pooping and having few cuddle interactions. What I would really like to see are strollers for toddlers and more outdoor activities they could do together with parents. In my opinion they should focus on existing life stages instead of putting resources into babies that are the shortest and basically the least meaningful stage as they still can’t learn any skills like toddlers. There is many more things that older kids are missing that I think focusing on babies will be a waste.

But babies in real life do learn skills...lots, actually. So they don't have to not learn...that's just been how babies were implemented before. They can actually change it if they want to.
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,570 Member
    For me as a player, the baby stage is the one where I bond with my Sims. Having a Sim giving birth to some weird doll is an obstacle to that that I can never completely overcome. I still feel I was much more attached to my Sims in TS2, where the baby stage was a natural part of a Sim's live.

Second thing I sorely miss from TS2 for similar reasons are the statuses that would show whether your Sim was generally living the live of their dreams (platinum status) or was unhappy. I don't see that returning though as they would need to revive whims and make them meaningful and would also need to change the emotion system. Still I really miss that well thought out system so much - even more than babies, actually.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Garaya13Garaya13 Posts: 60 Member
    I hope babies at least get liberated from being a literal object so you can carry them around, go for a walk with a stroller, actually bathe them or change them on a changing table. Kind of like how they were in TS3 basically.
    Also 100 % agree with @musteni about teens. They feel like they're pretty much already adults except they're stuck in school. I think making them shorter, getting more after school activities (for kids as well), having school events like prom etc. would make them feel more like their own life stage.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I'd like to see wraps and slings that reflect the real practices of babywearing cultures across the world.

Babies have no natural requirement for high chairs, diapers, playpens, cribs, baby swings/bouncers, strollers, bottles, or pacifiers, so it would be nice to be able to play natural/attachment parenting, though in Sims4, toddlers can be fed without the use of high chairs, and babies can be breastfed, so aside from the bassinet as the only place for them to sleep, that's pretty close. One can imagine "change diaper" as "potty the baby" pretty easily.

@Babykittyjade if you want toddlers who start off crawling, who must be taught specifically to walk and talk, and the option of cribs, strollers, baby swings, spring toys they can ride, toddler sandboxes etc. you can do all that in Sims3.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I don't enjoy babies (in the game or real life), so clearly no amount of improvement is going to change that for me. I really don't care whether or not they are ever improved so long as playing with them is still optional.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I really need this issue to be at least be fixed.
    Ma88I8H.png
    It's so upsetting when the baby doesn't even look like it belongs in the same family.
  • ElisdreamElisdream Posts: 295 Member
    edited August 2021
    Parents should pass their genetic to the baby.
    Skin detailing should be updated (they pretty weird looking imo, I wish they were cuter)
    Babies should be designables. Just as we can change the onesies, we should get an option to change their hair style, dress them in socks, dresses, hair bows, hats, pacifiers.
    There should be more interactions available for sims and babies.
    Sims could rock babies in the rocking chair, if there's a couch or chair near the bassinet they could sit down to breast feed the baby, etc.
    I really miss the crawling. They should make an object with a bit of a crawling animation, something like a blanket, where you can place the baby and it'd move around, or it'd "try to turn". Adults could sit down the baby there, and the baby could sweetly fall to the side, or "grab" some toys. Toddlers could join and play together.
    There should be more interactions between babies and kids/toddlers. There should be an option like "meet new baby sister /brother", and adults could ask toddlers "to be gentle" and kids "to be nice with the new baby". 💕
    Post edited by Elisdream on
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited August 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It's so upsetting when the baby doesn't even look like it belongs in the same family.

I thought they HAD fixed this issue but required players to start new save files or am I thinking of something else? Or that there wass some reason why this happened and EA explained how to fix it....somewhere...I can't remember to be honest...

Also i'm shocked a modder hasn't fixed this issue considering the amount of mods that "fix" problems with the game and if this is a problem maxis hasn't addressed why nobody else has tried?

Regardless if this problem hasn't been fixed, maybe it could be with a baby overhaul too?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »

I thought they HAD fixed this issue but required players to start new save files or am I thinking of something else? Or that there wass some reason why this happened and EA explained how to fix it....somewhere...I can't remember to be honest...

I don't remember them saying that however you could be right. It's still broken for me and it's a pretty old save. However I don't think that 8 generations in I should be forced to start a new save file and lose those months of playtime and work just so that my baby is the right colour.

It ruins all screenshots and story telling too.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SimsGrownSimsGrown Posts: 17 Member
    I miss when you could interact with the babies. Watch tv while you hold them, bare minimum they me move a foot away from the crib and while they are at it… I want better cribs!
  • Mizzila1297Mizzila1297 Posts: 620 Member
    I am honestly alright either way. I mean, there's pros and cons to them being "objects" vs being Sims... In earlier Sims games, I will admit, the whole never-put-the-baby-in-the-crib deal got really old really fast. But, I also don't really know how I feel about them being able to be moved in build/buy mode, as well as having to be placed from family inventory when your Sims move lots... It's a little odd if you ask me haha

But again, either way is fine by me!
    Camkat wrote: »

I don't remember them saying that however you could be right. It's still broken for me and it's a pretty old save. However I don't think that 8 generations in I should be forced to start a new save file and lose those months of playtime and work just so that my baby is the right colour.

It was listed as fixed in this patch: PC: 1.75.125.1030 / Mac: 1.75.125.1230
    Console: Version 1.42 released May 27, 2021. I have had several babies in old saves and new since and haven’t run into it. Are you by chance using cc skin tones? I as because they have been known to cause this issue before.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    SimsGrown wrote: »
    I miss when you could interact with the babies. Watch tv while you hold them, bare minimum they me move a foot away from the crib and while they are at it… I want better cribs!

I honestly would be a little more happy with just a normal crib or some other types of basinets and rockers. What I hate most about the babies is that the stupid basinet doesn't ever match my décor.
  • BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 637 Member
    I wouldn't mind if they were like in the Sims 2. Babies could be in a bouncy chair, or a tummy time mat, and they can have unique cribs, changing tables, etc. But keep the same breastfeeding option from the Sims 4.
  • alejandro15039alejandro15039 Posts: 939 Member
    As a side note, babies have been objects in every single Sims games, both 1 2 and 3.

This is why they can't be edited or created in cas, because they are not actually sims. This is also why babies all look the same aside from skin color variation. Even npcs like Agnes Crumplebottom were technically objects , which is why having a vampire bite her would corrupt your game, because she's not a Sim. But your comment about sims technically not existing until toddlerhood has been the case for every single Sims game.

You just never noticed they were objects because they weren't tied to a crib. They didn't feel like objects. Them being objects is nothing new though.. I'm less familiar with sims 3, but I remember burrito babies were quite a challenge for modders to fix since they are technically objects and not sims.

Do I think they should be freed from the bassinet though? Absolutely.

If you want more info on objects babies,, this article goes into it a bit. https://extratime.media/the-sims-babies-through-the-years/

They are actual sims in S3, you can edit them with cheats in CAS.
  • scandinaviansimscandinaviansim Posts: 16 Member
    [quote="somewhsome;c-17953885"]I would love them to be actual sims. But I would be kinda fine with them being objects if they were at least movable. If we could move them from crib to a stroller and take them to community lots, that would be a significant improvement for me. I hate this the most about babies — we can't take them anywhere and have to leave our newborns “at daycare” even if our sims are going to the park. How that's realistic? [/quote]

I agree with this. I would be ok with them being “objects” but I would like to at least have strollers, cribs and options to dress them. And maybe some more interactions would be nice. I loved when you could bathe them in the sink.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Babies in the Sims 4 are the scariest versions yet. First time I played them thought they were going to murder my Sims. Such a shame but Sims Free play still has the best babies in all the Sims games so far, so makes the PC/console version look bad that they can't keep up with their mobile counterparts. I mean if devs don't care about the Sims 4 true they don't have to update them. I think it would benefit sales in the long run if they were updated. Doesn't make a difference it seems if Sims 4 reputation at the end of its development stage ends up being bad anyways. The sooner people asks for content to be removed and stopped, the sooner Sims 5 will begin. So up to EA if they value development of their games or not. I have a feeling once babies are updated, that will be the final big project for the Sims 4 and they will start selling the next one. Just seeing the usual wrap up of another iteration and feels like they don't have much ideas left to do after babies.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

Console: Version 1.42 released May 27, 2021. I have had several babies in old saves and new since and haven’t run into it. Are you by chance using cc skin tones? I as because they have been known to cause this issue before.

Never used CC or Mods ever in my TS4 game so that's not it. I'm also not the only one with this issue. I haven't tested a new save yet, however, as I've said before, I shouldn't have to restart an 8 generation old save just for this fix. Or any fix for that matter. We should not need new saves for every patch.

This also isn't the first time bugs were "fixed" but not fixed in my game, or fixed but then broken again on the very next patch. :/
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited August 2021

Never used CC or Mods ever in my TS4 game so that's not it. I'm also not the only one with this issue. I haven't tested a new save yet, however, as I've said before, I shouldn't have to restart an 8 generation old save just for this fix. Or any fix for that matter. We should not need new saves for every patch.

This also isn't the first time bugs were "fixed" but not fixed in my game, or fixed but then broken again on the very next patch. :/

Same here…. I have never used mods or CC in the sims 4 either. And, I have the a baby problem too when I save the family to the library/gsllery last time I checked. They seem to be having problems fixing plants not turning to dirt piles ( at least in green houses ) too.