Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you want to be able to set starting funds and career in CAS?

Since it's so easy to cheat these things once in the game (and cheat into a house) why not make it a storytelling feature, right? I could imagine it feeling like so much more fun to make a young style influencer heiress right from CAS and start the game that way. Or conversely decide to make a penniless runaway with no career at all. Part of the fun of life is that we all start from different places in life right? Imagine if sims had funds and careers when downloaded from the gallery as well!

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    There are definitely cases in which I would find that handy, and more options or control are welcome.

That said, these are things that can easily be established with cheats in Live mode, without much difficulty.
  • simopolissimopolis Posts: 147 Member
    It's true, they can. I was just thinking it might make for fun storytelling for those who enjoy feeling "above-board" aka "no cheating" with their gameplay. I sometimes feel like if I have to cheat to do it, I'm not "supposed" to be doing it, and it breaks the immersion for me.
  • Archie128Archie128 Posts: 94 Member
    An easy way of making a household rich without cheating is to merge them with a lotto winning household. Then splitting off the household and transferring money.

I have never used any money cheat before 😂
    I know this is silly but I feel like it's still cheating if I merge sims with other sims just for the money. Maybe if I made it a rule that I had to make that sim my best friend before I asked them to move in. Maybe even make it a murder situation. That could spice things up. I would just like to have other options as well for starting with a sim who has lots of assets or also sometimes less than 20,000. I guess the sims start feeling all the same if they all start with the same funds. Unnecessary gripe? Maybe. But I think it could be cool for simmers to have a bigger sandbox right from the get-go.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Archie128 wrote: »
    An easy way of making a household rich without cheating is to merge them with a lotto winning household. Then splitting off the household and transferring money.

I have never used any money cheat before 😂

That's nice. What's nicer is merging the sim into the lotto winner's household...then the lotto winner dies under mysterious circumstances >:)
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,544 Member
    edited August 2021
    Yes, definitely.

I like to set up a starter game with sims across all worlds and it would be great to be able to set starting funds and careers without having to jump through hoops.

This is actually a genius idea, I don't know why EA didn't think of it.

It should also include setting a career level.

And we need more relationship settings in cas while they're at it 😄

Edit - forgot to say, I feel exactly the same about 'cheating' and merging households.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Yes, ive mentioned before in a different thread but I would love to have the ability to set almost any feature for my sims in CAS, starting funds, career, skills, lifestyles, reputation, character value traits, etc.
  • highfivehannahhighfivehannah Posts: 18 Member
    It could be a cool feature to have because it is sometimes strange to me that everyone is at the same level of a career as each other. Like someone has to be the boss of other sims why can't it be a sim we make ourselves or even a premade that we add the career to through CAS.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    It’s so easy to do that once your sim is made, just make sure that you get the house up and designed first and then build the sim from the world the house is in.

I just did that so I can make one of my romance game stories come to life in the Sims. I made my hunky billionaire, moved him into his penthouse, then picked the apartment for his love interest, a lovely girl marketing genius, and then created her and moved her in to her place.

I used the free real estate cheat for both and then motherloded him to billionaire and her to successfully comfortable.

😃 💃 🕺
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    I don't need (or want) it for my played Sims, at least the ones I play actively. I like to level them up in their careers and earn their money myself, but it could be handy for the family members that are older. It's awkward if the parents or grandparents are on first level of their careers.

• RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    simopolis wrote: »
    Since it's so easy to cheat these things once in the game (and cheat into a house) why not make it a storytelling feature, right? I could imagine it feeling like so much more fun to make a young style influencer heiress right from CAS and start the game that way. Or conversely decide to make a penniless runaway with no career at all. Part of the fun of life is that we all start from different places in life right? Imagine if sims had funds and careers when downloaded from the gallery as well!

I would love that!
    As I sometimes make families that I only want to play one sim of, for example I'd want to only play the teenage child but I'd still want their parents to have jobs and not just starting out but be established in them.
    I mean the "create a story" (or what it is called) in CAS can do that but it is too random and up to chance.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I would love this! How I play now is to build all the houses, create all the families, go into every single home and set them up with some sort of situation in life, play, but with the next generation instead of with the founders. Setting up the founders could take nearly a year since it takes so ling to have to use a ton of cheats.
    Yes, definitely.

I like to set up a starter game with sims across all worlds and it would be great to be able to set starting funds and careers without having to jump through hoops.

This is actually a genius idea, I don't know why EA didn't think of it.

It should also include setting a career level.

And we need more relationship settings in cas while they're at it 😄

Edit - forgot to say, I feel exactly the same about 'cheating' and merging households.

Woot!! Glad I'm not alone in this!!! I agree about career level wholeheartedly. Is it weird that I want the gameplay harder at the same time? Like, harder to advance in careers, harder to earn money. But these feels like a way to satisfy my need to explore the game, while not feeling like cheating, and making it easier once they make it harder if that makes any sense?

OMG, yes relationship levels in CAS would be ideal also, I'm talking despised, it's complicated, friends, acquaintances, green bar, red bar!!! GREAT idea!!!
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I would love this! How I play now is to build all the houses, create all the families, go into every single home and set them up with some sort of situation in life, play, but with the next generation instead of with the founders. Setting up the founders could take nearly a year since it takes so ling to have to use a ton of cheats.

100% agree this is why this would make so much sense to me.
    RavenSpit wrote: »

I would love that!
    As I sometimes make families that I only want to play one sim of, for example I'd want to only play the teenage child but I'd still want their parents to have jobs and not just starting out but be established in them.
    I mean the "create a story" (or what it is called) in CAS can do that but it is too random and up to chance.

Yes!!! Sometimes we don't want to start 100% from scratch. At the moment I'm obsessed with using premades because they at least have some work put into their lore and starting place so it doesn't feel as monotonous. I would love to have the ability from CAS to make my sims have lore!!! I would use CAS so much more!!!
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,031 Member
    I would love it! Especially when creating older sims it feels weird that they know nothing, have no education and no career. The story mode is fun, but too limited in my mind. I'd love to be able to set things like education, career and job level and skills off the bat. I would also love to be able to create more complex relationships from the get go, so step-parents/siblings, grandparents, cousins and so on.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I'm not opposed to having this, but it's easy enough to take care of in live mode. I understand your opposition to using cheats, though.

However, I'm wondering whether you've used the story mode in CAS at all? You can already pretty easily game the system to get the career and approximate level of household funds you want. If the questions that first pop up aren't taking you in the right direction, you can just skip those questions until you hit some that seem relevant. It takes a little trial and error, but it's not that hard to pick up. I rarely use it myself, but wanted to do a test save the other day, and it only took me 5 or 10 minutes to end up with a scientist with high household funds.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    edited August 2021
    What I would really like to be able to do while in CAS is to set skills for our Sims, most particularly if you're creating an entire family all at once. I'm having to cheat up their skills now, via MCCC and it takes soooo much time. It's one thing to tweak things with a mod, but to be able to let's say randomize skills for each Sim while in CAS, that makes far more sense. Adding to that the career and being able to set how much Simoleons they start off with would be cool.
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I'm not opposed to having this, but it's easy enough to take care of in live mode. I understand your opposition to using cheats, though.

However, I'm wondering whether you've used the story mode in CAS at all? You can already pretty easily game the system to get the career and approximate level of household funds you want. If the questions that first pop up aren't taking you in the right direction, you can just skip those questions until you hit some that seem relevant. It takes a little trial and error, but it's not that hard to pick up. I rarely use it myself, but wanted to do a test save the other day, and it only took me 5 or 10 minutes to end up with a scientist with high household funds.

But you can only do that ONCE per game save and it's only for one Sim, not the entire family, if you're working on building a family up front. It has it's drawbacks.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    But you can only do that ONCE per game save and it's only for one Sim, not the entire family, if you're working on building a family up front. It has it's drawbacks.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I suppose then it would still be useful for people who start new saves frequently, don't play rotationally, and like to start with single sims. Which is not me, so that's probably why I hadn't messed around with it before.
  • Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited August 2021
    I sometimes feel like if I have to cheat to do it, I'm not "supposed" to be doing it, and it breaks the immersion for me.

If you "weren't supposed" to be doing it, it would be impossible to do. At least that's my outlook on it. It seems to me that TS4 relies heavily on the cheats and mods to make this game fuller. Not to spark the whole "see? it's unfinished!!!1!!111!11" debate, but it is a Thing that the game literally allows.

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    Sometimes I annex townies into my game for whatever reason, usually they marry into the rotation. In those cases, it would be really helpful to set their starting skills, career, etc. Sometimes I use cheats for this but would not have to. (I view cheats as a way to moderate the game to my liking and I don't have a stigma about that especially if doing so solves an issue that would otherwise annoy me).
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2021
    What I would really like to be able to do while in CAS is to set skills for our Sims, most particularly if you're creating an entire family all at once. I'm having to cheat up their skills now, via MCCC and it takes soooo much time. It's one thing to tweak things with a mod, but to be able to let's say randomize skills for each Sim while in CAS, that makes far more sense. Adding to that the career and being able to set how much Simoleons they start off with would be cool.
    Amapola76 wrote: »

You can do it anytime, there is a separate button “create a sim via a story” that looks like a book. But yes, not very suitable for families (especially if you're creating children/parents/siblings using genetics button).
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    My opinion is unpopular here, but I think it's too much like cheating and should be done via cheats. I like that this game has so many sandbox elements, but I don't want it to turn into a complete dollhouse. I think careers/money should be obtained through gameplay (with the option to cheat them if you want).
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,967 Member
    edited August 2021
    I wish there was a money cheat to add smaller amounts than 1,000. Maybe a 50 dollar money cheat…. Instead of kaching maybe just simply 50dollars…. For $50 increments, a cheat easy to remember. Also, if they could add a negative money cheat. Such as minuskaching and minus50dollars. This way if I want my sims to have to buy their own clothes or something it would be easy to take away dollar amounts.

I would love to see a clothing challenge with different prices set for each piece of an outfit. Clothing that looks more expensive set for a higher price. And when you open CAS for the family in that lot you can only choose from the clothes they already own, unless you spent money to open up an additional outfit. They could also go back into ‘get together’ and make it where you could also buy off of a rack rather than a mannequin if you wanted to. Like the simple living challenge, this would imitate the past sims games where you had to buy clothing to be stored in a dresser. I would play rags to riches if there was this lot challenge as well as the simple living one.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    edited August 2021
    @SheriSim57 you can use the cheat "money x" where x is exactly the amount of money you want the household to have.