Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long do you guys usually keep playing a save file for?

2...Next

Comments

• GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    I’m playing first save since 2014. I have two other saves I tried playing, but have no internet in them.

Woah, 2014?! That's crazy! You must have so many memories attached to that save file! 😮
    DazedLlama wrote: »
    I'm still playing with my first save I created back in 2006-2007 (I even don't remember the year). The family has 5 generations. I know it's not too many but some periods of my life I didn't play at all. Also there are so many households in this save and I try to play with each of them. In my first two generations my sims had many children, now I allow them to have only one child per family :) Recently I created one more family for the legacy challenge and there are already the 4th generation, but I play only with one household so it's much faster to live a sims' life.

Oh jeez, I think you might have the longest save file I've seen! 2006 - 2007?!? That's crazy! Are you playing in one of the premade neighborhoods or have you made your own? And, hey, 5 generations is pretty darn impressive on its own as well, regardless of when you started!
    It... varies. I have experimental neighborhoods/saves, and others I continue on for generation after generation. Also some more personal story driven saves, as well. Depends my mood! :D

Haha I'm the same way! No matter what Sims game I'm playing I always have multiple save files too! It just doesn't feel right to build in my gameplay world or to have gameplay in my building/testing world. :D Gotta keep them separate!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    My longest running save was Desiderata with Downtown, Bluewater Ville, the family bin sims and my own sims, 2009 - 2015. However, I didn't play continuously, there were two long breaks and a couple of smaller ones. But even so, this game was something special that no other Desiderata playthrough I'll do after it can ever compare to.

Normally my rotational saves last about two years, and I always have smaller side saves that last between a week and two months.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    Perpetually...that's the goal! I have created an Uberhood where I've combined all of the neighborhoods into a giant world...basically I have pleasantview as the base and strangetown, veronaville, belladonna cove, desiderata valley, etc are all technically "shopping districts." I play rotationally.
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • IamJIamJ Posts: 44 Member
    I started my neighborhood with three families and I have played rotationally with all of their kids and their kids and so on, am now on generation six and have approximately 70 households by now. I’m aiming for ten generations at least, but I can’t see myself giving it up so I honestly don’t know what I’ll do at that point. I’ll likely play it until there are too many sims to run it. I have never intentionally quit a save file, I don’t get tired of them. The only way I’ve ever played sims is rotationally and generationally, so I really don’t know what else I would do.
  • peterskywalkerpeterskywalker Posts: 553 Member
    I have been playing in the same custom neighborhood since 2010.

However I have made extensive changes/complete makeovers since (including changing families appearance and memories).

My current version of the neighborhood I have been playing since around 2019.

Here is an example of my current hood and subhoods now (although even these pictures are 3 years old)
    The main hood
    EHXipF1.jpg

Downtown
    SJBbt1r.jpg

Subhood
    pDU4tIq.jpg

The hood mostly consists of community lots I downloaded off the internet (with interiors modified by me).

True Love
    Terrific Family Play
    Too fun
    The sims 2 forever
  • miababyymiababyy Posts: 7 New Member
    i usually don't keep them for long, i get bored
  • ignominiusrexignominiusrex Posts: 2,680 Member
    I can't keep them too long before something gets glitchy. Spiral stairs, butlers, vacation homes, it's always something.

I like the idea of playing generations, but that always ends up feeling too grindy. The parts I like best are things that can't be done in a focused or relaxed manner while juggling the needs of children.

You can call me Iggy or Rex (he/him) 10 ways to Fight Hate
    ```
    wonderfullymade.jpg
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    No idea but several years. I tend to send every teenager through college and fill the dormitories I use with playable sims.
  • sonicgamersonicgamer Posts: 31 Member
    The longest I ever held onto a Pleasantview save file was more than 50 in-game sim days. My Pleasantview accumulated to about 23 households; I had to add some houses from the lot bin, because the other houses were occupied.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I have game save files that are almost old enough to vote. True, on an old and creaky XP machine, but there. The ones on this machine aren't exactly spring chickens.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    It's varied over the years, depending on when I got bored or if I had errors that corrupted it. Usually that second one would end things and I'd have to start over. But I spent/spend a lot of time on my current custom hood, cleaning it and keeping it error free with hoodchecker and SimPe. The backup file informs me was started in 2015. So 8 years.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Speaking of a neighborhood game file, I can keep those indefinitely. I play Sims 2 with rotational play, so I create multiple families and do so over time, so that can keep me busy for years. I keep expanding into new houses and lots. Since I play with aging off, rotational play is how I keep things with variety. I have always played with Belladonna Cove, but over many years I kind of exhausted that neighborhood and began experimenting with Pleasantview. That didn't last too long as I am back to Belladonna Cove now.

I can play with an individual family for 1-2 months until that family becomes tiresome and it is time to move on to the next.
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I have game save files that are almost old enough to vote. True, on an old and creaky XP machine, but there. The ones on this machine aren't exactly spring chickens.

@Oldeseadogge Glad your computer is serving you well. Sounds like there is a lot of history and memories in your game files. I may need to revisit some of my original sims files - for old times sake. Remember to keep backups.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Won't say that machine is old, but its first OS was Windows 98. You're right about the memories and history, which speaks well of the richness and depth of this version.
  • johnny33johnny33 Posts: 91 Member
    I usual play a single sim family and max out their skills/hobbies/careers and when I get bored I just start over with another single sim :D
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    johnny33 wrote: »
    I usual play a single sim family and max out their skills/hobbies/careers and when I get bored I just start over with another single sim :D

That's me with Sims 4. I do have a save file from 2019 that I change or add to, then use for new saves. But I start over with a single Sims every few months.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • beldred74beldred74 Posts: 3 New Member
    I hope this thread isn't too old to bring back but I couldn't resist. So awesome to see some others playing their files as long as I have.

My current file was started in 2011. I play 6 neighborhoods with dozens of families in each. They all have a college and at least one shopping district or downtown as well. I rotate all around with my families, playing one for a couple hours then switching to another. (I usually only turn on Sims 2 when I have at least 3 hours to play. Around 2-3 times per month when I have a veg day.)

Right now I'm fighting the broken heart that will come if I can't get my files to transfer to the new machine I got. So far the usual way is not working but I refuse to give up on them yet!!
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    A few years RL, I guess.
  • EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    I usually focus on one sim. He or she completes his lifetime want and becomes rich with lifetime happiness points enough to buy Elixir of Life and stay young for the rest of their life.
    Meanwhile, I try to play with other sims and do the same things too. But because I'm playing with the story progression mod, it's dangerous to leave my focused sim, otherwise, they might end up being aged up to elder.
    Additionally, I usually end up making my focused sim a witch so the game becomes very easy and pointless and I start a new one.
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr
  • ALazySimmerALazySimmer Posts: 16 Member
    I am still mourning my first strangerville save that was many years in and lost to changing computers. I love raising Sims in game and seeing how they turn out, unless the file corrupts or for some reason I need to do a fresh install and can't salvage the files, I just keep going. When an elder sim dies from a life well lived, I'm only sad for a moment. I am ready to move on to the next generation.