Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Living

I have been trying to get my house to run on solar, wind, generator etc. and cant seem to get it up and running. What am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I'm interested in this, too, because I haven't been able to make it work.

The one house I had was tiny and required about 300 solar panels to not use any energy. Not exactly ideal and I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Tiny house, and swap all appliances with off the grid ones. And have a lot of windmills.
    Swapping appliances is huge.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    You don't necessarily need off the grid appliances, they do help, but the bigger contributor is appliance upgrades, almost every appliance has upgrades to recycle water or use less energy. Ground solar panels and ground wind turbines also have upgrades that make them produce more power. You could also use a variety of lot traits that help with utility production.
    Of course you don't need the off the grid appliances, but it seems to offer bills that pay you, not the other way around.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    Click your mailbox and make sure you are storing power instead of selling it
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    The weather matters. Solar panels didn't really work for me in the snowy part of Mt. Komorebi, but they work really well for me in many other areas.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited August 2021
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Click your mailbox and make sure you are storing power instead of selling it

This.
    • Also, have as many "off the grid" objects as possible, even without the trait. A great deal of them can be integrated in the decór without major issues.
    • The lot traits for geotermic flow and natural water are so much of a help it feels like cheating lol
    • Alongside solar panels and wind mills, the energy collecting roof pattern is a must. Cover all your house with it, trust me.
    • Reduce the number of lights, use the eletric ones on automatic only. You'll realize we don't even need many to set a cozy home.
    • Mechanically improve objects to recycle or use less water with created sustainable pieces.
    • Don't be afraid of the industrial water gatherer if needed.
    • Run the reduce and recycle trait on the lot to make tons of bits and pieces, they always come in handy when you least expect.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    How much power and water your sims use is a big part of it too. You can supply plenty of power and water if you have the roof space to cover with solar panels and wind generators and ground space outside to put in the ground-based dew collectors and turbines.

But it's not going to do you much good if your sims are running their electronics and TVs and whatnot constantly. Of course you should be using eco-upgrades (water recyclers, energy-efficient devices, all that good stuff) but your sims need to rely a lot less on technology for their entertainment.

Also, clicking on a light source and putting "Auto-Lights" on "All Lights" will make sure lights that aren't in use aren't left on to suck up power.

You'll also want to babysit your garden sprinklers; turn them on and off manually when your plants need water because it doesn't take nearly as long as the auto-cycle runs that sprinkler.

And of course "off-the-grid" objects help.

I've played with no issue on off-the-grid lots, but you really do have to keep in mind that it's "supply AND demand", not "supply OR demand".
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space