Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

7 years and babies are still objects - is it time to make them sims?

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
Its been 7 years since the Sims 4 was released and patched into a very respectable game from its 2014 release that featured under cooked or completely missing content - including babies at objects rather than a sims life stage.

This in retrospect is kinda surprising as everything else from the base game has been updated to some extent, but babies have not.

First you have to remember babies don't actually exist as Sims, but as objects no different than an "egg" that "hatches" into a sim after a period of time. That means Sims don't actually exist until they become toddlers (or before toddlers were added, children) in the Sims 4.

Personally I'm not crying for babies, but I do feel like they are missing from the game and replaced with some creepy doll clone like object that I've gone out of my way to avoid for that very creepy clone doesn't-look-like-a-sim reason. Plus as an cloned object, I don't feel anything towards "it" more than any other object vs how we grow to care for our actual sims.

So I find myself wanting to see babies added as an actual life state now, if only so they EXIST in a realistic state as Sims vs an object which individually look unique to some extent (maybe weight, eye color, nose, ect) and are allowed to crawl outside of their crib? I'd love to see strollers added to the game, breast feeding might be a reach but well within age range if they added nursing shawls/blankets/covers but there are definitely ways to expand on babies by making them SIMS and not objects.

Again not a huge overhaul, but enough to make it feel like you have an actual living sim in your house and not an object that makes crying noises.

I mean with the amount of money this game has now made over 7 years (as claimed in investor calls) its not like they can't ask for the budget to introduce them!

So my question is for developers, why after 7 years - WHY are babys still objects from a broken initial base game? If your answer is statistically sim players don't bother with babies in the Sims 4 - well maybe thats because they arent' sims, but just a creepy crib object with limited playability?

For simmers, my question is (even if you wouldn't spend a lot of time with them) would you like to see babies turned into a life stage?

7 years and babies are still objects - is it time to make them sims? 212 votes

Yes, I'd like to see babies added as life stage
53% 113 votes
No, I prefer babies remain as objects
16% 36 votes
I don't care either way
29% 63 votes

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I kind of hate them as they are. Their shrill cries cause me no delight. (And if you say that is realistic, fine, but I am playing a game and not parenting.) Though I do not really care if they stay objects or not. I always accept improvements, but I am perfectly content aging them up nearly immediately.

My only request here is if they are reworked, please do not make them more annoying to put up with. I think 4 has the best toddlers, so I have hope it could be good, but if they are awful I will be the first to wish they were objects again.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    All I want is to be able to see their needs. That's all I care about.
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    I avoid babies. They are very creepy. :D
    He/Him
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    The Sims in TS2 generally left babies on the floor with dirty diapers. I had to make someone feed and change them. They aren't babies long enough for anyone to waste time making them more like pets.
  • Options
    Cary1213Cary1213 Posts: 91 Member
    It would be cool if you could create babies in CAS and you can assign them the same traits as toddlers get.
    SvgJRlK.png
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I think between life stage babies, retirement, active school system, personal bios, and updating family tree are going to be the major things still needing to be done for family players. Babies being objects has been as disappointing as there no toddler life stage in the beginning of the Sims 4 lifetime. Babies being objects are probably one of the many major reasons why the Sims 4 hasn't ended its development yet.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The fact that it’s taking so long for an update leaves me little to no hope they will ever be improved.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I want them to be real sims and share the genetics of their parents right from birth just like we could with babies in the Sims 2. I would love for my sims to have more interactions with them and not put them down in between every single one.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I'm not bothered by the babies in this game. They're easy to take care of and give my sims a break before the toddler stage. I'm not against them being improved as I think that'd be great, but this is very very very low on my list of changes I'd like to see made to the game.
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    I would love them to be actual sims. But I would be kinda fine with them being objects if they were at least movable. If we could move them from crib to a stroller and take them to community lots, that would be a significant improvement for me. I hate this the most about babies — we can't take them anywhere and have to leave our newborns “at daycare” even if our sims are going to the park. How that's realistic?
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    It would be really nice to have babies as sims. I don't really find it neccessary though. I am happy with babies being an object. I just wish their bassinet would be draggable so I can move them around the house and potentionally take them on a vacation. If I am not mistaken babies won't travel with you on a vacation.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I think the babies we have are adorable, actually. But I'd really like them to be Sims instead of objects.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,426 Member
    I'm not sure anymore. Coming from sims 2 it feels kind of weird that babies are just cribs. I would like to be able to carry them around in the house, or just even place them in a different crib. But on the other hand there are other things which I would like to see adressed first.
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    If they got made into actual Sims, it's likely I'd still age them up immediately. That said, if there were pushchairs/prams, walking-with-pushchairs routes for Sims to follow (like if they were jogging), *and* toddlers could take advantage of being pushed about too, then I might keep infants around a bit longer. It'd be nice to see other Sims out and about with their own infants, as well. I'm not going to be sad if it never happens, will not be sad if it does. Viable options for everyone, I say.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited August 2021
    As a side note, babies have been objects in every single Sims games, both 1 2 and 3.

This is why they can't be edited or created in cas, because they are not actually sims. This is also why babies all look the same aside from skin color variation. Even npcs like Agnes Crumplebottom were technically objects , which is why having a vampire bite her would corrupt your game, because she's not a Sim. But your comment about sims technically not existing until toddlerhood has been the case for every single Sims game.

You just never noticed they were objects because they weren't tied to a crib. They didn't feel like objects. Them being objects is nothing new though.. I'm less familiar with sims 3, but I remember burrito babies were quite a challenge for modders to fix since they are technically objects and not sims.

Do I think they should be freed from the bassinet though? Absolutely.

If you want more info on objects babies,, this article goes into it a bit. https://extratime.media/the-sims-babies-through-the-years/
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    MZsimmerMZsimmer Posts: 21 Member
    I’d like to create sims in the CAS menu, and then see the babies crawling around, with their own necessities
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm fine with the current babies, works well enough for the game. I would absolutely love the resources go to improving teens instead. That lifestage just doesn't feel right.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited August 2021
    After thinking it over I made the wrong choice. I said I didn't care but I actually prefer if they stayed as is. Reason babies are a short stage and honestly the least interesting. Irl babies aren't really fun because they are fragile and can't do anything. They sleep, poop, and eat that's it. The only real perk of a baby is that they are cute.

Babies in the sims aren't any different. They eat, poop, and sleep. Would it be nice to take them out of the crib maybe but in the end they wouldn't be anything more then an object for your older sims to carry while they did other things. Maybe changing them on a table or giving them a bath in the a sink would add cute moments and nice little details to the game but I still wouldn't care.

I would much rather see them add more stuff to toddlers why because just like rl toddlers are where it's at. They still need older sims to take care of them and help them with their most basic needs but they can do so much with other sims and on their own and with how crazy and chaotic toddlers can be I think that where most of our memorable moments happen.

That said if they do a rework all I ask for is that they let me see their needs, make them actually cute, and have visable genetics.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    I'm craving to have real babies. I want to see which skintone, hair and eye color they inherited before they age to toddlers. I want to take them to Community Lots. I want to be able to have a Sim sit with them in the rocking chair or on the sofa and feed/sing to them/cuddle ... them there.
    I want Sims to be able to interact with the baby while it is held by another Sim. I want to be able to bathe babys. I want a blanket to put them on so they can play and other Sims can play with them there.

I guess I have to stop here.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I prefer them the way they are now. If I get bored, I'll just age them up to toddlers. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited August 2021
    I'm pretty much over it, it's been 7 years and I've dealt with these "objects" this long. I seriously don't care any more and in the back of my head is always the thought that if they did release them, they would more than likely end up disappointing me and not be what I was hoping for anyway. This has happened numerous times with things in TS4 in my opinion, it sounds good in theory but the execution is very lack-luster (looking at you likes/dislikes).

I hope they do come for those that have been wanting them, so I'll be happy if they fix them, but I'm just not fussed about it for myself. If they come, they come ... if they don't *shrug*, dealt with it this long.
    Post edited by Chicklet453681 on
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited August 2021
    I think they need update but i dont really know if I'm concerned about them being tied to objects tbh and like idk if their looks changes anything for me

mostly id just like to change objects they are tied to

like get some strollers and ability to change cribs and being able to do some more stuff with babies like play with some baby toys bathe them and whatever

put the baby in backpack like everything else and go on adventure :lol:

i meaan baby carriers are thing i suppose? maybe something like that?

oh and just taking baby around holding them so i can show them the world and take them on ridiculously high cliffs and tell that all they can see is theirs...yeah i suppose that means not tied to object
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    You can take the family dog on a walk around the neighbourhood, but not the baby. On the plus side I've gotten used to just leaving and coming whenever because some pretend nanny apparently shows up while I'm gone and takes care of the babies. Would prefer if at least cats would go and crawl up and sleep in their cot, or if dog sniffed around and alerted the parents when the baby cries. They're a bit creepy right now, kind of like those re-born dolls.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    If babies were freed, I’d be happy about it. However, I wouldn’t like to see them put on the floor constantly like in past games. I’d like sims to hold babies until there was an appropriate place to put them. I know real babies get “tummy time” on the floor, but there should be a blanket for that, I think.

In general I think babies are way too easy in Sims 4 and they are quite needy IRL. It doesn’t have to be exactly like real life, but there’s something so disconnected about it right now. I would like this life stage to challenge my sim parents more. For example, some babies want to be held more than others. Having to spend more time caring for the baby would solidify the bond I would expect in that situation.
  • Options
    ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't necessarily care for them to be "real" but I'd at least like the illusion of that to be better. How they are done now makes me feel much more disconnected than TS2-TS3 in which they might have technically been objects as well but didn't feel like it. Not as strongly, especially in TS2. I guess the key issue is their imprisonment to the bassinet doubled with the lack of any stats/info/etc. Heck, they don't even share genetics.

I don't care to see their needs because I like the challenge of having to figure it out but, currently, that supposed "challenge" is meaningless because you just go through the motions every single time. I play with long lifespan and never age up sims prematurely but, I have to confess, babies in TS4 are so boring that in one household I temporarily switched lifespan to normal to quickly be done with it (did not use age up since I wanted to keep the age difference between the siblings consistent).
    I think it'd be neat if babies could actually be different, have "phases" or whatnot. IRL some babies are just easier while the other ones are fussy.
    musteni wrote: »
    I'm fine with the current babies, works well enough for the game. I would absolutely love the resources go to improving teens instead. That lifestage just doesn't feel right.
    Agreed about teenagers. For me they just lack identity and feel like watered down young adults.

Post edited by Thrior on