Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The main game mode is pronounced...

I have heard people use either live (rhymes with hive) or live (rhymes with give) for the normal game mode in the Sims.

How do you pronounce the word in this context?

Yes, this is a silly question, but levity is a good thing most of the time.

The main game mode is pronounced... 179 votes

Live (rhymes with FIVE)
58%
tams2578GalacticGalihavesorelegsnowNighteyesAlexaiColorist40Monet11overonMylitaSasquatch7applefeather2MelisendrexoJessiTheSpotted_CFigwitMaryVannbabajayneelanorbretonAnmirlainvisiblgirl 104 votes
Live (rhymes with GIVE)
36%
Akl500Pauroraael14CK213Mstybl95IrishSimmer21jeepjeepcatalexspoom13alan650111PlayerSinger2010Lavasm77pendragon1980haneulCynnahadklaxtaydevelelunicyLadyKynGracieO312SweetieWright_84cece15624 65 votes
Never thought about it. Either works.
5%
Bluegaylebestfrienemies14bixtersfiercephoenix91MMXPeralSERVERFRAPlumbeebAaleynhymnhehim 10 votes

Comments

• DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited August 2021
    Live (rhymes with GIVE)
    Build mode because you build in it and live mode because you live in it. In my language it is called the mode of life so maybe that is why I read it as live mode :D
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited August 2021
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    well english ain't my first language
    but somehow i prefer to think

"game is live" rather than
    "going to living mode"

either way this problem is :sweat_smile:

cause like technically if you said "live (concert)" in the middle of sentence in my language

you would pronounce live like "living" but youd add the e

so like :sweat_smile: regardless of which i choose...

I just feel first one sounds more natural in english somehow
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    I call it live, as in "we're back live, and the Llamas are up 27-24..."

Going into build mode is calling a timeout or cutting to commercial, and then you rejoin the live action.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Live (rhymes with GIVE)
    I build in build mode. Sims live in live mode.

This is almost like the “glass half full / glass half empty” question. I just don’t know which is which…😂
    Although I don’t do half full. Ever heard of the magic of a top up? Keep that glass full at all times.
    I digress.

I give my sims a way to live in live mode. I also give them a way to die…
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    It never even occurred to me to pronounce it 'live' as in 'give'. 'Live' with a long i is an adjective (or an adverb if modifying a verb); 'live' with a short i is a verb. However, 'build' is also a verb, so it pairs up better - if you're going to use a verb as an adjective, you might as well be consistent.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    "The mode that is live" as opposed to the modes that are static (build/buy and CAS).
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    Live (rhymes with GIVE)
    I've always gone with Live (Give) mode just cause Live (Five) mode just sounds awkward to me.

I will say that the reason for L(Five) makes sense since it is the Live and active mode and L(Give) also works cause it is the mode where you are watching your sims Live their lives. So I guess use what works for you but I am gonna stick with L(Give)
  • hymnhehimhymnhehim Posts: 518 Member
    I know it's supposed to rhyme with give, but I go back & forth because I don't really care :lol:
    Hey, I'm Milo (he/him)! I love The Sims 4, and I've been playing it since December of 2020. My Sims bestie and forums bestie is Gonnawin1111, aka V.
  • HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    I rhyme it with five. I’ve always pronounced it this way because I just assumed it was the opposite of the game being paused, the game was now ‘live’/alive. It took me literally about 15 years to realise there was another group of people out there that pronounced it like give.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    It only makes sense this way
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Live (rhymes with GIVE)
    It's been called live (rhymes with give) since Sim Earth also by Maxis. Never occurred to me to call it anything else. Plus will wright and the gurus always called/call it live with a short I.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited August 2021
    Live (rhymes with GIVE)
    There are two modes for that one button: Building and Living.

Live (rhymes with FIVE) makes less sense when considering the other mode.
    It's not Live (rhymes with FIVE) and Pause. That's an entirely different interface button.
    Pause.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    edited August 2021
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    I always enjoy this discussion, it's interesting to see how different players pronounce it.
    I've always pronounced it this way, I'm not sure why. Looking at everyone's replies, though, I think both options absolutely make sense.
    (Although sometimes I throw all caution to the wind and just call it "play mode"! :wink:)

I wonder if it has anything to do with where different players are from?
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Live (rhymes with GIVE)
    I build in build mode. Sims live in live mode.

This is almost like the “glass half full / glass half empty” question. I just don’t know which is which…😂
    Although I don’t do half full. Ever heard of the magic of a top up? Keep that glass full at all times.
    I digress.

I give my sims a way to live in live mode. I also give them a way to die…

This is how I have always thought about it too. Also, the logic of the top up is spot on. 😉
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Live (rhymes with GIVE)
    Officially it's "live" like "give", so that's how I voted

In my head (since I rarely say it out loud) I still use "live" like "five" because I also think of it as "and we're live" like it's a show of some kind. I just acknowledge to myself that I'm pronouncing it wrong. :smiley:
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    I guess I just always thought of it as live (five) because build/buy is static, unmoving, fixed. Whereas Live (five), is more dynamic and moving.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    I know the dev team rhymes it with "give". I pronounce it to rhyme with "five", as in "live broadcast". "Mode" is a noun, and in modifying it,"live" is an adjective. It would be silly to pronounce it like the verb. Yes, I am a word nerd.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    It’s always been live rhymes with five for me.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    I always pronounced it Live as in Saturday Night Live!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    Live as in "we are on live and on the air"
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    My sims are alive & they want to live. :D:p
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    Live (rhymes with FIVE)
    I always thought of it as similar to "live coverage" or "live streaming" so to me it's live with a long "i" as in five.