Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 devs opening up discussion about expanding the depth of the basegame and

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2021
    I just want more family options in CAS. Why can't I set a sim as "boyfriend" "housemate" (by this I mean starting out as friends and not acquaintances) "fiancee" or even "aunt" or "grandparent"?

I've given up on freeing the babies, ceiling paint, and swimmable areas in other worlds. Just give me a tool that makes game set up SO MUCH EASIER.

(And yes, if story progression is added, I will NOT be using it)
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    VentusMatt wrote: »
    I know they said that they are updating lore and sims appearances but did they say they are adding story progressions?

No. They said what you say they said. But some are taking it as an opportunity to ride their hobbyhorse through the forums, imply that they did, or suggest that they "have to" now.

We are not even sure what the updating lore and appearance polish will entail, other than that they intend to go through base game and all packs.

I think their going to update skin tone on npcs but I would not mind story progression in game
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited August 2021
    @carpe_diem
    This is so true. Also implementing this in the npcs would also add to lore.

#FixThePersonalities
    #BringBackTheMemories
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited August 2021
    Hmm…

As I have heard it you could turn off Story Progression in Sims 3 but that doesn’t mean it worked well.

Also, how would that jive with rotational play. Those are very very big questions.

If a new patch with something as game-altering as Story Progression is released then the time that we currently have between patches is too short for me to be certain that I will be able to continue with my preferred way of playing. One month to know that I will be able to do rotational play sans Story.

This is currently the only game I play and I have invested a lot of time and money on it. I mean, sure, I could hope that the forum knew it all after 3 weeks. Then again, we didn’t know straight away that vampires stopped going round in the evenings. It took some time for that to be apparent. That missing vampires irks me a a lot but it is nothing to Story Progression.

Since I really want to be able to play this way I would probably go in a long long hiatus and return would not be certain. Why risk it? I could just grab all mods and cc that is out there for the latest patch I had and call it Rotational Legend. No more patching, just playing.

Lol, I still keep all my doors locked. I do get vamps showing up at night on my door steps ( or at least I did after getting University ). I still have one sim in San Myshuno that a vamp likes to drink from…. Lol….. I have to watch out for that or she is too drained to go to work…… and I don’t even play the vamps, lol.

Oh, and I’m afraid story progression will mess up my 2014 rotational play. Though it may make me want to play a legacy. Hopefully it will be toggled off at the beginning of a game and for current games, and we can toggle it on if we want to.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    As much as I would love Story Progression, the game is in a constant state of broken or buggy that there is no way they could maintain it as that is a rather complex feature and would break or break something else. I don't know the size of their bug fixing team; but its clearly not enough for the game.

Unfortunately going to have to rely on MCCC for it.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Was story progression even enjoyable in TS3? I don't think so.

I don't think we'll get anything near the depth and care of deaderpools MCCC, so probably people would start complaining and revert to MCCC. If there isn't a toggle to turn story progression of, players who are content with no storyprogression cannot even go on playing with what they knew since the release of TS4.
    Nope why we had to use NRAAs mods back then too. MCCC thankfully was inspired by that mod which was inspired by the Sims 2 Insiminator tool, so it has been nice having a multi-tool mod option for multiple games now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I've been thinking about story progression a lot lately. And I think it is a good idea, I loved it in TS3. However, I would need to set my OWN percentage to prevent baby booms.

Another thing is, I would love to have an option to encourage my sims' friends to try for a baby, as we could do so in TS3. It is a useful interaction.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    With the new NPC updates they were talking about I've been thinking a lot about how npcs are handled in the game and I definitely think the game NEEDS a way to manage and assign npc roles in the world and on community lots. Just more control over how sims move between worlds and where they are allowed to spawn would drastically change the game for the better. Also community lots could need a serious upgrade and could be SO much more flexible if we could assign chores and npc roles per lot. I'm gonna try to make a case for that for sure. Also we need a better personality system - they definitely should update and evolve the likes and dislikes to include a lot more and also lot challenges are a great concept that they could evolve indefinitely.

YES!!

Let me design my own NPC-sims for different lots. That is something I would really enjoy.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I agree, even though sims 3 had story progression it wasn't as flushed out as it could of been. Plus it was optional and you can just disable it for rotational players. I'm not a rotational player, i stick to one sim(s) family and let the rest of world go by. It brings in that extra realism in opinon.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member
    Story progression isn't something that I want to see in TS4. If they went ahead and implemented it anyway, I would hope for plenty of toggles to come with it. Like others, I'm also a micromanager, and I hate it when Sims or townies do things that I don't want them to do.

I don't think story progression is the best way to improve depth. When I think about depth, I think about the individual Sims themselves, their personalities, their quirks, and anything that makes them different and unique. With that in mind, what I would prefer to see over story progression is:
    • More relationship options in CAS
    • Improved and updated whims
    • Wants and fears
    • Memories
    • A traits overhaul, because they currently don't impact a Sims personality enough, and there needs to be more traits to choose from in general
    • An attraction system, complete with turn ons and turn offs
    • More consequences for actions such as a Sim cheating on their spouse
    • Continue to build upon lifestyles and sentiments
    • Improved family trees

Then there's also the fact that TS4 could really do with optimizing and fine tuning, because it's getting bloated and the bugs seem to be getting worse. Overall, I just think there are other aspects of the game that ought to be focused on first, rather than adding a complex feature like story progression.
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited August 2021
    @PlanetSixam I really agree on your ideas! Want&Fears, Consequences and Memories would be awesome!
    @StrawberryYogurt

I feel that Lifestyles, Favorites / Dislikes, etc. can’t reach their full potential because the Base game lacks foundation. The lack of personality has been a problem since 2014 (and thanks @StrawberryYogurt for starting #FixThePersonalities thread, it's much needed!). They must have lost a lot of players bc of this (I included many times).

Not sure why they waste their ideas like this? 😕 Things like Lifestyles are a cool idea but being Lactose intolerant and a Workaholic may be a challenge, but it's not a personality. Without a foundation these features unfortunately all fall flat in the end.

Maybe we all just need to ask for #FixThePersonalities and
    #BringBackTheMemories the 19th of aug?

• Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2021
    I tried MCCC story progression and I didn't like it. All it did was fill my game with badly dressed sims that I was constantly having to make over.
    I too play with aging off and do not want my "unplayed sims" (who are actually my sims that I'm currently not playing) to get married, divorced, have kids, move out, die, etc ..... NOPE! Not interested.

I'm interested in seeing these "smarter sims" they advertised from the beginning.

I'm interested in better Autonomy, making traits that actually work.
    - Brainy, bookworm sims would be more likely to gravitate towards grabbing a book rather than "trolling the forums" on a PC.
    - Slob traited sims don't autonomously clean up and do dishes or take the trash out
    - Athletic sims would rather jog, work out, swim, etc rather than being obsessed with their phone or computer, etc.

I'm interested in "seeing" how my sims feel rather than having a pop-up telling me how they feel.

I'm interested in sims "remembering" things
    - Don't get into a major fight with the neighbor or see your spouse/significant other cheat on you and then 5 minutes later be joking and hugging that sim

I'm interested in actual "group" activities,
    -Not this oh there's 3 kids at the park but that's just it, 3 different individual kids doing THEIR own thing, it's not 3 kids "playing with each other"

There are so so soooo many more things for me personally that would add depth than story-progression

I honestly would rather see these types of improvements to the game ^^.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Kinda a hard disagree as I don't think this should be a top priority. With longer family tree's at that it's pretty borked and sims can't seem to recognize some sims as family if you know what I mean. *Sweet home Alabama*

I'm still waiting for things like more base game traits, better weddings (unplayed sims getting married while sims still don't like to just sit down and watch a wedding), burglars, more depth to certain life stages, more consequences through sims actions and jobs, attraction--

Sims are slowly getting there with things like the sentiments, but definitely need them more fleshed out.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    KhrisstyneKhrisstyne Posts: 368 Member
    edited August 2021
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    TS3 has been my formative simming experience, so I love story progression. I would love for it to be available in TS4 too, but it would definitely need an on/off toggle in the Options menu. Not just for the sake of players who hate it and would never use it: even I who love SP don't want to have it on in all my saves.

I also think it would be good to have an advanced Story Progression menu, accessible if you turn SP on, in which the player could choose if they want unplayed sims to, for example:
    - start romances
    - gain friends and enemies
    - get married
    - have children
    - get jobs and/or quit jobs
    - learn skills
    - advance in their jobs
    - break up/get divorced
    - die of causes other than old age
    All of these and SP itself should be "off" by default, so that they don't affect players who want to continue playing the game as it is.

I think this is what I was thinking about when I saw that so many people do not want story progression on here. Always think there will be options. I don't want pre-teens but there should be options for that.

This advanced options would be awesome as someone who loved TS3 SP but didn't like certain aspects about it. Because I just cannot go through each household and help with this stuff. It's tedious to me.
    AviaWinters.tumblr.com
    AviaTheDramaFiend.wordpress.com
    (not always sims related but I review and discuss television shows and movies. Foreign or not.)

I play on console and PC now! YAY!
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I agree with Story Progression, and it doesn't have to be as ''messed up'' as TS3 Story Progression (eventho I personaly see no problem with it). Also we could have a toggle to turn it on or off, like that for everybody in this thread having a problem with it it'd be settled.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I don’t want story progression either. I’m pleasantly surprised that other people feel the way I do for once!

I would prefer dancing together, more dance styles, playing music together, and more musical instruments.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I want it to be harder to be happy, wealthy and to die of old age. I want to see obstacles to these, to have to work for it and not have any of them be basically guaranteed.
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    I would like that too.

I'd like the option to start with lower or greater funds

Something like
    -5000 - difficult
    -10000 - hard
    -15000 -medium
    -20000 - easy

Then they can get apartments or eventually afford to move into a house. If love a rental house option as a in-between.

I would love bills to make more sense. I am not really sure how they are supposed to come up with the figures now.

Careers - I wish they did not make so much each day. If the wages were lowered or the difficulty to get a promotion a little more work it would balance out a little. I don't want to reach millionaire status right away but a few generations in.

University- I would love to take out student loans as an added expense.

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited August 2021
    I just want more family options in CAS. Why can't I set a sim as "boyfriend" "housemate" (by this I mean starting out as friends and not acquaintances) "fiancee" or even "aunt" or "grandparent"?

I've given up on freeing the babies, ceiling paint, and swimmable areas in other worlds. Just give me a tool that makes game set up SO MUCH EASIER.

(And yes, if story progression is added, I will NOT be using it)

I won’t give up on freeing babies….. I want that so badly. But I would love to be able to set options in CAS too for Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Step Children, step brothers, step sisters, even an adopted child, along with boyfriend, girlfriend, and friends,

Also I think it sould be great if we could pick our NPC workers, cooks, booth people, bar tenders, plumber, etc. if we wanted to, but I think we should be able to open up non played sims skills for that, that way we have the choice to pick skilled or non skilled people.

Also, I wish there was a cheat to add $50 increments to a sims funds.

Also, can sims choose who to give their house and funds to upon death? I think we should have this, and I think if a child is left alone ( parents die ), that they should automatically become adoptable.
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Was story progression even enjoyable in TS3? I don't think so.

I don't think we'll get anything near the depth and care of deaderpools MCCC, so probably people would start complaining and revert to MCCC. If there isn't a toggle to turn story progression of, players who are content with no storyprogression cannot even go on playing with what they knew since the release of TS4.

My thoughts exactly. I personally like a certain amount of control over story progression but not to the point of micromanaging everything. I use MCCC and its many, many options to customize such things in my own preferred way. It's extremely unlikely that the game could/would emulate that capability, so I'd never use it (assuming that it would be optional, that is). And if it weren't optional, well... that would just be one more tick on the list of reasons I should move on to other games.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    stepbot153stepbot153 Posts: 284 Member
    As the biggest fan of story progression, I don't think thats the best place to start.
    The sims themselves need to have depth, its a life simulation game not a doll house. How these seems interact with the world under your control. How it affects them etc.

C6y3sJN.jpg
    My wishlist [x]
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't really consider this a depth thing, I am going to mention it anyway.

We do really need more meal options for toddlers. HEALTHY ones! Like broccoli, creamy carrot soup... Whatever healthy that we can choose via the highchair.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Plumb0b_ClairePlumb0b_Claire Posts: 63 Member
    I agree with Story Progression, and it doesn't have to be as ''messed up'' as TS3 Story Progression (eventho I personaly see no problem with it). Also we could have a toggle to turn it on or off, like that for everybody in this thread having a problem with it it'd be settled.

Exactly, a toggle feature would be added so both sides win. There could be options to turn off/on certain things if you would enable it as well.

Don't want story progression? Toggle off
    Want story progression? Toggle on

All simmers happy :)

Mods (as much as I use them and love them) have long compensated for the missing features that the Sims 4 needs. They have filled in the gaps that the gameplay has. If this wasn't a red flag to EA to fix the game then I don't know what is. But then again, they have patched in toddlers, pools, ladders and more. So who knows, maybe we can push for some change.
    Here's my response to what I think will add depth to the basegame in the Sims 411 - Forum Feedback!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959481#Comment_17959481
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    As an option, it would be great. Vampires could observe what families had kids, which ones died off, who becomes wealthy and who loses their wealth to (insert reason here).

I also wish that hacking would leave an impression on the targets, like receiving less money the next few times you hack them, if you don't wait a while first, or notice ads on TV about needing help defending them or showing police investigating. How can you never get caught? They really need to add jails again.