Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Regarding Premades Lore Updates

Comments

• AaleynAaleyn Posts: 300 Member
    I also do not know if anyone notices. After the newest update, if we renamed the premades, it comes back to their initial names.
    For instance, Olive Tinker has got her name back after I renamed her Dee P. Tinker before

Really? I haven't noticed this yet, because I had a small break from playing, and I just yesterday updated my game with the newest patch, and after updating, I only played in build mode yesterday.
    Is this really happening? Are the names of the premades changing back to the original names if the player have changed their names?
    If so, I really don't like this at all :neutral:
    In my saves, I have several premades that I'm playing, and for many of them, I have changed their names and I want to keep them as the way I set them.
    I have to check this in my saves...
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • SimDestroyerSimDestroyer Posts: 335 Member
    I wonder if they'll also update (some of) the premade houses in Willow Creek or Oasis Springs with pools, terrain, ponds etc.
  • jheyjuneicejheyjuneice Posts: 335 Member
    I don't play with premades, I let them do whatever and replaced a lot of them but from watching a youtuber fix the premades and lore it was pretty crazy to see how weirdly and poorly done they were. Missing relationships, no indication of the actual backstory, etc. I guess if you don't care about them then it makes no difference but updating them could garner interest and if anyone actually does care about it I see it as a small thing that can help. That being said, I only play with one save and don't intend on making another one so this won't affect me at all. MCCC has the premades all over the place anyway. I understand everyone saying they would rather focus go elsewhere but surely this is so small it won't detract from anything else? Like 2 or 3 people can sit there adding sentiments and updating their clothes, right?
    6Y6GB8R.png
  • chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    I remember one of the first patches they changed "Zest Johnny" to "Johnny Zest" and Olivia Spencer-Kim-Lewis to "Olivia Kim-Lewis" in both instances I beleive you had to do a new game for each. So may guess is that the Lore will only carry over to new saves.

In terms of reasons why, the main thing would be to accommodate the Skin Tones, Sentiments and Hot/Cold outfits. Certainly sentiments make a lot of sense as thus far it's just Mt Komorebi and Henford on Bagely which have Sims with sentiments.
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    Like most things these days when it comes to the sims, I'm interested but I have my apprehensions and I'm sure something about this in the end will not be up to our expectations.

I've been playing since TS1 days, so I love to see the families I've been familiar with actually have their personalities (and looks *cough cough caliente sisters*). But after 7 years, this really is not a priority for me? When there's so much of the game at this point that needs help/attention? Like, I was extremely disappointed with the way they handled the well known sim families this gen, but I went in and fixed them myself at this point, and people who don't care about them either deleted them or aged them out of existence (or just ignore them).

I wish we knew which team was working on this, because really focus needs to be elsewhere. What good is this NPC update going to do when sims are still functionally all the same? Likes and dislikes are basically just an added coat of paint (like most things in the game). Our sims still struggle to have personality. They said they were going to keep updating likes/dislikes but I haven't heard them talk about it since the initial patch. But that's kind of the sim team's MO. Be cryptic and don't give the community much information so they can speculate for months and then deal with whatever fallout happens when they actually tell us anything.

So, like with most things lately, I feel this NPC update is just going to be another coat of paint. New look, functionally useless. I'm also afraid that it might bring some problems with it. Since there's no way they will be able to apply this update to older saves, how will this impact older saves? Like going forward? I just hope it doesn't cause any problems with future updates. I don't trust the sims team with updates, especially big ones like this.

The only real thing that could get me "excited" I guess you could say about this NPC update is if we can finally have some control over the ACTUAL NPCs who keep walking around my town dressed in the most random assortment of clothes you could imagine. Stop the NPCs from constantly spawning! I tried to edit a bunch of them (I did like 30 before I got tired), but they just keep spawning, and now I barely see the ones I put effort into fixing. Why do we need so many new NPCs?? (I play with aging off so it's not like they're dying or anything).

And the team said they plan on doing this with sims from Willow Creek to HoB... That's a LOT. Like I said earlier (and like many of you have said), I'd like to see these resources go elsewhere.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    It's too late. After all those years players already got attached to households the way they are. Adding official elements now is very likely to trample over an expanded backstory and goals that players have come up with for the premades. Even adding Likes and Dislikes to anybody from before Cottage Living is very slippery territory. I have a clear picture of my favs and don't care how Maxis views them.

@troshalom
    I expect the updated lore to only take affect in new save. However, old saves have been know to break with updates, so saving one's favorites to the library might be a good idea.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    I agree, it should have been there since the beginning.

However, I think the game was developed so badly, that they didn't have the technology to make them very complex in 2014. There were no Sentiments, no Likes/ Dislikes and no Family Trees. So they could only flesh them out by giving them the boring traits in the base game.

Better late than never, I guess :D

Who knows the tech maybe was there but they cut everything in Sims 4 that did exist in previous versions. Like with all the features that was cut so did the lore part. However, It is nice to see it come back but beyond that I really rather see the Editing/Creation tools return but that happening is slim to none.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • lexibeelexibee Posts: 163 Member
    At this point this just feels like a waste of resources. I appreciate them wanting to actually put some care into long time beloved NPCs, but at this point the team has so many other things they need to focus on that this feels.... out of place. And also very late. Just more coats of paint. Because sims still don't have any personality. So how much is this update really going to change? How they look/their relationships actually reflecting what their bio states? Ok... but what about after that? You know.. in actual gameplay.

The "lore" in earlier games (especially TS2) worked because sims had personality outside of their little blurbs. In TS2 specifically there were special events that would happen with these families that gave them half of their lore in the first place. TS4 does not function this way. Everything is made up in your head. Random or planned events do not exist in this game. So, once these NPCs get updated, what happens next? Well..... nothing it seems.

So in the end, it's just another cosmetic update with no real depth. I don't know which team was assigned this update, but these resources need to go elsewhere.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don’t care either way as long as the story box in household info on the map view stays and remains editable. I have my own head canon about some premades and fix their relationships with either MCCC or UI Cheats Extension. I do wish they would give us uneven relationships. Like in my head cannon Geoffrey Landgraab is mooney eyed for Nancy, but Nancy can barely stand him. It would be great if we could set that up in the relationships panel. So that the love sick sim was maybe always trying to flirt with the other and the other was turning them down flat every time. Unrequited love/friendship is always a fun storyline.

I won’t be mad though if they go through and set sentiments and relationships to match existing canon but I have a feeling it will mostly be unicorns 🦄 and rainbows 🌈 all around.
  • ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    I had to google the word lore but I still don't understand. Are they writing background stories for premades? That would be quite a waste of resources. In my game of eternal generations the premades are dead since 2014.

This is my thought. Kind of a bizarre use of resources, because any premade that didn't have their story completely rewritten by yours truly (poor, poor Cassandra Goth, you don't have to sell your body to the night...) were killed off or else edited in CAS to be completely unrecognizable compared to their premade origins. How many people actually play premade stories vs. creating their own world and the sims to put in it? I suspect there are a lot more of the former than I realize for EA to be spending money on it, but it's just...weird to me.

(he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    I hope that we actually see some storylines develop, and not just retooling. Maybe Don is sleeping with Eliza, Katrina and Johnny Zest? Maybe Nancy is enemies with Bella and is growing a cowplant to have it eat her? One of the big draws of past games, was how nearly everyone's stories would connect with each other in some way. Relationships were messy, stories intertwined, and while stories could be appreciated on their own, they would be so much better once you realize they're just a piece in a jigsaw puzzle.

Can they connect base game sims to DLC? So if you download Snowy Escape, could Eliza and Bob have a festering grudge with the Akiyama family, and maybe a story relating to them? That would be so crazy, though. Imagine how cool it would be to have a running plotline that expands with every pack. We kind of got a bit of that with Vlad being distantly related to a family on Maxis' Gallery.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Aaleyn wrote: »
    I also do not know if anyone notices. After the newest update, if we renamed the premades, it comes back to their initial names.
    For instance, Olive Tinker has got her name back after I renamed her Dee P. Tinker before

Really? I haven't noticed this yet, because I had a small break from playing, and I just yesterday updated my game with the newest patch, and after updating, I only played in build mode yesterday.
    Is this really happening? Are the names of the premades changing back to the original names if the player have changed their names?
    If so, I really don't like this at all :neutral:
    In my saves, I have several premades that I'm playing, and for many of them, I have changed their names and I want to keep them as the way I set them.
    I have to check this in my saves...

I just checked in my game and the names of the premades reverted back to the original.
    I got tired of the translated names for the goths and calientes and changed them. Now they are back.
    I also replaced the sage Morgyn with Aine by heavily editing Morgyn in CAS. Now this sim is called Morgyn again. Even a Morgyn clone I had in my game got changed.

I don't like it. I don't mind changing the template for new games but existing saves should not be changed, especially without a notification. I hope this won't mean the lore update will override all player made changes made to the premades.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I had to google the word lore but I still don't understand. Are they writing background stories for premades? That would be quite a waste of resources. In my game of eternal generations the premades are dead since 2014.

So sims already have background stories but for the most part those stories don't actually translate into game. Like mentioned before Eliza and Bob being happy when their story is that they are at odds or how many of the sims in Windenburg aren't friends with their club mates.

This update will most likely be them fixing these disconnects with story and actual gameplay maybe even fixing sims lack of skills compared to their jobs they have. Many of the base game sims have no skills for the careers they are in. They may even be updating/changing stories to so sims in certain worlds are actually connected.

Also for those saying this is a waste of resources and that Maxis should be focusing on fixing bugs and adding new content they have different teams. They have a EP, GP, SP, Kit, Bug fixes, and Engagement team. The Engagement team is usually the one handling adding free content in patches as well as handling in game events like the Dia De Los Muertos event and the recent Music Festival event. This will most likely be handled by the Engagement team and honestly I am okay with them working on this over giving us a new chair.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Better late than never.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

Not everybody plays in a long running save and the lack or lore plus proper set up stories and relationships has been a complaint for a long time in the game. I'm also playing in a long running save where these changes will most likely not have any effect but I still don't see it as a waste of resources if it improves the game for other players.
  • Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    Who knows what might change about the goths, cassandra goth gets a BF moretimer goth constantly woohooing with bella goth all night long or Alexandre goth gets bullied at school for being a nerd

On that note what is there to learn about the goths in the console version?
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    edited August 2021
    I don't remember Sims 1 on console too much, but in Bustin' Out it was just Bella and Mortimer, they didn't have kids (this might be in a timeline on console where they're older because I think they had kids in Sims 1). Mortimer also looked older, I'd even say he resembled an elder more. They lived on a lot that was reminiscent of a castle, it's haunted with ghosts. They had a séance room with a séance table you could use to get rid of the ghosts, and a green house type building in the back with a incubator in it that creates plants that eat trash. Mortimer is part of the Mad Scientist career and Bella is a part of the Movie Star career. Mortimer was also notorious for always playing the synthesizer when you're on the lot, like non-stop lol. Mortimer from Bustin' Out was more like the non-vampire version of Vlad in my opinion, which is why I always seen them fit more in Forgotten Hollow.

Edit: Just looked up info on Sims 1 console (it's been a long time since I played) and Cassandra was in the Sims 1.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,851 Member
    wow- I wonder if @Keidra or @Kellogg_J_Kellogg or others who play with heavily modified premades are having this issue?

I am playing almost all premades right now but I haven't changed them in CAS. Just regular aging and gameplay developments. Haven't noticed anything odd.

• SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,945 Member
    edited August 2021
    wow- I wonder if @Keidra or @Kellogg_J_Kellogg or others who play with heavily modified premades are having this issue?

I am playing almost all premades right now but I haven't changed them in CAS. Just regular aging and gameplay developments. Haven't noticed anything odd.

only issue ive noticed so far is that i edited my calientes to look bit more ts2 vibes before but when they show up as npc they still look like their old version 100% so like everytime Nina runs a stall...(which is usually strangerville one) poor girl surely has a bad day...
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Chesster_WammyChesster_Wammy Posts: 80 Member
    @Aaleyn @Atreya33 You can solve this by retransfer your "saves" file (move it then put it back again). It is working for me. Hope it works for you too
  • Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    the only game in the sims series that is missing lore is the sims urbz, sims 2 console, sims 2 pets console and sims 2 castaway console
  • Chesster_WammyChesster_Wammy Posts: 80 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »

only issue ive noticed so far is that i edited my calientes to look bit more ts2 vibes before but when they show up as npc they still look like their old version 100% so like everytime Nina runs a stall...(which is usually strangerville one) poor girl surely has a bad day...

This sounds frustrating. It is like they are "messing with my toys" kind of feeling. Have you tried to retransfer your "before update" saves file? Does it work?

• KeidraKeidra Posts: 460 Member
    edited August 2021
    wow- I wonder if Keidra or Kellogg_J_Kellogg or others who play with heavily modified premades are having this issue?

If you mean Ezio, he's not built off Morgyn. As in, I didn't just grab Morgyn, do a makeover, and end up with Ezio, he was created as a separate Sim, thus the game wouldn't recognise him as a Morgyn clone.
    I do this with all premade Sims I play heavily.
    白雪夏夜我不停歇
    我并不感到困扰

I am kind to everyone. But if you are unkind to me, kindness is not what you will remember me for.
    I am autistic. Wording isn't my strong suit.

Stop player on player violence.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    When update Willow Creek, I hope than Pancakes household include their toddler